Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is a neat game. Unknown Worlds have a frankly kind of naff development approach, but this game plays to their strengths. They've always had really cool art direction and not actually needing a really tight functional aspect to the game like they did with Natural Selection means that it really shines in subnautica.

The environments and general style, and especially the sound of the game are all top notch. It's still a bit janky and that needs fixing eventually but if you want an atmospheric game, this is pretty the best one in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Has anyone spent much time down in the Inactive Lava Zone? I'm finally able to get some depth, but I'm still only on the verge of being able to go inside. It's crazy deep. Need to craft more pressure upgrades...

The bit at the base of the grand reef appears to be almost completely unfinished I believe, there's nothing in it as deep as i've been with sonar and it's all got a very "just this second hacked out with a spherical voxel tool" shape to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe the laser cutter gives you a prompt when you can use it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Reapers. Any suggestions? I'm thinking sticking to crevasses and keeping low to the ground away from open water so they have less room to navigate. Any other ideas?

e: also strategy includes staying inside my sea base loaded up with aquariums and farms and watching the sun rise and fall forever and never going outside.

A fully charged seamoth stun will make one let go, and two will apparently make it stop trying to eat you.

I have not tried this for obvious reasons. My approach is to stay as far away as possible and if I need to go to the big volcano island, I swim as fast as I can across the surface and try to pretend I can't hear it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

On a serious note I have been reading about diving in "overhead environments", basically anywhere where you cannot just swim up to get to the surface. One major killer are silt-outs. A diver kicks up a ton of fine silt even in the entrance area of a cave, cannot see their hand in front of their face, get disoriented (including swimming into a cave instead out of), panic, and run out of air.

If Subnautica added silt-outs that would add a whole new level of danger.

Bonus points if it summons cave crabs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

So I recently found out that creatures hatched in tanks will not attack each other, and have thus condensed my growing zoo to a single container.

What all creatures have eggs to scavenge so far? I've been trying to find a Reefback egg to no avail.

I have a feeling a reefback egg would probably be the size and texture of one of those boulders the little floaters like to stick to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

Honestly, get a fruit tree, and you never have to worry about water again. Everything else is just for show.

Filters are useful for making water to take on trips, fruit takes up a lot of inventory space.

Also HOLY poo poo I just built a repulsion cannon. You can send sandsharks loving flying with this thing, and it knocks chunks out of the terrain, it's amazing. It's basically the super gravity gun from the end of half life 2.

Digirat posted:

There should definitely be lethal weapons that can kill the monsters, I don't understand the aversion to letting the player kill them once you tech up enough. Like that's just simple survival game progression, the harder monsters block access to certain areas until you build up to the better weapons that can kill them. Having lethal weapons would not make the game any less terrifying, it's not a horror game and the fact that you can't kill monsters is not what makes it scary when it is

I believe the game is explicitly not supposed to be a game about murdering everything. I kinda like it honestly. Also I 100% dispute that it is not a horror game, the ocean is terrifying.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 11, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other primary method of orientation is the Aurora, based on which part of it you're looking at you can figure out roughly where you are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

But you found doors blocked by debris? You're going to want a propulsion cannon. There's a fragment just outside one of the entrances and a PDA hinting at that I believe but you're going to have to explore to find another fragment.

I could tell you where it is but I assume if you wanted all the answers you'd just use the wiki. I just don't see a good way to hint at the above.

I would point out that the door into the cargo bay has another perfectly viable way into it, and it's not even an exploit because it's stacked so that you can climb back out again easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

I'm pretty sure there's sections inside that require the propulsion cannon to progress so it's probably a good idea to have it regardless.

There are yes but there's a bunch of stuff you can get without it, and a bunch more you can get with a laser cutter and a welder which don't need blueprints.

I still haven't found another cannon fragment but by golly I got myself a mech suit and punched a sandshark.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also food. There's water bottles in there, but no food.

Actually there's a huge amount of non perishable food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still wish there was a machine we could feed a bunch of fish or plants into and it all gets processed into those Nutrient blocks that the lifepod has.

Also, I've seen surprisingly little talk of the PRAWN Exo suits so far. Has no one gotten around to building one yet?

I just got mine.

It's hella slow but it has a basic crush depth of 900 meters, so you can jump right off into the blood kelp and crash into the bottom no problem. it's way more durable than the seamoth and you can punch stuff if it gets in your face. Also comes with built in storage which can be expanded and it can grab stuff from the pilot seat, which makes it super good for resourcing expeditions, especially as it doesn't need much in the way of upgrades so you can probably stack a bunch of storage on it. It can actually climb out of a lot of places too with the jumpjets and I imagine the grapple will take it even further.

