Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Built an X compartment with a hatch. Tried building an I compartment where the hatch used to be as it wouldn't let me build anywhere else and I figured it would either put the hatch at the end or or refund me the pieces.

It didn't do either, and I didn't have another piece of quartz on me to build a new hatch. I'm slowly waiting to die of dehydration and hoping I get put into the Lifepod, otherwise I'm hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Put in 65 hours since the 27th. Started a new game the other day, no console cheats this time. Still having a good time.

I hope the rumors of an arctic DLC are true.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a section of The Void that has a smallish hole you can fall into. This means you can build a base. Bring melon seeds or a couple big eggs and you can power the whole thing too. I don't know if Ghost Leviathans attack bases, though.

Coordinates: -1393.2, -324.2, -905.5. Jump off with your Prawn, facing the The Void, and you should land eventually.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vasler posted:

I'd love to see what this looks like. Do you happen to have a video or screencaps of this spot?

https://streamable.com/mb51r

Without the "fog" console command, it's pitch black except for your PRAWN Suit lights and whatever lights from your base. It's impossible to get back up unless you're on Creative mode; the grapple arms can manage it easily but the Ghost Leviathans will eat you within a minute. If you're really determined, you could try taking the Cyclops down. Might require several decoys and the shield module. I don't know if the Ghosties continue attacking your sub when you're out of it, at that depth. I was testing the feasibility of creating a base down there on my regular save, just to have it. Without the Cyclops or cheating, I don't think it's possible.

On a related note, you used to be able to jump off the side and fall forever. One of the latest patches teleports you back to the Safe Shallows if you manage this; my save file that's almost 750,000 meters underwater just dumps me back there. The game engine starts to break down around 100k, and just gets worse.

The screen was violently shaking: https://streamable.com/ymia5

Edit: Well now I need to find out if it's feasible. I'll have to load up the Cyclops with decoys and the shield. I'll consider it a success if I can make a base and escape out of the Void without dying.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 16, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does it use 1% no matter what, or less if you have In Batteries? I haven't used the sonar, I just go with the cameras. I've also found it useful for carrying supplies for a new base, or carrying more that I farm with the Prawn. Seamoth is faster but doesn't hold enough and you can't get the Large Deposits, the Prawn takes a while and also can't hold that much compared to the Cyclops.

I read through the entire thread, I guess I'm having too much fun with it to let stuff bother me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You can build corridors to start. There is a multipurpose room in the Jellyshroom Caves, where one of the first radio signals or lifepods sends you.

I had a Seamoth when I finally made it down there, so I could just park it at 199m and swim down to scan things. I didn't know anything about the game (I don't think I'd even opened the Wiki yet) and I managed to find it just fine by following the breadcrumbs.

Maybe it shouldn't be an unlock but it's not exactly hard to find.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think the exploration part is pretty good while the survival part may as well not exist. Oxygen is fine considering the speed you get upgrades, food and water stop being a concern the second you get any kind of edible plant seed.

I wouldn't mind a much more in-depth survival mode, perhaps separated from story mode, and also completely optional. Temperature is never a concern; my Prawn fell through the world in the active lava zone while I was grappling around. It stops falling after 35 meters if you get out, so I was able to collect the inventory and upgrades then swim back to my base in the inactive zone. Took temperature damage the whole time and probably didn't drop below 90 health.

In this theoretical mode, exterior plants could require certain biomes, temperatures, depths, etc. Interior plants could require sunlight; natural for free but above the surface, or power hungry sunlights. Maybe require multiple items to make into a meal to get the equivalent of melons now. Temperature for the player and bases could also be a concern; to hot or cold and you start to slow down and take damage, and bases require more power if they have to heat or cool.

As a big fan of Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld, things like this interest me. However the exploration and atmosphere of the game are so strong that I wouldn't want them to apply to the "regular" mode, so people can experience it their own way.

The last game to grab me this hard was Stardew Valley, and I can't really explain it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think beacon fragments are real close to and in the spawn area. I remember on my latest save finding them pretty quickly, maybe around the nearby cliffs to the Kelp Forest.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know if achievements are disabled if you use the console? I'm getting increasingly certain that the game somehow failed to spawn Cyclops Engine fragments, they aren't at any of the usual haunts, not even in the Aurora.

