Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hell a single tree will do you just fine. Especially with a stillsuit. Just stick it in one of the round planters in a corner.

Building out a cozy little space on the Cyclops is my new favorite pastime in the game since they added all the fun furniture! Also, this puts to rest my fear of planters on board the Cyclops since in previous versions they caused massive physics issues, but it looks like they're more resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Truga posted:

It was, possibly scrapped in favour of battery charger?

I think its still part of the plans but way way down the line. The battery charger (in very rudimentary form) appeared about the same time but I get the impression they're not linked.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

U.T. Raptor posted:

throw things at them with a propulsion gun.

Also, ghostrays bestrays :3::

(I spawned a shitload of them around my base with the console. Also a couple of the red version, which are a lot less cute).

Is that a new glass roof section or has that always been there?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Viperix posted:

As someone who started it a while back, but is itching to play it again, I'm going to wait till its finished.

Similar. I'll probably wait another patch or so. I took a break around the time they started mixing in timers and was getting kind of frustrated at all the fragments being moved into the wrecks, but the new features and the exosuit might make it interesting to pick up again.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Welp guess this is where I switch to creative mode or whatever.

Wow, yeah, I stopped playing about 6-7 months ago when I heard that all this was coming with the Cyclops damage and more aggressive creatures. Because each and every time they add stuff like this, its seemingly designed to take an already-existing part of the game more difficult and complicated (and less fun) for its own sake. The game already has enough running around to collect things, why does it have to be more difficult and less fun? I guess- silly me, I thought that they were going to add on top of what was already existing as a foundation. I always really liked the "super-high-tech human with future technology survival" aspect of it all. Combined with the non-lethal nature of the game's weaponry, it made it feel less like a traditional survival game, and one where the challenge was found in other places than the standard "baby all your fragile constructions" gameplay. But keeping that non-lethal theme while making the game more punishing just sounds like making the game more difficult for its own sake.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
My god, I'm seeing posts on reddit about how they need nerf fruit again? 6 melons making you full is "too OP" apparently. (thinking of how this would look in real life is pretty amusing actually)

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zesty posted:

Links or screenshot?

Maybe this thread?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/1319962329030214095/?ctp=4

The part that is a bit sad is the idea that "this was always part of the plan" and that people were enjoying the wrong game.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Who wants to read a massive chain of a guy justifying the way Bonesharks attack the Cyclops because, "Otters have been documented attacking fully grown, adult alligators, using numbers to drive it away from their territory or outright kill them."

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/69jyyn/the_newest_update_makes_you_too_vulnerable_in_a/dh7l9yp/

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Anywho...highly recommend Outer Wilds for a :airquote: Subnautica in Space! :airquote:

I've had Outer Wilds gifted to me and I'm very curious, but whenever I read about it the idea of resetting every 20 minutes it just fills me with anxiety. Subnautica taps into the chill take-your-time vibe that it seems isn't present in Outer Wilds?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Khanstant posted:

The only folks I've seen that didn't enjoy Outer Wilds is people have some kind of timerphobia, which I don't think could even be solved by changing timer length. The timer could be set longer than the universe will exist and it would still bug the hell out of some. I guess that's just an inherent risk to the medium, no matter how good something might be, it can't be for everyone because the player themselves is a huge part of the game. Outer Wilds can't be a good game while someone who isn't liking is playing it.

Honestly, if the time loop was two hours, I probably wouldn’t have an issue with it. Under a short timer the idea of exploration for me tends to get really compressed into a “need to make the best of the time I have, get the most done before it all goes away thing that really pulls any fun out of exploration. I’ll probably uninstall it and watch/read spoilers for it until such time as any kind of mod becomes available to remove or mitigate the timer. It sucks because otherwise it’s a game that is right up my alley in every other way, but that one thing is totally enough to kill all the rest of it for me.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Khanstant posted:

If nothing else, if you just can't get over the groundhogs day thing, boot the game up one last time before uninstalling and treat yourself to a visit to the comet. Land on it somewhere and just ice skate around it for a whole loop. You can get some really nice gliding speed and hop around and play with the tiny-planet mario galaxy gravity ship going on. Enjoy the view, have fun with the moment of not being sure if you're out of the gravity of the comet or not and the kind of cool perspective illusion that happens at some points while skate/gliding. Some loops I went to comet as just a cool place to play around while waiting for the big event but once I went just for the full ride and came back for seconds for a longer trip once I learned a little trick there.

If nothing else, the comet, and other areas, offer some really fun stuff to play around with and it's worth doing for 10 minutes or so.

Fair enough, I'll make that the goal if I can manage to get there in time. I've already gone through the entire story via the wiki and watching other people play, and I really think its wonderful. Getting zapped back to start was just infuriating and frustrating because its a game where I'd love to spend an hour crawling around the universe and exploring, and figuring it all out while under the gun is the perfect way to kill it all for me- its like I need to keep a running diary of what I'm doing so when it gets interrupted I can pick it back up next time. Its no issue if I reset when I die, but it just feels like a constant punishment to have it happen on a timer. I understand its integral to the game's story, but its so un-fun I'll probably come back when I can find a mod to disable it. (I'm pretty good at intentionally suspending my own disbelief if I want to, and I can just imagine its happening)

Relating it back to Subnautica, I imagine it'd be similar to if the game had a time loop around the Aurora exploding- a real shame since so much of Subnautica is great for taking your time and poking around at your own pace. I suppose the extreme opposite is Below Zero's current state which seems to have very little if any structure, and all exploration right now. Its funny the way that I never really felt overly in want of a detailed map in Subnautica, but all the on-land bits of Below Zero tend to get very disorienting which is an interesting different wrinkle in the exploration mechanic, but I wonder if it could be improved with some distinctive scenery.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

CyberLord XP posted:

While I would love them to have BZ stuff in the first game, they've made clear that they are not cool with anyone taking content from BZ and inserting it into the first game.

What they really need to do is to fold several items and the draw-in improvements into the base game, and then sell Subnautica and Below Zero as a package. I’m sure this is impossible for some reason though.