Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just started playing, is there a way to add my inventory space to the survival pod itself? Having to go outside to retrieve stuff is a minor annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What do I need to do to harvest larger creatures? I knifed a stalker to death and couldn't seem to do anything with its corpse. Pretty annoying since I spent like 3 minutes chasing it down, but I suppose there's a lesson to be learned about hunting there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

I was very miffed when I tried and failed that, after reading a PDA about another survivor knife fighting stalkers for their teeth just fine :v:

I had never tried to kill a stalker until THE LORE told me it was faster than playing scrap fetch and hoping a tooth dropped the 5th time. So killing the one cool predator in the game for nothing made me sad.

The entire reason I went after one was because the PDA told me their teeth would be useful. Gotta say, if there's no incentive for hunting larger creatures in this game I'm disappointed. Tracking a large creature across the ocean and stabbing the gently caress out of it with my knife was fun. At least let me carve some steaks off of it.

Though honestly the whole survival element of this game confuses me since it seems irrelevant. You can just meet your hunger and thirst needs by spending one minute picking up fish and then you are set for ages. Maybe there is stuff that makes it a lot harder to get by later though, which wouldn't surprise me. I just inevitably compare every survival game to Don't Starve where getting to a point of comfort when it comes to food takes ridiculously long.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Welp, just died. I thought running out of breath meant you just started taking damage, not it being a near instant kill. What a stupid way to lose.

Back to the kiddie pool I guess.

Paracelsus posted:

Stalker teeth are a remnant from earlier plans for the game where there was supposed to be a lot more interaction with the fauna as a means of problem-solving.

Aw that's lame. I was hoping that interacting with all this weird wildlife would be a big part rather than just shoving peepers and bladderfish down my throat for the entire game.

So is there even a reason for me to horde all these creature eggs? They take a ton of space but I was hoping there would be something cool I could do with them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well that'll be nice if I can ever figure out how to build one. Wish you started with the blueprints to what I assume is a larger room so I could fit an aquarium in my house.

Is there a way to break titanium ingots down into regular titanium? Would be convenient for storage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zesty posted:

It pains me to see you discover every single fault that we expected to be changed before 1.0.

Welp

But hey, I saw a reefback. That was really loving cool.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Feel like this is a good image to summarize this game. I just built an outpost at the entrance to a cave, and after exploring for only a few meters I got lost and couldn't find the one outcrop my base was in. Barely made it back to the surface through a different one. Shoved a camera drone inside my outpost to serve as a marker so that doesn't happen again.

Are pipe networks subjected to any sort of pressure? In real life you couldn't just build a comically long tube to suck down air because it would collapse on itself, but I don't know if they model that at all in this game. Don't really wanna try building one to find out either.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 8, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm sad that large numbers of flares seems to tank the framerate. I wanted to light up the ocean in front of my house.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I guess this is his room now.

Sloober posted:

setup exterior beds and plant creepvine seeds. those fuckers are way bright

Cool, now if only I could find the blueprint for those :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My sea hare friend got outside so I replaced him with a new friend that is physically incapable of escaping.

So am I right in thinking this game actually keeps wildlife spawns consistent? I didn't think it would but I released a bunch of animals from different biomes outside my house and they are still there ages later. Also it would explain why I never see bladder fish near my home since I hunted the local population to extinction.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The moonpool is important because exploiting it is the only way I can figure out to get droppable items inside your base. With the propulsion gun you can pick them up and enter your base via the moonpool, at which point you can then drop them in place by scrolling the mouse wheel. Obviously not intended behavior since you can also kidnap live fish and have them swim around the air through the same method.

I feel like I must have missed something painfully obvious but it doesn't seem like there's any normal way to just drop items inside a structure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fucks sake, I almost died again. After establishing a totally pointless cave base, I realized i needed to travel really far to find new blueprints. So I traveled over 1500 km to some wreck in a weird area I hadn't been too. Immediately notice a bunch of massive electric eels. Scary, but I figure as long as I keep my distance I'll be fine.

Well while poking around inside a sunken hull I suddenly heard a loud popping sound. I wasn't sure what it was so I decided to play it safe and look outside. What I see is one of those loving eels trying to worm its way into the wreck. So that was frightening, but what was really horrifying was that it blew up my loving seamoth! If I hadn't gone outside I would of drowned for sure. I barely made it to the surface and had to seaglide 1500 km home.

I dunno if those things are attracted to vehicles but it was rude as hell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why does my scanning room randomly lose items from the list? Sometimes I can scan for 3 pages of items but other times its only 2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone else feel bad when they splatter a little fish buddy against the front of their vehicles?

Except biters, I go out of my way to hit those little fucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tried to make a kitchen and all the eye-eyes outside my base started pressing up against the window to steal my food.

