Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

The people who said fog weren't trying to justify anything, there is literally fog covering the islands so you can't see them. You can still look for the fog itself because it doesn't blend into the background perfectly though.

It's special fog that completely disappears and reappears based on your proximity to the island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

The problem really seems more serious than an optimization issue when you have games crashing, freezing, and/or dipping into single digit fps values for just about everyone after a certain exploration/hours played threshold.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I don't really see the point to building a Cyclops after these changes other than doing it just so you can say you did. Going back and forth between places in the Seamoth seems like much less of a hassle and more fun.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Looks like they added an option to have objects fade in when they load. While it doesn't fix the problem with loading assets and optimization, I'm interested to see if it improves the overall feeling.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 28, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Digirat posted:

I don't think they've taken any serious steps backwards except for the cyclops.

Making the multipurpose room a thing you have to seek out and scan instead of something you start with was pretty obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Joseph Anderson posted his critique of Subnautica if anyone else is interested in watching someone talk about this game for an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsPoJWO-e8