Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I have a seamoth, tossed the perimeter upgrade on it and some storage. I can get it to 300m so I've fully explored the purple mushroom cave and now I'm wondering what to do next. I haven't found any geothermal fragments yet so I haven't bothered building a base in the cave yet but I've considered building one with a bio reactor if it's stable enough with just a tank full of fish or some fruit trees.

Where should I explore next? Any cool locations like deeper caves? I still haven't found aluminum oxide to upgrade my depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stalker teeth might as well be called rooster teeth. I've found 3 the entire time I've been playing and now I'm trying to build the cyclops.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Just picked this up in the sale. Will I be missing out a lot on what the game should be if I play without hunger and thirst? I've had bad survival game experiences grinding that poo poo out but if it's an important part of the progression pacing then I don't want to throw everything off.

I'm playing with food and water and it became trivial once I found surface fruit. It adds a little extra incentive to base building because you'll want an aquarium breeding fish in your outposts, but it honestly isn't robust enough to be genuinely enjoyable yet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I built my main base in the kelp forest, it's a great view. I also built an outpost in the floating isles, the sea treaders path and one in the purple mushroom caves. I took my cyclops into the inactive lava zone but looking at the wiki it appears I've exhausted the content so far.

I really hope they add more story content and dumb things to do (like populating biomes with fish for a reward, transplanting biomes, etc.) and flesh out the survival aspect of the game. I'll pick it up again in a year but the progress so far since release when I first played it has been great, bases are quite robust and enjoyable to build.

The big floating surface island is basically cheat mode though. I hope the DNA tool stuff is the future and it lets you build your own crops rather than just get infinite stuff by planting a tree.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope they'll include some kind of transit gate system when the really deep poo poo gets implemented, like an abandoned teleporter network. The downside of course is that players would only build bases next to the gates so maybe having random exit points or temporary wormholes would be a better option. Or I could just suck it up and spend hours travelling places :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like some Base customization options. I wanna stack aquariums on top of a basic room with an aquarium instead of building multiple floors of rooms to put aquariums into. Or at least the option to remove the floor in between room stacks so I can look up.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It'd be neat if you had to dedicate a 'wall' in the multipurpose room to a gadget. The assembler on the life pod could be the same but if you build it in a base it's a big jury-rigged mess coming out of the wall, the communicator would be a proper setup with a desk and a scifi ham radio. We already have wall modules like the windows, reinforced bulkhead and living wall. The wall mounted flower pot would be a proper mini greenhouse where you can grow your tomatoes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Once the game is more feature complete I'd love a more gritty and lowtech mod or alternate gameplay mode. You'd start on a surface island and scrounge up scrap to make basic tools and make very short dives for pearls or whatever, then later on you'd craft your first wetsuit and start salvaging more valuable tech from the Aurora from a workbench, basically expanding the tech tree hugely and making the current tree the endgame.

Heck you could make your first bases a bunch of pre-crafted inflatable rooms you have to anchor to the sea floor until you get the building wand.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Ooor you keep true to the theme and be in the water 99% of the time because the game is called subnautica and it's about being in the water.

It's not something you should "unlock" partway through the game, it's not somewhere you go just to scavenge resources before going back to your above-ground shelter. If you want an above-ground survival game there are about a dozen on steam in varying stages of completeness that you're free to play right this moment.

Fortunately, the designers seem to agree. The early game is pretty much done at this point excepting minor tweaks like critical blueprint unlocks soon to be found in larger wreck rooms.

Yeah I guess you have a point, I'm just used to the primitive to high tech progression from other survival games.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want to know more about the DNA stuff. I think they'll want to gate the fruit tree and other good crops behind it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You need to be quite deep in the kelp forest to find it. The best place to get silver is the kelp forest in the opposite direction of the Aurora wreck from your escape pod. There's a volcano vent in a cave there with lots of deposits and an entrance to a deeper cavern (bring a flashlight).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I could get crafting times if they were like 20 minutes to an hour and involved multiple machines like in say, Minecraft, for some of the big things like the Seamoth because at least then you have an incentive to go explore while you wait. But 90 seconds is just pointless filler and nothing more than an annoyance.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Internet cultists are weird. There's no way people who disagree are passionate and signed up to voice their displeasure at a change. Shut up or put up.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

They'd better not put timers on converting scrap metal or refining lubricant/silicone rubber.

They could encourage bigger Base building by moving those crafts off the fabricator and into refinery machines. I think the bio reactor is pretty cool and I wouldn't be opposed to something like it where you leave a bunch or resources and collect the outputs 10 minutes later.

Having 10 second timers for converting scrap at the fabricator would just piss me off though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'll write up an effort post later but if they are insistent on crafting timers then I want them to overhaul the entire crafting system and flesh out progression a little bit.

Take away the ability to process scrap in the fabricator and make that a refinery place able (takes up a whole room) that uses power.

Do the same for making lubricants as well as a fee other machines that can process food into nutrient blocks that don't decay.