It's probably the best vehicle except possibly for the cyclops, cyclops is a good mobile base but the prawn is great for clomping around in exploring, it's slowness is also something of a nice gameplay thing because it makes navigating environments very different, you can't just fly past everything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brick Dust Otis posted:

How's it hold up against them bitey mouthboys?

I have not had an opportunity to test it against a reaper yet, but I punched an electric eel in the gob and it hosed off. It has way more health than the seamoth so it's certainly a lot tougher in general.

E: I also found that there is strictly absolutely no need to build a propulsion cannon to access 100% of the aurora, you can climb over all the piles of debris except the one on the lower exterior, but you can circle round the back of that one anyway. The only things you need going in are a laser cutter and a welder.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 29, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

You can do quite a lot without the gravity gun, actually - there's only one or two side sections you actually need it for?

Every other obstacle can bypassed. What you really need to remember to bring is the fire extinguisher.

You can do literally 100% of it without the gravity gun if you jump a bit, the only debris you can't bypass without it is the outer lab door, which is irrelevant because that only leads out onto the ship.

Everywhere else is accessible by jumping over things, or finding back ways through.

You can also ignore most of the fire too, and you find more than enough extinguishers on the ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

If you have a Seamoth and the Pressure Compensator you can grab on the Aurora, try the Blood Kelp wreck. It's between the Grand Reef, Sea Treader's Path, and Dunes, a little over 300m down.

Also if you're in the aurora, scan the exosuit, build one, and jump off to the bottom of the blood kelp zone, ideally punching the electrosnake in the face on the way past.

It's a pain to climb back out but it's fun dropping 500m in one go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The best way I've found to do it is to find a whole bunch of stalkers and then take all but one of their metal salvages, they'll fight over it and drop quite a few teeth generally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The red grass plains near the big wreck chunk have an area which has a big pillar, near a little trench, with a flat plain on one side. I almost always build there. Nice deep area with a good background colour and easy access to some useful areas. Also nice view with the reefbacks drifting about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have the cyclops I would suggest that the prawn is infinitely more useful than the seamoth, given that its primary limitation is that it lacks mobility, carry the prawn where you need to go, get out and beat stuff up.

Prawn or seamoth without a cyclops is a toss up depending on whether you want to go deep or far, but if you have the cyclops then the only thing you are limited by is all the functionality that the prawn provides.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

Is there any major drawback to making a gigantic gently caress-off tower of vertical connectors aside from the hit to hull integrity? There's a really deep chasm near my base that I want to connect down to so I don't have to swim up so far to refill my oxygen tanks.

It'll use a lot of titanium, you may find it more practical to use the air pipes, that's what they're for.

Though building the vertical connectors will let you teleport down there with a ladder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

I don't want a gun, but I do want a way to tell a fish to gently caress off that works better than the dinky knife. It doesn't even have to kill the fish, a cattle prod on the end of a long stick would be fine, anything to not have to fight sand sharks off at pointblank range while the assholes dive into the sand to escape my counter attacks.

The repulsor cannon is very good at that, comically so, but it is a bit slow to get.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Did they finally fix it so they don't soon come back for another try at biting you, instead of loving off to another area entirely and staying there like the Devs admitted they are supposed to? What personal defense options we do have don't always hold up quite as well if you want to investigate a wreck or place thermal generators in peace (Flares are a loving joke in that regard even when they work. "I'll drop this distraction on the floor, next to where I'm trying to place thermals!.. wait")

But then, even a temporary reprieve with the prop gun is a huge boost to convenience.

No idea, last time I used it the gun punts them about 50m away so they don't seem to come back.

Otherwise stasis rifles are able to freeze them i think?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oasx posted:

I think that for a lot of people the appeal of this game was that it was different than most survival games. Instead of chopping down trees in order to build a cabin to keep you safe, you were free to swim around and just look at the scenery. There were still dangers but you were safe most places.
The game now seems to be heading in the direction of a generic survival game, it isn't bad by any means but it was definitely better a few patches ago.

You can still do that, but the horrifying depths are still there and they will still murder you if you poke your head down there.

There's plenty of safe spaces but the game has had a "gently caress gently caress no no no" threat since the reaper leviathan was added.

