Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Just blasted off. What a great game.

Anyone else find the Cyclops... kinda useless? I got it pretty late into the game, when I was already exploring the deeper sections of the game. At that point I had developed a Multipurpose + Moonpool + Scanner room leapfrog base system with Bioreactors and all the fixings. It would have been nice to help transport my PRAWN suit, but that's about it.

I stuck a grappling hook and some food and water in my capsule. I loved Bionic Commando'ing it up and the food and water would be useful for just about anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Yeah I can see that. I had my primary base set up already at that point, and got lucky that it was really close to some Important poo poo. Would have been nice to have it when I was setting up originally, but when I finally got it I had already made it to the 1st volcanic alien base. I went through unspoiled in about 35 hours and reading through this thread/the wiki is eye opening. I had no idea that there were teleporters between the two islands or that the stillsuit... existed. Also apparently got really lucky with the crown plant for the fetch quest; I found one right next to my main base while I was grabbing some copper.

I drowned once and killed myself checking out the edge of the map; a hardcore run seems totally doable but kind of pointless.

(I have no idea how important the spoiler tags are for this thread but better safe than sorry)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you're reading this and you're just starting out: scanner rooms... are good. Don't be like me and build your first one at like hour 15.

Ellipson fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 19, 2018

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Ciaphas posted:

I'll take a look, thanks. The only other nearbyish entrance is in the Dunes, and uh, nope

I have a well built up base in front of the disease research center (I think) though, hopefully I can navigate the cyclops there from that direction.

My main base got built on the edge of the red grass area bordering the Dunes, about 400m from the entrance you're talking about. I did this before really understanding that the dunes were one of the more :stare: areas of the game. Whoops. Getting a Cyclops down that way would have been horrible, but luckily I didn't have one...? But even then, I didn't find that entrance until I found it coming out of the Lost River. I used... the Pod 2 one. Quite a trip.

On the bright side, I named my ill advised base Lunatic Pandora after what... wasn't actually what the deep sea base was called in FF8. So at least the base had a good name for its location. I'm also starting to realize how weird my run was compared to how most people's runs sound, but that's part of the appeal!

Next run: build my big base in the middle of the Mountains. :unsmigghh: I don't think I ever really visited that part of the map.

Ellipson fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 20, 2018

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
So I went looking for games like this since I really enjoyed the survive > explore > tech up > survive gameplay loop, but even trying out some gimmicks resulted in my attempt at a 2nd run... being boring, tbh. Seems like survival games are 80% early access stuff that I'm wary of; any suggestions? The underwater theme was extremely cool, but I'm not stuck on it; just SP survival games with possibly a bit of story driven content, but not necessary.

I could give ARK another try, but I got bored pretty quickly; game seems really focused on multiplayer.