Turns out food on the ground still decomposes though so I don't think this will work anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mrenda posted:

I have just enough components to build either the rebreather or the habitat gun thingy. I don't know if I want to build a base (and so have a place for my resources,) or swim deeper (and find more resources.) I might have to sleep on this. Or be paralysed into no decision.

Also, does anyone feel time goes really slowly when you're playing this? Maybe it's nerves making my time in the game seem longer or maybe it's the dulled underwater sounds and wavy motions, but I can play for twenty minutes and feel like I need a break.

Build a base, you need storage space badly. The rebreather doesn't do anything if you aren't diving below 100 meters which you really shouldn't be doing much of without better gear.

just find an area that is relatively open to setup stuff and build a bunch of storage lockers. Once you have a habitat builder a functional "base" can consist of nothing more than one segment, a hatch, and a solar panel.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the map in this game 100% static? I thought this, like most survival games, had a procedural generated map but after seeing a lot of stuff I saw in my brief first attempt again, it seems that its not. Which is disappointing for repeat runs but given how long this game seems to take it probably doesn't matter for most people though. Does make me wish I hadn't decided to play on hardcore though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

OwlFancier posted:

They were initially planning on making it semi random but dropped it, but that's in part why the game runs on an engine designed for realtime voxel deformation despite them having absolutely zero use for that in the final product, also partly why it runs like poo poo.

I knew I got that map being random from somewhere. Figures this game would morph into something else over the EA period.

Honestly I'd be fine with the map being mostly static if the location of fragments and datacaches were randomized. If I die and have to replay this I'm gonna feel real pressured to go to specific places really quickly rather than organically explore my environment because I now know I won't find a lot of vital upgrades without visiting those spots.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What a dumb goofy fish. That isn't your ship get out of there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anyway for me to fix this or am I hosed?

I parked my seamoth on a rock and it somehow glitched inside it. I can't access it at all. My base is 1000 meters away and I don't have a seaglide with me.

:negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bryter posted:

Open the console and use the command "dig" followed by the number of metres you want to excavate around you. That should let you get at it. Doesn't look like it's too far down.

Hey thanks, I wasn't looking forward to swimming back and building a new sea moth from scratch. This worked out fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how am I supposed to scan a leviathan without getting eaten? Your effective scan range is like 5 feet and the one I found is almost as fast as a sea moth at top speed. I'm worried that being attacked by one outside your ship is an instant kill.

Unless the stasis rifle works on them but that seems a bit too easy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you find more than one time capsule or is there only one per game?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Question about what I assume is a late game mechanic: I went to some spooky place in the ghost river and now I've got space AIDS or something. Is there actually a time limit associated with this that will kill me? Cause I've been spending a lot of time just loving around my base making decorations. I'd like to keep doing that but not if I drop dead because of it.

I didn't even wanna find that thing. I just wanted to get some seeds for my garden :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I finally got an alien containment built. Is there actually any practical purpose to this? I mean its cool, and I'm all about vanity stuff, but I thought it was gonna be necessary to use it to analyze infected fish or something. I can't find anyway to actually do scans on stuff inside though.

Also cuddlefish are ugly motherfuckers. It can stay in the tank.

Ciaphas posted:

Like I don't have gently caress THE OCEAN syndrome as bad as some (thinkin of Criken here) but the distant roaring I remember would sure as hell have me on edge more under the sea than anywhere else. :(

I know it's not really that kind of game but how much guidance is there in the main campaign or whatever it is?

The game gives you a lot of hints about where to go. If you follow a signal you will almost always find something useful along with directions to another location. You can explore on your own to find stuff before the game would direct you to it of course. If you're worried about not knowing what to do, I haven't really had that happen.

Also the game is extremely unnerving at times but that's part of the charm IMO. I'm a huge baby when it comes to horror but being in cool alien enviornments filled with dangerous predators is awesome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

well I picked some floaters off of a rock after the (sweet, new to me) intro and the game crashed, taking steam with it, so that's neat

good to only go 15 minutes before discovering there's no autosave, i s'pose

(e) oh, the intro can be skipped, that helps :v:

(e again) jesus christ, twice in 45 minutes? Didn't take Steam with it this time, just unceremonious app closure. Anyone else seen this?

In the 24+ hours I've spent playing this game I've never had it crash.

Performance can be pretty spotty at times though. I have a high end rig and I still get the occasional frame drop. Also one area ghost river caused a huge FPS drop and I honestly have no idea why. Not like there was anything down there that I'd think would tax the hardware more.

Away all Goats posted:

-Source of endless supply of fish since they will breed like rabbits in there. Also good for bioreactor fuel.
-Hatching eggs, which doesn't have any practical purpose but is kinda cool if you like to roleplay the scientist you are supposed to be.
-Safe place to grow Bloodvine/Creepvine if you have a predator patrolling outside your base or something. I think the alien containment needs to be 2 stories for them to grow into seed-bearing versions though.

How do you make the alien containment taller? No idea you could do that.

