Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got this game last week and finally finished it. I got stuck for a little bit because I never visited the Sunbeam landing site before the ship got shot down; turns out that deletes the marker so I ended up farting around to the point I built a Cyclops before I realized the mountain island was a thing.

Had a lot of fun while at it, though. I have a Rift so I played the game through entirely in VR; aside from a few niggles (awkward keypad/Cyclops touchscreen, not being able to rename beacons) it was ridiculously immersive. It took me half the first in-game day to psych myself up to actually jump into the sea; by the third day I was punting sharks clear across the reef with the prop cannon.

My time capsule has a view of the sunrise from my rocket pad, one of those adorable kitten posters, and the Prawn grappling and drill arms, thermal reactor module and jump jet booster. Would've put the cuddlefish egg in there but it didn't let me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I found one with a seaglide in it. Thought it was a cute idea, but I found it near Keen's pod. Something like 300 meters down.

Oh, and I put an ion cell in mine, too, because gently caress that one selfentitled nerd bitching about them. By the time you can make them you're pretty much done with the game anyhow.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah I wish Ion Cells/Batteries came a little bit earlier. Maybe in the Lost River base instead of the lava one.

The actual models have a little radiation trifoil on the side. I have a suspicion that they were originally meant to be nuclear power cells, but were replaced with ion cells for plot purposes.

It'd actually be an interesting balance choice if they were nuclear cells and not rechargeable ion cells. High power capacity, but once it's dry it's done. Plus uraninite is accessible early enough for the choice to matter.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
+1 for Empyrion. It's a great survival game - it's got a surprising amoutn of content for an early-access game, and it gets updated decently often.

I used to love Space Engineers and I still love building and designing ships in it, but Empyrion has a lot more, well, game. There's a whole solar system's worth of planets, with multiple starter planets with various challenges. Each planet has different biomes and resources available to it, and different enemies (to a degree, they could really do with a little more variety when it comes to alien critters). More importantly, each planet also has so much stuff to explore - the planet maps aren't very big (though the next upcoming patch is making them bigger) but there's always a crashed ship to explore and loot, alien bases to raid, a local village you can trade for food in.. some planets have things like patrolling capital ships and drone bases that release attack drones to try and wreck your bases. It's a lot of fun, especially with a group of friends.

Edit: The top negative Steam reviews on the game are also people with 1500+ hours in Empyrion, bitching about how the devs aren't implementing 'vitally realistic' features like aerodynamics, thruster alignment, etc etc etc. Basically for a survival game, it's casual enough to not need to become a whole new job for you and the grogs are hating it.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 3, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Empyrion also has a fairly decent system for creating custom scenarios. In theory you could recreate Subnautica in the Empyrion engine, with all of the hand placed pod wrecks and PDA dialogs and stuff. There are only a half dozen decent ones available right now, but I expect more as the game gains more features.

Yeah, and the current engine for water doesn't really model fluid dynamics at all. There's no way to 'pump dry' an underwater grid - hell, if you mine away at the seashore, you end up with a lake-shaped chunk of water floating midair.

Still, it's definitely a game worth looking at!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

This sounds like a question from one of those "serious answers to silly questions" books: would it be theoretically possible to have a planet where the atmospheric pressure was higher than the surface tension of a liquid or whatever, so if you removed the container around that liquid, it would hold its shape?

Way way late but I was thinking about this (in the shower, go figure) and realized - if you had an atmosphere with that much density/pressure, the water would be a bubble trying to get to the surface. Basically at that point whatever the atmosphere was made of would be like the brine from the Lost River, a denser-than-water liquid.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I have it installed on a SSD and my experience was basically bug free until I got a Prawn and a Cyclops. The prawn fell through the seafloor once in the Lost River (thank God for jump jet upgrades and the grappling hook) and every now then docking a Prawn or Seamoth to the Cyclops would launch the Cyclops 10-20 meters up and leave me swimming under it. Once that ended up with falling to the seafloor and running around cursing until the game went 'Oh, you're supposed to be swimming, sploosh'.

I had a few moments with noticeable pop-in, too, but all together it was completely playable for me. Just remember to save often.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
If you have a prawn drill arm, you can find literally all the materials you'll ever need down there except for kelp and tube coral - there's even table coral growing in spots around the thermal vents. Just bring a couple of strangleweed seed pods for a planter and you're set.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
There's straight up deposits of everything down there, aside from kyanite (which you can find deeper down). Most of it is just those large deposits you need a prawn drill for. More so because most of said deposits are submerged in that green acidic brine goo, ie, anything not a Prawn will melt in there.