Edit: lol, they removed all the channels where you could type on the official Discord so i can't ask there either. "game released, now gently caress off bye bye" these developers are so weird and passive aggressive

Achievements are disabled but return when you reload the save, might even work if you save then reload. I don't know what you're talking about with the Discord; if you just joined it for the first time you have to wait 10 minutes or so before you can type, presumably to cut down on spammers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In my 75~ hours, I just discovered the Cyclops has built in lockers on the bottom deck. They're tiny but they're there.

The rocket also has lockers for some reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bizarre Echo posted:

I'm having trouble assembling bases, and I'm not sure what I'm missing. The pieces don't want to be placed on the ground plates, and sometimes the components don't want to connect to each other. What's the obvious thing I'm missing here?

Pieces don't attach to the ground plates for whatever reason. If a piece isn't connecting, try rotating it with the mouse wheel. Some things, like the Moonpool, can't be rotated and can only be connected on certain sides.

It's inconsistent and foundations not attaching is annoying.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would love if the map could be randomized. I'm not done with the game but eventually I'll have explored everywhere and there isn't much point to starting a new run when everything is in the same place.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Yeah I have a prawn permanently stuck inside one of the pools because I decided to get out and scan something.

The brine pools shouldn't kill you right away. Just bring 3-4 first aid kits and hop into the Prawn, use the kits until it wears off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Data consoles can have blueprints for things you already have, in which case you get a couple titanium instead.

Edit: Unless you mean the data download ones with story stuff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've forgotten how many entrances to the LR exist but I know there are at least a couple places down there with thermal vents a plenty. Prime places to build a base.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There's either an entrance in the Bulb Zone, or that's the Mountain one. It's pretty close to the Large Wreck and some lava vents. I was very surprised when I came out an exit I hadn't seen before and was right next to my main base.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Prawn should be your next upgrade; definitely get a couple grappling arms for moving, and a drill arm. It starts with, I think, a depth limit of 900m and upgrades take it to 2300m or so.

Most people in this thread will tell you the Cyclops is useless/dumb/overrated but it's a giant sub and I love it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

`How exactly do I get inside the scanner room?

You can attach it to a corridor in your base, or build a hatch on one of the two sides.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When I read the Wiki last month, it mentioned turning the QEP off before the Sunbeam arrives.

The Sunbeam stays in orbit, telling you there's too much debris to attempt a landing (from the Aurora) and that they'll tell someone at their next stop.

I don't know how true it is, the Wiki is godawful.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Bramble posted:

What are other especially scenic locations worth building a home in with lots of cool things to look at through the glass? Glowing things and bizarre predators are a plus.

In both of my runs, I've built a base in the Inactive Lava Zone. I can't remember off the top of my head which direction it is from the Lava Castle. it's directly below an entrance, next to a bunch of lava falls. There are plenty of Magmarangs, Lava Lizards and Warpers around, as well as a Leviathan off in the distance making noise*.

*It's only came to my base once, when it was chasing my Prawn suit.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A single interior garden bed filled with melon seeds is plenty to keep a bioreactor running. Reginalds and other fish are more efficient but sometimes you don't want to mess with an alien tank in a base you don't live out of.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So is it possible to connect a scanning room to your habitat? Mine won’t link up and is just sort of floating off to the side.

Also, diving in the jellyshroom caves is terrifying. Those horrible eels were biting chunks out of it, then I had to get out to change the battery and I was like OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo. Glad I can repair it.

I built my main base right near the jellyshroom cave entrance and I finally got around to making it nice, with a bed and an aquarium to breed my own food and stuff.

This game rules. Now I need to go find some ruby and stalker teeth. Do I just kill the stalkers to get their teeth? How? I don’t want to go toe to toe with my teeny knife...