Enemies, and frankly, all the other things in subnautica are environmental hazards, they don't range everywhere and when you encounter them they are best avoided. Your tools help you to do this easier. You can sit on an island happily and eat fruit all day but to progress you have to go to more hazardous places and figure out how to survive there long enough to get what you need from there. The hazard can take the form of oxygen, pressure, darkness, food, heat, power, or enemies, but the consistent theme is that you are at greater risk the deeper and further out you go, and you need to overcome more things to go further. Most of those things can be eased by greater preparation in easier areas, but enemies are the hazard that requires you, by and large, to play well in the area.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 13, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oasx posted:

From what i can see you need a propulsion gun to get in and out of the Aurora. You can technically get in without it, but then you need to cheat to get out.

You can climb back out over the debris, it forms a staircase from the back side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

I have intense thassalophobia and gently caress this game looks great but i can barely log 5 minutes before the terror grips me and I turn it off.

You mean you're a sane person.

I don't have a particular fear of the ocean except for my understanding of exactly how big and unexplored it is, and that swimming in open ocean should be a near identical experience to being 10km up in the air, there is that much impenetrable void below you.

It does give me vertigo though, and the game is quite good at giving the image of just how deep the ocean is, even though it's less than a tenth scale.

It's also worth noting that in the actual ocean no amount of light is going to help when the primary obstruction to visibility is obscuring particles in the water, you are essentially swimming in fog, no amount of water clarity will help with that because if you put light into the water it will just diffuse and create more visible fog. So draw distance is actually most realistic underwater.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 5, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dyz posted:

Meanwhile the other team plays as passively as possible and only attacks RTs.

That is frankly a rather good way to play NS, don't fight straight up, just deny the enemy resources. It's part of why I don't like the game, the best way to play isn't any fun.

Definitely think the team is better suited to a non-multiplayer game, their talent was always with environment design.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The precursor stuff is pretty neat.

And potentially useful too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luminous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't find the fall damage particularly deleterious, so long as you're careful it shouldn't be an issue.

One thing I did notice that may be an older feature, but the islands both now have a noticeable... distortion effect. They appear from range as a sort of consistent darker cloud on the horizon which doesn't track with the rest of the cloudscape, hard to spot unless you're looking, and as you move towards them, the sky distorts and the island comes into view.

I have a feeling it's supposed to be some kind of cloaking device.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 16, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Oh my god. I was joking when I called it the "Draw distance cloaking device" earlier in the thread :doh:

I really hope they do not literally go with "Oh, you can't see it because cloaking/Superman 64 fog" in order to skimp on being able to see at least a rough outline of the largest above sea level land mass in the game from the lifepod.

Unrelated wishlisting: That someday we get a UI tab on our PDAs to toggle visible beacons. I love dropping deployable beacons to mark stuff or as reminders, but in the end that gets pretty busy on the screen.

You can see them, they're a noticeable dark spot on the horizon, if it was just a draw distance thing they wouldn't have bothered putting the long distance effect in there I don't think.

I quite like it honestly, because if you could see the island you would immediately go to it which means you would immediately find all the stuff on it before doing anything else.

Which, well, doesn't really work with the exploration theme of the game. Like, if you see the island and the giant fuckoff alien space cannon sticking out of the side of it, that sort of spoils the initial pacing of the game, I think.

It also does kind of make quite a lot of sense once you find what is on both of the islands that they would have some kind of defence system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new precursor stuff is very much more interesting to look at than the placeholder stuff they've had in there up to now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Fall damage seems dumb.

Am I right in believing the mountain island is gone? I think I read somewherr it was getting replaced with the precursor island. Which kind of sucks, imo, i really liked those barren little fingers of rock as the only piece of land sticking above the sea, and first discovering them while exploring was one of the greatest feelings I had while playing the game.

Overall it seems to be moving further away from the exploration focused game i loved before. More sequence adhesion, more explicit gating, more grindy poo poo, more annoying mechanics that add nothing like fall damage, more hostile and more aggressive wildlife...

Maybe I have just played too long now and this isnt accurate, but it feel like the game has just largely... lost its chill, i guess.

The mountain island is the precursor island, the facility is built into it.

If you like exploring then the new patch adds some neat stuff to find.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plek posted:

The island haze/cloaking would not bug me so much if you couldn't see the loving sunset through it.

You can see the sky on the other side through it too though? It wouldn't be a very good cloaking device if you couldn't.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes that is what i said they replaced the mountain island with the precursor island. If they had added a new precursor island that would have been different, it is losing the mountain island that I am not a fan of.

