Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Efexeye posted:

I would really love to see Subnautica become THE killer VR app because it's a lot of fun just with a mouse and keyboard and it's so much more fleshed out than the mostly glorified tech demos that are available now for VR.

:stare:

:stonk:

This is the one goddamn game that sets off my thalassophobia while playing mouse and keyboard, VT subnautica might kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xanderkish posted:

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or concerned that you end up playing a game that is entirely about your phobia.

Also fun fact: Apparently bing searching a phobia brings up pictures of the phobic object. That seems ill-advised.

It's only really, really deep water and implausibly scary things living in it that worry me.

(MOOOOOOOOOO)

More seriously I am trying to work through it, not least because I want to go scuba diving someday.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 28, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

MrDorf posted:

My anxiety levels while playing this game are directly related to the number of Reapers I see per play period. Sometimes it's chill as gently caress and relaxing...other times I have a desperate need to find an open field with a few hundreds of yards of visibility to sit in for awhile.

The first time I loaded up the game the distant moos in and of themselves made me go all :gonk:. Then I ran into whatever trivial assholes inhabit the safe shallows and turned it off and did things outside.

I'm getting better. :geno:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unkempt posted:

- Breed stalkers in tank
- Drop two bits of scrap metal on the sea floor
- Drop two stalkers on the scrap metal.

They fight each other and there are teeth everywhere.

Pretty sure that's illegal in most states.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I like this one, and just ignore all the pointless info on the right side of it

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/7/7e/595137118_preview_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161126033628

never tried it myself, but what people recommend is clearing your cache via this guide
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818789065

then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\Saved Games\

Find which slotXXXX folder has your saved game data and then go into your CellsCache folder and delete everything in it.

Just want to say, I still love your avatar and text. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I felt the exact same way. I've never been anywhere near an ocean but I had no fear of it at all. I was honestly surprised to read the thread and hear that people found the game frightening. I got a couple of jump scares from Reapers, but other than that I found the game pretty relaxing.

I have serious thalassophobia when it comes to "underwater where you can't see the bottom"

I'm trying once more to power through Subnautica - vastly more profligate outpost building is helping so far, as is successfully discovering the joys of the Seamoth rather than taking so long to unlock it that I eventually went and did something else.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out the trick to managing my terror of the ocean / Subnautica was as simple as

- have Seamoth
- lights are more important than anything
- increase the FOV setting

Which isn't to say I haven't had tense moments (and I don't really like descending cliffs or operating at night) but it's handleable.

Also jellyrays are my buddies. :3: I was worried they might be predators at first.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 30, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Currently I'm starting to explore the fairly-deep surface areas (and the upper mushroom caves). My Seamoth is still restricted to 300m, but I'm willing to dive a ways below it and also it can readily carry my tiny-base-setup loadout plus a bit in its storage locker.

As a result of the base thing I'm in a bit of a titanium shortage of all things, but there's a bunch of debris I haven't bothered to harvest so it's more a matter of spending the time to fetch it than an actual crunch.

edit: scariest moments so far were

- dunno if this is typical but there's a stupid sandshark living in the caves more-or-less-below my western, primary base (shallow bit off to the west, surrounded by red sands and kelp, a short jaunt from the mushroom forest) that makes them more or less untraverseable, running into him the first time was fun
- my actual intentional excursion to the Aurora was uneventful despite the warnings, but I accidentally wandered into that area without noticing while exploring after hitting up a lifepod and while I was playing tag with another sandshark around a scannable bit of wreckage a big scary tentacle dude came looming out of left field, but fortunately didn't decide I was edible in the time it took for me to board my seamoth and mash the "run away and upward while screaming" buttons

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 1, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i feel like the huge lightning eels are pretty docile for predators - sandsharks and the bigger bony open-water sharks are highly aggressive, but i've cruised (carefully) past the eels at fairly close range for wreck reasons and they grumbled but didn't pursue

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

update: the ultra-deep trench with bloodvines isn't

actually that scary to me

i got walls to cling to, and i won't get lost trying to escape, I just go UP

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

trying not to read the thread so I can retain as much blindness as feasible

Update:

