Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I've Steam Borrowed this game from a friend for several hours and I really like it but also am so disturbed by and terrified of the deep/open ocean that it can get uncomfortable to play. I feel extremely dumb tooling along the bottom of the ocean on my Seaglide looking for resources and telling myself "It's just a video game, it doesn't matter if your character dies" over and over.

I'm leaning towards picking it up, if only so that I can play during the evening when he's home, but since there's a thread I figured I'd ask about how good/bad the development history and developers are viewed by the existing players. Any warning signs or notable accomplishments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You can pack all four slots with storage modules, if you want to forego the depth module. 64 slots is a lot of space, but basically the only reason I can think of that I would do this is scouring the shallower biomes for metal salvage.

e: also, I reserve one of my 3 cargo bays for mission equipment; propulsion cannon, spare tank, extra beacons, a power cell and two batteries, two medkits, at least one salted fish and a bottle of water.

Unless I'm going to be dodging reapers, this is great for rapid-ish exploration of areas and marking of significant sites. I'm only on my second playthrough so there are still several areas I haven't been through much, and I've found a few new wrecks since restarting after the patch.

Obviously if I'm going out into Reaper country I'm going to want to bring a drill or punchy arm along on my shrimp suit.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 24, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I say three because there are three different spots on the model for adding more lockers, and depending where you put them you get extra lockers. I guess the fourth just makes one of them bigger? I've never tried.

As of right now, there are four locker hardpoints on the moth, two out on the wing-ish projections and two on the upper body area, one on each side. Each provides a 4x4 block of inventory slots, and their locations on the sub paper doll correspond to which position they'll show up in.

As for accessing them while docked in the Cyclops, I can't see a way to accomplish that without, say, a ladder. My general approach when operating with the PRAWN has been to park near the Cyclops, swim in to dump my personal inventory, then swim back out to empty the suit's before I dock it. I apparently have a pretty high tolerance for this type of inventory management.

Dyz posted:

If you're docking the prawn with the cyclops you can just use the cyclops lockers to store your survival stuff. You can always build more if you need them.

Yeah I had kind of assumed that, in the event storage space was an issue, the Cyclops wasn't in play. My post-update save is only like 11 hours old, pretty sure I was in the middle of wreck diving in order to find the last few fragments I need for it.

Everything else has definitely been easier to find. I had the equipment modification station before I assembled the resources for my PRAWN, and for the first time the propulsion cannon before I made my first trip out to the Aurora to shore up the reactor and get the seamoth poo poo. Definitely seems like there's a seaglide fragment in every single small-cargo-box-with-one-open-side in the Shoals and Kelp Forests, which is Cool and Good.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

queeb posted:

nah like a stargate lookin thing

There are a lot of references to 'the teleporters' on the wiki and in this thread, I'd assume it's one of those. I don't think any of them are working yet.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Digirat posted:

When people talk about a floating island is there an actual island floating in the sky above the water, or do they mean platforms suspended in the water that are covered in floaters? I found an area with a bunch of those but did not see anything useful in the area. But I didn't look around for more than a minute or two because I was running out of batteries

Yeah, there's a zone in the northern center of the map where you can find a bunch of giant chunks of rock suspended mid-ocean by giant floaters, including one which has a wreck on it. This place isn't to be confused with the actual Floating Island, which is an enormous chunk of rock suspended by a very large number of giant floaters such that it floats on the surface and supports some dry-land vegetation. It's located generally south from the Shoals, above the Grand Reef.

There are three different abandoned bases on this island, which you can scan in order to get the blueprints for the MPR and the Observatory, as well as indoor and outdoor grow beds, at least one kind of plant pot, and some other sundries. Also the beds and pots have edible vegetation growing in them; cut 'em up with your knife to get samples or seeds to bring back to your habitat. Personally I prefer the Marblemelons; every one of my bases gets a bioreactor as an internal backup power supply, and it has a pot full of melons planted right in the same room for fuel. I haven't had to rely on fish power since I figured this out in my first game.