EDIT: Figured it out, that's really cool.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 13, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hatched a friendly crabsquid and immediately wanted to get more and surround my house with them.

5 minutes later I regret this horribly. He keeps sending out emp blasts that seem harmless but shatter my eardrums. :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you hold the scanner out you'll get a HUD indicator when something you can scan is close. Its useful to just swim around wrecks with it in your hands to see what you can pick up.

Mrenda posted:

I have my habitat builder gun thingy and I'm wondering about how I build stuff. I got that you lay a (single?) foundation tile, but then I just have corridors in my blueprint files for the moment. I have some of the scanner room, but apart from that no other rooms. Are corridors enough for me to place useful things in them?

Building in this game is weird. Your initial structure needs to be close to the ground. Once you build something though, you can chain pieces of it indefinitely. You can even deconstruct the initial structure and keep build off the rest, even if they are now just floating in the water connected to nothing.

As others have mentioned, corridors have enough space for storage. Depending on where you go you might not find the actual large room for awhile, which is pretty dumb IMO. I think you should of just started with it. Its not like you can do anything particularly useful with it until you actually find room modules to install anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GlyphGryph posted:

That's the mainline path though. I suppose lots of people go there and just... fail to explore?

If you mean the island that floats then yeah I've been there and explored it thoroughly. Regarding the certain plot point, I knew I was infected ever since I did the self-scan at the start but that's not nearly as frightening as suddenly being covered in horrid green blisters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well for what its worth I didn't know about the island at all so realizing there was actually dry land to walk on was pretty cool. Wouldn't of been as much of a surprise if I saw it from the lifepod.

Rynoto posted:

It all comes from a time early in production when the map was supposed to be a placeholder for the eventual open world proc-gen game that they abandoned and never bothered fixing.

The game will probably turn out better for a single run experience by not being proc gen, but I have to say I'm still disappointed this isn't the dream survival game I've always wanted. At least I'll get the thrill of being an ocean explorer this one time though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

You used to! Along with laser cutters, which I even now see spawning 3+ behind doors I needed a laser cutter to open in the first place :v:

There has been one notable improvement to navigation at least. They did polish up the lifepod with the compass. Back when we had signals to every single lifepod, there was one left out. A duplicate #3 (#6? been a while) lifepod, which was where the compass used to be stashed. Making the compass the single most missed databox in the entire game in that time.

I don't think I've ever actually navigated via the compass. I just orient myself around the beacons I've placed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grognan posted:

Crabsquid are poo poo pets.

But they're so cute! I had to put it down though, it was driving me crazy.

I'm so sorry squiddles :qq:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the water filtration device still drain power even when it has two salt and water processed in it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't beaten the game yet but this game does feel like it has a bad resource imbalance in that some resources are used a ton while others are barely required. A good example of this comes from the shale stones: you can get lithium, gold, or diamond from them. Lithium is super useful and used in tons of stuff. Gold comes from sandstone rocks too though and isn't used in nearly as much and in smaller quantities. Diamond is used barely ever. So when breaking open those rocks I always want litihum despite it not being the "rare" drop from them. Gold I feel like I have too much of and I'm dropping loving diamonds in exchange for titanium. It feels silly, but I have half a locker of diamonds I never touch. Meanwhile titanium is constantly needed so if I'm being practical there's no reason I'd take a diamond over titanium.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

What’s the point of the scanner drones? One of mine keeps getting stolen by a stalker and I’m probably okay with it keeping it

Using them as beacons for areas you want to visit and scouting out resources. Stalkers love to treat them like chew toys though so trying to use them anywhere near them is basically pointless. I once had a stalker swim all the way down to the jellycaves just to gently caress with a scanner I had there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I picked hardcore because I thought this was a survival game with proc gen. I don't mind games like Don't Starve where dying costs me all my progress because it means I can make a new map and be forced to tackle stuff from a different approach. I don't see the point here though. The map being static means you're just gonna be pressure to beeline for the best gear spots right away and ignore everything else.

Gonna be really upset if I lose this 24+ hour run due to a stupid death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can enemies actually damage your base? Cause it'd be funny to build a base right next to the big ghost and have it not be able to do anything about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So one thing I'll say about this game that might be somewhat controversial is that I don't really like the music. Its okay sometimes and there have been a few really good moments, but in general I think its way to intense. The music is at its best when it is more subdued and leaning itself towards ambience. A lot of the tracks have this problem where they start out mellow but then quickly drop into fast-paced action scifi tracks. That doesn't really fit with me lazily swimming about gathering sea shrooms.

Basically I wish it had music like this, which I consider the gold standard for underwater scifi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnC85I3wneg&t=667s

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you wanna see some incompetent play watch Vinny, who has apparently played this many times in beta but has still managed to drown in the shallows three times now

https://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm torn between putting useful stuff in the time capsule or just stuffing it full of bleach.