Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Xibanya posted:

Unity will let them have their source code if they buy a source license, it's as simple as that. I think Blizzard has a source license for Unity for their Hearthstone stuff. So none of this is really the fault of Unity as an engine.

Unity's Licensing FAQ posted:

We license Unity source code on a per-case and per-title basis via special arrangements made by our business development team. As this can be quite expensive, we do not generally license source code to smaller operations, educational institutions, nor to companies in countries which do not have adequate legal intellectual property protection.

Considering they have a blog post titled, “Why You Probably Don’t Need a Source Code License,” I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Somebody earlier mentioned that marblemelons were bugged. What, exactly, is the problem with them?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Did you not read the dozens of posts in this thread saying hardcore mode is bullshit because this exact thing would happen?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Microcline posted:

I'd say there are a few big problems with the endgame.

1. Exploring with the cyclops is less fun than exploring without it
Even ignoring that the endgame is all caves, it's a permanent movable spawn point. It's too irreplaceable for piloting it to be interesting while at the same time removing all danger from swimming outside.

2. The endgame is barren and linear
It's got pretty assets but there's only one new powerup (ion batteries) and only one two new resources (nickel and kyanite). You're just going down a linear corridor to the next plot point.

3. None of the vehicles fit the endgame
You're either playing Eurotruck no danger tunnel simulator or going in the prawn and building a base every time you want to fabricate something. The seamoth isn't even allowed.

When driving the seaglide, seamoth, or prawn, a leviathan is dangerous, which is interesting. When driving the cyclops, its inconvenient, which is less interesting than if there were no leviathan at all.

Learning how to grapple effectively with the PRAWN alleviates a lot of these issues. It’s still tense avoiding Warpers and leviathans, but it’s a hell of a lot more fun than piloting a clunky sub around and hoping you don’t get rammed by a Ghost while you’re stuck in trees.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Feonir posted:

Further evidence of the "Humanity exists to pet things" theory.

https://i.imgur.com/17kwhW2.mp4

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The biggest issues seem to be geometry not loading in quickly enough, which can result in you getting stuck out of bounds when stuff loads around you, and problems with collision in indoor areas, which can result in you or your PRAWN suit falling out of bounds or not entering water mode and getting stuck in the bottom of the ocean. The best way to mitigate these issues is to install on to an SSD or RAM disk, and save often. If worst comes to worst, you can use the console to warp yourself back home and build a new PRAWN suit.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Soho Joe posted:

I've been goofing around with console commands since I won, but I never save, so I freaked out when a late game creature showed up while I was scouring the Grand Reef.

It was a baby emperor! It wandered away before I could park my Prawn and throw fish at it, oh well :unsmith:

Fun fact: They grow up.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I don’t really consider that a huge drawback. It’s inherent in most games in the horror genre. Replaying something like SOMA wouldn’t have the same impact for the same reasons, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad or not worth the money.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

President Ark posted:

re: saving the sunbeam: i've been told that in order to do it you need to turn the gun off before the countdown timer telling you when the sunbeam arrives even shows up; once the timer appears, the sunbeam's fate is already decided

It might be even harder than that, maybe when you get the first call, or even before that. The only guaranteed way to do it is to make sure you do not have a working radio until it is safe, which will give you the alternate dialog and skip the dialog that starts the countdown.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Close the thread, it’s done. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Outer Wilds is not really a survival game. It’s primarily a mystery/exploration game. Crafting is virtually nonexistent. There are very few hostile lifeforms, and much fewer methods to deal with them than Subnautica. The oxygen timer is also much more forgiving. Minor mechanic spoiler: Suicide is also a valid, and sometimes the best, approach, whereas Subnautica rewards players with escape plans.

The closest similarity is in the environments: They are hand-made, distinct, visually striking, and come with their own, unique challenges. It nails the otherworldly feel, just as Subnautica does.