It does kind of turn Alien Containment setups into a vanity project which functions as an additional layer of food/water/power redundancy, but that doesn't stop me from installing a mixed tank of peepers and bladderfish in every outpost as well. So far, every time I've died in this game that wasn't from getting stuck on geometry in a wreck or failing to avoid Reapers it's been from a lack of preparedness, so I never go anywhere or build anything without one or more backup plans.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Right, they're not optimal in terms of energy density but thus far four melons will grow to maturity more rapidly than the reactor can consume the three that I'm going to pick, making it an effectively infinite fuel source for the bioreactor's pittance of power as long as I keep up with it properly.

I get most of my power from thermal generators, they're a much more rapid power source which doesn't require any attention or upkeep once established. Every outpost is linked to at least two, sometimes on pretty long runs. Got to find something to do with all of this garbage gold!

The bioreactors are part of the general approach I've been taking with the game, to overbuild and overprepare for everything. In the event I was somehow trapped in one of the outposts and the link to the thermals was cut, I would still be able to keep life support and the fabricator working with the one reactor. I considered adding another MPR with peeper-and-bladderfish-stocked alien containment to the standard outpost plan but the emergency melon reactors are already a bit much. Maybe if I'm ever settling in a Reaper haunt for some reason?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Coffeehitler posted:

And those people are worse than Hitler.

Normally I would scoff, but I guess you're in a position to know if anyone is!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Coffeehitler posted:

I just want them to finish the loving story.

You escape safely, only to be blamed by Alterra for the loss of the Aurora and put into debtors' slavery for 87,472 natural human lifespans.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

JFC posted:

Is there a console command to delete a structure? I made the mistake of trying to put a picture frame over a glass window and now I can't destroy the thing.

The above might work, you could also try deconstructing the window first and then rebuilding it after.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I feel bad eating peepers because they're adorable.

I feel a little brutal when I climb into my peeper tank, casually execute three of their number by heat blade, then climb out and stuff my loving face with them in front of the glass while the survivors look on, but life in nature is brutal I guess. Definitely don't feel bad about bootstrapping an expansion base with a temporary bioreactor and the sandshark I hatched to identify their eggs though! Batteries for the hab tool aren't just going to charge themselves, fucker.

Also, I put up my second base on a mountain ridge between the floating islands and the big northern Blood Kelp zone, it turns out about 400m from the Blood Kelp entrance to the Lost River (max-upgraded scanner room showed me 5 nickel ore just past the entrance to the tunnel, loving score). I tossed down three thermal reactors with a power line on the Floating Islands seafloor and named the beacon Three Towers, but it could barely keep up with a filter and the scanner room and I was too tired/high/strung out on deep water to come up with another name...

So I just built two more clutches of three thermal reactors, thinking I could daisy-chain the power line from that main-effort base to a moonpool-scanner-fabricator-filter base on the intersection between the northern tip of the western Mushroom Forest, western Blood Kelp boundary, and the eastern edge of the Dunes, but it turns out a power line is a plant-to-habitat only proposition, one can't place branches or run a line from a connected hab. So, get the gently caress out of here nuclear, my main base has 9 thermal plants for a 2250 power maximum. Shifted around my crafting room to fit another filter into it because loving come on. And, I still need to find a thermal source for the eastern scan station.

It's a travesty that this game released without a Cyclops umbilical dock, gently caress a thermal reactor upgrade for that thing just let me mainline this planet's geothermal potential right into my exploitation machines.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 31, 2018

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

curious posted:

edit: ps. did parts of this game remind anyone else of the Peter Watts book “Starfish”?

I name my first thermal installation "Beebee Station," though it's usually one of the Shallows vents so the name isn't terribly accurate. Definitely going to give Starfish a re-read after I'm done with my current novel.

