Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone casually talks about going to the aurora like it's no big deal. The first time I tried to go straight there from the life pod (about 6 months ago) I got my seamoth ripped apart by a reaper, which then chased me down and murdered me while screaming at me. I never want to go back. Did they remove the reaper(s)?

redreader fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So, is there a way to get to and from the Aurora safely?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, everyone apart from thread autist Zesty Crab Legs. I'll try to visit the aurora for the first time now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing this and I am in the grand reef. I'm not sure what the problem is but when I go to a certain depth (or maybe just to a certain place) at 187m the corners of the HUD show some kind of yellow mark and my dude makes weird noises, but my health doesn't seem to be going down. Is it due to some kind of bad guy, or is it just a depth indicator? I've got the rebreather on.

edit: yeah I went to 197 with no ill effects. I wonder what that is?

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 3, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
After reading about stalker teeth, I was prepared to cheat in order to get some. But one piece of scrap, 3 stalkers, 5 teeth in under a minute. It's really not that hard! Finding quartz was a pain in the rear end though, until:

I did manage to build the C...uhhhh, the large submarine last night. It's super unwieldy. So, do I not have to worry about reapers and stuff? It's damage-proof? And it won't remain damage-proof in the endgame? The grand reef has tons of quartz :)

Now that I've got the large submarine I suppose I need to find the moonpool fragments, but I haven't found a single one which is a pain in the rear end.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The titanium floaty crates you can make? or the duffle bags from the wreck?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Seriously. I was thinking "I have 6 silver and 25 gold... gently caress gold". It's definitely the wrong way 'round here.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Dyz posted:

One of my goals is to build a base underneath the floating island with an entrance through the middle pond, a shaft to the reef below, a ring of foundation or cooridoors around it, and multiple 3+ stacked alien containment to brighten up the place into a lightshow. And maybe some random fauna swimming around outside.

Only got to 2 of those before my game became unplayable.

Have they got 'optimization' on the roadmap at all? It chugs on my beastly machine, and the draw distance is really lovely.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z posted:

Well, "Game collapses under it's own weight" has been an issue in one way or another for ages.

The duplicate objects thing was just the latest in a long line of reasons to blame/at cause. So even if that is fixed, in itself that does not mean the overall problems are gone.

EDIT: To be fair, there have been some basic improvements over time. But the overall core issues remain, which tend to render those improvements moot.

With an unfortunate cycle of just being told "Well the roadmap says they won't do it until X date :rolleyes:" and then X date rolls around with "Oh my god, you thought they'd do it at X date? You just don't get gamedev amiright:rolleyes:". So we're at a point posts like this highlighting the wear are rather common.

And that's probably one of the lower passage of time realizations in such posts. Which leaves a guy wondering, how many literal years have to pass until it's no longer entitlement to ask "When fix?.

edit: removing a super douchey post. It's on the roadmap (I checked after posting earlier) and hopefully it should be fixed by 1.0.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 7, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Lol yeah I thought they were ... I was under the impression that the devs generally just released stuff one month late or so, but were updating regularly. I mean, they are like what, 85% of the way done? Hopefully they do get it fixed, but even if they don't, the game is tons of fun and I had to stop playing it this weekend because I was like 20+ hours in and didn't want to burn out "so close to release" :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Night10194 posted:

Oh good. I really hated having my extremely expensive investment be a genuine mobile safe haven I could explore from. That really sucked and I look forward to having to constantly rebuild Cyclops.

Can this game be modded?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

I was considering picking it up but how complete is it? I know it releases in a few months, should I just wait?

They're planning on increasing the price once it's released. I've had enough fun from it to justify having got it for $20.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ah yes, that's how it works, all or nothing. All the next patch will contain, is 'void death', but if we're lucky it'll be 'cyclops death'. None of the last patches contained any content or anything.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Plek posted:

There's a new bugfix patch out. However, when I parked my seamoth in my moonpool, it disappeared at some point while I was doing things in the base. So, uh, keep that in mind.

