Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meiteron posted:

It feels especially egregious because I had actually really liked the combination of a slower base to move around the map and a nimble submersible to actually explore the places you get to, but with the Prawn you just have a slower base and and even slower ground vehicle when you've gotten somewhere. It definitely doesn't help where the endgame areas that require the Prawn are at the very bottom of extensive confusing cave systems making for a long march down and and even longer march back up to wherever you started. My first trip down into the magma area was broken up by me just giving up and loading a save 40 minutes back after I got turned around and took a different path back up, somehow, stranding me 2km from my Cyclops or base. I wasn't about to spend an additional 20 minutes stomping that thing back to civilization when I could just redo the trip back up on the proper route.

Make the jump jet upgrade for the Prawn. It solves basically all those problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meiteron posted:

Oh, I made it, and it helped, but it doesn't fix the Prawn's molasses slow horizontal movement. Yes, you can use the grapple for that, sort of, but I've found the grapple iffy on latching onto things you want it to. Also I have no earthly idea why they decided the grapple needed travel time and to be affected by gravity. This is star trek, I can make a star trek replicator with two bits of metal and some coral, I do not need realism for my deep sea mech grapple.

Frankly my issue is that having to deal with gravity, a thrust timer for vertical movement (even with the jump jet making this less of an issue), and a grapple introduces a slew of restrictions and things to think about when exploring the environment, and that's a pretty harsh damper on enjoyment when the last 20 hours have been very good for giving you complete freedom of action when moving around.

Ah, I see. I guess I never had the expectation that the Prawn was going to be a solution for general travel. I use the Prawn as an armor suit -- when I need to get out of a vehicle and collect things or do finer-grained exploration in dangerous territory, I want the big hunk of metal around me that reduces Ghost Leviathan damage to 9% per hit. I use the Cyclops as a glorified taxi for the thing. Compare this to the Seamoth, which explodes if it even gets looked at funny. The zapper on the Seamoth helps a little in that regard, but it's easy to get overwhelmed in my experience.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I read on their Trello thing that they are thinking about adding a cyclops dock. I really want something like that. Even something like an umbilical that attaches when you get close enough to the relevant dock seabase room or whatever, that can recharge the sub from base power.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

enraged_camel posted:

Did they change the way cyclops is charged? Back in beta you could build power cell chargers inside the cyclops and charge cyclops's own power cells using it, because science.

That's fixed, it's no longer a positive power loop.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I wish the Prawn (and the Seamoth for that matter) had the same access panel in a moonpool as it does in the Cyclops.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

The devs don't seem to mind breaking the laws of thermodynamics with potato reactors though :v:

They have also shamefully forgotten to model diabetes in their video game by allowing one to subsist solely on melons. MY IMMERSION :argh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

I assume those melons are genetically engineered by The Federation to be nutritionally complete.

Nope! They're native to Planet Y or whatever it's called. They would clearly cause Razor Soup Blood IRL.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cobbsprite posted:

Wait, you can eat the bulb forest plants?

Yeah, they're +3 Food and +10 Water.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Related to that, what's the best growable plant for bioreactors? I just run mine off of bulbo baggins tree samples.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Reginalds are a superior food source anyways.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The Prawn is basically the only real choice for the vehicle you dock in the Cyclops. The Prawn benefits immensely from having a taxi.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I don't like the Seamoth, it's way too fragile. :v: Gimme the stuff with shielding and armor and big fuckin metal fists any day of the week.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just lol if you don't build a cyclops

why the h*ck would you not want to build and operate a Big rear end Submarine

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cobbsprite posted:

Because it's actually slower and less maneuverable than a Reefback.

Ahead Standard.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Legs Benedict posted:

Wish there were a good map that would just show me where vents are :mad: guess I could just seamoth around for a night and pop some beacons down and then evaluate once I’ve found a bunch. Don’t really wanna have to do crazy cyclops maneuvering to get in and out of the base tho

This map marks the surface-level vents: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/1/1d/Subnautica_map2.png/revision/latest?cb=20170326001243

Linked it because it's kinda spoilery. The yellow circles indicate a vent or lava geyser.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Legs Benedict posted:

thanks, i might give something up north by the underwater islands a shot. Don’t wanna deal with crabsquid

I like the area by the large wreck in the Bulb Zone the best. It's right next to a Lost River entrance and the fauna are relatively tame. The underwater islands area, by comparison, had so many aggressive fauna that I could not find a safe place to park the Seamoth I brought out there to scout.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I had one of those Sea Dragon fuckers clip through a wall and take a big bite out of my poo poo, and it only did like 20 damage. I flew really far away, though :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

If your Cyclops gets hit hard enough, it'll actually turn upside down from the impact sometimes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I tried to wrangle the ghost leviathan down in the lost river by grappling onto him and punching his poo poo, but he was too fast for my grapple and I spent most of my time flopping around at tether length, which is far longer than my modest punch tantrum radius.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, I never really felt like I had to go out and spend a ton of time gathering resources in this game. I didn't really build elaborate bases, though, so that might be part of it. By the time I was ready to make the rocket and leave the planet, all I had to do was scare up a little extra titanium and lead (and it turned out I had some lead that wasn't sorted properly anyways.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I beat the game and the only bug I ran into was a sea dragon leviathan clipping through some geometry to bite my poo poo. It wasn't a big deal, though. The Prawn can take a hit or two.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I found copper large resource deposits in the Mushroom Forest. I denuded the entire thing because, man, I used a lot of copper.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

PantsBandit posted:

How much do people actually use the beacons. I've had them for a really long time but I feel so stingy with my inventory space that I never use them.

