Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was dicking around building a base and I completely forgot to go to the Sunbeam landing site.

Did I miss some major plot points by not going there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I kind of regret starting BZ now that I realize how unfinished the story is.

I was going to come in and ask how to find diamond for the modification station but after reading a few replies I think I'll uninstall and go replay the original instead.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

Everytime in pops up with an update I get soooo tempted to buy it right then, but I'm glad I've managed the self control so far. Subnautica is in my GOAT list but I played it through after it had already been out and officially released for a while, giving it time to improve and polish as more and more people report issues or their experiences with that game. The real test of temptation will be holding off buying this day one knowing X months after release it will be an even better game experience that I can't technically have.

This helps somewhat :(

I'd definitely echo that it's worth buying to support the devs, even if you don't play it for a while.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I never even built the cyclops in my first run from 2018. In the run I just finished there I only took the cyc as far as the lost river.

It was kind of fun using all the cameras to squeeze it down the tight corridors without touching the sides but I imagine it might get very tedious.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

khy posted:

Well that's the end of a hardcore run I don't feel particularly happy about.

Got to the final alien site, the one with the ion cube generator. Got in my Prawn suit to mine the cubes. Was playing around with the drill arm, and used it on the ground by accident. Suit froze up and wouldn't move whatsoever. No motion, completely stuck. Could look around but couldn't move/jump (Though the jump energy bar DID decrease). Decided to try to save&quit/reload, upon reloading the suit was immediately flung sideways through all the walls and outside of the map. At around 10k or so from the main area I got out of the suit hoping it'd teleport me back or whatever, but instead I drowned.

The final alien site is incredibly buggy which is a huge stinker. The whole gameplay period from arriving and before meeting the sea emperor leviathon was a hugely negative experience for me.

I had the exact same bug with the suit and when I reloaded I was flung through the wall. Luckily, I was only playing survival so I was able to reload again and jump out of the suit before it threw me out of bounds. But then when I was inside the facility my character would sometimes sink into the floor below his knees and the only way to fix it would be to run all the way to the vertical moonpool at the entrance and leave and reenter. I think the issue with the prawn suit is the same (sinking slightly below the bounds of the floor), because I fixed it the same way by getting out and running to the vertical moonpool.

It's a really sucky thing to see especially at the penultimate point of your first full story playthrough.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ebola Dog posted:

The most irritating bug I ran into was with the prawn suit in the alien bases at the end of the game. You are clearly supposed to take the prawn into the bases as their is even a mining node for it but any slope had a high chance of bugging the prawn out and rendering it immobile, even the grapple wouldn't get it moving again. When you got out of the stuck prawn you would also be a half height or partly sunk in the floor. The only way I got it moving again was cheating in a repulsion gun to knock it free.

This almost ruined the endgame experience for me. Unlike a lot of people my playthrough had been bugfree and extremely pleasent until this.

I had to fly the prawn around the final base just to keep it from happening.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd definitely recommend Subnautica based on my experience, but I was lucky that my bugs weren't overly gamebreaking, and I can understand why someone would not want to.

It's pretty awful form for the devs to leave a game as popular and beloved in this state and move on, especially when the issues are so reproducable and ubiquitous.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Don't install it yet, my friends. Stay strong.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally going to make this game unhidden in my library again :)

This is going to be a fun weekend

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just completed the giving the frozen leviathan it's medicine and figuring out where your sister died thing. Without spoiling, is that supposed to go anywhere beyond that?

It just feels really early and narratively awkward compared to the on-rails story in Subnautica. Almost like I got here accidently but I know I definitely didn't. I would have expected to have seen more Architect stuff by now.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I unlocked the ultra capacity tank before I even have the blueprints for it's prerequisite :psyduck:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
A really annoying bug they never fixed is when the light cones of your seatruck/seamoth headlights render when you're in the cockpit and you have to get out and back in to fix it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
With a freeform story like this they should have copied Outer Wilds and gone for that rumour map design. I don't like these personal diary logs that appear because they don't really fit with what I'm doing or thinking at any moment.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
drat, that was an absolute pleasure to finish. I would be very happy if they could keep making Subnautica games every 2.5 years, they've really got this formula nailed down. The only tedious parts I found were the specific above ground sections with the snow worms but I do hope they stay more underwater in future. Less tedium with resource gathering than the original, for sure too.

I'm glad I went into it blind because I really liked the Alan storyline. The Sam storyline could have been a bit more on rails. I ended up trying to solve that mystery imagining how Robin would go from clue to clue and ended up at the ending first and working backwards. In the end, I don't really have a clear sense of what her character was all about or whether her actions were justified. The side storylines were enjoyable and in general all the side characters were much more memorable and fleshed out in their PDA entries.

The graphics are cleaner, less plasticy and with less pop-in the biomes are more gorgeous to see and explore for the first time. I thought the soundtrack was more thematically relevant for each location than the original with much more interesting melodies.

The gameplay is pretty much the same. I really liked the Seatruck, definitely moreso than the Cyclops. It can do much more for it's size and it's less of a hassle to build since it's modular. I found almost no bugs compared to the original. Only one bug at the end (was unable to interact with Al-An's new body after building it) but luckily a reload fixed it.

All in all, I got ~19 hours start to finish in Below Zero for €16 compared with about 22-24 hours with Subnautica for €20. Definitely worth the value and whatever else they come out with will be a day 1 buy for me.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zesty posted:

You don't know if trying to stop reckless experimentation on the disease that's wiped out over a hundred billion was justified?

take out 'reckless' and this is basically a microbiologist's job description.

Is Alterra supposed to be like evil because everything I remember is that they're just a bunch of corporate douches.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Alterra sounds... *puts on sunglasses* better than Amazon

The problems are that alterra being poo poo are lost in the back end of text pda entries and wiki pages while everything we directly see and hear in the game is milquetoast stuff about annoying HR reps and corporate secrecy.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's nothing morally wrong with producing bioweapons any more than making a sharpened stick is evil.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Reveilled posted:

Felt unfinished:

Agree with every point you made 100%.

With Maida, it's like like all the interesting potential they've built up since the first game and you build up all these expectations while turning off the transmitter and suddenly it's

The Sam story is really dumb and honestly should have been dropped for something like Maida vs. Altera instead along with Alan.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This game coulda done with a periscope, for sure. The truck doesn't jump out of the water like the moth did.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rynoto posted:

I was curious and tried to put a pengling into the bioreactor.

They are not good fuel.

jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bad Munki posted:

I've been scouring the Mercury II wreck sites and can only seem to find 3/4 prawn suit fragments. This is driving me nuts.

Each site that contains prawn suit fragments always has just one less than needed to complete it. I got my last fragment from the Mercury II wreck.