Also, I haven't knocked over all of the wrecks or scoured the seabed, so I don't have the Cyclops but I just completed a thermal-powered moonpool/room/scanner room base with a view of the Lost River ray tree and when I play next I'm heading into the Inactive Lava Zone. The default-range scanner holo looks pretty loving awesome, looking forward to getting all the upgrades installed.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So I've got the mk1 depth upgrade for the Cyclops in my PDA's list of recipes, but I can't build one in the cyclops fabricator, or in a mod station I built in the Cyclops, or in the Moonpool vehicle upgrade station. I'm probably just going to console one in so I can upgrade it (I have all of the materials packed into the Cyclops for the final descent), but this is kind of frustrating. If anyone knows the real solution to this problem I wouldn't mind hearing it?

Of course, it's the first significant bug I've encountered other than watching leviathans swim through walls (no shallows ambushes though) and pop-in. Despite the continuing issues, this is a really cool game.'

e: never mind, it was this

xiw posted:

Are you sure you're using the separate fabricator built into the cyclops on the starboard side by the engine?

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 8, 2018

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Microcline posted:

They got the cyclops in a decent place balance wise in that it's effectively invincible as long as it's not being used to deliberately antagonize leviathans.

I agree with the balance part but I also took the steps advised by this thread the first time my Cyclops took aggro from the Lost River Ghost Leviathan (engine off, step away from the helm), it continued to attack my boat and it was doing hull damage.

Vorkosigan posted:

At least there's the view....

:golfclap:

uXs posted:

Another rather dumb thing is how you don't get the blueprint for one rocket part until you've built the previous one. Making one huge fetch quest into five different ones is kinda stupid when there's no logical in-game reason you wouldn't have the ingredient list before you start building.

Yeah I dropped the platform right above my 300m-deep main habitat and parked the Cyclops which was packed completely full of everything that hadn't been nailed down from any of my outposts with the hatch right next to a ladder, so it wasn't bad.

Thought I was going to have to make a titanium run, but instead I disassembled one of my Moon Pools for titanium ingots, much more convenient. Also it turns out the fastest way down was dropping in the PRAWN from the Cyclops, then parking it and taking the formerly-parked Seamoth back up.

Dropped the highest-tier pressure modules, a couple of PRAWN arms, and a single stalker tooth into my time capsule, along with a picture of all three of my vehicles posed near my Kelp Forest base at night. Hopefully it saves someone a bunch of time on their second playthrough, or at least the first five slots do.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Section Z posted:

Holy poo poo they finally patched live.

44 days after launch. Complete with animated gif proudly proclaiming "20+ launch bugs squashed"

No mention of being unable to access PRAWN inventory or modification panel while docked in the Moon Pool, one of the most glaringly obvious bugs which every player runs into dozens of times per playthrough.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Did anyone else name their seamoth Scooty Puff Jr?

Black and yellow color scheme for visibility, themed name Bumblebee Tuna.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Rutibex posted:

That doesn't happen though, when you get warped out of the Prawn it floats

I definitely had this happen in my post-launch playthrough, but I assumed it was a glitch. Persisted through saves and poo poo, made Warpers fairly trivial even in the deepest zones.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I guess that's that. One of the weirdest things is a sandbox survival/building/exploration game that actually ends, and positively encourages you to finish it no less. (Left a time capsule with a Stillsuit, snack and water) Given the setting background one might be tempted to say nuts to the corporate dystopia and stay as an aquatic park ranger.

I won't swear that this much thought was put into the matter by the developers, but it seems like you would want to leave and interact with other humans eventually. And since your cell phone's native AI is tracking every single one of your movements and actions, there would probably be consequences to just chilling "on Alterra's dime" for five or ten years away from the hellgrind.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Bloody Emissary posted:

My first Cyclops expedition ended about as poorly as it gets: it got completely wrecked by a reaper leviathan close to my main base, so the leviathan's ranging area moved to include it. I had to wait for it to swim a ways away every time I wanted to enter or leave the base.