That's working as intended. This was left in to simulate disastrous mechanical failures in real life. True Survival at its best.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So is this basically done or is there a final release to come? Looking forward to a full playthrough.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Will the escape rocket be patched in or will I have to restart from scratch?

edit: if I start a new game right now, I mean

edit 2: how were fruit 'nerfed'? I last played this like 8 months ago maybe and I just had to knife every 3rd or 4th fruit and I could eat lots of fruit.

redreader fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 19, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've played this a fair amount but I've never done any of the 'late game' stuff e.g. cave exploring. Can someone tell me good areas to set up bases? I always set up my first base in the safe shallows: I started with a platform, a tunnel then a multipurpose room. I've got a radio and replicator setup in there too, and a mobile vehicle platform above it, all close to the lifepod.

I'm still looking for cutting tool specs and seamoth specs. Last time I set up a base near the floating islands / sea treader's path area. I'll probably make one there again this time, but not sure what the best area to 'start off exploring' is apart from the safe shallows, vine areas and red sea type areas (I don't want to put a base in the red areas because of bonesharks though!)

Where are other good base locations?

p.s. game very fun!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I finally built a Cyclops but I'm too scared to use it because I play with the sound off while watching TV, and I've been killed by two Leviathan reapers already, losing my seamoth twice.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I can build the cyclops, prawn and seamoth depth upgrades mk2/3 but they all need the mk1 and I don't have the recipe for any of those!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jusupov posted:

Don't you build that in the moonpool station

Wiki comment is saying it was removed from the game, but I do have it and the recipe. It takes plasteel and kyanite

Aaaahhhh. God drat it. Thanks!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
If I ever see a reaper leviathan it generally knows I'm there. Today I saw a ghost reaper in the blood kelp near the mountains. It was in the distance and just swam along happily. Are they less dangerous than normal reapers?

Also every time a reaper has grabbed my sub it's died instantly, so I'm not sure why I've read that reapers can do 'x damage' to a seamoth because they always completely destroy it when they catch me in it (at 100%)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

funmanguy posted:

I just picked this up, what is the base recommended game mode for going in blind? Freedom or Survival?

I have always played while needing food and water. But that's debatable whether it makes the game more fun or not. The biggest cause of death for me is drowning

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Mrenda posted:

I have just enough components to build either the rebreather or the habitat gun thingy. I don't know if I want to build a base (and so have a place for my resources,) or swim deeper (and find more resources.) I might have to sleep on this. Or be paralysed into no decision.

Also, does anyone feel time goes really slowly when you're playing this? Maybe it's nerves making my time in the game seem longer or maybe it's the dulled underwater sounds and wavy motions, but I can play for twenty minutes and feel like I need a break.

Make a base first.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, late game (?) question: I've been to the Lost River and the Lava Zone with the rock looking like a castle and the Sea King reaper thing that breathes fireballs, and the undersea base. I've also found an undersea base in the lost river, with contamination samples. I used a purple tablet at that lab base. Now I'm at the lava base and I need a blue tablet? I just went back for the purple tablet and that didn't work. I have seen in this thread that you need to scan 'the first blue tablet you see' but I haven't seen one at all. I must be missing another base. I'm not sure where to go now, I suppose I'll try reading all the notes now.

Go Prawn tarzan! it's doable in caves with one grapple arm and one jetpack upgrade. It's not really viable without the Jetpack upgrade.

Also thanks to the Modding Person for the locker mod! I really appreciate it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The blue tablet is in the Thermal Generating Plant within the lava castle. It's definitely in there, so do another sweep through it. You'll need two though, to fully get through the Primary Containment Facility, so you'll have to build another one as well.