Also some of the local neighbors are considerably more manageable after you punch them in the face a couple of times.

(The Prawn really does you make feel invincible, I went from eek that looks big and mean to I will punch you in the goddamned face so help me in the time it took me to slap an armor upgrade on that thing..)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I was most excited about the copper, because I don't know if it is anywhere else.

You can find those bigass deposits of various types scattered across the enviroment. Can't remember seeing copper specifically anywhere, but I mostly started really paying attention to them when I found the Prawn.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I've seen it pop up in the sensor room every now and then, so I'm pretty sure it's out there in the wild. Just, you know, hiding in the enviroment. One rock looks pretty much like another rock unless you know to look for a specific funky shape.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Space Engineers lets you do that, too.

When you start out, you have a dinky little hand drill for mining ores. Ores that you chuck into a single refinery.

From there, one of the first things you'll probably build is a cute little ship that's got a drill or two, to streamline your production. You've also got a docking platform that will automatically transfer the ore from your ship to be processed.

The next step, your mining ship will probably have a lot of drills, to be able to bore right through an asteroid to get at the precious ores. Your refinery block now has multiple refineries and assemblers to share the load.

And finally, you end up building this gigantic monstrosity that's all drills on one end, chewing through whole asteroids in one go. Your refinery blokc has several refineries and a sorting system so all your materials get processed at the same time, possibly incorporated into the mining ship itself.

It's just a shame that Space Engineers isn't, well, much of a game beyond building stuff. Your gameplay loop consists solely of finding resources to build stuff in order to access more resources and build bigger stuff.

Meanwhile in Subnautica, the focus of the game is on exploration and discovery. Building your cute little base is more of an afterthought on the side and if you're not interested in giant fancy complexes you can get pretty far with just a hobo tube and a sensor room.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

gently caress this sounds good as hell to me

One of the default pre-made mining ships. Two drill attachemnts, a little bit of cargo capacity, probably has a docking collar on the rear end to transfer materials to a larger refinery unit.

My 'Penetrator' miner. Twelve drills arranged in a ring arrangement designed to make a hole big enough to let the whole ship pass through it. Multiple cargo pods and reinforced hull. Refinery mothership docked to the asteroid in the background.

Pictured: My 'Dvergr' heavy miner, and the hole it blew into that asteroid on its maiden voyage. Shitlot of drills, two built-in refinery modules, it's basically like a Cyclops that can make its own caves. It lost a couple of drills to physics jitter but hey, it's the mark-one, what did you expect?

Edit:

Penetrator, business end.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 12, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

If you want something closer to Subnautica (in terms of a survival game) in addition to custom nutty drilling machines you should check out Empyrion: Galactic Survival! :v:

I love Empyrion. It's more of a survival game than Space Engineers is, and more structured as a game - first priority is simple survival on a hostile planet with limited resources, followed by base building, building a little scout ship to find materials on the moon, use said materials to build a FTL ship, start exploring the star system for more rare materials, build bigger stuff, explore alien ruins, punch chainsaw wildlife in the face.. it's a lot of fun. In my opinion if Empyrion had Space Engineers' ship-building engine (I like welding things together, plus the whole conveyor pipe network adds an interesting dimension to ship designs), it'd be a perfect scifi survival game.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I played it on my Rift and it is awesome. Though you have to mess around with the settings a little - enable gaze cursor and show mouse widget - to make the menus useable. And the UI won't let you rename beacons. Otherwise a great VR experience.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I was stuck for a good while because one of the signals pointing to a plot location deleted itself because I didn't get there fast enough.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

The ghost Leviathan in the lost river is a juvenile? I must...process this. He is very large already, and is but a baby. I don't want to see a full grown one. Also why do the big fishes roar underwater? That bothers me. Not in a scientific sense but just on the sheer terror scale.

That was pretty much my reaction, too, ducking and weaving around him to scan him and then.. "That's a JUVENILE?!" :stonk:

Also the Reaper scan entry says the rhythmic roars basically function like echolocation. If you can hear him, he knows exactly where you are.

Edit: Try to not sound delicious.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I actually saw a Reaper exactly once in my playthrough. I'd just built my cyclops and was trying to explore, I'm not sure exactly where I was going but all of a sudden I saw this huge serpentine form in the distance. I brought my Cyclops to a halt and it kind of.. twisted around, looked at me for a moment, I looked at it, then it gave a sort of a 'carry on' motion and swum off.

