Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

uPen posted:

Outer Wilds is quite good.

This is a bit of an understatement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

TBF this usually isn't a problem, the game is very well made, so each "expedition" usually takes about 20m to finish. Usually when the reset comes you are actually looking forward to it.

Yeah, this.

There were several runs where I had hoped to have juuuuust a minute or two more to figure out a couple of extra thing in the current loop I was exploring, and there were a few moments, where I was mildly frustrated that I had to wait towards the end of the next loop to continue what I had previously been exploring, but there was never a point where it really impacted my enjoyment of the game.

There were so many moments in the game where I legit went "ooooh poo poo, that is amazing", or "holy poo poo, that makes sense now", and each moment was amplified by the fact that I stumbled across a solution or figured something out by happenstance.
It was probably the most rewarding and emotional game I've played in...probably ever.

It's also the only game I can recall where the conclusion actually brought me to tears, specifically the point where the individual melodies of all the Hearthians playing their instruments came together into one melody

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Have they announced whether anything early/midgame/overall mechanics will change upon release, or will they just patch in a finish to the storyline?

I was planning on waiting for the release, but didn't realize it's still six days from now, so I'm thinking about starting the game up and hoping that "the end" will be available by next weekend?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I thought the release was gonna be 1500 UTC?

Not gonna kick a gift-horse in the dick, though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

uXs posted:

Oh my, you can independently toggle the thing and the thing on the thing now?

Best. Game. Ever.

The what and the what on the what?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

OgNar posted:

How to get truck or prawn down into the mine easily.

The vents right in front of the docks, lead you down to the big room in the mine.
It can get a little tight here and there but very easy to get one or the other down this way.
I first discovered this when I was in the big room and looked up and noticed one of the meshes blocking the holes was torn off.

To be fair, the hydrothermal vents in BZ are much more intense than in vanilla, making this a bit of a terrifying journey.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Just finished the game, and it was honestly worth the 20 bucks. There were a couple of elements that I would say were implemented "a little roughly", or not as good as they could have been implemented, but I enjoyed the change-up with the lore.
Being completely on your own worked really well for the original Subnautica and - conversely - not being "completely" alone really worked for Below Zero in my opinion.

I feel like they really could have made the different storylines mesh a little more, but other than that, it was alright.

One thing I'll say about Below Zero that turned out completely different for me vs. Vanilla was base-building. In Vanilla, my bases were entirely functional, literally nothing else. Yeah, I had access to desks, and beds, and command chairs, and wall planters and whatnot, but none of my base design ever went anything past utilirarian.
In Below Zero, once I casually put up a poster I found (pretty much just to free up inventory space), I figured "you know what? Let's spruce this place up a little", and I ultimately spent SO MUCH MORE time on base building than in vanilla.

Those pics of Sam and potato? Let's put those on a fancy desk. Maybe have it face a window panel to overlook the entrance to the twisty bridges. And a desk needs a swivel chair, obviously, maybe a funny motivational poster next to the desk. Well, I can't have all this utility poo poo in the same room as my "living room", better add another stack of multipurpose room, I could put the nuclear reactor in the bottom, and then reinforce the whole thing. Maybe also add a bulkhead, because that makes sense. Oh, I can't hear my jukebox in the moonpool and greenhouse? Gotta add some speakers so I have the chill tunes in every corner of my base.

I guess I could have had a similar experience in Vanilla, but it just never seemed "desirable" given the setting of the game.
Here's a pic from I think the midgame, before I went completely nuts on my greenhouse.

I put my base on the northeast edge of delta island, at one of the twisty bridges entrances, just about 200m south of some abandoned/defunct floating pengling research station with a dangling power wire.
Super central location with quick access to pretty much every resource in the game with the exception of magnetite and kyanite, but the deep purple spires are only about 400m off.

