Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, they updated beacons so they now show an exact distance. Nice. I wanted that little QoL improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what does coffee actually do now?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only thing keeping me from making a Prawn suit in this save slot is no aerogel, because for the loving life of me I can't find any of those spongy things in the caves you use to make it. I'm not sure if its' a bug and they just didn't spawn or what. Grr.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, discovered a strange and unsettling new bug. Lifepod 5 started drifting away from its location. This was a big problem for me since I hadn't build a fabricator into my base yet and this might have been indicative of other bugs to come. Weird.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

There was a known bug where repairing the panel and activating the gravity anchor, didn't actually prevent it from drifting off into the distance for people. Either way, it's kind of been A Thing.

So while I think they fixed it by now, it's basically a coinflip of whether it's "oops, I never fixed my pod!" or "I fixed my pod, what gives?" until Speedball mentions either way :v:

Hey, fixing my pod is always one of my first priorities and in this save file it's been fixed for a long-rear end while. Which is why I was able to build a base beneath it.

It seemed to stop drifting once I got back into visual range, at least.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, you dump enough resources into the Cyclops it ought to be invulnerable. Its weakness of being not-very-agile and sucking up a lot of power should be balance enough.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Still, for all the bugs I'm still glad I picked this over ARK: Survival Evolved. I haven't heard too much good about that one at all.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wouldn't mind having a tether or power cable to attach from your base to the Cyclops to recharge everything at once. Or maybe solar panel modules that only work at surface depths. Or, hell. Maybe a nuclear power plant, turn it into a nuclear submarine!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, Lifepod 5 got shuffled around again, but this time there was a good reason for it. A reefback decided to use it as a scratching post and was rubbing itself all over it, making it bob and drift around.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It'd be nice if the air pipes were flexible. Maybe combine it with the dive reel so you can explore wrecks and caves with a tether. Of course, I've been watching lots of Astroneer lately so I think oxygen tethers are awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My base got damaged somehow and I'm not sure what caused it. An impact with a big creature? At least I was able to fix the leak.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eh. I know how to have knife durability be a thing and still be within the constraints of the game's replenishable resources. A knife-sharpening option that consumes renewable resources. Like, I dunno, lubricant at the Fabricator, since you can farm lubricant pretty easy.

Still doesn't bother me too much since the materials for making a knife are pretty easy to come by.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, there's an idea. An electrical prod that is almost guaranteed to scare away stalkers or sand sharks with one good poke, but runs out of energy REALLY fast so you can't overuse it. Good for early-game stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Once you fix the drat reactor and radiation filters out, life gets much easier because you can wear one of the other specialty suits anywhere you want. You're also guaranteed full scans of a Prawn suit in there too, among whatever other fragments you can find.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

The dick-waving dipshittery never gets old, oh boy :jerkbag:

Anyway, is there even a halfway decent, readable map to where poo poo is? Getting lost in the dark on the ocean floor looking for a hole to progress isn't fun anymore.

There are many maps of varying detail and complexity in fact! Scroll down to the bottom of this page for many, many maps.

I confess I've used it a couple times when searching for something.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_Subnautica

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, we can actually get infected now, huh? I assume there's a way to treat it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Loaded up the new content. The scanner room's range has been waaaaay upgraded. Good.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Digirat posted:

You all should play SOMA.

Heh heh, yup.

Just plugged this back in for the first time in a while. I like the new UI improvements. But...they made gold an ingredient for computer chips? I'm...not sure how to think of that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

yeah, I prefer to use the Cyclops as a mobile base rather than a vehicle too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I've been having a grand old time. I've hit most of the early tech tree and the only thing holding me back is finding a gel sack, it seems they've been removed from the small crevice near the aurora so instead I've started setting up supply outposts.

My first post I picked the bulb forest near a hot cave and lava vent. The cave has a bunch of rubies and uranite and once I find the gel sack I'll set up thermal plants in the cave to supply renewable energy for a power cell charger and water purifier. The spot is 200 meters from the fossil caves so it's also a perfect spot to start that adventure from.

I found out you only need to find one gel sac and can then hit it with your knife to get seeds and plant more in exterior growbeds. Takes the sting out of it.

Scanner Rooms are both easier to build and WAY more useful than when they were first introduced, my god. They suck power like a bastard but it's so worth it to be able to home in on magnetite and other hard-to-find poo poo. The range is pretty expansive too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Due to the coloring Nickel is almost totally invisible to me unless I'm staring right at it (and due to graphical issues it's invisible until it renders right in front of my eyes) so my workaround for both is to just build a base in the Lost River near a thermal vent for infinite power and a scanner room. Going well so far but I really need to make several trips down there so I can make that base fully-functional with all the goodies like desalination for fresh water, a moonpool, aquarium for breeding fish and planters for food and materials. Will probably be worth it just to have a safe spot to retreat to down there. Bonus: cameras drones spawn in with a beacon highlight so I can find this base anytime I want easily now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bizarre Echo posted:

I live and die by my locator beacons. I've got my outposts and bases marked in red, the big landmarks like the Aurora, the floater island, and the alien island in yellow, and various wrecks and landmarks I haven't gotten to yet in standard blue. My Seamoth doesn't leave the bay without at least five beacons in the hold.

