Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

U.T. Raptor posted:

The floating island is west of the Aurora on the surface, it's hard to see unless you get close. I recommend bringing a beacon and marking it.

It is southwest of the aurora, directly south from the safe shallows . Honestly man, if you are gonna spoil the exploration for him/her at least send them in the right direction,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

Played on Experimental up to the Prawn update. Now I'm doing my damnedest to not play any more until release. It really does feel like we're in the home stretch and I am totally not deluding myself in regards to a release date.

On a related note, is the game still ballparking for a December/January release?

Just looked trough the roadmap... and you can calmly forget about february release. The reason is all the stuff still unscheduled in the 'unknown' category, meaning one of two things: until the team enters crunch (or panic-we-are-running-out-of-funding-mode), that stuff is neither getting done or axed :) And as long as they still want it in but not getting that scheduled, they won't release.

I'm guessing next summer, depending on the breaks

(the core team is what, 8~people-ish? With all this ambition still in, they need either more folks or high crunch late november to polish-done before march's end reliably)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

a) no
b) no

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Adding it this late also makes you wonder if they take any dates seriously. Release dates namely. Like, how the gently caress do they intend to pay salaries if they never release their product? They can't possibly think "oh, we'll do just fine staying in early access forever, adding new poo poo whenever we think new poo poo would be cool, instead of finishing the stuff we talked about from the beginning - it's not like people who bought our game for those yet unfulfilled promises are gonna want their money back? Because of course we intend to get our sales from a finished product and not just treat this as some never-ending pay-for-what-we-will-make-later development funding process because this keeps us employed longer"

because that would be unconscionable.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

She/he meant Star Citizen, not SubNautica.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Ok, there is a marvelous amount of things to be upset about in subnautica (and a great amount to love too); aaand you decide to be upset at the manatees? Because they fart?
Mister, just swim away a bit. The manatees will calm down.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Section Z posted:

That would be a more meaningful claim if their calming down also went alongside them leaving :v: Rather than hanging around and flipping the gently caress out again when you eventually return because that's the only fabricator you start out with.

Nah man, just abandon your lifepod entirely rather than disturb those poor, innocent creatures who only want to put a dent in your hunger bar for the mean and nasty act of using the hatch on your lifepod.

Alright didn't now it kept on happening to you, and inside the pod. Yep, thats a proper bug.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Wow. Buying a complete license is not a problem if your company exists in a country with normal IP law (aka not Russia/China). They cant hide behind that. It's six-figure expensive sure, but it is a very normal thing to do for a AAA studio.

Subnautica's clipping issues has nothing to do with that. Or the geometry of the map for that matter. I'm not entirely sure of the solutions used, but, making assumptions:
The Sea Satan is this long, articulated thing, and uses a simplistic collision geometry like everything else to save on physics calculations. Evidently that collision box isn't set up properly for the engine to stop that bastard from going through. You could solve it by just using a gently caress of big box, writing different spawn code that doesn't just spawn completely new loving creatures all the loving time (instead, f.ex., you could remember positions and make creatures static when outside player vicinity), or if you brute force it, make the big ones spawn with different code, checking against a premade table of co-ordinates that says 'not below this depth, because that's the sea floor' (aka A MAP). I think they said that they don't use a premade map but generate it in-engine instead at launch, and I can see how that would make it tricky to write a spawn system if there's no game file to check valid locations against (still, you could fix that with a table of coordinates with maximum spawn depth at that grid point).

They've either hosed up the spawn code, hosed up the map generation leaving holes in the collision geometry, or they take things offline at unfortunate distances meaning there might not be geometry for the reapers to collide with in the first place. You don't need source if you modify your design. This isn't rocket science.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I would be A OK with them just releasing the game as it stood last year, quite frankly. It's was a atmospheric swimming game worth at least 15$ already. But when the devs don't release and go on saying "we're making it betterer! No release till it's good!" at least I can't help thinking of what good-er would look like, and go "Nooo, you're making it worseeee" about the weird changes. Can't help being enticed or critical when the devs keep going. And when the the technical issues seems the most damaging but the team isn't pushing code alterations, you start questioning someones judgement. Why do they keep changing design goals? Focus god drat you!

I feel like a toddler eating ice cream while being told grandpa's gonna to make it more fantastic, and then he mixes in old leaves. Like, why didn't grandpa just put more ice cream in. Do you understand what's wrong with us know?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

here are the cyclops changes in case anyone cares:

Built in lockers increased from 3x4 to 3x6.
Bonehsarks, River Prowlers, and Lava Lizards will no longer attack and damage the Cyclops.
Upgrade console increased from 4 to 6 slots.
Thermal Charger upgrade increased in efficiency.
Shields no longer have a time limit and now just toggleable on and off with a constant power drain tradeoff.
Silent Running ability no longer has a time limit and cooldown. Now toggleable now with a constant power drain tradeoff.
Decoys changed from 3x3s to 2x2s. Copper wire ingredient requirement has also been removed.
Light has been range increased and they no longer affect creature aggression.
Lava Larva show up on Cyclops holographic damage display.