Thanks so much. I had no idea I was missing an entire alien base in that area. Now hunting for plants :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I really enjoyed this game and apart from looking at a map, tried not to cheat. At the end, I visited the lava zone base 3 times, and it wasn't enough. I needed stuff I didn't have every time. I ended up cheating some items I knew how to get, in. The final Build Section for ending the game is also bullshit: it doesn't give you the full build list, so each time you build a component you get a new nasty surprise 'oh I have to go to the end of game area, again, for another item I didn't get the first time ion batteries. Apart from this really end-of-game nastiness, it's such a fantastic game. I'm glad I played it!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I bought this game ages ago and never saw a single cuddlefish

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

Will I get a way to recharge batteries anytime soon? I know copper and shrooms aren't exactly uncommon but recharging my seaglide is kind of annoying.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I beelined to the habitat thingy and built a foundation right by my lifepod, a single tube hallway, a solar panel, and like fifty goddamn lockers. Nice having storage space..

I looked on the wiki and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get battery + cell chargers. I finally got a battery charger, and it turns out that the only (second, I'd scanned one cell and one battery charger in the first couple of hours of playing) cell charger left was in a dunes wreck near a leviathan. Since I was in the prawn suit it left me alone and I was able to get out, scan the power cell (on top of the wreck, the wreck has one door you can't open or cut open) and finally got the blueprints. The mushroom forest wrecks had gently caress all in them, same with the sea treader's path and other wrecks mentioned on the wiki. I think the second battery charger one I found was in a bulb zone wreck.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I loved the first game so much, it was amazing. How's Below Zero going? I don't want to play it before it's ready, how far along is it? And will it be more expensive later?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing below zero, I finished the original subnautica and I have a question after playing for an evening: should I have my fabricator tool by now? I have a seatruck, respirator, o2 tank and fins and seaglide, I've scanned the prawn in the lady's base and all of her rooms. I have the moonpool/observation room/large room/window/etc but no actual tool to build a base with! I also have the land vehicle schematic. I've got the schematics for a repair tool and laser cutter but no need for either yet, maybe the repair tool for my seatruck. It just sucks that I can't build a base yet. Did I miss something or is it a later-in-the-game tool?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Below Zero: Thanks for the replies about the handheld tool. You were right, I did walk past it and picked it up at the location I'd already been to. So I have another question, about the laser cutter, I have seen one fragment of it somewhere and need to scan one or two more. I have found two shipwrecks so far that need to be cut into so I wonder if I just haven't seen it yet or if I have missed it as well? I've been to a few locations, but haven't upgraded my seatruck at all yet and only have a rebreather and advanced tank, so since the seatruck is only able to go 150m, I can't reliably go more than about 400. I'm trying to build a deep base somewhere but I think I'll need a second solar panel since one gave me 60% power.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you Ognar and Evilhawk.

Edit: I like exploring and discovering stuff and wouldn't say I'm at all 'stuck' right now!

There was some stuff (laser cutter) in a wreck I hadn't noticed, so now I've gone through two wrecks with my laser cutter.

I've got the mod station and the first depth upgrade to my seatruck, and it looks like I need the spiral plants for the second depth upgrade. I take it they're in an obvious place and I'll know them when I see them (it has an image of them). If it's like that, then please don't tell me where they are.

Also I got a vehicle schematic for a land vehicle but no way to build it, and I have no way to build a prawn suit yet either, not sure if I'm missing out.

Lead seems to be pretty rare in this game, I'm having luck in the spiral bridges area though. I just got the geothermal plant schematics so I'll try using that to build halfway point bases a bit deeper. And maybe I should just make a second o2 tank, because I sure am running out of breath and dying regularly. What makes them say 'you died' vs 'you died and lost some stuff'. Is it distance to the seatruck/base?

I have some artifacts to go to but they're all a bit too deep for me.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 10, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Another Below Zero question, I suppose I'm mid-way? I just went into the anemone leviathan and got the spiral plant so now I have prawn and seatruck v2 depth upgrades. I have no green alien artifact points left to explore and I just met the lady in her glacial greenhouse and she told me to get a pda log which would 'point me in the right direction'. I got 2 logs from her greenhouse and one is with her and sam talking, and she told Sam to blow something up in a cave, and that she'd destroy the lab herself. I see no new points on my map. What am I supposed to do? could you give me some spoiler-free hints? Or maybe I just missed another pickup?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

I dont remember order of things so well, I explore so much I think I always get the story out of order.
If you've been to the greenhouse on the ice, then you have passed the lily pads.
Try exploring more in between here and there.
Hmm, did you check out all the PDAs in both her bases?

