Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Was playing this through on PS4 after playing it before on PC and the game crashed while manually saving. It dumped about 8-12 hours worth of autosaves and reverted the game back to when I had last rebooted the PS4 over a week ago. Seems like I'm not the only one having this issue on PS4, any word on a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Trip report from another 4 hours on the PS4 version:
Clipped oob in the Aurora and had to drown myself to get back inbounds
Drove a seamoth into a mushroom tree that spawned in inside my seamoth. This caused the interface of the game to flip out until the icon for my scanner was taking up 1/4 of my screen and then the game crashed.
The red moon vanished and I'm not sure how long it's been missing. I can see it from underwater but if your in air it's invisible.

I did have one other hard crash but I'm saving much more often now as the autosaves are useless and only lost like 30 minutes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I had no serious issues I remember on the PC version but after being reminded this exists by the EA release of Below Zero I wanted to run through it again and thought I may as well do it on my TV which appears to have been a mistake as the PS4 version seems to be a hot mess. Still a great game and a ton of fun, just disappointing how unstable it is.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

..btt posted:

I'm not saying there aren't bugs - there clearly are, but I've put about 70 hours into this game since early access, completing it three times, and the only bug I ever experienced was clipping thorough a certain part of the aurora once. I was able to swim right back in though, it wasn't what I'd call game breaking.

Reading some of the posts here it sounds like the whole thing falls apart every 5 minutes, but I think that's only for a small percentage of players. Save often just in case and you should be fine.

I had very few problems on the PC, just popped oob once or twice and of course the pop-in. The PS4 version was another matter. In the course of a single play through I had my save corrupt 3 times, once so badly I restarted the game, clipped out of bounds half a dozen times, got the sea moth stuck in geometry all over the place and the pop-in is REALLY bad. You could sit forever in some areas and just stare right through the floor into caves.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Below Zero seems pretty cool, the zones that are more 'done' are really fun to explore and the ones that are barely there look very promising. Also the music is absolutely stellar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GpZCEaXjA

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ZearothK posted:

Just chimming in to say I've finished Subnautica. Amazing game, agree with the general sentiment that the final biomes are annoying and I wish I could have used the Seamoth for everything, but I still enjoyed the very final segments. Cyclops was cool, but kind of unnecessary beyond being a mobile base and driving the Prawn around.

How is Below Zero shaping up? Did they give a date for its eventual release out of Early Access?

Seems good so far, they're doing an update about once a month which fleshes out a new biome and adds new creatures and equipment/vehicles. If they keep up the pace for the planned year it seems like there will be a ton of stuff. The story seems interesting as well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The giant cave in the reefs with the degasi base and a bunch of crabsquids always creeps me the gently caress out.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Like half of Subnautica's map is wasteland patrolled by Reapers that you will never go into and has nothing interesting or valuable to find or see. A smaller, well designed map would be great.

enraged_camel posted:

I'm willing to let go of my desire for a massive map, in return for randomized map generation.

Otherwise it will be just like the first game, where the joy of exploration and discovery goes away after a single playthrough.

A procedurally generated map would be the single worst thing they could add.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm extremely excited for below zero to come out so that the soundtrack will get added to spotify and I can listen to it all the time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tenzarin posted:

I didn't play the game until it was out and finished for along time and then I bought it on a steam sale. There was never any bugs for me ever.

I had very few issues with the PC version. The PS4 version had really horrible time wasting and game breaking bugs almost every play session including save corruption.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hwurmp posted:

:ssh: the Cyclops shield will instantly dislodge lava larvae

This should be in every time capsule.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The deep lava zone should've been boiling hot.

Also I would love some freaky combination of Subnautica and Oxygen Not Included, exploring an asteroid or planetoid in space.

Outer Wilds

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think the new story continues off what you did with the robot, just less 'I've been infected with an alien AI but I don't ask my sister in space for help because ??????'

Last time I went down to meet him in the daily version you couldn't do the thing you could in the old story, I assume you can now though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I also find a lot of below zero areas have really horrific frame rates, I've given up on it until they start polishing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Outer Wilds is quite good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Okan170 posted:

I've had Outer Wilds gifted to me and I'm very curious, but whenever I read about it the idea of resetting every 20 minutes it just fills me with anxiety. Subnautica taps into the chill take-your-time vibe that it seems isn't present in Outer Wilds?

The solar system is a big clock that you're exploring and things are different at different times. You'll probably kill yourself intentionally to explore a different place or time than you will hit the timeout. The only time the timer matters is once you figure out what is happening and have to actually do all the things in a single reset, and that's basically a victory lap as opposed to being stressful.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
A lot of it comes down to what you play on. Pc I had some minor bugs and crashes, the playstation version was almost unplayable for me with how severe and frequent the bugs were.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

LionArcher posted:

any news on when below zero will be on PS4 PS5?

