Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

This game is really addictive. I've set up a base right next to the spiky mountain islands close to the Aurora. Plenty of room for farming and lots of rare metals and other resources. I stumbled upon lots of Cyclops and Moonpool fragments on the outskirts of the Mushroom forest. I've built the Moonpool but I'm holding out on the Cyclops a bit more, so much time has been spent building the new base I feel like I still haven't explored properly.

If you upgrade the Seamoth with the defensive system, does it function in a radius around the Seamoth so you can park it and keep an area safe? There's a wreckage where I need to cut open a door but it's guarded by two Stalkers.

Also, I've been to afraid to try, does depth do damage to yourself? I have the depth upgrade for the Seamoth, if I dive to 300 m and get out will I get squished by the pressure? I got out for a short wile at around 200 m once and the depth indicator was red but it didn't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Alright, thanks. I'll start exploring deep caves then, using the Seamoth as a mobile base.

Away all Goats posted:

You won't take damage from depth, only your vehicles do. However keep in mind that if you dive below 200 meters without a rebreather you will consume oxygen quicker.

Ah, so that's what the rebreather is for. The description is a bit unclear.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Huh, Subnautica is in the Silver category measured by largest gross revenue on Steam. Along with Watch dogs 2, Deus Ex: MD and Civ V.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers/?snr=1_41_4__42

Really hope they haven't painted themselves into a corner with the performance issues. And also that they stop listening to their fan base (at the official forums, I mean).

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I really like hand-crafted worlds and rarely replay games more than once or twice, so the static setting doesn't bug me at all really.

As for the Cyclops, I haven't played with it yet so I'll reserve judgement, but it at least sounds alright to me. What is tedium and what is fun gameplay isn't clear cut.

Also, people seem to treat any changes as final patches when the game is actually in Greenlight. Maybe the general player base really are crazy and leading the devs down a bad road. But making far reaching changes and tweaking them later is pretty par for the course in development. It's fine to think the cyclops being destructible is a bad choice, that's probably not going to change until release, but how much hp it has, how aggressive wild life is and what animals are aggressive to it may very well change.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I reinstalled this again now, played it over a year ago before some major updates, never built the Cyclops etc. The alien stuff is pretty drat cool.

Haven't experienced any glitches so far, but then again I haven't built any vehicles yet. The radio messages are a good way to direct you but technical progression feels a bit weird. Like I've found the bioreactor but not the blueprint for the seaglide, I have all the parts for the seamoth and the blueprint but can't construct it.

I can build the scanner room, I think that can scan for wrecks as well? Does it only work in the zone you build it or is it a radius like the description says?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Martian posted:

The seaglide parts are scattered all over and around the shallows, i probably found like 20 parts by now.

It's also at the first lifepod you get a signal from.

I got the fragment at the first lifepod but after that I've had no luck. I guess I have to scour the shallows more extensively. I thought it was weird because the shallows are not very big and I keep running into seamoth and scanner room fragments just outside.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Ok I'm an idiot. I looked at a couple of empty or closed cargo boxes and decided they were just props. After building the scanner room I realized most of them contain fragments. :doh: Got the seaglide and the seamoth and a bunch of tools now. Now I'm setting up a proper base before exploring more of the Aurora and going deeper. So hard to put this down! Gameplay is just a continuous flow, there's always something do to.

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm not sure sure how to proceed at the moment, though. I guess I'm in the middle part of the game, but I've reached a point where the resources I need (magnetite, diamond, gel sack, ruby) are in areas that are too deep or too dangerous for me to to farm with just the Seamoth, even with the first depth upgrade. Also I'm not sure which vehicle I should be aiming for next, the Cyclops or the Prawn Suit?

I've found all of those except magnetite using the seamoth. Keep looking or build a few scanner rooms I guess.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I like the ebb and flow (heh) of this game. You'll be swimming/driving along, feeling like your going in circles, not finding any new fragments or resources. Then all of a sudden you find a cliff face with a wreck and lots of new stuff. Finally found the last moonpool fragment, so now I can get to upgrading the depth of the Seamoth. Also giving it a rad name.

