Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, besides making water itself, the water purifier also makes salt, which you can use (combined with some coral) to make bleach, which can also be used to make water, so you can get more water from that than just what it produces directly. Or you can just collect a bunch of salt, carve up some coral whenever you need it, and make bleach that way.

Otherwise, yeah, breed airsacks I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, despite having thalassophobia (or, well, fear of certain aspects of the ocean at least) bad enough that I actually get anxious just watching some videos of this game, I went and got it during the sale because it looks neat and I've heard good things about it. Downloading it now, though it won't be done for a few hours because my connection isn't the fastest. Will be doing stuff like finishing up Sips's video series on the game (and thus slowing down my download further) in the meantime, I suppose.

Wow, though, looking at the roadmap for this game has revealed to me that the designer is a massive dumbass.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Digirat posted:

How do you reach a point in your life where you somehow decide the developer of a game you've never played before is a dumbass, and then buy the game anyway

I had already bought the game at that point, actually.

Anyway, I was reading the roadmap, and discovered the entry "Female player model, voiceovers, animations, UI selector, etc." I had been wondering if the player character would be customizable after watching some videos so I was already curious, and I saw that entry had a description where most don't, so I clicked it. The description linked to a Twitter poll, where the guy posted, "Would you prefer we added the option to play as a woman in @Subnautica, or improve the core game?" Which is... About the worst possible way to ask a question that is a bad idea to ask in the first place. Another dev actually immediately called him out on it being a false choice and bad question, but he kept going with it. It came off as very passive aggressive, talking about how adding a female character option would require making big cuts to the game for little benefit and such.

Other responses were mostly decent, with only a couple appearances from the sorts of shitheads you'd expect to be attracted to something like that, but, yeah. When the guy harps on and on about how adding a female character option would necessitate making a worse game, I am not exactly impressed.