- Warpers kinda suck but they're frankly pretty easy to ignore.
- I keep forgetting my perimeter defense exists, a shark roars and bumps my seamoth and I immediately go into panic-evasion mode instead of clicking LMB and going on my way. :saddowns:
- I still have no idea where magnetite is but I've got a pretty good stock of rubies and uranium from some fairly basic bloodvine chasm excursions. I should probably go exploring elsewhere because it's getting increasingly inconvenient to have my seamoth stuck at 300m.
- Found the blueprint for interior growbeds. All hail the bulbo tree.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Found magnetite in the mushroom caves. :toot: They actually seem pretty safe to poke around in - as horrifying as it is to be chewed on by the pink mushroom worms - mushworms? - they don't seem to keep pursuing for more bites, at least not in the time it takes me to get back in my seamoth.

I can now go 900m down. :stare: That takes me to the lowest point of the bloodvine trench I've found so far with a couple hundred meters to spare. also warpers become more annoying when there are two in the area

There's a hole in the bottom of the trench that my advisor says has a new biome. :ohdear: The Warper Incident while I was trying to rename the beacon at the cave entrance (because I couldn't dodge or flee, you see) nearly killed me, although a death there would have been only mildly annoying - I'd pulled like one ruby and I sensibly built a campsite at the top of the trench.

I should probably consider going back and getting enough magnetite to finish my stasis rifle, so I can tell the little shits to go gently caress themselves (and anything I find in this new place).

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 3, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

okay yeah the fossil caves are actually SUPER COOL and very well lit so I'm not horrified atm

running out of depth capacity on my seamoth though

need to find the fragments for the last cyclops component I guess :mad:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ghostrays are also my buddies :3: This is a very relaxing biome for being, you know, just about a kilometer down. The big scary assholes are visible from a jillion miles away so like the Giga-Eels I can just steer around them.

Hwurmp posted:

Do you have the Prawn Suit blueprints too?

actually yes and I've FINALLY found the goddamn active ingredient for aerogel down here. I also have... drill, grappling, and torpedo arm? And mk1 and mk2 depth upgrades

edit: lol I forgot before setting off on my excursion that I didn't have enough copper for a scanner room :saddowns: oh well at least I brought a beacon

double edit: "ghost leviathan eggs" wut

triple edit: oh, so that's probably a ghost leviathan

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 4, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Aurora has a ton of stuff but you really don't want to have to make more trips than necessary to carry everything out, unless you really want to.

I need to watch more blind playthroughs of the game, wanna see what order people discover things in when left to their own devices.

i would just like to note i hate your avatar

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

wolrah posted:

Exactly. Grabbing this from the Payday 2 thread:

If a game requires coordination between team members to succeed but can easily go wrong due to one person screwing up (intentionally or not), playing with random pubbies is generally a bad idea. Play with friends, or at the least play with an organized group of internet people rather than letting RNGesus put you with whoever.

yeah but where would i find an organized group of internet people with an interest in aquatic exploration games?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

Try it on VR the creatures are ludicrously large.

VR subnautica would literally kill me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i have legit thalassophobia and while subnautica has also legit helped with that, i still can't stand the underwater islands zone

going into the bit where the AI says "this biome meets five of the seven criteria to be a horror movie" was soothing because there are WALLS and GROUND

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GoingPostal posted:

A quick tip that took me many, many deaths to figure out: Make a second air tank and keep it with you. (And be sure to keep it filled, obviously.) But it can save you in a pinch when you need that extra bit of time to get out of where you are.

also make sure to always remember which button is "use item" and which button is "drop item", so that it's all the more painful when you hurl your spare air tank into the lightness depths anyway

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Words can't accurately describe the strong feeling I had when I started my first base and spent the first night in there.

Christ, that was the coziest I'll ever feel in that game, or even in a virtual white tube.

That's the best sensation I get out of any survival game, tbh. Subnautica especially, but also valheim, unreal world, even minecraft. I feel like there's a perfect game tickling at the edges of my brain - Oxygen Not Included meets Subnautica meets URW or something in that vein. URW has much fewer monsters most of the time than Subnautica, but there's still a nice soothing "oh hey I'm back in my homestead, time to unload this pack of furs and warm up" sensation.

someday someone will invent the perfect pillow fort survival-exploration game and i will play it forever