Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Been playing the poo poo out of this over the last week. Really spun my wheels for a while trying to find out how to upgrade the prawn's depth, turns out I was looking at the mk 2 depth module reqs and not mk 1. :downs: I surmised the material needed would be in a lava zone, as I could see lava from my current max depth, but I also surmised there would be a second shallower lava zone as a gateway and spent ages trying to find it.

I like reading the thread spoilers. An hour ago I was thinking why the gently caress didn't they make a suit that lets you hang around in hot water, I've been wearing a radiation suit for a million years even after the radiation is all gone, and now I find out that I missed the blue prints. Also mad I apparently missed a door in the thermal plant which had ion upgrades, that would've made lava larvaes' poo poo entirely more bearable. Ah well, still had a grand time whipping out the prawn, plucking those greedy fucks off the hull and enjoying their shrill screams as I drill them.

Currently cured and building my rocket ship

Also weird that after a certain point, who bloody cares how big your oxygen tank is. It just stops mattering 99.9% of the time because you have a submersible. If I could go back in time the two biggest things I'd say is "seamoth, ASAP, no the sea glide is not good enough" and "hey bud, fish breed in the containment, fast, enjoy limitless fuel".

e: and the loving music. god drat inappropriate "you're going vaguely deeper now!" music that sounds like a reaper is about to turn you into a chew toy and you need to dodge right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Paracelsus posted:

Just make sure you have either a way to recharge the Seamoth/power cells or the resources to build a new power cell every time you start running low on juice.

I had the moon pool and habitat builder way before I had the power charger. I'm pretty sure I built the moon pool before I built the mobile vehicle constructor, because ok mobile is nice but surely I can build a vehicle in my dedicated vehicle support bay

also right now I would kill for a cyclops upgrade that lets me have two vehicle bays

or a drill for the seamoth

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Awesome. My prawn is wedged between two constructed objects. Can't seem to move it, can't seem to use any console commands to get it unstuck or to delete it or the structures.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Welp got unstuck

all i had to do was spawn a reaper leviathan literally on my doorstep :shepicide:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

One thing I didn't mention was I was also stuck inside the suit. I got out the first time using some unholy combination of console commands, then I got back in to try others, and wasn't able to magic my way out a second time. I didn't realize some commands don't work if you're in a vehicle.

Tossing up now whether to call it and take a rocket home or to keep going until I've had fisticuffs with every class of big boy. The prawn is a lot of fun and getting the hang of grappling made it a joy to get around in. Except in green river place what the gently caress were they thinking giving those blue jelly pad things scattered all over the floor actual collision boxes.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sir, we regret to inform you that your twelve foot tall multi-billion credit bipedal unit, the Prawn suit, has become mired in a patch of 6 inch high mushrooms and is unable to proceed with the mission.

Also plan punch out didn't work. :( Spent like an hour grappling after the sea dragon and punching him in his stupid face, back of the head, chest and back, trying to drill him, and nothing. He is also a legendary loving coward.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Away all Goats posted:

What are you even doing anywhere near the ground, the lost river and beyond is the perfect place for spider manning in the prawn suit

Playing in controller so it's really hard to Spiderman, navigate and look for resources at the same time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Haha trying to pick up a chunk rolling down a gentle slope is a prawn suit pilot's greatest nightmare on controller.

I found out you can hold down the trigger on the stasis gun to charge it. Woulda made scanning leviathans a tad easier.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Low key story was good and interesting until spook face, then went past crush depth at approximate 1400m.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Meskhenet posted:

No ingame map should a punishable crime these days.

The kicker is the scanner room 3D map is so cool. If you could build mapping pylons or something that transmit 3d data back to a map room, which also displays beacons as blips, I would've spent ages doing that even if it's completely option and ultimately useless.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah, just face the panel on it and click. I had to use the keyboard, couldn't name poo poo on a controller.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I assumed that some kind of garbage clean up would take items left on the sea floor, why else would they give you floating lockers?

Now I just leave my trash free in the ocean, like god intended.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Put your cameras in a locker when not in use.

Otherwise just accept that they're going for a ride.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

U.T. Raptor posted:

Easiest way to find the disease research facility is by taking the entrance near the gun island, it takes you literally past it. Nice open pathway, and no ghost leviathan (there's a little one a good ways in, though. And a reaper leviathan hanging around a mountain near the entrance, but it never comes close to it).

I actually built my base right on the edge of it, in fact:

That's pretty. My first time around I only built functional bases.

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly bringing a dozen beacons with me whenever I explore and placing them roughly in the center of each biome I hit sounds more and more appealing the more I think about it. Actually processing that information and figuring out where I haven't been given the sea of beacon signals seems nightmarish though

Yah. You can colour beacons, hide them, or use a naming convention and rename them as their status changes. You probably should find a way to mark biomes that border the edge of the map so you know where you don't need to go further out anymore.

e: I bred one of those spider things and immediately realized my mistake. Into the reactor with you little guy.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Not sure if it's done well but there's nitrogen in the game, some of the MORE CHALLENGE mods turn it on.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The biggest flaw is not being able to ride a Reaper like a worm from Dune.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah I wasn't counting prawn grappling, I meant in your swim shorts.

I want a pet reaper that I can ride around and fight other reapers with.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The prawn is hella cool and good fun, but something about being firmly anchored to the ground really ruined the feeling of going deep for me. It was pretty good skirting around the deeper holes before I got my depths modules though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I feel like you're missing the point of hard core.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Or play the not VR version? :confused:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Faffel posted:

That's true, actually.

There is one cave system in a massive, standalone hill with a fairly small circumference. I entered it somewhere around the middle from my seamoth, got lost inside with the turning tunnels that met and merged, couldn't find any exit and made it to the surface with about a second to go before drowning after fighting off panic to calm myself down and search for an exit with the little sonar propeller thing.

It owned, wish there was more like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Frog Act posted:

Is building a base in the lost river useful? I just found the big cool tree and I’m gonna check out the alien facility. Also, I’m at my Cyclops’ max depth at the tree more or less and I don’t have any kyanite for the MK2, nor have I ever seen any. I understand that it’s apparently in the next biome, the inactive lava place, but idk how to get there to harvest it if it’s below my diving range. Should I hop in my prawn and go on a Spider-Man adventure until I find the entrance and some kyanite? I’m also having trouble finding much nickel.

Definitely looking forward to playing the next game totally blind, being with this since EA has definitely taken some of the mystique out of this final push

There's enough nickel in lost river to sort you out. I made a base there to charge batteries, grow food and get water, and put down a scanning room, and would occasionally look to see if more nickel popped up. Scanning rooms own if you haven't already figured that out.

The mk2 cyclops depth module requires nickel, and it lets you get down to the inactive lavazone. The third upgrade requires kynanite. This hosed me up for a good long while because I apparently forgot the cyclops mk2 was a thing. The prawn suit mk1 requires nickel and lithium, and should match up with the cyclops mk2.

But yeah by all means go down in the prawn, it's a lot of fun. Bring a couple of spare batteries if you're worried about endurance.