Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They should really just add more room types in general of various sizes. A square room would be nice and also the ability to integrate a large locker into a wall side would be amazing. I love windows in general but they really sap the strength out of your base in the deeps so a reinforced window type would be just stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Building bases in pretty places is my favorite thing. If only the game let me have resources in amounts that are useful for that without having to cheat them in.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The prawn suit drill arm really ought to deposit directly into the internal storage.

I feel like if we got something like that and also resource compression I'd be a lot less salty about resource scarcity. Let me turn ingots back into regular ingots dang it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The game could definitely hold your hand a little more with regards to the waypoints and discoveries. You get led to the floating island and a few other places but that's about as far as they take you with regards to story. In order to find the Prawn suit arms I had to go look it up in the wiki because the wreck they are in is super hard to find by chance.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I built a second base near the the Lost River entrances near some thermal vents. I feel really dumb bceause I was shuttling resources from my main base to this one using the seamoth, forgetting that the Cyclops has a ton of storage in it.

I really wish I could figure out where I can get an orange artifact I need to get into the lost river base.

It's on a desk.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol gently caress those changes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The cyclops should really have the sonar be a passive and constant effect because you can't maneuver otherwise.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Cyclops is the only sub that can survive deep enough to enter the lava caverns. The lava caverns are filled with things that make the Cyclops poop itself, among these are energy draining slugs and a host of predators that just love to bang holes in it and now they're making it even harder to use it down there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would be cool if you could restore the abandoned sea bases for a minor resource cost. They are all in fantastic locations and it's a stupid amount of effort to gather the resources to build your own in those places.

Being able to pay some titanium and glass to refurbish them for habitation would let me live out my outpost fantasies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bunch of Twitch streamers have been playing this lately. It's been a lot of fun watching people discover the game fresh and I'm sad I won't have that feeling again, but at least I've never explored the lava zone so I do have something to look forward to :)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

9 million huh? How much profit have they made on the game then? I can't imagine they'd have survived at all if they were short just a fraction of that at any point.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've seen 3 separate twitch streamers ask for the fabricator to pull out resources from storage now, heh.

A dedicated storage room you can just dump scrap metal and other things into would be real nice though. Better if the fabricator can use items in there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The building list for modules ought to be 5x larger. I want square rooms, ramps, different shaped foundations, etc.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game is good. I really appreciate how cheap and easy it is to make a scanner room now, it makes the early grind for resources almost trivial and I'm no longer punished for building tiny outposts everywhere.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Digirat posted:

Eh I don't think it's so bad because you fly through the early recipes if you've played before, as long as you use the console to cheat in your base building materials. Making a big base takes hours and it definitely would drag too much if you had to collect all the crap again too

Actually the scanner room is like a bit of titanium, copper and coral. It's ridiculously cheap and then you just have to craft a computer chip and set it to ping you for X resource you want. Making big bases without cheating is super easy, even on lower depths because you can always find what you're looking for.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been having a grand old time. I've hit most of the early tech tree and the only thing holding me back is finding a gel sack, it seems they've been removed from the small crevice near the aurora so instead I've started setting up supply outposts.

My first post I picked the bulb forest near a hot cave and lava vent. The cave has a bunch of rubies and uranite and once I find the gel sack I'll set up thermal plants in the cave to supply renewable energy for a power cell charger and water purifier. The spot is 200 meters from the fossil caves so it's also a perfect spot to start that adventure from.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Qmass posted:

So where did you guys build your second base (assuming you had one in the shallows)? I have done a bunch of down to ~300m stuff so far and im just about to start doing stuff further out so I want somewhere closer to the action than the shallows.

There are two spots that act as good outpost spots for deeper expeditions. There's where I built mine (bulb forest) which is near an entrance to the fossil cave. And there's underneath the floating island which is near the entrance to an even deeper area.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I realized something kind of silly today as I was building an outpost 800m down in the Lost River. If you build reinforcements on the moonpool it counts as way more than if you build them on say, a corridor, because it's supposed to reinforce structurally weak buildings :downs:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Where should I make a base?

Where do I find lithium

Anywhere you want.

Best place to find lithium early on is the mushroom caves. Check the edges of the sandy areas with red grass.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did you install and use the mods on an already ongoing save? That can often break in games and it’s best to install mods and start a new game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I guess it depends on how big the cave networks are? If it's 1/6th the total square area but deeper and more densely populated with caves and points of interest it will probably work out. There's a LOT of empty space in Subnautica.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Faffel posted:

I was ultimately disappointed at how simple many caves ends up being. I want the Terror of being turned around in sub zero water trying not to drown in an unknown cave.