Two things that I've noticed:
- Did resource nodes (limestone, etc. all breakable rocks, table coral, etc.) respawn in vanilla Subnautica as well? Because I don't recall that being a thing in the original game, and I immediately noticed that nodes were respawning pretty frequently in BZ, which made resource gathering much less of a hassle.
- I'm pretty sure my nuclear reactor was bugged, because there's no way this is intentional. I built the reactor around 12-14 hours into my game and only dumped in one fuel rod (of which I had six thanks to wreck-spelunking), and that fuel rod is still not burned out 26 hours in.
And I have a filtration machine, power cell and battery chargers operating everytime I return to base, a scanner room, a jukebox, a fridge, a bunch of flood lights, of course the fabricator use, seatruck recharging in the moonpool...and my base's power just occasionally dipped to 2500/2700 but recharged up to capacity every time.
Yeah, I have three solar panels on the roof, but those had trouble even keeping up with recharging my seatruck while everything else in the base was running, and they do fuckall during the night.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

I have no idea how you guys can see a shark in that screenshot, my eyes must not be working. edit: ah video, gotcha

-It's 50 bucks here =/ Makes it a harder pill
-Unless things changed in 1.0, nodes shouldn't respawn.
-Nuke rods have 20k charge which is gargantuan; most people will probably go through the game with their main base draining less than that, especially since running 3 desalinators 24/7 isn't needed anymore. The order-of-drain for power sources is still buggy/erratic, so it's entirely possible the solar cells are being drained first which probably helps too.

That makes sense, i could see my three solar panels lessening the strain on the reactor.

But I can definitely confirm that my resource nodes have been respawning (either upon loading of a save or over time, not entirely sure) both before and after 1.0 release.

I had cleared out pretty much every rock about 200m around my base when I started building it and crammed it into a whole bunch of big lockers in my storage room. Several times thereafter, I'd find the immediate surrounding of my base repopulated with resource nodes when I had to go out resource scavenging for future construction.

This did not, however include the mining nodes, because I could confirm (at least for kyanite nodes in the crystal caves) that they were still depleted when I swung by for a later visit.

Also, someone explain to me why the Alterra PDA narrator voice occasionally switches to an Indian accent. Was there an explanation for that which I missed, or was it supposed to be two different narrators depending on the PDAs I picked up? (i.e. Alterra vs. Transgov?)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oasx posted:

I really don’t like glacial area, it’s like a worse version of the lava zone. The cold mechanic, the ice worm and the fact that it’s just just a series of tunnels and caves where you more or less have to rely on blind luck to find anything. It’s just not very fun.

The glacial basin and arctic spires felt really underwhelming to me because I didn't really need to go there with the exception of an extremely limited amount of story elements. The latter, especially, felt super-pointless, because by the time I accessed it, I didn't need any of the bountiful resource-deposits there, so it was literally a one-time exploration to look for one of the architect-parts and then I never needed to go back. If they had somehow implemented mechanics or storyline-points to MAKE you go there earlier in the game, I would have loved the amount of resources there. I even found the alternate-access (through the architect elevator and tunnel) and was really bummed that I hadn't attempted to go there earlier. The ice worm was cool as hell, but honestly a minor nuisance. Didn't even feel like a leviathan since I could just jump back onto my snow fox right after being knocked off and that was it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Turns out the main benefit of the "control room" is the ability to play dress-up with your base.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone explain to me how the gently caress putting down a scanner room works

This:

is apparently poobrain, even though it connects to the fuckin main room, while this:

is how I'm meant to attach it even though you can't ladder up cause there's a machine in the middle of the room!!!

How do I build this piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you retroactively add those foundations after the multipurpose room on the right had been built?
I made that mistake and then couldn't remove the foundation without removing the attached objects. Unfortunately, you also can't just remove the multipurpose room without all attached objects contained therein, which was most of my full lockers and other poo poo at that point, so I just went "I guess that foundation is gonna stay there forever now".

Retroactively adding foundations to existing buildings can have the side-effect that the foundation snaps to the building higher (and clip through the bottom bit a little) than if you would place the building on top of the already placed foundation.
When you then try to connect something to the first building, it'll tell you that it "collides" with the same foundation that ironically "does not collide with" the existing building.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Regarding Sea Monkeys: I had a sea monkey bring me some lead, which was awesome. I saw an entry in the PDA which seemed to imply that I could train the moneys to bring me poo poo, but I'm not quite sure how because I totally do not know when I got that entry. Anyone else got this?