I made a second one, but that first disaster was pretty traumatizing in terms of lost materials and I never ended up using it for much besides storage. :shrug:

You're supposed to be able to board the downed Cyclops and fix it, though I guess if you had a reaper constantly patrolling getting it away without getting sunk again could be problematic.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

They're just going to make another flawed but gorgeous story with the same buggy engine, probably with a lot of the same bugs.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Zesty posted:

In the Early Access people were using two grapple arms and just going hog wild. Don’t know if that’s worth it with how useful the drill arm is.

You keep a drill with you and jump out to swap it in, you spend way more time moving around than you do mining.

Bonus points if you are under attack by someone big and need to switch in a way to do damage, that was...maybe my only death on my full completion run.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The only true completion run is to kill absolutely every self-animated life form on the map.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Cool, good to know!

I thought I'd stacked them right, but when I got inside it hadn't punched a hole between them. I'll take another whack at it.

You then have to build a Ladder inside ti be able to transit decks.

On the up side, if you build alien containment tanks in stacked multipurpose rooms you get a double-tall tank with double the containment capacity, which can be further stacked up for some really awesome environments and the ability to swim from level to level. Build a hatch on the containment glass to access it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

(for the labels)

I could swear that there is a label item which you can stick to the outside of a large locker.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Also, apparently getting new camera drones is as simple as using the habitat builder to mildly reconstruct the scanner room by undoing it 1% and fixing it back up.

Do remember to take the upgrades out of their panel if you're going to use this, nothing like realizing you're out of Magnetite after blackholing your set of four range upgrades.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I had to build an empty multipurpose room to hold reinforcements because I insisted on building every possible window into the upper floor and moon pool of my deepest base-with-a-veiw, as well as an observatory.

Huge fan of having a window on the wall of a moon pool the vehicle faces towards on launch. Nothing like making eye contact with the crabsquid I'm hopping in my PRAWN to merc as I drop.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Cool now give us a meltdown where you try to find a time when it is ok to deploy racial epithets.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Morphix posted:

how boring is your loving life that you have the time and energy to track users posting history on this forum

Don't be a hilariously thin-skinned racist pedant and people won't be able to gently caress with you for being a hilariously thin-skinned racist pedant?

Worked for me so far.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Morphix posted:

5 minutes after this I won't even remember

Replying to very mildly-worded criticism with a wall of text about how not-mad you are for sure conveys this!

Subnautica is a weird niche game with a hell of a lot of issues, but which nailed ambiance and exploration (at least the first time through), and where game progression is mainly about overcoming a common fear of the deep ocean and the poo poo living in it instead of purely being a series of fetch-and-build checkpoints.

Getting histrionic about other hobbyists' willingness to put up with flaws in order to enjoy the merits of a very cool and innovative take on the wider genre of "fell into island/planet alone with no resources, build poo poo and secure food to live," especially on the basis of an extremely facile comparison to video games which were orders of magnitude less complex, designed for consoles, and are part of a wildly different genre, is for sure a sign of a cogent and respectable opinion-haver, though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If you're going to pick a hill to die on in a Something Awful thread it's pretty important to stop moving your goalposts and generating new flavors of strawman at some point, if only breifly. It seems greedy to want to die on half-a-dozen at once!

I keep expecting you to try and suss out what minority/minorities I might belong to so you can deploy your most powerful semantic arsenal as a warning to me and others that your hysterical bloviation is not to be trifled with but all I get are wet-noodle personal attacks based mostly on bad-faith readings of my comments. At least I'm getting time-and-a-half to read and reply to your posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Morphix posted:

that's so cool man, wow you're getting paid time AND a half? Wow

you're the precious 'Ironic Detachment' online minority. nobody except yourself is impressed that you can identify other emotions online.

Really, that's IT?! Wet fart and some generic projection? Ah well, fun while it lasted.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:munch:

I was expecting BZ updates, but this was just as entertaining.
:justpost:

Sorry, I apparently hosed up the leading statements, this show appears to be over.

