Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

Mr. Crow posted:

What's a similar game to scratch the build/survival itch as this? Preferably complete or mostly complete.

7 Days to Die is the only one that's come close for me, and that has plenty of its own bugs & issues. It's somewhat fun SP (play the default handmade map if you're new) but really shines on a whitelisted MP server. Closest game to Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" in that humans are the real adversary once you get the fundamentals of survival figured out, so if you do play solo it'll eventually end up being a "listen to podcasts while you collect garbage and build stuff" experience, nothing wrong with that but it really needs an endgame.

Blightfall is a pretty neat minecraft mod that gives the game a sci-fi spin and some direction, and it's as free as any other minecraft mod. It's even got some (comparatively) high-res BDcraft textures available if you're into that.

Actually if you're OK with minecraft try downloading the Technic launcher or somesuch and get HEXXIT -- that's sorta like minecraft and nethack hammered together, with all the delightful jankiness you'd expect from such a project. I had a blast playing Hexxit over a couple of months on a 4-person server, and SP have would *have* to be more engaging than vanilla minecraft, especially since you get newer/tougher monsters & dungeons every 1000m from spawn, and have access to way more building materials/items/gadgets to craft w/out getting into industrialcraft madness.

These suggestions are all tonally very different from Subnautica though -- I think Far Sky is similar (and finished) but it's a very short game, apparently, and the graphics in the screenshots look closer to minecraft than Subnautica. So sorry for another half-answer; think I'm in the same boat as you. Subnautica might just be the first title to really nail this genre, or at least it could be once they get the drat thing finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Now if I can only get over my crippling fear of the deep places.

I used to feel similar, but then I saw the light.

I went very very deep into the Blood Kelp zone, gathered some oil. I was having a little luck with some mineral deposits so I risked a cave run. Went deeper than I ever had before, figured it was practice for diving into the endless dark to gather end-game resources.

Then I saw the the light and realized that no, it's not gonna be like that at all.

edit: wasn't vague enough

mmmm fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 8, 2018

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey

Pylons posted:

The way I tackled the endgame area, which worked out really well, was to bring all three vehicles along to the Lost River where I built a base (including a moonpool and a scanner) in the giant tree cove. The sea moth was for trips to the surface, and the cyclops+prawn wasn't too hard to drag to the endgame area and back. After that, I just made the round-trips necessary to build the rocket, which was a bit annoying by the end, but much better than trying to find all the poo poo you need in places other than the Lost River.

seconded as a perfect mid/late base location -- recently built the same thing down there and I'm loving the location. No hostiles, thermal power, well lit, plenty of loot to reward a scanner room too.

You can explore the lost river or jet back to the surface with yer seamoth (kind of have to hug the ceiling but it's no biggie) and the cyclops/prawn are ready to delve deeper in the other direction. I'd argue the '"correct" base placement is anywhere bordering the shallows you like for a first base, then the giant tree cove for a second base, and then using the Cyclops for what-have-you. Maybe build the odd scanner room here and there (Jellyshroom caves etc.) and you're covered for the game.

I released my cuddlefish in the cove and it's getting along fine with the ghost rays, looks like a good home. Released some peepers but they seemed to start dying -- is that a water temp. thing? Nice detail if so. Gonna hatch some gasopods next and see if they're OK to live in the cove, maybe stalkers too-- been peppering the place with creepvine growbeds. Building a little oasis in between spookier runs helps keep the game fresh, you get to play a little Stardew Trench also.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey

GlyphGryph posted:

When you say you only just released your cuddlefish.... does that mean you didn't feed him treats and he didn't follow you through your entire adventure and you only just finally let him out of his cage?

^^ I found an egg that I'd never before in the deepest DeGassi base and hatched it in my Tree Cove base. It's a lucky thing the guy likes it down there.