Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I didn't realize this had its own thread. I know this is a small complaint but is there any way to disable the dev build text in the upper right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I didn't realize this had its own thread. I know this is a small complaint but is there any way to disable the dev build text in the upper right?

I guess this doesn't bug anyone else. I found a language file you can edit to remove the EA text and you can remove the version number, but unfortunately the code that deals with the date is set to do " : 'MMM-YYYY'" if the date is gone so you don't gain much by removing that. Oh well.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I think the random blueprints are a headache. I played 10 hours of this a long time ago in early access and I've been hooked lately starting over to finish. This run there were several early blueprints I just never found including beacons which made navigation a bit annoying in places. I was starting to explore the lava area which feels very end game and I still hadn't found beacons so I just cheated it in.

Finding wrecks with the exact same poo poo over and over definitely killed a little of the exploration fun. I vaguely recall that happening less in the early access version but maybe my luck was just bad this time.

I also wonder if I got off plot somehow

The sunbeam crashed and I stumbled into the alien research lab in the lost river which advanced my alien virus to being serious. Island weapon won't turn off since I'm plague ridden. I also got the escape plans. Since then I haven't gotten any hints. My radio transmissions are just weird alien stuff. I've found 3 degasi bases and the last one didn't point to much except 'go deeper' so I'm just focused on getting my prawn so it can go into the lava area.

I've stumbled into a bunch of alien bases and have a bag full of cubes but no idea what to do with them. I was getting enough little hints for most of the game it feels like I should know something but maybe this alien stuff stays mysterious

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Before I had an extra vehicle just chilling at my main base a beacon for it would've been helpful. I usually just went towards my sensor room cameras but sometimes they had wandered off kinda far. Using beacons now for cave entrances since those can be hard to find.

EponymousMrYar posted:

One of the alien datalogs you get from Gun Island has complete and fairly accurate locations to the alien bases. That you have to figure out yourself.

That's your sole breadcrumb hint.

I'll look through my logs but I hope I didn't miss that one. I love exploring but it is too easy to accidentally miss a small important detail. Like I wish you had some kinda tech detector that let you know something important was nearby so I could at least know I need to spend more time checking everywhere. The first time I hit one of the islands I accidentally walked right past an important audio log and I completely missed a jelly cave log that pointed to the next base until I came back later hunting for rare minerals.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Just finished and pretty happy with the game. I think this is the first game to actually deliver on the promise that Robinson's Requiem started many years ago. I wish more survival games would go like this and The Long Dark and focus on a mildly structured experience with lots of options rather than just lego chaos. I don't want an endless game I just want something fun with lots of ways to play it.

Subnautica succeeds way more than TLD by having a story that works well with its gameplay. TLD is pretty awkwardly wedged in there while this just pushes you to explore more and delivers little radio plays on what happened to the other survivors. The world was interesting enough to keep me exploring for quite a while. I'm not sure I'd be interested in any expansions though as I felt pretty complete with what I did.

If people consider this buggy they have unrealistic expectations for a survival game. I had a certain amount of clipping and collision problems but it wasn't excessive. I can't think of a sandbox survival game near this polished. The closest is TLD and last I played it was still a little rougher. There's a reason most survival games linger in early access hell because I can't imagine trying to wrangle the bugs in something like this. The old joke about the first 90% of dev being the easy part goes even more so for survival games as I can imagine how illusory the progress would be once you have a jumble of poo poo in game with blueprints, building stuff, wildlife, etc. It would would seem like dev was pretty far along but getting all that to be consistent would be a nightmare.