Excellent idea, and probably how the game is meant to be played, honestly, since there's no map.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Is anyone disappointed the sunbeam sort of... poofs?

Considering other ships crash landed and had survivors and generated wrecks it was actually really weird.

I was expected to have a cool bit with rubble falling behind me as the wrecked main body of the ship splashed into water in the distance but just... nothing? Weird as hell.

Probably intentional because that thing is tiny compared to the Aurora.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

yeah i didnt expect aurora level wreckage, but one just a few small pieces would have been nice.

Well the gun is bigger than the ship.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The underground sulfur river is where I built my first deep-sea base since it was getting too time-consuming to go back to the surface and the water was warm enough near certain vents to build some good thermal power generators. That put me in spitting distance of the lava zone. Of course you could always just build a base IN the lava zone but the creatures running around in there made me consider otherwise.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I mostly just used the cyclops to help me store food as I moved closer to the endgame since it was awkward as hell. Naturally power becomes less of a concern once you finally get those thermal conversion chips for recharging from hot water.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

Just got this game; it's pretty fun. Once I've built my sea base, is there a way to have its position show up on my hud like my life raft does?

Yup, though you have to build a beacon for that. Beacons will float in place wherever you put them and can then be toggled on or off in your HUD.

Your vehicles also have their own hud indicator.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh right, I forgot about the scanner room. Which is invaluable if you want to strip an area clean of all specific resources. Man, they improved that dumb thing so much from when it was first introduced.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zesty posted:

Why is it Seamoth vs Prawn? They both have different uses for different locations of the game.

Because you can only fit one at a time in your Cyclops!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, all the best stuff is hidden down in the danky depths. The SOS messages you get from all the destroyed lifepods are really the only hand-holding the game gives you, because they're usually next to useful wrecks to scan for fragments, but some of the logs of the Degrassi Survivors happen to point you to stuff you can do even later on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I am told that, should you manage to kill a leviathan, it does not respawn (except for the ones in the void beyond the playable space). I haven't ever really used the torpedoes, how good are they?

Mostly I want to set up a base in the Lost River without worrying about Big Boy over there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whorelord posted:

I don't really fear the sea at all but people who can stomach having their main base anywhere other than the safe shallows disturb me.

My big base is in the shallows, I just need a recharging station down in the lost river to make even deeper trips have a shorter turnaround time. Though I could set up a proper farm and everything.

I'm told that tamed crash fish can be loaded into a propulsion cannon as impromptu grenades.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's even better when you plug that chip in that lets you charge up in hot water.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lockback posted:

sonofabitch, really?

I've just taken the cyclops out for 2 joyrides so far. Discovering than you can press C and Space to dive and surface was exciting.

Yup, you can build your own planter, battery rechargers and fabricator and whatnot. Just be aware they all suck power from those engine batteries, haha. Except the planter, obviously.

I wish there was a "nuclear sub" option for the Cyclops to run it off uranium rods, but we can't have everything.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the lights off. I don't think they drain batteries but they do attract attention of big monsters.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I forgot how *rich* with resources the Lost River is. If I set up near one of the thermal vents for power I could be set for life down here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

THis is actually part of hexidave's mods, actually, per goon request. Heck, it might've even been me. https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/tag/v3.0

Oooh, also included is the ability to craft from resources in containers. Nice. I feel like that should have been in the base game, but modders yet again save the day.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

No, I just started the game! :v:

And now it's night time and I'm scared to go into the water in the dark.

A good instinct to have, since I think some predators get a bit nastier in the dark. Fortunately in the shallows and creepvine forests you don't have to worry about much except stalkers and gas bombers and stalkers really just only nip at you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you're worried about your life pod being broken, you can fix the broken parts with a Repair Tool. The only ingredient for that that's hard to get (for beginners) is "Cave Sulfur" which you get from the nests that those exploding fish pop out of in the shallows. If you can brave being blown up that's what to go for.

The Repair Tool has another use besides just fixing your base and vehicles, some wrecks have doors that can only be opened by repairing the power source next to 'em. Very nice. I think the only tool that has only very specific uses would be the Laser Cutter because once you've cut enough doors open you don't have much of a reason to use it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I finally beat the game for the first time and only now do I find out about the cuddlefish!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One time capsule I found had charging fins and an energy saver module for the Cyclops, lovely gift. I wish I could upvote time capsules after you pick them up because that was a good one.