Ok, if the lily pads are the floating islands then yes, I've found them. I didn't put a beacon down at the greenhouse base, and I realise I've been going all around the map I know, which is demarcated by beacons, but there's about 800 meters in the greenhouse direction with no beacons so I've never been going in that direction. I'll go there, drop a beacon, and then find the edge of the world and explore within it. Thanks! I forgot about that area!

In the original I looked at a map fairly early on and found a lot of biomes I'd missed. I want to try to not do that right now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Ethics_Gradient posted:

She has another base, if you poke around there (and go down) you'll find the next area.

Thanks for this. I had *no idea* where to go next, I got my wife to look up the location of the lab and I went there and scanned some useful things but it didn't advance the plot at all. I then went back to the place you mentioned and wow, a whole new area! There are a couple of things I really want that would make me happy, but I've got 1 of 2 parts of them scanned and I don't remember where I got them to search for the rest, so I'll probably start looking up spoilers soon prawn suit docking module for seatruck, grappling arm for prawn suit.

Am I near the end of the game, or not really? It seems like the original had a better map. This map has a lot of shallow areas, a couple of deep areas, and a lot of hidden caves. The original had more deep open areas and huge beautiful bits like the mushroom forest, jellyshroom caves, etc from what I can recall. Also I haven't done much stuff on the surface, and it seems like there's stuff that'll probably happen there but I haven't seen any places to go on the surface other than that one cache, the satellite base, the one artifact area, and the plant greenhouse base on the glacier

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know. I was into subnautica when it was in early access, and they did actually finish the game properly and came out with it. They took a while to release it but it got done. From what I've seen of below zero, they've done a fantastic job here too. It may not be finished within a few months but it will probably be finished this year IMO. I'm guessing it'll be done before June.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Wafflecopper posted:

Did they though

Yes. They did.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't been reading this thread since Below Zero's first build came out and I haven't seen anyone argue about this but so far it seems I'm in the minority. I played the early access of the original and loved it, then replayed it and finished it when it came out. I got stuck in terrain a couple of times but that was about it, a save and reload fixed that. In Below Zero I haven't seen any bugs at all.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok so, below zero chat. For people who don't want to be spoiled, I'm just saying that it's incomplete, and that prompts for the plot seem to be missing, rather than just 'the end section is not there' which seems to also be a thing. It's good to play but I think I'll have to restart when it comes out probably? If you've waited this long, play it to base build now since the mechanics seem to all be there, or just wait a few more months 'til it's done.

So I've never seen an ice worm, but I ran out of story prompts when I visited Margerite at her glacial greenhouse. I have made it into the ice caves and built the architect's skeleton, the first part of his body, but the next things to build are blank, and he's not saying anything to me any more, after saying 'build the next component' with no signs about what that might be. I went to the lab too, and that didn't advance the story. I haven't seen an ice worm or any other land predators, so there must be an above ground section I'm missing. I don't really care about being spoiled any more so I wonder what I'm missing and if that's supposed to move the plot or if I've done a bunch of stuff out of turn.

I didn't find where sam went to blow something up in a cave, and I haven't found any magnetite yet so I must be missing some fairly deep area although I don't really have any idea where.

edit: I thought maybe if I went back to my base I might get more talk, or if I built a control room and entered it the plot might advance. Nope. I have a base with a moonpool, alien containment, 2 all purpose rooms and a scanner room. I am lacking magnetite.

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the pointers. But... I think without audio logs telling me to go there, I'm just going there for no reason. I suspect I'm missing some plot. I've enjoyed it and played it solidly for like 30-40 hours at this point but I think I'm putting it down until it's done, because I'm just going to locations you're telling me about with no real reason, due to having exhausted all of the 'go here now' plot pointers.