Scanner rooms will only connect on two of the sides; you have to rotate it until it connects. For getting Stalker teeth, they tend to drop after the Stalker picks up a metal salvage. You can also scan for them with your scanner room.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have the devs said anything about DLC or additional content in future patches lately? I still like the game and haven't actually fully explored everything but more stuff would be great.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wouldn't mind a mode or something that creates a randomized map and playthrough. It might not be as compellingly or interesting in certain parts but it would definitely add in replayability and make survival mode worth playing more than once. I still love the game but I've basically explored everywhere and even created a base deep in The Void.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have they said how big the new map will be, and if you can travel back and forth on the same character?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The dig command still works with the console so I'm guessing the terraforming tech is maybe something built into the engine. Might not affect fps as much this go around?

I used the console to zoom around the new map, some neat stuff you can find already.

There's a small opening at the bottom of the Twisty Bridges that opens up to a large area with nothing but magnetite and diamonds. I explored it with a camera drone to be sure it was empty and still got stressed out when I actually swam down there myself.

Gonna be great exploring again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a tiny little person sized hole in one of the biomes that went down forever. So far that a high capacity tank and a Seaglide didn't get anywhere near the bottom. Had to put it in Creative just to keep looking. There was a very nice pink fog, some bitey fish, and rubies.

Also some very unfinished Spoiler Stuff that will be neat. Feels like I'm exploring the old World of Warcraft alpha that leaked years ago.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The new Deep Twisty Bridges biome in BZ is pretty cool. Hoping they put in some more power sources soon, Solar doesn't reach down far enough to build a proper deep base.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are any power stations besides the Solar Panel in yet?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Killstick posted:

I only played Subnautica after it was released, and i liked that experience. Is it too early to get into the new one?

Probably. I played a few months ago and quickly hit the limit of what was available. I didn't fully get into the first one until it was feature complete and just waiting on polish.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oasx posted:

They have confirmed that it will get a price increase at full release, 5$ or something like that, full release is expected to be early 2020.

Below Zero is still missing a lot of the story, but the base game is there and it is just as good as the original. The map is smaller but it feels like they packed a lot more into it. The thing I am missing the most is a power source other than solar, but they aren't in the game yet.

I'll second this. I'm waiting on non-solar power to jump back in. I like building deep bases and exploring from there and solar only goes so deep.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Loaded up my save where I have a base in The Void and either a bug happened or they changed something about the map. I built the base in a little alcove, since you need something for the modules to attach to and the walls there normally won't allow it. Now that alcove is gone and it's just empty and honestly, even more terrifying that way.

https://streamable.com/w2yhl

I turned on creative mode to get the video without the leviathans causing a fuss, and fog off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Corsec posted:

Did you build the base in survival mode? If so, did the leviathans attack your base during/after construction? How safe was it with them around? I've just never seen leviathans interact with built structures, so I'm curious. I read somewhere that preadtors will sometimes try to attack fish inside your alien containments.

I did! Took the Cyclops down, fully loaded with decoys, until I was close enough to the spot I found that would let me build. Managed to get a multi purpose room built before I was completely eaten, and built out from there.

They frequently clip through the base but haven't attacked it at all.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Serephina posted:

I dno, do you still have the Seamoth and Cyclops and crap in addition to all the new content? Or is it the same game, but with differences?

New map, new story, new vehicles with none of the old vehicles.

Edit: I forgot the Prawn is still in, as it should be.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 22, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found my first time capsule (that I can remember) last night. It had a picture of the rocket pad and nothing else but some spelling errors.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The deep lava zone should've been boiling hot.

Also I would love some freaky combination of Subnautica and Oxygen Not Included, exploring an asteroid or planetoid in space.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Breathedge, maybe?

It's on my wishlist.

My dream games are very specific and nothing will ever actually live up to them. Stardew Valley is the closest.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just use beacons for interesting spots.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I hate the deep rumbling you get when piloting the Seatruck.

How many modules can you have on that thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Huh, I expected there to be more to Koppa Mining Site. Guess I can tear down most of this base I built.

Further location spoilers for that same place; the secondary entrance that a Seatruck without modules can enter seems pretty pointless. Pain in the rear end to navigate and then you have nothing really to show for it because a base Seatruck has nothing.

Much easier just to park it outside the door and build a base inside.