Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Instead of this below zero dlc I really really wish they were doing an Abyss expansion.

The lowest the sub goes is 1300 meters which is pathetically nothing. The Mariana trench is 10000 meters deep! Imagine the adventure getting that far down!

But no instead we get some ice :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

MikeJF posted:

I'm imagining a game map turned sideways, where the entire thing takes place in a trench a hundred metres max wide, and kilometres long and deep. Everything clinging to the side or on rock shelves and cave systems off sideways into the rock.

The only issue would be the travel time. So there would either have to be other biomes and more to do on the way getting down or a new super fast sub. Buildable teleporters would work too.

It does disappoint me that the creators aren’t going with the obvious next step and that this game isn’t easily modable so someone else can make a mod at least.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Where is the mod that links all the lockers together?

I know a goon created it but I don't see it on nexus and I don't want to check every page of this thread.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I liked being isolated to relax in a world without humans. They should have used a robot companion.
I’d also have liked it linked to the main game. But I guess the distance to the polar regions would be too far.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Heffer posted:

What's the deepest you can go from surface to bottom in one long vertical connector stretch? I found a spot next to the floating island arch bridge that let's me get to 540 meters. I'm winding if there's better.

The edge of the map let me dive down to about 8500 meters before it teleports you close to the escape pod. I wish they had an easter egg down there instead.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Space Subnatica wouldn’t work because space isn’t scary unless there is stuff like xenomorphs or ghost ships included.

Underwater in the dark always carries tension. The next game I’d like to see is a more developed subnatica. I’d be happy with subnatica 2 . A new planet with more ships and objects more to build more to do.

I’d like some basic pressure mechanics added and increase the depth to 10,000 meters; make that be the real battle of the game getting down there. Lastly I want some truly huge creatures in the depths. Megalodons and giant squids. Something so big the sea emperor would be a small fish in comparison. I want to feel the same fear I did meeting a reaper the first time and that early dread of unknown horrors lurking just below the surface.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The fear for me was going deeper and deeper. At the endgame that finally stops and it’s caves so the tension is gone.

Imagine needing a new diving suit and going 10,000 meters down open ocean. With who knows what kind of creatures silently waiting...

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Are there any other games like Subnatica? I tried No Man's Sky and while cool isn't remotely close to Subnautica. This game is a unique one. What I'd like now would be a randomizer that makes a procedurally generated world. I'd do another playthrough but the downside is I know where everything is.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I really wish they could find a way to fix their scale issues. The Sharksquid is supposedly, like, frickin' huge, but it looks only slightly bigger than a Brute Shark...which looks no bigger than, well, a human, even though it's supposed to be at least fifteen feet long. I was honestly shocked at the concept drawing showing the size comparison when I saw it.

I noticed this towards the end when even the biggest creature really isn't that big. I was hoping for something at least as big as our blue whales on earth.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 14, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Captain Invictus posted:

Reapers aren't necessarily threatening visually really unless they're up in your face trying to eat it, but thematically their entire "hunts via echolocation, except you can hear their echolocation, and if you can hear it, that means it sees you and is coming for you" thing is just perfectly horrifying

I've only really been surprised two times and caught off guard in subnatuica . The first was when a Reaper Leviathan destroyed my seamoth and killed me near the murky area behind the Aurora. I knew there was something big back there because I saw its tail earlier but I got arrogant with the seamoth for the first time and went into murky water near the Aurora and suddenly I'm dead before I know it. That legitimately had the adrenaline flowing from being all powerful in my new ship to having it destroyed by a giant unknown monster.

The other time was when I went out of the map boundaries and you get either two or three ghost leviathans chasing you. One Ghost Leviathan is a problem but still manageable. A whole pack of em though that's an "oh gently caress" moment.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The Outer Wilds is about solving a mystery and exploration but you don't get to build a base and such like in subnautica. There is a small but cool ocean planet though. I wish subnautica could have the cyclones and weather like that planet did.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Dark Off posted:

But im loving what is in there new monsters do feel pretty nice and the reaper replacement is somehow way scarier than the reaper. Hopefully they keep on adding more variety to biome animals.

Is it bigger? One of the few disappointments of subnautica was that the ghost leviathan was basically the largest creature out there and quickly goes from being a terror to merely an annoyance once you build the cyclops.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The one major bug I had was the walls of the base disappearing once but reloading fixed it. I first played it last year though so never had to deal with early access issues.

I’d encourage the guy who was disappointed over bugs to try the most recent version.

I want to replay it again but because the map isn’t random I’m going to have to wait until I forget where everything is.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Humans are boring. Add a supermassive leviathan that could eat the cyclops in one bite instead.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

LonsomeSon posted:

Why would something this size ever go after something the size of a Seamoth? That's the kind of thing which would need prey larger than a ghost leviathan for them to be worth expending energy to hunt and eat.

A mega leviathan’s sole purpose would be to go after the cyclops and create a real late game threat. A super leviathan wouldn’t even bother with the seamoth.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Captain Invictus posted:

whenever someone complains about prawn maneuverability this video should just auto-reply to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk&hd=1

double grapple prawn suit is a grand old time, way more fun than just holding forward in the seamoth

Prawn = fun, crab = speedboat got it.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Who in their right mind would want to play a multiplayer coop for a sim game.

This could be interesting as a single player game. Screw multiplayer that’s were they hosed up.

Just takes one random player to join as an engineer and blow up the nuclear reactor. This will happen everytime by the way. SS13 proves if there is a way to blow something up players will choose that option.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

jarlywarly posted:

Try it on VR the creatures are ludicrously large.

Amazon has the Vive at $600. I would spend that much on a graphics card or a new monitor but not VR for one game.

I’m poor :(

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I want Subnautica: Abyss

You thought 1000 meters was really deep, that's cute. Time to go down 20,000 meters! :aaaaa:

No that would be too much fun let's make the Subnautica: arctic sea instead.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 27, 2020

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

enraged_camel posted:

Pretty much. The devs are total amateurs. Whenever I check out their Trello/Favro/whatever, I feel really embarrassed for them. Literally the only reason this game became popular is because at the time, it was the only game in this specific "underwater exploration/building" genre.

What other games exist where most of the environment is under the sea?

I can only think three other games in the last ten years Bioshock 1 & 2 which don’t fully count because you are inside the city the whole game 1st game and only go out just a tiny amount in the second. But still the deep under the ocean feel is there in both games.

Soma is the only recent game I’ve played besides subnatica where you are outside and in the deep ocean quite a bit. It’s short compared to subnatica, a horror game and linear though.

For older games I can only think of echo the dolphin or submarine sims.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I want to play Below Zero now getting impatient. What's missing from now to the final version in May?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Stop bashing the cyclops :mad: The problem isn't the cyclops, the problem is the game world and missions were not built for it.With all the ending missions sending you into tight caves.

I'd love to play with cyclops from the start of the game. This sequel would take place in another part of the planet that's more open. Use it as a mobile base to explore, send out the Seamoth or prawn for the caves.

Upgrades to the cyclops would include a nuclear reactor, a double vehicle bay and size and engine upgrades and more rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
So I saw this a month back and was getting excited. Finally a subnautica expansion focused on. Going deep.

Subnatica Call of the Void Trailer

What I didn't realize is the creators weren't the subnautica devs but just good mooders. Not as sure what to think but good trailer.