Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The sound design in this game is fantastic. I'm playing on my tv with the surround sound and those massive swimming reefs? Or whatever they're called sound terrifying.

Right now my biggest issue is the super long nights because I'm a huge wuss and really don't want to go outside at night even with the flood light and a proper knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I finally built the cyclops and just wanted to let everyone know that left click blows the horn, and it is amazing. Also now that I've pretty much built everything I'm playing wreck hunter and using a cutting torch to enter sealed rooms on mysterious shipwrecks. Also heads up near the floating islands there's a shipwreck with a placeable Natural Selection 2 poster inside.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I built a big base right at lifepod 2 and it's been fun wandering into that big cave with my new prawn. Just drilling and punching things.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I am stuck? I'm 48 hours in and have spent a considerable amount of time building a massive base at lifepod 2 along with a prawn and a cyclops. I have constant nuclear power and a self sustaining base for the most part. Lifepod 2 was the last radio transmission I received. I don't know what the game wants me to do. I did get attacked by a ghost Leviathan but it didn't stand a chance against Fishpuncher (my prawn's name).

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Been to the islands and explored them?
Check your tablet, the hints section. But yeah, find a big hole and go down it. Explore that depth until you find something exciting you can go into, then go deeper to the next depth level. Explore that until you find something exciting to walk into, then go deeper again.

My problem is that I'm constantly terrified that I'm gonna walk my prawn off the end of the earth and into the void. The void terrifies me. Reaper Leviathans terrify me (not the ghost ones, they're punks). Everything about this game past about 500 meters scares me so bad that I have trouble playing sometimes. I guess it's not much of an issue now, since last night my computer froze while playing and won't turn back on.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Viridiant posted:

I guess it's just my mindset then. I feel like it's a shame not to use the cyclops as much as possible after spending so much time bulding, upgrading and furnishing it.

The cyclops just exists as a way to drop my prawn places. It sucks to drive. Can't see poo poo. Always bumping into poo poo. Cameras help a little but the overall experience sucks. It's just a very large, mobile moonpool.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have I think all blueprints except for ion stuff. I even have a little talking Markiplier bobblehead in my base. I'm build right on lifepod 2 so I'm gonna hop in my prawn and go walking off into that cave with the green water flowing through it and just see what's up. I fixed my CPU. After pulling down my PC and a friend's we found a bent pin on my processor. No idea how that happened. Straightened it and have had no issues.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I would like to combine like 20 scanner rooms to give me a full topographical map. With 4 range extenders it starts to go past the confines of the room.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The ghost Leviathan in the lost river is a juvenile? I must...process this. He is very large already, and is but a baby. I don't want to see a full grown one. Also why do the big fishes roar underwater? That bothers me. Not in a scientific sense but just on the sheer terror scale.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I have my one and only base (huge base) built right next to lifepod 2. Every time I come from the shallows or somewhere else the game kicks in with the fuckin "you're in the spooky zone" music. I'm always saying, "stop the spooky music I live here!". I did find that stepping into the observatory overrides the spooky music with relaxing observatory music though.

Edit: I've played pretty much every notable horror game since the SNES and nothing scares me like Subnautica. It's the big open spaces. Something could come rushing out at any moment. I haven't gotten any distress calls since lifepod 2 so I'm steeling myself to take the prawn on walkabout through the lost river and see if there's any story bits in there.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 20, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I went wandering down into the lost river and came across a big ol' box structure that seems to have broken free from it's moorings. I found some warper bits to scan inside. I then found a giant castle-like structure that had a fuckin Stargate to the giant gun which is super useful because I'm doing all this exploring with my prawn and was very low on food and water. I then kept going down and found a large fish with hands that shoots fireballs and that was alright. He was guarding a place that requires a blue tablet instead of one of the 5 purple ones I'm carrying. Which is bullshit. Also what's this about ion blueprints in the thermal place? I was in there I think (inside the lava castle?) And didn't see any blueprints.

Edit: also how do the portals work? I've found them in other places but the thermal one is the only one that's turned on and taken me anywhere. And it just seems to take me to gun island.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 21, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I set my cameras loose and they end up wherever they end up. Nothing has bothered them though since my base is at the mouth of the lost river and the only thing around there was a crabsquid but I murdered it. 4 range upgrades on the scanner room is great though. I just wish there was a bigger scanner room.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Watch Deepstar Six instead. It's got Peter Weller (RoboCop).

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I bought this game probably a week after early access launch and since the introduction of warpers up until about a week ago I was under the impression that they could warp you anywhere on the map. The thought of being warped out of my seamoth and then warped to like 1,000 meters down in the dark freaked me the gently caress out. Now I know I can just pretty much ignore them and they're only a minor nuisance.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Not being able to build a base on a reefback is the biggest flaw of Subnautica.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have a nuclear reactor in my base and in the roughly 40 hours of play since I've built it I've only replaced 3 spent rods. This base is running a moonpool, grow room, tons of floodlights on the outside, a 3 story aquarium, a bedroom, scanner room with 4 range upgrades, 4 power cell chargers, 2 battery chargers, water filtration, and my fabricator and modification stations of course. Never had any issues. Before I built my cyclops there was a second moonpool for my prawn. I need to get back into the game but I had to do a bunch of computer work and the pop in when jumping down into the lava zone kept freezing my game. I'm hoping the repairs and adjustments I've made will stop that from happening now.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just use the prawn for everything. Walkin around caves. Fuckin stuff up. Took it all the way through Lost River down to the lava zone that requires that blue keycard. Just stomping around the ocean not givin' a gently caress.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hopped back in to finish the game to find that my save was damaged and wouldn't load. Had to delete it and start anew. I cheated myself up to the point I was at before losing my save and from there only had about an hour of game left. Ending was pretty cool. Excited for an Arctic expansion.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I tried to rodeo a sea dragon with the prawn. He slung me into a rock outcrop with enough force to kill my prawn. R.I.P. Fishpuncher. Your memory will live on with my seamoth, Fishpunch Jr.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

That can happen? :stonk: :psyduck: :eyepop:

Absolutely. If you grab on to a large predator you can sometimes preform a sort of slingshot maneuver that slams you into things. It's now happened twice. Today I was slung into one of the big cubes outside the active lava zone chamber thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I remember when I bought this game it was underwater Minecraft with terrain sculpting and such. It ran like poo poo.