Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My first encounter with a Reaper was cruising around in my new, unupgraded Seamoth along the port side of the Aurora, trying to find a way in or at least some wrecks to scavenger. Entering an area where its less shallow and murkier I suddenly hear a BIG roar. I immediately 180 my Seamoth and gun back the way I came, but about a second later I'm spun around and I let out an actual yelp of surprise as the Reaper begins thrashing my sub around.

I try maneuvering, no good, I try flashing my headlights at it (yeah as if that'd scare it...) no good. I start watching the hull strength deplete and the sparks and poo poo in the cockpit and begin debating on whether or not I should bail out and just as the hull strength reaches about 25% and I'm about to hit the eject button it suddenly just lets me go and swims away. I, of course, immediately run the gently caress away, not stopping till I hit the safe shallows where I jump out and repair my sub.

Speaking of close encounters, Mesmers are apparently going to be reworked soon and are gonna be a lot creepier.

With regards to the Seamoth, how do people feel about the Torpedo launcher? It doesn't seem that useful, but maybe I just suck at hitting targets with the Vortex Torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Modification Station can upgrade the compensator to marks 2 and 3. Mk 3 has a max depth of 900.

PS don't take your Cyclops deeper than your seamoth's crush rating if it is docked. It'll take damage even though it is inside the Cyclops.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

StrangeAeon posted:

Any guesses how long we'll have to wait before someone makes a mod to remove the Oxygen meter, so we can all pretend to be strangely high-tech merfolk?

Easily done with existing console commands.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I am best submariner. :downs:

[edit] Speaking of the Biogenerator. I'd like to see a similar machine that, instead of generating power, its a food processor. It would slowly consume whatever fish/plants you throw in it and eventually spits out nutrient blocks. Basically a cross between the Biogenerator and the water filtration machine.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 30, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dumbass? Why?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That whole thing about the female character seems very odd, because this exists. Of course, it could be she is supposed to be a character in the storyline plot while Wasabi (which is apparently the player character's name?) is the protagonist.

Quick bit of googleing brings up a thread with some info

quote:

Sorry, nv, no change on the female model side just yet. We still have the high poly model done, but we need to get the low poly model and texture into production. It is possible that we'll be able to get that into the schedule on the art production side in the next few weeks, but then there is still rigging/animation/sound work, as well as the programming time to set it up, and I can't give any estimates for when that will happen.

While it seems like it would be an easy model swap, there's a lot of technical considerations, since we don't currently have any kind of character customization feature. We do feel that is important to allow players to choose their gender, it is just something that is hard to prioritize at this stage, because it doesn't change the core gameplay.

We appreciate your understanding, and I hope you continue to follow the game's progress, so that you can jump in as soon as we are able to add the female player model.

More recent Dev quote (different dev) from March:

quote:

I've been monitoring this thread, and I'm not exactly happy with the way it's going down.

We're a company that values diversity, to empower players whatever gender they happen to be. Sexism is not welcome here.

To get back on-topic, we're still working on the female however we're not quite sure yet when she will go in. We're re-working the rig and recently the model so that she can match the male's arm & hand proportions a little more (so we can reuse some animation assets). We're a small company and we need to work as efficiently as possible. We have a ton of work to do to get the game ready for launch but we're hopeful we can get this done.

Both from this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/496880203080777526/

U.T. Raptor posted:

Is there a way to remove plants from the alien containment thing? I put some in there and they're all greyed out on the planter menu.

Knife em enough times and they'll go away. As a bonus you'll get seeds.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 1, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What I don't get is why the modules aren't centered on the foundation squares. Like on the ruined based from the Degasi crew

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, just collect a modest pile of ship scrap, find a stalker, dump one near him. Watch him grab it, follow him back to his "nest" where he'll leave the scrap. You might find some teeth there. If not, drop more scrap nearby for him to collect and recheck.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

so i just started this game after getting it during steam sale. there's a message that keeps popping up saying the pod may blow up and i have to vacate at least 1km away. what do I do to stop this from happening?

Its talking about the Aurora, not your lifepod.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Computer chips require a quartz, silver ore (found in sandstone deposits, check caves or the creepvine forests), and two table coral samples (those mushroom like coral sticking out of the sides of rocks, usually multiple of them going down in a loose line, use your knife to cut them free).

You'll get the ability to build alien containment tanks inside your base where you can plant sea life and eventually find indoor/outdoor growbeds that can be used to raise plants. To get seeds just use your knife on flora.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well you can harvest their gas pods before they detonate and craft gas torpedoes for the Seamoth.

I wish we could use crash powder to make warheads instead.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A lot of the chugging and pop in/loading trouble apparently comes from the voxel terrain and it constantly saving/loading to storage. In a future (soon?) update they're actually getting rid of this and going with a static seafloor.

No more digging in sand or terraformer gun and bases won't remove terrain anymore. However it'll be worth it IMO if it improves the loading/pop in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thats weird. I don't have an SSD and I haven't had pop in THAT severe. Are you guys using the recommended or experimental settings?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There is a battery charger station you can find fragments of to scan and build. You can find them in the grassy plateaus, aka the red "grass" seaweed areas.

