Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So I got this game and encountered my first reaper and loving gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress loving gently caress gently caress

So yeah, now I'm playing creative mode and building a nice underwater base in the safe shallows and never ever leaving there again.

10/10 Game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Night10194 posted:

Reapers Yelling always sounds further away than it actually is. I hate them. I hate them so much.

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Reapers. Any suggestions? I'm thinking sticking to crevasses and keeping low to the ground away from open water so they have less room to navigate. Any other ideas?

e: also strategy includes staying inside my sea base loaded up with aquariums and farms and watching the sun rise and fall forever and never going outside.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Paracelsus posted:

Minimize time spent in reaper areas unless you're in the cyclops, and follow the terrain closely to minimize the angles they can approach you from.

How dangerous is the Reaper to the Cyclops? I know it can't directly damage it so far but I also know a Reaper got a hold of my seamoth and pushed it down below the terrain until it was destroyed by the depth.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Honky Dong Country posted:

They also made gas torpedoes produced using gasopod fart orbs which I'm hoping will be somewhat lethal.

If I can't use them to kill a Reaper by firing wildly in their general direction while crying, I'm not interested.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My Reaper strategy in my last game was to establish a network of scanner rooms which I sent to slooowly creep along the sea floor looking for any possible Reapers, then build another scanner room at the maximum range of my scanners, and repeat the process, making sure to keep a wide berth the moment I find a Reaper. It used up a lot of materials, but by God, it kept me secure.

Also, there's nothing else like bringing a scanner to right in front of a Reaper and watch it placidly ignore you.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Eclipses are "fun" when you're exploring the ocean during the daylight and suddenly everything gets dark as hell. My usual response was "wait, is it getting nighttime already, leaving me vulnerable? Is something else happening that's going to threaten me? Is it space reaper leviathans?!

Fortunately, I now have a cyclops so I can rub right up against reapers without worry :D

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 11, 2016

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Well that's creepy as poo poo. Can't imagine what it'd be like to see one of those while diving.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Solomonic posted:

Today I had an odd experience where the marker for the escape pod was not actually on the escape pod. It seemed to have glitched into one static position that eventually led me around the Aurora and off the edge of the map, where I had a close encounter of the unexpected kind with a leviathan. :cripes:

Is, uh, is there a way to kill the leviathans, or at least scare them away? That's the second time I've had one uncomfortably close (I was looking for cyclops bridge fragments with one swimming about fifty meters overhead). They swim very quietly for something of their size.

Get yourself a big-rear end submarine and laugh as they treat you like a curiously mobile piece of furniture, and then never venture out of the sub near them again. Scan different biomes for the Cyclops parts, avoiding wide-open areas with not a lot of features but a lot of empty space, as they tend to gravitate around there.

They also appear every now and then in the Mushroom forest, which is great for getting your heartrate up. Your strategy then is to swim far away from them while crying.

Promontory posted:

This game's the highlight of the summer sale for me.

I've got a base set up with food and water, what would be a good goal to aim for next? I tried venturing to the main ship on my glider but I'm pretty sure I was attacked by the devil himself, so I ran away.

Looking things up on the wiki seems to spoil a lot, so: subs? Are there any super useful base modules I'm missing out on? (I've got alien containment, fabricator, first aid dispenser and some storage).

Personally, I go for the Scanner Room and the Seamoth next. The Seamoth is good for moving quickly, exploring depths, and staying underwater for longer, but they will get torn up by Giant Sea Assholes if you go near them. The Scanner Room allows you to establish a base of operations from which you can search the sea floor from the safety of your base, without being attacked by monsters or the Satan of the Sea.

Alternatively, if you're looking for an alternative source of food (location spoiler) You can go to the Island to the South to get fruit and containers to grow plants in. Just swim in a direction parallel to the length of the Aurora and you'll eventually see it rising out of the horizon. Bonus points are there are no sea satans there

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Incidentally, gently caress having to scavenge for Stalker teeth to get enameled glass. That was the biggest pain in the rear end and after about an hour of searching and getting like two of them, I said "gently caress it" and just console commanded them in, which is like the only thing I'm willing to do that for.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

uXs posted:

Find some scrap metal, drop it near a Stalker. It'll try picking it up and will break its teeth in the process.

Oh I did that. Problem is they don't seem to drop multiple teeth at once, and sometimes stalkers have already picked up a piece of scrap metal by the time you reach them, and dropped their tooth somewhere in the grasses where you can't see them. It's just a massive pain no matter what.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:stare:

:stonk:

This is the one goddamn game that sets off my thalassophobia while playing mouse and keyboard, VT subnautica might kill me.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or concerned that you end up playing a game that is entirely about your phobia.

Also fun fact: Apparently bing searching a phobia brings up pictures of the phobic object. That seems ill-advised.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
And for that matter why do I need enameled glass to build an observation room? I can put a normal window in my sea base at the high pressure bottom of the ocean, game, do not tell me I can't use that same glass to make me a glass ball.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

MrDorf posted:

I guess that's one way to handle a fear....The last thing I want to do after playing this game is go scuba-diving.

Exposure therapy is actually an effective way to deal with phobias. Immersing yourself entirely in your phobic environment tends to make your anxiety go down. I've done it for a few things.