The sea monkeys stop stealing from you and instead start bringing you items once you have Al-An in your head, iirc. I don't believe there's a way to ask for specific items beyond that, I think that's just something Robin says she wish she could do in the voice log.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

in below zero I found the nuclear reactor but not the radiation suit or nuclear waste disposal bin. were those removed in below zero and are they not necessary to use the nuclear reactor? I never used nuclear in subnautica so I don't know how it works.

I'm not sure I ever used (or had to use) a radiation suit while operating my vanilla reactor, but there's definitely no radiation issue with the BZ version. You get a geiger counter sound when picking up fresh rods, but that's pretty much it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

OgNar posted:

You simply need to pin a recipe to your hud

Get the gently caress outta here :aaaaa:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh god, I googled a video for this and additionally learned that you can apparently build double-wide alien containments in large rooms.
Goddamn, I wish I'd picked up on this sooner.

My next playthrough is essentially just going to be 70% homebuilding

Something I also never thought of is that you can breed sea monkeys and then just release them outside your base since they don't despawn unless killed.
Someone should try this in combination with the HUD-recipe trick for resource-gathering.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i murdered a stalker in its cave and found a bunch of fur laying around in there, so just do that

I murdered a stalker in its cave because there were a couple heaps of fur behind it that I wanted to grab.
Turns those heaps were its sleeping younglings, and I had just murdered their mommy.

:(

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

https://i.imgur.com/AM215bC.mp4

Sir you are dead. How are you doing that

Uh...are those even supposed to be down there?
And that gentleshark looks rather contracted, as well.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

uXs posted:

Yeah the sonar from the original is sorely missing.

I think the Seatruck is amazing and way, way better than the Seamoth or Cyclops.

It fixes the biggest issue I had with the Cyclops, where you had to choose between taking a Seamoth or a Prawn with you. Take the Seamoth and you can't go deep enough or dig the ore piles, and take the Prawn and it will take you ages to get back to base. The Seatruck can just haul the Prawn and when you need to quickly go somewhere you can dump the modules for a quick second and zoom off to wherever you want to be.

That said, it could use some improvement: the storage module is too small, as is the storage in the fabricator module. The sleep and aquarium modules are pretty useless (the game sorely needs fish breeding in normal aquariums), and the teleporter is too expensive and would require 2-way teleporting to be actually useful.

A sonar module would've been awesome, but probably overpowered.

I did and do love the Cyclops, but the Seatruck is just better because it's a (slightly smaller) Cyclops and Seamoth in 1.

(And why didn't they make a farming module?)

Uh...the what now?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I laughed out loud when I found the headlamp and learned that it replaces your rebreather.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

nekoxid posted:

Uhh... I think I found an unfinished area?

I found a bunch of empty caves under one of the Kelp Forest while looking for nests and fragments. No fishes, no foliage, no resources, nothing.
(The coordinates are: 78.3, -138.1, -63.7)

That might also be the same (and only) bug I experienced in BZ, where parts of biomes (I assume in a similar chunk mechanic like in minecraft?) just loaded nothing outside of terrain and placed structures (but no support columns and such) until I saved and reloaded

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah I’m looking for the next survival builder drug. I’m either going with Medieval Dynasty or The Raft. MD is out of early access, while Raft is not, so maybe I’ll go with MD. Anybody played those two?

Try Valheim, it's a retro-ish survival game with rpg elements and a whole lot of housey-buildey-feely-comfy options and it's really scratching my itch at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

Subnautica is easily in my top 3 games of all time and I finally picked up Below Zero. It's pretty good so far, but what I really want now is for the buildings and QOL improvements to be back ported to Subnautica. Large rooms and glass ceilings in particular

Also the jukebox and placable speakers, please.

That added so much atmosphere to my base.