You know, I've played a LOT of Silent Hunter 3 and 4 and spent a lot of time underwater in them. And even when in shallow areas where I'm at risk of grounding, its never been that scary. But man, throw on a bubble I can look out of, and that poo poo is terrifying. Of course, it helps that SH3/4 doesnt' have sea monsters (unless ASDIC destroyers with hedgehog launchers count).

Ho-hum:

:ohdear::

Also, the Cyclops really needs the Active Sonar mapping the Seamoth has.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aluminum Oxide is found wider, not deeper.

And yes, terrain goes deep. So keep looking around and you'll discover ways down. Although the deeper areas are only semi-finished right now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ambaire posted:

It would be nice to have a gamemode halfway between survival and creative where you don't have to worry about hunger or water or oxygen but you still have to gather resources and everything.

Call it.. Discovery

Just console in this stuff. You can even make yourself invisible to the fish so you can just sightsee without worrying about being eaten by a Reaper Leviathan or whatever.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Console

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thats why the Cyclops needs the same sonar ability the Seamoth can get.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My base is nearly the same spot, I just didn't build right on top of the vent.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yup, its great and you can catch some amazing air. You also go even faster if you move foward, sideways, and upwards at the same time.

Just be careful in the safe shallows, I banged up my seamoth pretty nicely when I did a jump and landed in a very shallow spot and struck rock.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Worse: Laser cutting a hatch to get into a room that was already open.

Wrecks are worthless.

Not for long, IIRC, they're planning on moving most fragments into wrecks, rather than having them scattered about the seafloor.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I experienced a problem like that when I had a chair positioned poorly. When my character sat up in the chair it clipped something else and the resulting "push" caused the sub to move violently. I think it can happen with the helm too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Might want to send feedback about that. Also, who builds base segments from inside the base? The tool was too fiddly when I tried that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has anyone in the thread managed to successfully scan a Reaper and live?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Met posted:

Weren't we some sort of science expedition? Shooting up the wildlife isn't something we came to this planet to do.

The stated mission of the Aurora was to build a new Hyperspace gate or something at the far fringes of explored space. An unstated secondary mission revealed while investigating stuff in the game is that It stopped at the Subnautia Planet to try to ascertain the fate of the Degasi which disapeared 5-10 years ago and was captained by a super rich CEO for another corporation. The implication was money making salvage/rescue.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The best weapon in the game is the Seamoth. :killdozer:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Truga posted:

You can easily put a flower bed thing into your cyclops and plant 4 of those trees in it and never worry about food ever.

Which is kinda lame, but if you don't like that you can also not do it :v:

Hell a single tree will do you just fine. Especially with a stillsuit. Just stick it in one of the round planters in a corner.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lonos Oboe posted:

I don't get much opportunity during play as there is little that can hurt you in it. But when it starts to fill up with water and tips in crazy angles it's a lot of fun/terrifying. I would dig a multiplayer mod that crossed Air Buccaneers with Silent Hunter. Have a crew inside loading torpedos, manning sonar and repairing damage.

Well, its not Subnautica, but have you seen this game in development?

http://www.subsim.com/2016/preview_HMSMarulken.php

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Section Z posted:

You forgot having to feed your alien containment fish tank every day or they die, but also not overfeeding them (or they die).

Funny thing is, when I was setting up my first Peeper tank, I actually checked the database entries for several fauna and collected seeds for the ones they seemed most likely to eat and planted them in the tank. I assumed that since I could put plants in the tank, the fish needed them for food.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I'm not sure where to go next with it, probably something up on the second story where the observatory is now.

Not much of an observatory with that poor view. Put some windows on the ends. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The update is finally out? Or is this another experimental?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah you can just build more constructors, but its still dumb that my Space-Magic replicator 3D printer needs to spend minutes building something because of Realism.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

5 seconds isn't much longer than the animations usually took, so that is tolerable.

As they were was better though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Didn't they push back the fixed geometry world (no pop in) till after this update? :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its the source of the massive pop-in issues since its constantly streaming highly detailed terrain data.

They're going to change the map into one set of solid geometry and be done with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Still wish there was a machine we could feed a bunch of fish or plants into and it all gets processed into those Nutrient blocks that the lifepod has.

Also, I've seen surprisingly little talk of the PRAWN Exo suits so far. Has no one gotten around to building one yet?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Three-Phase posted:

So what's the deal with these "big versions" of the existing resources? Are they a glitch or something else?

Judging by the update video they're for the PRAWN suit to grind up with its mining attachment arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_IuAapLVYc

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did they fix the thing where a region will repopulate even if you don't hunt? I restarted and was amazed at how active the shallows are in the beginning.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doesn't surprise me, nor am I really disappointed tbh.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rhjamiz posted:

YOU CAN'T GET ITEMS BACK FROM THE BIOREACTOR

(oh god someone please make it stop)

What made you think you could? And what did you put in it? You didn't stick your hand in, did you? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aren't solar panels easily found at the edges of the safe shallows?