I did a 180.

Meanwhile, the Baby Ghost Satan had to be persuaded to leave my Prawn alone via application of fist to the face. He swooped at me, I grappled to his neck and beat him in the face for a bit, we agreed to leave each other in peace from then on.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That was me on my first day out.

"Hokay it's getting dark but maybe I can hang around right next to the pod and collect-"

bhwoooooooommmmmrrrrrrr

"Nope, gently caress that, back to the pod"

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I remember being scared of the reefbacks, then going "maaaaybe I should scan one," then going "what the gently caress a reefback is stuck on the geometry of my base AGAIN and tooting its drat foghorn all the time just go AWAY you big piece of barnacle crap"

I built a base in one of the red grass zones and the constant reefback calls had enough bass in them, they were making stuff on my desk vibrate.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
To clarify, you absolutely can get by without building a base ever, but you're needlessly hamstringing yourself. Just a hobo tube with a couple of lockers makes things a lot easier and unless you somehow beeline to the Cyclops, you're going to have a hard time making progress without at least a moon pool, vehicle modification station, and an upgrade station. Not to mention having a scanner room making resource collecting and fragment searching so much easier.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

No you can't complete the game without building a base, you need to build at least a moonpool at some point. The Prawn Suit Depth Module MK1 can only be crafted in the vehicle modification station, and that requires a moonpool, Cyclopes not allowed. You can make the Mk2 and Mk3 depth modules in the normal Modification Station (which you can put in the Cyclopes) but not the first one.

You also can't beat the game without the Prawn Suit, you need the prawn suit depth upgrades to mine Kyanite for MK3 depth modules to get the Cyclopes into the final story areas.

The Cyclops MKI and MKII depth modules don't actually require kyanite. You could theoretically build a Cyclops, plonk an upgrade station on it, and basically use your Cyclops as a giant Seamoth - skip the prawn suit entirely and just pop out to grab some of the few handpickable chunks of kyanite at the lava castle.

It'd be a completely dumbass and arbitrarily difficult way of playing the game, but you could do it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Section Z posted:

Depends on how many spare ion cubes (and scrounged up freebie purple tablets to save on crafting) you have so you are allowed to make the second blue tablet, then Ion cells for the escape rocket. Since no drill means no drilling up the ion node in the lava castle, or the "3 cubes, every 4 minutes" infinite supply in the containment facility.

Swimming down there because of an absurd pipeline is probably the smaller logistical headache compared to "Aw poo poo, I forgot enough space crystals to get at more space places". Though obviously the more boring and drawn out one.

Gaining the Ion recipies is the easy part because that's just slamming a purple tablet into a console and pushing a button inside the room. It's making sure you have all the exotic materials you need, plus 1 if you want to portal back to mountain island to a pre-made base, that's probably a bigger stumble point if you take for granted how many extra ions you get via drill.

That's a good point, I forgot about the mineable ion deposit.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

So I went wandering down into the lost river and came across a big ol' box structure that seems to have broken free from it's moorings. I found some warper bits to scan inside. I then found a giant castle-like structure that had a fuckin Stargate to the giant gun which is super useful because I'm doing all this exploring with my prawn and was very low on food and water. I then kept going down and found a large fish with hands that shoots fireballs and that was alright. He was guarding a place that requires a blue tablet instead of one of the 5 purple ones I'm carrying. Which is bullshit. Also what's this about ion blueprints in the thermal place? I was in there I think (inside the lava castle?) And didn't see any blueprints.

Edit: also how do the portals work? I've found them in other places but the thermal one is the only one that's turned on and taken me anywhere. And it just seems to take me to gun island.

Each gate has a specific counterpart it goes to, you can't 'dial in' a different gate than the one it's configured to go to. Most gates are inactive until you power them up - you do this by inserting an ion cube into the square pedestal in front of the gate. If an inactive gate doesn't have a pedestal, it can only be found by finding its counterpart and activating that one. This is designed to make backtracking to certain areas easier while still making you actually explore.

Edit: Once you've activated a gate pair with an ion cube, you can obviously travel either way through the gates, they're always two-way.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Section Z posted:

My laundry list of insane bugs old and new came alongside learning a lot about all the cool working parts of the game, yeah. That drill node in the lava castle is a great safety net for when you realize "Oh, I need two purples to access Ion blueprints and the blue tablet, then parts to craft a blue" in the deepest depths of the ocean if you didn't already have that stockpiled.