Add a new room that has space for 4 machines. Add more intermediate machinery that has external components on your base and can synthesise certain resources from the environment. This would give the player a good incentive to set up bases in unique locations such as the mushroom cave and guide progression in the tech tree to be more linear.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the easy way to do it would be to add an intermediate game mode. We have survival, exploration and creative right now. Add a checkbox for advanced construction and people can choose if they want to build bases and industry or just use the old fabricator.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well sure. I'm just trying to come up with alternatives to dumbfuck crafting timers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Went and added my two cents to their forum about dumb crafting timers. I can literally count on one hand the number of times I've cared enough to do such a thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is exciting, I wonder how hard it will be to make

It won't take many resources but the components will all take 90 minutes in the crafting bench.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You're being mocked because you seem mad that the game doesn't move out of the survival themes. The sea is dark and full of terrors.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

This game looks incredible and has been sitting my in wishlist forever but my sea-related anxiety keeps me from jumping in.

Get in the pool, nerd.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What ended up happening with crafting time? Even I posted on their forum to complain about it but I haven't played since.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ambaire posted:

The last time I was really playing this game was last year before they made the seamoth change that turned it into a slow laggy monster instead of the zippy underwater fighter jet I had. I honestly don't see myself playing subnautica again unless there's a way to revert to the march 2015 version. Despite the fact that I have 28 hours in it, if I could get a refund, I would. It's basically been developing backwards and is now in no man's sky territory.

Nice meltdown.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They can't actually decouple terraforming can they? They're just removing terrain deformation and calling it a day.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's okay the Cyclops has a shield :downs:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

See instead of nerfing teeth they should have been adding more cool and clever ways to harvest or steal resources from the native life but stalker teeth are literally all there is.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's progression like atm? I can build a cyclops right now but I still haven't unlocked the moon bay. I feel like I skipped something there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I found the Lost River. Good poo poo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Cyclops is certainly annoying to pilot around in areas that has bonesharks but I've still found it incredibly helpful when exploring. I've mostly used it for the Grand Gorge and the Lost River where I take it into an access area and drop the rest of the way with the prawn suit.

Incidently, the prawn suit is goddamn amazing. The battery lasts forever and it's easy to get around deep areas with the grappling arm.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If Subnautica was easy to mod it would have been modded like crazy already. I could really do with some more base building options and more sources of Titanium at lower depths. It's really annoying having wrecks be the only real source of building blocks for your bases. In my new campaign I wanted to build little outposts all over the place but turns out it's super tedious to get enough titanium for even a small outpost so I just defaulted to loading up the Cyclops with a few plants and an aquarium full of the water fish.

If a mod was able to re-balance crafting costs and keep materials relevant for more than 2 recipes before moving on to the next tier I'd never play without it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I accidentally stranded my cyclops in the lava cave because I didn't know that the lava worms suck energy. This kinda sucks.

On the bright side I found the secret thing and I brought a bunch of junk with me to build a base, so I think I'll just set up a base here with a bio and thermal reactor and recharge my cells.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

That's why it's worthwhile to scan and read the entries on everything new you come across. One neat trick is to pull all your powercells for a minute and then put them back in. With no power to suck, they detach and swim away.

Yeah I should have thought ahead and brought a reinforced diving suit too. I hope growbeds work down here because I brought a full seed bank, my plan was to set up a fully operational base in the lava zone but I might just move it a bit up so going outside doesn't kill me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Haven't done this yet but it's tempting. One game I play a lot is Factorio and I love seeing how much the devs and the players care about the game and it keeps getting better with every update. Then I go check out the Subnautica thread after not reading it for months and I just get loving depressed. I just want a chill underwater exploration thing where I can zip around in my fighter plane seamoth. Is it possible to revert to a pre-april 2016 build somehow? (serious question)

Lol.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Ok fine keep the dumb cyclops changes and finish the loving game so I can do a for realsies run. They might as well just put in slender man who follows you constantly if they want to keep tension in their pacifist sea survival game.

There is in fact a reference to a hunter-killer entity targeting the survivors in the story.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

To be fair some of the new changes in the test version are making things easier. Lubricant is cheaper (1 instead of 3 seed clusters) plus a few other things.

I think they should just add more reasons to use growbeds. If machines had an upkeep cost or some sort of catalyst that increases efficiency you'd be encouraged to put little farms at your outposts. I'm really fond of building tiny little outposts in the various biomes and having a small farm plot for things like lubricant and rubber.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think I bungled myself into a death spiral in the lava caves. I can't get back in my cyclops without being eaten by the big thing. It's just as well though, the secret down there is the last plot point in the game until 1.0 so I'll call this run a success regardless.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The answer is obviously to introduce more big predators. The seamoth is vulnerable to most things. The cyclops is realistically vulnerable to at most 3 enemies. Leviathans, crab squids and dragons.

Give the unique biomes some kind of big thing that can take a chunk out of your cyclops or incapacitate it in other ways. Make the blood trees spray acid on your sub if you bump them or something.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Protip, there are gel sacks right on the path to the Aurora from the escape pod. Look for a shallow chasm.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The only annoyance I have with reinforcements is that they take up window slots. And I do like my view.

I'd really appreciate a square multi purpose room. It doesn't even have to be able to machines. I just want more options for base building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Digirat posted:

ok why can't you make multipurpose rooms at the start anymore, I haven't found plans for them anywhere and having to just use a locker hallway for a base is adding nothing to the game

Yeah its gated behind finding abandoned bases. The best place to look is the Island. You can also find it in the mushroom cave but you'll have to look around a bit and have the first depth upgrade for the seamoth