If it's anything like subnautica on PS4 I wouldn't bother.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Recent is an odd choice to use when the save corruption bug was present when I played on PS4 like a year ago.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Suburban Dad posted:

So far I've been playing without really doing anything combat related and running away when attacked basically. I built the stasis gun but have never fired it, and didn't do the upgrade to the propulsion one yet. Is there much point in trying to kill poo poo or is the goal really only to defend yourself enough to get away?

Inventory is too small so I'm freeing up space so I can hoard more poo poo during runs more so than avoiding it.

Just escape, never a point to killing something.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

redreader posted:

I'm playing below zero, I finished the original subnautica and I have a question after playing for an evening: should I have my fabricator tool by now? I have a seatruck, respirator, o2 tank and fins and seaglide, I've scanned the prawn in the lady's base and all of her rooms. I have the moonpool/observation room/large room/window/etc but no actual tool to build a base with! I also have the land vehicle schematic. I've got the schematics for a repair tool and laser cutter but no need for either yet, maybe the repair tool for my seatruck. It just sucks that I can't build a base yet. Did I miss something or is it a later-in-the-game tool?

There's a few scattered around. It used to be on that surface raft thing in twisty bridges that has the shark cage and the electrical cable but they took it out. most alterra bases have one and there's at least one underwater on the alterra supply platform things.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If you're carrying a beacon when you die the beacon will activate to lead you back to your stuff.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I like BZ's depth. Most zones seem to have an ocean area, then a deeper cave area that is different and more dangerous. find a crevasse in Twisty Bridges and finding the Deep Twisty is really tense and exciting. Same for the area under lillypads. The surface areas blow chunks. Walking sucks, heat sucks, the worms are terrible.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I got all my magnetite in crystal caves but it's kind of a pita to find and the shadow leviathan loves blowing up your prawn suit if you leave it behind so watch out.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's extremely well done, it should be on by default.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

They're the only critter in either game to just make me go all :| and just 'ok, fine. yeah. got me again. ok. even though I'm using the snowfox jump. ok. well. used another first aid. whatever. can't leave yet. fun. woo.' rather than...excitement, or fear, or fascination, or...anything. They aren't even really a creature, they're a special effect, you can't interact with them, can't run from them, and, at least, on the build I used, couldn't even use the thumpers to effectively distract them. They suck, and I can't say that about anything else in either game, even warpers, as frustrating as they could be, you had an emotional response to them, beyond resigned acceptance.

I haven't gone to the worm area in a couple versions but last time I did it I just walked instead of using the fox and it was fine. Brought like half an inventory of medpacs and just walked around ignoring them. Certainly not fun, but a less frustrating experience.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

There are actually very few bugs in the game now

I'm having a mostly fun bug with the new large room base pieces where normal fish are able to float through my base at will. I've always had the bug where the decal fish float through but this is the real, interactable fish so I can be crafting something, spin around to snatch a peeper or three out of the air and go back to crafting. It was less fun when a brute shark got halfway in and started eating me but that's only happened the once.

e: I've also twice been able to use the booster air tank to superman fly inside my base when it's not flooded which on the scale of Subnautica bugs falls firmly into the fun camp.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The cyclops could have done with being a bit smaller. The seatruck is horrible and not fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Below zero really lacks open spaces, especially deep water open spaces. The iceberg area is probably my favorite area to explore, but no area has the deep sea dread that some areas of the first game evoke.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Geodude posted:

I'm waiting to play BZ until it's 1.0. Should I even bother with survival food/drink or not?

I played Subnautica three times now, once with and twice without. As others mentioned, once you automate it, it gets old having to remember and manage that resource. If there's nothing new to it in BZ I'll probably skip it.

There's a plant and planters you can get 5 minutes into the game that produces like 10 fruits per harvest that each give like 10 food/water and some health, 4 plants per planter means you have infinite food/water/health with no power cost.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you don't fix the Aurora, does anything actually happen?

You need to keep wearing the radiation suit, but I think that's it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Below Zero spoilers make me think that The Thing would be an amazing concept for a survival sandbox, underwater or no.

Return of the Obra Dinn but you gotta figure out who the alien is.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The above-ground stuff on the icerbergs I actually really enjoyed. Finding the right iceberg, exploring them and running into wildlife was fun. They weren't frustrating because you're only on land for like a minute scouting before diving back into the ocean. It also probably helped that it was a really pretty area, especially with glow whales breaching or an aurora.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can attach/remove seatruck modules at will.

Lithium is easy to find in the vents around the island. You could also find it in the area underneath the twisty bridges.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Also, people just take free games they 100% will never play. I own games I don't even know about, I still have no idea what games I got from that covid relief bundle last year.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Making modules slow you down is a mistake.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The cyclops wouldn't fit.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Soundtrack is out on spotify and kinda rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MMDg0moXc

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Khanstant posted:

Today I figured out power cells are not better batteries and now i done turned all my batteries into something I can't use yet oops

You will soon get an item that lets you deconstruct things into their component parts so hang onto them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The storage modules would be fine if they didn't slow you down if you felt like using 3 of them.