The trail of brain coral method was incredibly painful and awkward when I gave it a shot and gave up, just from all the sitting around waiting on bubbles before considering inventory space.

But then I never thought to put multiple brain coral in a single planter :downs: so maybe having four of them clustered together works super great?

Pipes may not give air at literally every inch of pipe anymore, but at least they loving STACK now. If only up to 5.

The hit box for actually getting in the bubble seemed super fiddly for me, so I doubt you could actually get air from more than one brain coral at a time. Unless you manage to get a one-two-one-two rhythm going moving between two corals so you con't need to wait the 2-4 seconds between bubble bursts anymore.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Digirat posted:

Will air pipes still work when the chain is so long and far beneath the surface that the ones on the surface aren't loaded anymore?

Or are they just always in memory? I've seen my base be visible from an infinite distance away so it wouldn't surprise me

I think theoretically a pipe of any length will work, but in practice the physics engine isn't designed to handle player constructions over a certain length and you're going to get wonky physics and/or corrupted saves.

Mandrel posted:

is there a way to get stalkers to leave my cameras the gently caress alone and stop dragging them off to the rear end end of nowhere. im just trying to map the region from the safety of my base like a huge coward in peace, gently caress off you toothy dicks

if it means I have to eradicate them with my knife 1v1 I will do that

I've had stalkers swim all the way from the kelp forest to my base down in the glowshroom cave thermal cleft specifically to steam my goddamned camera drones. Good luck.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just learned to zen it out and accept my cameras would be going out for rides every now and then. It was really the most annoying before I figured out how to find magnetite for the HUD chip - I'd use the camera drones to scout an area for fragments, park the camera over the fragment, and then go out to get it, homing in on the camera drone. One time I was going out for a seamoth fragment just in time to see a stalker swim up from the ravine where I'd left the drone with said drone in tow.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What would be the best map of the Lost River? Because I'm trying to find the disease facility and it's a bitch to navigate.

Also how much of the main story requires crossing path with reapers outside of the juveniles?

You know that big glowing tree under a giant fall of brine? Head up the brinefall to the thermal vents. Keep following the left side of the room and you should see a side opening. You know it's the right one if you see those alien light pylons along the path, just follow those.

As for the other question - Reapers in specific are just big predators that patrol certain areas. In my playthrough I only ever saw one and from a distance.

Ghost Leviathans, one lives in the lava tube that leads into the lava zones. If you approach through the Lost River entry, you'll never run into him (although you will have to avoid Big Salty). There are apparently Ghost Leviathans patrolling certain other sites but again, I lucked out and never saw them.

The deep lava zones, however, have a total of three of what the rest of the thread lovingly calls Super Sea Satans patrolling them. They weren't very aggressive towards my Cyclops - they mainly came around to slap me on the rear end after I'd passed them by - but they were pretty eager to come after my Prawn. Before a quick attitude readjustment via repeated application of power fist to the face, anyhow.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
In Soviet Russia..

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I bought this game probably a week after early access launch and since the introduction of warpers up until about a week ago I was under the impression that they could warp you anywhere on the map. The thought of being warped out of my seamoth and then warped to like 1,000 meters down in the dark freaked me the gently caress out. Now I know I can just pretty much ignore them and they're only a minor nuisance.

Apparently at one point not only would warpers blink you out of your prawn/Seamoth, they could also summon predators to play with you. Yanked out of your ride while a confused and angry boneshark is nipping at your heels sounds, well...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Aside from the reapers and a couple other assholish creatures, most hostile creatures you run across in Subnautica really do want you to just get the gently caress off their lawn. Or are hungry. It's not like in Minecraft where once the monster spots you, it's going to follow you until one of you is dead.

Also I just started a new save for shits and giggles and got down in a couple of hours what it took me a whole week on my first run. I'm trying to disable the Quarantine Enforcement Platform before the Sunbeam arrives.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Trying to navigate with the Cyclops into a spot where the equally unwieldy Prawn can do its thing is so miserable compared to having a moonpool and taking the Seamoth out. I'll give it another shot tomorrow but if I still feel the same way I might look into mods that add seamoth depth modules mk4 and 5. Ideally they'd cost the same as the Prawn depth modules and give the same depths--not trying to cheat the economy, just the driving.