I went through like 2/3rds of the game not knowing they existed, then I used them constantly. If you're having trouble with inventory space, carpet the inside of your Cyclops with lockers and then stash a bunch of beacons inside for deployment at various areas.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

PantsBandit posted:

Just got the Cyclops! Aaaaaand promptly got it destroyed by a reaper. Once I started getting attacked I had no idea wtf to do, I tried to run away but it seemed to want to follow me anywhere.

I might see if I can cheat in some resources, having to scavenge everything over again sounds really unappealing right now.

The decoys can be useful to try to shake one of them off your tail. Drop a decoy, then jam it onto Ahead Full and get the gently caress out. (Don't let it be on Ahead Full for more than 20 seconds or it'll make poo poo catch on fire.)

The actual trick to Leviathans is to not draw their ire in the first place. If you need to pass by one, rig for silent running and set the speed to Ahead Slow, and creep on by.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I never bothered with the camera drones. I made the hud chip and just used that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I probably would have used the scanner room more if I wasn't a wiki-scouring cheater. Maybe if I replay it I'll abide by a strict no map, no wiki policy.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A single indoor growbed of marblemelons kept me fed and watered through the entire game. Put one in your Cyclops for food on the go.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, you can plow down 16 melons in a sitting if you want to no ill effect. The protagonist may cure himself of the Khaara thing but five years later he dies of diabetes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Knobb Manwich posted:

Playing in controller so it's really hard to Spiderman, navigate and look for resources at the same time.

After the like third time I hamfisted my way around trying to pick up one of those floating ore chunks after I mined it, I went back to keyboard and mouse. So glad I did.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still annoyed that they never fixed the lights or the driving position on the Cyclops. Chances are you'll be driving the cyclops near the bottom of the ocean and you'll want to see out that giant fuckin window. Too bad you can't see below you at all and the lights do nothing besides put a grey haze over the screen.

This is what the cameras and sonar is for.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, I remember being scared of the reefbacks, then going "maaaaybe I should scan one," then going "what the gently caress a reefback is stuck on the geometry of my base AGAIN and tooting its drat foghorn all the time just go AWAY you big piece of barnacle crap"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cheetah7071 posted:

I got this yesterday and have a few questions. I'm a few hours in--the rescue ship just exploded when I stopped for the night

1) Because I'm dumb, I didn't realize until later that you can scan the bits of wreckage for blueprints. Is there any unique stuff near the first few survival pods that's worth going back for?

2) In theory I have everything I need to make a simple base made entirely of corridors with no actual rooms. Is the PDA going to make this an objective at some point with a bit more explanation of how everything actually works, or is this is a situations where you're just supposed to mess around with it?

There are some basic pieces of equipment whose fragments spawn near the escape pods are, usually. It's a good idea to go check the areas around them.

The game will not require you to build a base, ever, or give you any sort of guidance on how to do it. Hell, one of the most basic pieces of base structure, the multipurpose room, is something you have to find fragments/blueprints for out in the wild.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cheetah7071 posted:

I got those near the Aurora. That was the first area I went to when I realized I should be scanning stuff

Thanks. I'll go back to the old escape pods and maybe see about putting a minimalist base near a deep sea and I'm interested in, mostly to put an air refill deeper down, and have a refabricator and storage that isn't a kilometer away. Probably won't build anything too homey until I find the multipurpose room.

Prioritize finding stuff for a Seamoth vehicle, is my recommendation. In addition to being fast, it refills your air when you enter it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

There are actually some fairly rare non-drilling kyanite spots down deep, but the idea of being in the lava zones without a prawn suit is just a bit scary.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I didn't really figure out that you could build a base at all until after I had made a Cyclops, so I used a ton of floating lockers.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone else find it strange that you can take a Seamoth down to its crush depth, but then get out and swim yourself deeper? I tried taking it in the jellyshroom caves for one of the Degasi bases, hit its crush depth and went "Welp, time to get out and swim deeper."

You also don't get the bends, ever. This game is RUINING my IMMERSION :arghfist::reject:

(god imagine how awful it would be to have to manage decompression sickness)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is fixing the Aurora's drive optional?

Fixing it is optional, but you do have to go onto the Aurora to get the plans for the Neptune rocket, so you might as well fix the drives so it stops making GBS threads up half the map with radiation. Swim charge fins and the rebreather are worth the minor trouble of fixing it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Verviticus posted:

A: is there any way to craft from storage
B: is dying basically guaranteed in a new playthrough at some point or is it an easy game

A) Nope, but mods add that if you feel like modding the game.
B) Dying is pretty easy to avoid. I beat the game and only died once, and that was because I got lost inside a wreck and ran out of oxygen. The fauna were all trivially avoidable, and once I got the exosuit, basically harmless.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ded posted:

Use a stasis gun and never fear anything.

Well, except for the part where warpers can teleport out of the stasis bubble :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inescapable Duck posted:

Can you build thermal reactors around volcanic vents, or does it have to be lava vents?

Equip a thermometer and swim around. Anywhere that's over 25 degrees Celcius can draw power from a thermal reactor. Obviously, the hotter it is, the better it performs, and volcanic/lava vents will be hotter than just open ocean.