Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
This game rocks in VR. It's janky but only a little, and the spectacle and depth of the world really makes up for it. Love the music too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
why did my vehicle fabricator thing just dissapear from where it was floating around my base?

was it all the loving sand sharks hanging out near the door? (came across a trio of them recently whod gotted tangled up emerging from the sand and just stuck there half underground. had a cathartic time knifing)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Oh god my cyclops dissapeared after I reloaded the save I made after crafting it. Took me forever to build that thing. Looks like there might be a workaround but I'm not sure I can be bothered now :/

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
It's repeatedly going through the menus that makes the actual crafting a drag to me.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Hows the popin with the new patch?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there any hope of reduced pop in without full terraforming removal?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there still a bunch of pop-in from the terrible distance lod thing

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I cant believe they were working on that instead of fixing draw distances

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
So long as they fix the draw distance, thats honestly the one thing that would get me playing again

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Did they fix the draw distance yet?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
One way to add tension instead of boredom and draw out progression oxygen tank-wise could be to make air pipes and the dive reel more useful so there's a literal lifeline back to the surface you're dependent on until you get more tanks, the minisub etc.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is the cyclops still unusable? Havent been back in mine sonce they changed it and i got a fully upgraded prawn

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
They don't seem keen to reply when people ask about that on reddit. I have a horrible feeling it just won't happen, which will be farcical.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Tried the discord before and whoever was there refused to acknowledge the problem could be fixed. Tried to blame players poo poo pcs.

Is there a link to confirm they've hired staff to fix it? Dead game otherwise

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I dont know why you wouldnt check the claims of serious graphics issues before posting accusations of bias when its so easy to bork development.

Apparently the devs trello has pop in being fixed!...

After 1.0 wheeeeeeeeee

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Dongattack posted:

Just :lol: at the internet in 2018 where no matter who you are or what you do you will instantly gain a fanatic following telling you that everything you do is perfect and any dissidents will be bumrushed by your loyal brokebrains and driven off in a cacophony of "guess you don't understand games development".

Games gonna be good tho, it just could be a lot better with just a few easy steps and some more focus where it actually matters.

Its such a great game. Theres grind but the gameplay and worldbuilding are so fun it's relatively easy to enjoy anyway. It could be VRs first really killer game. Just makes it all the more frustrating waiting for the fixes.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Im amazed they hosed up so much with presumably loads of talent around

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: that was a bad miss

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 29, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Google Butt posted:

Yo, this eliminates pop-in, but the impact on performance is severe. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279642367

Modders fixed the game for them. Perfect. (Or will do once they've worked on it a bit apparently)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Shame he had to go. Some of the music in this game is just about perfect. Presumably he refused to apologise or you'd think they'd have kept him. Maybe he's as obnoxious in person.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

endlessmonotony posted:

The music is so obnoxious I tried to play with it on and eventually just had to give up.

Really? Agree the triggers and playback timing etc. are poo poo but I loved the tracks for what they are. Not sure what kind of music could do a better job. Personal taste though I guess.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Vorkosigan posted:

So, the visibility mod seems to work, but has a weird side effect - stalkers are now all over the safe shallows because (I assume) they can see the fish there to eat. Additionally they seem to home in on me, even if I'm in the lifepod.

Doesn't bode well for warpers and more dangerous fauna.

Hows performance now?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Ciaphas posted:

Just making sure, the LOD/popin is really amazingly bad for everyone in this game, right? Nothing on my compy is broken?

Theres a fix if you google but its very demanding on your machine (I wonder if it would work at all in vr)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

HexiDave posted:

I haven't gotten around to actually tinkering with their terrain code yet to see what I could tear out to replace with a cached-model version, but it looks like they really did go 100% deep on the voxel engine for everything. I'll eventually figure out where to start converting everything, and then we'll see how much more performance could be gained.

Slay the popin. Please. You know its the right thing to do.

Wonder what happened to Steve and why so much went unfixed.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Stillsuit is totally worth it. It's a free 20+ hydration every so often. It drastically increases your loiter time.

You dont actually have to cook fish to eat em so you can stay out forever really

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 9, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wasn't someone ITT working on the popin? What happened with that?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

SugarAddict posted:

I think this might be dependent on your computer, better computers can see farther because they have a better video card and more ram and therefore there can be more things on screen at once.

It's the same with literally any system spec, bizarrely. Been that way for ages. There's a mod out there that gets rid of it but at some sort of performance cost. Someone here posted about working on it too. The devs don't seem likely to try.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Xik posted:

They are showing as 94% positive on Steam and received anywhere between good and "glowing" reviews from most game sites. If anything, they have been proven that shipping with bugs (even game breaking) and almost completely ignoring major performance problems won't affect sales or reception in any meaningful way. So uh, why would they spend any resources fixing those things now...

It's so depressing. The poo poo people get away with. Oh well, maybe the fanbase will fix it someday.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
If they fix the lod problems in the main game it'd be well worth a replay

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Its a shame there aren't more weird tentacley Leviathans. The dragons and snakes are cool but the bizarre sea treaders and stuff are the coolest

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone know if there'll be vr for this one?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Morphix posted:

Oh so like instead of using say 3D Max/Maya to model the map they're using an in-game editor. Huh, I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing since the original Starcraft where the editor was powerful/robust enough to create the campaign maps. weird

Hopefully they at least dealt with the popin.

Oasx posted:

There won't.

Imagine someone will mod it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Hwurmp posted:

WHO THE gently caress SAID POP-IN