The Prawn becomes a lot more maneuverable and fun to use once you find a grappler arm and a jump jet booster. I loved the feeling of being this armored steel god striding over the ocean floor.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Well I have the jump jet blueprint but not the ingredients. Haven't found the grapple arm yet though

Grapple arm: There's a big chunk of wreckage that's sort of caught between the walls of the blood kelp rift, IIRC there were two of almost every arm in that thing. Also a bunch in the wreck in the underwater island zone.
Crystalline sulfur and nickel can be found in the Lost River/bone caves, which can also be conveniently accessed through a cave in the blood kelp rift.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Swing around like underwater Spider-Man. Can you dual-wield grapple arms?

Yes. Yes you can.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

This makes a lot of sense. They could recycle 90% of the content from the original Subnautica with a few added DLC items/monsters and get another scenario that's as long as the base game for a fraction of the effort. I would play a separate scenario, I don't know if I would do another play though if the DLC just added to the base experience with a new zone or whatever.

Like Nintendo did with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask? Clever.

Edit: I failed to save the Sunbeam :sad:

Edit edit: Why the gently caress is this a thing.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 30, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

boar guy posted:

you can't save it

I was told that if you disable the QEP before the Sunbeam arrives, they contact you and tell you that the Aurora left such a huge debris field in orbit, they can't attempt a landing. sort of a wet fart still but hey, they tried?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Really the biggest problem with the lava castle is that while the entryways do have those alien pillars bracing them - alien pillars that light up green when you come close enough, no less - the game struggles to actually render them. I kept circling around the room in my Cyclops, figuring there had to be another exit; and the size of the room meant every time I passed the lava castle, I didn't come in close enough for the game to actually render those pillars. I had to wiki the thing, realize that gently caress, the giant mountain I'd been circling around WAS the lava castle, and then when I dropped in to explore with my prawn the pillars materialized when I was like twenty feet away from them.

Fixing the goddamned popin and view distance would fix like 80% of Subnautica's problems.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So, uh, I took my Prawn into the sea emperor tank and when I got out I found that water no longer exists when I'm outside a vehicle. I just fall to the ground and run around and breathe like I'm on land. This persists even after reloading. Any ways to fix this?

Entering and exiting a habitat is the traditional fix for that. Just plonk down a hobo tube and a hatch.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

My biggest complaint about the story is that it kills off the rest of the crew for the sole purpose of not having to render character models or have them have to interact with custom made bases and stuff. Least it feels that way, that they wrote the story around the limitations of a small indie game, even if the story and writing itself is good.

I don't know, I feel the lack of NPCs empathizes the feeling of being so very alone on this weird alien planet where half the stuff is trying to kill you. You fix up your pod, dodging predators and freaking out at goddamned exploding fish, get your first distress call, and you're generally relieved to hear another human voice. So you paddle out there, again dodging predators, and find the pod sunk and with a giant loving hole in it. You find ruins left by previous castaways, rusted and taken over by scavengers. There's absolutely no hope, nobody but you on this rock.. and then you get the transmission from Sunbeam. Poor gently caress up there sounds like a truck driver way out of his depth, but damnit, he's coming to try and help if it kills him - and it does. I felt my stomach drop out of me the first time I saw them coming down and heard the transmission, right before they turned into a giant fireball.

So yes.They might've been working around some pretty tight limitations, but in this case I feel it works.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This game was amazing in VR when I played it on the vive a couple years ago, but there were too many bugs in the VR mode that prevented me from progressing. Anyone have any idea how things are looking on the VR side of things these days?

For some unknowable reason the UI for renaming your beacons doesn't work in VR and occasionally the neutral position for where you're actually looking tends to drift, but I loved my experience of Subnautica in VR. The limited arc of view even decently emulates the feeling of wearing a diving mask.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I didn't mind any bugs that had work arounds such as the camera drifting and not being able to save (just had to play on hardcore mode where the game saves on exit). But once I got the Cyclops the game started to fall apart. I couldn't dock my seamoth into the Cyclops and also when I was inside the Cyclops the interior textures would become transparent, making walking around the hull impossible. There was some other stuff too, like movement speed while walking inside bases was really slow while in VR for some reason. Sounds like the more game breaking stuff like that is better off now?

I had absolutely none of those issues.

OK, so sometimes docking my Prawn or Seamoth into the Cyclops would launch the Cyclops 20 meters up and leave me sitting in the water where the Cyclops used to be, but as far as I know that's a physics bub and happens without VR, too.