Granted, my exposures did not involve close proximity with giant man-eating sea-assholes, so your mileage may vary.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
After seeing my first Reaper (who took my Submarine and pushed it down below the crush depth where it was destroyed, the jerkoff), I swam like hell back to my base and resolved never to go out into the ocean again. The next few plays afterwards involved me slowly teasing my way out from my base again and exploring further and further, half-expecting a Reaper to pop out from somewhere and with every noise putting me on edge. It was around this point that I had concluded I wasn't willing to go scouring around potentially Reaper-infested waters not knowing where to look for things, so I cracked open the Wiki and figured out what locations had what parts, as well as what locations had Reapers, then proceeded to take expeditions from my base to search for pieces that concluded before night fell and everything became super dark (I also got freaked out by eclipses at first for similar reasons). This led to me dotting the sea floor with scanner rooms that could scout ahead without being destroyed (even allowing me to run right up to Reapers and not have them give a poo poo), after which point if the area was cleared of reapers I would venture out and gather more supplies. Then I got my Cyclops and trailed around like I owned the place.

Still had some close calls with all this, like that time a Reaper popped into a mushroom forest and I turned around and spirited away while shouting expletives the whole way back. And I still get frightened when I see Reapers, even though I know I'm in a big-rear end submersible where they can't hurt me.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Section Z posted:

I wonder if during the longer load times, it half loads your base in the background without power and that kills them? Because every time my game loads up, it goes through all the "power restored!" stuff. (The lifepod even starts off still broken, and slowly goes through the repair animations)

I'm pretty sure the fish in alien containment don't die in the absence of power. If that was the case, I feel like I'd have noticed all the dead fish in my various solar-only bases after they run out of power every night.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I should maybe update the OP. I also feel silly about not making a more elaborate thread title.

If we can get the title changed, I'd like to offer a few suggestions:

Subnautica: Thalassophobia Simulator

Or possibly

Subnautica: Oh poo poo what the gently caress was that?! Oh gently caress it's coming back poo poo poo poo poo poo

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Viperix posted:

On a related note, recommended locations for a base(biome-wise, not specific places?) I'm mid-game, I think; I don't have the cyclops yet.

Safe shallows on one of the locations close to the surface allow you to build a surface dock with a landmark you can see from anywhere on the Map, plus it's safe, so I recommend that.

If you're feeling ambitious, I recommend putting it right behind the aurora engines, mainly for the thrill of looking out the window and seeing a Reaper putzing around.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Honestly with the power draw of water filters I'd rather just have a few levels of aquarium filled with the airbag fish for water filtration.

Honestly, get a fruit tree, and you never have to worry about water again. Everything else is just for show.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Xik posted:

Sorry friend, literal quote about modding Subnautica from the director of UWE:

Interview is up on RPS

Man. I tried to withhold judgment, and I know next to nothing about what game development is like, but these guys have a really weird relationship with their player base. Not every game needs mods, but for a company who based the entire game's development around continuous interaction with the players, and who fielded so many conflicting ideas about what the game should be from said players, to not spend a bit of time opening up the field for the community to make their desired changes (and likely expand the player base and extend engagement with the game) is really odd, and strikes me as insecure.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Right now I'm mentally comparing this to how Paradox handles it's dev process, because those are the other games I've been playing a lot of recently. No early access, they make modding really accessible from the get-go but keep it from eclipsing the core game by putting out continuous free and paid updates for years afterwards. It's a good model, but one that requires a lot of confidence in your player base. Unknown Worlds doesn't seem to have that as much.

Of course, maybe being exposed to really zealous and angry players on the game forums and relying on them to determine the direction of the game tends to undermine that sort of confidence, but at this point I'm just armchair psychologizing.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Sininu posted:

Desync means players in multiplayer session go out of sync and start seeing increasingly different things on their side.

If that means one player would start freaking out in skype about being gobbled by a reaper while the other is right beside him in open water not knowing what the hell is going on, that might actually have some perks.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Section Z posted:

EDIT: And the ability to loving rotate ladders. A large majority of my connected towers style base planning was working around streamlining ladders, so I wouldn't need to deal with constantly catching my wide scuba hips against them wanting to enter/exit hallways.

Petition to change all references of "birthing hips" to "wide scuba hips".

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Ganson posted:

They still need to replace the 'Welcome Aboard Captain' sound effect for the Prawn with 'Goliath Online' from Starcraft.

Oh hey speaking of which, what do you guys like to name your vehicles? Me, I'm of simple tastes and I like to stick to a theme-- my Seamoth I call the Pimpmoth, my Prawnsuit the Pimpsuit, and my Cyclops the Pimpmersible.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Digirat posted:

I think it's best with food and water off. They're kind of fun needs early in the game but later on they just become obnoxious and force you to stop exploring or doing fun things, while not actually being a threat anymore

Agreed. In the beginning you're having to juggle food and water needs while diving short distances and monitoring your health, which is a perfectly good survival game cycle. In the end game, your time is already being limited by power, personal and vehicle health, and inventory size. Adding food and drink is just redunant by then, as far as game mechanics are concerned.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

The Bramble posted:

As a related aside, I cannot believe how much fun I'm having building bases/habitats in this game. I'm happy to spend most of my time shuttling between my bases hauling materials if it means I can build exactly what I want. I totally bounced off the building portions of games like Minecraft or Fallout, but something about this game really grabs me. I feel like I want to spend a couple weeks hanging out in my submarine home, sipping whisky and looking out the window in between tinkering on projects in the workshop.

I feel the same way, and I think it's because bases feel like such a necessity in this game compared to the others, as a place of restoration and security, and building them offers a break from the constant dread of searching the depths for resources and parts, and provides a reason for doing that searching in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

endlessmonotony posted:

Lifepod location is determined on world generation.

I hate that it does this because on my current survival playthrough it put me close to the stern of the aurora and even though it's safe shallows territory I still shudder when I look at those engines because ughughugh reapers.