Now these are all good things! They worked well this time. Code optimization tho... and as everyone here knows, they should be making any new content mostly so other staff has something to do. Who knows what the finances look like but they haven't fired anyone I guess?

Still, could you imagine if the game got proper draw distance on console hardware? I think Subnautica could get shockingly successful if they only could solve that gordian knot.

Least they not adding bad content.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 21, 2017

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Btw, try non-survival mode if you haven't. Really ups the good parts more than it should.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Wow, watching the stream was a wrong move. The devs come of as pretty unsympathetic. Moving on, what does the modding stand at right now? Is it only the asset packs that are accessible through Unity, or is the game open to add new code/functionality? I.e., have they encrypted stuff?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The game is fantastic now! They have done a close to perfect rebalancing of the resource cost compared to the early access, and now everything just feels easy and fun again. I even started in survival mode and the food/water is still so much less annoying than what it was before. Shure the pop-in is there just the same but it isn't totally catastrophic, it's "merely" bad. Game's still terrifying and fun tho!
And that really caught me of guard! The devs are a weird bunch, but they've done good here (suddenly, I might add). 12h in since release and the game is entirely redeemed for me.

Bad stuff could easily be summarised as the pop-in, a bit of the voice acting, the technical glitches, the unpolished VR, and the uncertainty of what's moddable. If those things could be sorted out inside half a decade of post release support (or bruteforce hardware for the pop-in)? Then people might still be playing this in five years time, easily. It's that good.

There seems to be a lot less bone sharks, while the reapears appears to be less bugfuck angry to boot. Instead, the sea satan is this lone, terrifying, menacing, demon monster again. (It was like that when I first bought the game, then the devs changed the spawns or detection ranges/aggro, somehow now it's like old times!)
And for what its worth, I've built a scanner room and the satans are still screaming.

Haven't bothered with the cyclops. But prawn suit drill arm/moon pool/scanner room are much easier to find now, and the scanner room is almost the best thing in base.

tl/dr: early access bad, release rebalanced and good. Pop-in still there, short sight ranges still there, yet game fun/terrifying. They honestly did good.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Someone said that you could plop it down in a cave with lots of mineral clusters for instance and it would suck up all the clusters. I haven't tried it tho, i don't have one in my current game.

I have. It pulls all the sandstone and whatnot straight from the seabed, and when you crack them it grabs the minerals inside so they don't roll away from you. Like rock hunting with a vacuum cleaner.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are there any cheevos related to Survival mode? Because I'm some way off automating a food and water supply and I'm getting sick of these Bladderfish.

It's blatantly obvious that there are no surviving human NPCs, because that would completely shift the game into something more linear and overtly story focused.

Pick up all the salt you see on the bottom and then knife the big yellow coral tubes once for each piece of salt. With the salt and coral you make bleach wich you then turn into 2x sterile water. Get 20 salt (= 40 bottles) and you'll forget about water.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Early game is still a big bummer, it’s just a lot of searching for resources and I can’t even try the scanner room yet cause I still need a bunch of stuff to get along with desperately needing a battery recharger I haven’t found yet.

You gotta stop and watch the flowers, maan. Don't go be all like stressed out? Like, enjoy the scenery braa? It's spaced out out there! (Exploring for the hell of it is how I've stumbled upon most of the lifesaving pieces. hosed up, but it cuts down on the build-game-frustration something immense)

And Section Z, always with them negative vibes! Dude... dude.

E. ok, so Kelly's Heroes is now some sort of nazi meme? Well that is really depressing. drat.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 27, 2018

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

So I'm not sure if I've gotten to areas way before I should get to them. I wandered into the Lost River (I think? Skeletons and water that hurts you at the bottom?), and followed it into a lava zone. I found the alien thermal plant, (and died to a Sea Dragon), and it's pointed me in the direction of another facility.

At this point I've got the Cyclops with the mk2 depth upgrade, so I think I need the mk3 to proceed. I don't have the Prawn suit yet, and I'm dreading making my way back to the surface to build it. I had enough resources to build a bunch of ion power cells, and I've got a tiny forward base at the Giant Cove Tree.

I've gotten 2 of the weird "come find me" messages, and I think most of the Lifepods. I haven't gotten to 2 yet but I have the beacon for it. Am I missing anything major, or should I just build the final Cyclops depth module and head to that alien facility?

Hmmm, it's doable with the mk3'd Cyclops, absolutely. And no, you haven't missed anything, this is how long (short) the game is.

But: I gather you haven't visited the Aurora? No matter, you'll be pointed there eventually anyway for a blueprint. Coincidentally, the ship is littered with prawnsuits that are scanable if you still want one.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

New game announced;

https://www.beyondbluegame.com/

Made by bbc apparently, release early next year. Research Mission in earth ocean. Swimming like subnautica, but no survival.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Going in blind was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I spent so much time in the shallows during the early access, just... being there.

And then making your mini-expeditions of discovery;
Man. It was like playing s.t.a.l.k.e.r. again in a way!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Soho Joe posted:

Thread needs more cursed images

Hello Sea Satan my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Go to places you've been before, look for holes in the ground. Deep holes.