Yeah the only really complex cave I remember is the one with high temperatures in the bulb zone.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The game is fine honestly. The bugs are small and not game breaking and I say that as someone who thinks playing on hardcore is pointless masochism.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Is building a base in the lost river useful? I just found the big cool tree and I’m gonna check out the alien facility. Also, I’m at my Cyclops’ max depth at the tree more or less and I don’t have any kyanite for the MK2, nor have I ever seen any. I understand that it’s apparently in the next biome, the inactive lava place, but idk how to get there to harvest it if it’s below my diving range. Should I hop in my prawn and go on a Spider-Man adventure until I find the entrance and some kyanite? I’m also having trouble finding much nickel.

Definitely looking forward to playing the next game totally blind, being with this since EA has definitely taken some of the mystique out of this final push

Yes, the tree is one of the ideal late base spots because its placed very close to a deeper sinkhole.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Currently playing a new game and rushed down to the tree cove to build my main base. I’m living out of that cave now through an elaborate system of beacons for navigation and using the prawn to collect the building materials I need to expand. I need so much loving titanium.

I forgot where the Teleporter is down here though. I’d like a quick surface shortcut.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wrr posted:

The nexus mod for that (goon created I believe) is so wonderful addition and I cannot recommend it enough.

It’s loving great. I also have the one that will craft intermediates for me so I just dump all my salvage metal in the locker and start building with the base tool.

The locker mod also has some good range. So I’ve been building my base off the lockers inside my submarine by just parking it above my spot.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Table coral grows right in the big intersection before the tree cove.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That was quick, wow. Still not gonna play it until full release.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

So I'm at the point where I need Kyanite to build depth modules. But it seems that all Kyanite is at a depth deeper then the Prawn suit can go, and that the Prawn suit is need to mine Kyanite. I know there exists some loose kyanite crystals somewhere, but plot-wise it doesn't seem like there is any good way to find them other then dumb-luck. Is this correct or did I miss a branch somewhere that would lead me to some?

In one of the cave tunnels leading off the Center of the lost river there’s a big hole in the ground with kyanite easily in range of the prawn suit, if you have the depth module for it.

You’ll want the jet pack upgrade and grappling hook to get back out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I'm gonna wait, but I'll still buy it because I want to support the development. So long as it's not like, $40.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well streamers are playing it now, so time for a media blackout.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah the development cycle for Below Zero seems to have been a complete train wreck. They went for what, two complete reworks of the story campaign so far? We had a rocket at the start which was sort of cool, that got scrapped and now they've switched voice actors and the entire orbiting station bit.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drewsky posted:

What’s the similar situation in Below Zero?

They threw the entire story out and started over. Hell I think they've done it twice now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Doing a chill run of Below Zero as I haven't played it since they first went into early access. It strikes me that a major design flaw of Subnautica is the main thing it does, freeform exploration. There are so many things that I want early on because I like to make pretty bases all over the place, but it took me ages to find growbeds and the alien containment. I've gotten one of the story bits done and I still haven't found loving windows. It's super annoying to me that I feel I have to rush through the exploration portion just to do basic stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it’s kinda weird the above ground stuff in BZ isn’t... Bigger. They put a vehicle and everything in the game but there’s no use for it because the above ground stuff is so small and the one area that’s bigger you can just use your prawn suit. Why not have the surface span the entire sea zone instead of being isolated patches at the maps edge?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I played to the end in the last EA build so I’ll probably hop in to see the ending. But what’s in the patch notes? What did they add in this 5gb update besides the ending?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My save survived so I got to see the ending, kind of disappointing to be honest.

The animations and poo poo are cool but there's no answer, we don't get to know if the architects survived or not and the entire narrative of the game was centered around that question. What a cop out

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think what Below Zero should have done was have the entire surface covered in ice with just a few access points scattered across the map and have it be a flat ice sheet for the most part. This way you could zip across the ocean on your bike and actually have a drat use for the thing. All the surface areas ended up just being isolated little sections with heat sources and food/water everywhere so there was never any danger besides the predators and the occasional blizzard.

If the speeder bike was your primary way of getting around a larger sea map in a fast way I think that would also organically give players a reason to have multiple bases. In fact they could have cut the truck entirely.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

uXs posted:

How would you avoid drowning when you have like 30 seconds of oxygen at the start?

That's the neat part, you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pacific Drive is a very chill experience on the default settings, I've only died once and it was on a story mission at night where I messed up and had to drive without lights. I think the progression and pacing is a little off, with regards to the workshop upgrades like the highway shortcuts and there's definitely a point where nothing can really threaten you even in the inner zone, but I think that'll change in a new playthrough if I crank up the difficulty.