Also, Reaper Leviathans still scare the poo poo out of me. I saw one off in the distance near a wreck but since it was far off I decided to scan some stuff. Suddenly, without any warning one takes a bite out of me for 75 HP or so. It is terrifying when you're running away from because you want to look back and see if it's following you, but you can't since that will slow you down.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 30, 2018

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah. Do resources get randomized on load up?

No, but it seems you have to get far away areas to load by visiting them, in order for the scanner room to be able to pick up their resources.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've died from cave diving as well. Didn't bother to build that bread crumb machine or the inflatable buoy. You really do panic when you hit that second dead end and realise you don't remember which way you came. Suffocating/drowning is probably my biggest fear. :(

Thanks to people pointing out where to find Prawn fragments. I had been looking forever and built every other vehicle, now I can finally start drilling!

Just a heads up, accessing the upgrades for the Prawn in the moonpool is bugged. But it works outside and I'm the Cyclops.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dienes posted:

I went into the game pretty blind. After exploring the Gun Island I swam out and saw my first warper. I got excited and thought that maybe it was a precursor and it turned out, no, that wasn't the case, now you will drown.

Also, is the achievement for finding the Degassi base in the Deep Grand Reef bugged? I found it last night and snagged all the abandoned data pads (at least I think I did, I was being mobbed by crabsquids at the time) but no achievement.

Did you pick up the PDA in the top section of the base, with a separate entrance? I missed that one the first time around because I couldn't find a ladder inside.

Ixjuvin posted:

So I built my Cyclops recently and am in the process of packing up to move Deeper. Problem is, it seems like the Cyclops just starts drifting around sometimes while I'm inside of it, so my character has to pop back up through the floor and sometimes falls through it. Is there a specific thing that causes this? I feel like it might be some bit of furniture; I've built a bunch of lockers and stuff inside of the Cyclops, as you do, and am not entirely thrilled at the prospect of deconstructing everything piece by piece to find one offending object.

I think I have the same, or a similar, bug. If I stand still for too long, I notice it's drifting. Then I will clip through the floor and immediately spawn a few metres above the Cyclops, begin falling, land on its roof and take a load of damage, continue falling for a couple of metres below the sub where I will "dive" into an invisible water surface. After that I can swim back up and re-enter it.

I think I've consistently fixed it by turning the engines off before stepping away from the helm. My guess is the Cyclops retains a little bit of inertia, just like the Seamoth does when you exit that, and the physics engine can't cope with the player walking on a surface that is moving.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fano posted:

Tips for finding the inactive lava zone? I've got a base some 300 meters down near the entrance to the lost river (I think), I've scouted what I consider to be quite a large portion of the map with my seamoth and found nothing resembling an entrance to an area deeper than the disease research facility.

I'm walked around in the prawn a bunch near that same area but was having a hard time making any progress since I still don't have a solid grasp of how to use the grappling arm to move more efficiently, not to mention I was walking around and jumped off the edge of map (according to my data bank) and had to reload since I couldn't climb the steep edge with the prawn suit and I didn't want to lose it.

In the Lost River, have you found the big tree? it's in an intersection before getting to the disease research facility. It has ghost rays and leviathan eggs in amongst its roots. Beyond and below that is the ILZ.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

nullEntityRNG posted:

Edit: actually as I do the math 76 million makes no sense. The game only sold what, 5 million copies? I might have to double check the data

Uh, wouldn't 5 million be a huge success for a Kickstarted indie game? Steamspy says 2 million.

After a short hiatus I finished this today, great game.The last two achievements didn't trigger. :( Otherwise the only bugs I encountered were glitching through floosr a couple of times. I think I'll reload my save and build my base bigger, maybe colonize the Lost River.

Is it impossible to scan the Dragon Leviathan and Emperor Leviathan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Regarding The Cyclops in the expansion, it is shown in the last concept art, which makes me think it will be included.

Don't feel an urge to play more Subnautica right now, but I'm interested in the expansion. At first I thought travelling above the ice sounded lame, but the more I think about it we're not exactly spoiled with survival games in arctic environments.