Go deeper.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Waffle House posted:

Wait, you can just smash them with the grabber fist?

Yup.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I have, but I haven't seen any magnetite yet.

Look for deep caves close to the shallows, or far south/north. Magnetite starts at about 250m down.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Ossipago posted:

I just played this from the Epic launcher giveaway and it was one of the most enjoyable games I've played in years. I can't believe I would have overlooked it otherwise. It evoked something reminiscent of Super Metroid, that feeling of curiosity mixed with dread going deeper and deeper into alien biomes, upgrading just barely enough to deal with the increasing threats and dying to know what's around the next corner.

Besides the fact that they knocked every aspect of the game out of the park, I think the most critical reason I put so many hours into it was how the perfectly paced story was revealed via your own searching, with an actual goal (as much as I hated it to end). There's something about aimless wandering in most survival games that makes me lose interest pretty quick. Is there anything else that has a decent story/ending? I've heard good things about the Forest, though I'd prefer a setting more otherworldly.

In a way, the STALKER games gave me the exact same feeling of exploratory wandering for a specific goal. Especially the first one, Shadow of Chernobyl.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Sininu posted:

I got a new system week ago and I decided to attempt playing this again. It still performs like crap despite having RTX 2060 and R7 3700X, mainly heavy stuttering at times and pop-in is very noticeable. It is manageable though so I'll try to get through this.

Google the solution to mod one of the files for extra draw distance or distance for loading in world objects in memory. It's that loading that creates the pop-in, and it was posted about earlier in the thread.
Ie forcing the game to front load poo poo in your 128 gigs of ram is useful, who knew :downsa:

(Not the devs, as someone used to scream in early access)

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 24, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

That's how it goes. drat all the 4channers and their ilk to hell. I've found 7? capsules in all my playthroughs, all but 2 consisting soley of actual poo poo or gasbags and crude messages.

The two that didn't gave me hope in humanity.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mason Dixon posted:

I have a terrible sense of direction and constantly got lost, but not having a map (at least initially) helped the immersion. I would've liked if you could eventually have made a map, but not without some effort. Like if one of the scanner room upgrades was to make you a partial map of the scannable area, which you could use in the vehicles. Or if all the nav beacons you set up in an area could be connected to make a map of that area, but if one of the beacons was destroyed by something, you'd lose the map and know something new and dangerous was in the area.

This is a very good idea.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Don't think there's a date, and besides, considering how much they decided to change and how the dates during the dev of original Subnautica went, best not.

The difference between the first date given and actual release ended up being what, 2 years? I think most people joined this thread with the words "this early beta is something truly special. so when can we actually play the game?"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I always build my main base in the safe shallows, both so there's something pretty to look at out the windows and also to keep that unique calm feeling of subnautica-the-happy-swim-time-game the early game has. And I'll never stop.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Control Volume posted:

The upside: my seamoth can now dive to 900!! meters. the downside: I dont want to go in the places that are 900m deep

Subnatica: :allears:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I kinda want to reinstall just for 20m free diving in the safe shallows now

As varied as the game is, that is still the best part for me. Just wish the map was 100x the volume.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Ambaire posted:

As implemented by the developers, of course they aren't.

You're aware diagetical theory and narrative conceptual thought isn't studied in the physics department, right?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

It occurs to me that you could essentially spent most of the game on a diet of fish'n'chips and melon juice.

I mean, you're bound to be missing some amino acids from that, but mmmmmmmmm :yum:

Hell you could do that in real life

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Sioux posted:

The Scanner Room does not pick up on magnetite.

It does if it's on-line in the simulation bubble (aka if any magnetite has "popped in" close to you). Trick: get one chunk, drop it outside the scanner room, scanner will pick it up and reveal more as you swim around while more stuff pops in.

You can also find magnetite in shale chunks in the mushroom cave, so good to scan for those too.

Good place for the scanner is just north of the geyser in the shallows, just next to the big hole into the caves and also the closest source for hand-scanning a multi room on a new start.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

But you can see so much more without the glide! The sense of freedom is so good, especially with the quick fins and the light air tank

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You sit nestled deep in a crevice in the reef, thinking yourself safe while the reaper circles impotently and screams at you in rage. Then it turns and you see the colony of crashfish flowers growing on its back. They begin to open...

But from your pocket you hear a little voice saying "You look like you could use some coffee?". Energized you barely manage your escape.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

ikanreed posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOb9KPgMwUY

Some level of sadism may be required to enjoy it

Since he's apparently a 20-something tube' who's every other word is brother or dude and is deathly afraid of nature and 'bugs',

I kinda do want to se him to suffer yee

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Reminds me of the first base I built all those years ago. It was right next to the big geyser in the safe shallows.

I had a nuclear power plant before I found the mushroom cave :downsrim:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Or get the mod which lets you put a nuclear reactor in the cyclops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I think there's really something to be said for having that beauty of the shallows, bulb forest etc, to contrast from the visceral horror. Going from one to the other and back again, they heighten eachother much more than you'd think.