I do think it's a little silly to assume that BZ wasn't going to have all of the same problems that Subnautica had (it's an expansion, if they didn't rewrite the entire engine to pull terraforming and voxels out of the base game they for sure weren't going to do it for BZ), but I have hope that they'll preserve enough of the feel of the first game to have a similar feeling of discovery and wonder on the first playthrough, even though it won't be the same as the first-ever time on 4546B.

Maybe they'll make enough to fund an all-up sequel with an engine rewrite?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Basically if you run out of plot leads in Subnautica, by default you should try going deeper, in directions you haven't traveled in yet.

There are plot hooks in the Jellyshroom Cave plot location, check your PDA for logs that you missed picking up or go back for a more thorough search.

Also haul as much magnetite as you can fit in your cargo bays and inventory out of that cave, it will save you more trips later.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

As far as similarly colorful building games, I am hopeful about Satisfactory, but haven't actually had the chance to try it or watch much footage.

Satisfactory has drop-dead gorgeous environments and the unlockable ability to recolor anything you've built, but it doesn't have quite the atmosphere of Subnautica.

It is a loving amazing game, however! If Factorio looked interesting but too cerebral and finicky for you, or if you loving live Factorio and wished for a high-res 3D version where you are physically climbing all over your machines and conveyor belts to check settings and connections, it is worth a look.

The world is huge and has a ton of vertical scaling; I've built giant ramps across lakes and huge elevated highways to allow autopiloted vehicles to avoid needing to negotiate less-predictable terrain features where they might get stuck, or fall off.

There are at least a dozen different kinds of wildlife so far, including territorial types which need to be cleared in order to access resources, little colorful scenery guys, and at least one really cool looking huge grazer thing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

GotLag posted:

Warpers don't like when you grapple and punch them in the Aggression Suit

The grapple arm will grab on to any lifeform in the game and pull you toward it, including normal-sized fish if you manage to hit one (I don't think I've ever done this on purpose).

Any threat worth fighting, is worth sea-lasso'ing and bareback riding while punching or grinding with the drill!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

it happens, but if you survive the fall, just run until you start swimming again, it eventually will "recognize" you're underwater and return to normal

I always had to build a hallway and hatch to enter and exit in order for the game to realize I was swimming again. Also I only encountered this bug once post-release, and my sub was chilling near the seafloor in the Lost River so I was able to build, transit, deconstruct, and make it back inside my large adult son before drowning!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There's no substitute for the feeling of being eaten by the Ghost Leviathan while trying to swap out your drill to your grapple arm in preparation to rodeo it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

Subnautica does this, apparently even on beastly rigs. The best performance increase I saw personally came from when I moved the game from my magnetic hard disk to my SSD one, but I'm not convinced there's a single agreed fix for these issues.

Pulling data out of the page file is going to be a LOT faster on an SSD as well, though slotting in more RAM is probably more of a help to this specific issue.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The first time I went all the way deep, I actually parked the barge and went down in a PRAWN with a backpack full of two thermal reactors, a room, a moon pool, and four power cell chargers.

Building that poo poo and slamming it full of spare cells was a lot faster than equipping the cyclops and gave me a fallback in practical range of things in case not scraping leeches left me dead in the water.

Totally overkill though, made it in and out of plot stuff only needing to replace two cells.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I would really appreciate a mod that lets you supercharge the repulsion cannon (like by shoving an ion power cell into it) to make it capable of punting reapers into orbit launching reapers high enough that the defense cannon takes them out

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

Trouble is how exactly do you defend yourself from something like this? And where would you even put it? Seems more like something that would make the most sense as something that marks the game's boundaries. Put that motherfucker in the void and all it'd have to do is blink to scare most players back to the play area.

Why would something this size ever go after something the size of a Seamoth? That's the kind of thing which would need prey larger than a ghost leviathan for them to be worth expending energy to hunt and eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Do you think whales only eat larger whales?

Fair, I am assuming from the conversation and visual appearance that it's intended to be a predator.

A predator of that size would absolutely have a lower size limit for prey, below that limit nothing would be nutritious enough to be a net positive after expending all the energy needed to propel that enormous body on the hunt.