It's the same island, it just has more stuff in it and a base on the side of it. It would probably make a good place for a base in all honesty, what with being the teleporter hub.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that I know of? I still find stuff I've already scanned and it still breaks down into 2 titanium, still a useful source of titanium.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, that's the point. It was a unique natural feature with unique life forms (those birds) and cool towers to climb and felt like this little niche of surface life desperately clinging to a few isolated fingers of rock poking above the water with no greater purpose. It was cool and evocative and thematic and that was all.

Now it's just the place where the plot important alien facility lives, that you will probably uncover when the game directs you to go there. It no longer exists as an opportunity to discover something surprising on the planet your own, now it's just another stop on the theme park ride. Now it's boring.

Your complaint is literally "I used to like the island before it went mainstream."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Thats a pretty fuckin stupid misreading of what I said.

You can still find it on your own, you only get pointed there if you fully explore the aurora and download the data from the end of it.

It's still interesting to explore, even moreso because it now has more things to find on it and particularly more unique things on it.

All of the geography is still there, and more to the point you already found it, you know it's there.

Complaining that it's ruined from a hypothetical new player perspective because it has some plot relevance and because the signal that points you there is now hidden in the aurora rather than randomly scattered around on the seabed in multiple copies is kind of silly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 18, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The seamoth I think if you upgraded it would be quite useful for getting to and from the very helpfully placed plateu in the lost river with the thermal vents which basically screams "set up a base on me!"

As one of the entrances is quite hard to fit the cyclops into.

You can also pack three different storage modules onto it I believe, two on the back and one on the side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

You have to give up cool modules for storage space though :sigh: I do like always having one though. A spare power cell and beacon outside of your inventory are always nice. Just wish it was more practical/possible to reach that spare inventory while it was parked. You can kinda reach lower pods, but upper storage pods are just hosed when docked in the cyclops.

That reminds me, I still wish the depth modules had their own extra slot. Essentially you only have three upgrade spaces for your ride because it's not like you can skip the depth module unless you are only planning on using it for near surface taxi runs.

The fact you said "You can pack three storage modules" makes me wonder if I missed some patch dedicating one of the four slots to the depth upgrade. Or if it's just the "Well... Gotta have that depth module" talking.

I say three because there are three different spots on the model for adding more lockers, and depending where you put them you get extra lockers. I guess the fourth just makes one of them bigger? I've never tried.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a locker on the side with the upgrade panel? Where does it go? Doesn't the panel get in the way?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Then again, the Stasis rifle data file also suggests you use a conventional weapon because of how useless and nonlethal the statis rifle is :v: So the actual in game lore doesn't exactly match the player base's interpretation of "The lore means we are genetically incapable of even thinking about guns"

The ingame lore is that the reason you don't have any guns is because a previous survival situation turned into people fighting each other with them, so they took them out. Being as alterra is literally corporate hell government, the reason you don't have guns is because HR heard about a problem they caused once and so nobody is allowed to have them any more.

So yes, it's a bad weapon and you should use a better one for defence, yes we took all the better ones out of the printer, if you have an issue with this, please fill out the relevant paperwork and submit it to your line manager for review.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 28, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

:same:

I keep seeing people trying to justify it as Fog or "Clearly they have a cloaking device!", but I'm hoping the devs don't take the lazy way out and stick us with Superman 64 effects just because they can get away with calling a bad draw distance "immersive".

I don't need a lovingly rendered perfect model at all times, but an obvious visual indication that "Hey there's a goddamned mountain over there" from your lifepod would be great. Even if it was just a shadowy outline, rather than some faint graphical effect only a guy who already knew a mountain was there in the first place would ever take as an sign.

I again don't think that would be a good idea, both islands have a shitload of useful stuff on them that would make them strongly conflict with the shallows as a starting position.

The point of the shallows is they get you used to underwater, are safe, and have starting gear and resources in them. The islands don't have that balance but they both have resources you could use to live on, you just wouldn't make any actual progress.

I think it's much better if people don't discover them until later in the game, the game points you to both of them eventually because the ship tells you where the gun is, and the gun island teleports you to the other island. If you follow the plot stuff you should run across both but it's better if people get the idea they're going to be living in the ocean first. Putting two obvious landmasses visible is conflicting with that especially as both islands fit better a little later in the progression.

Start in the shallows, find or build a radiation suit, explore the aurora, that's the ideal progression in terms of making actual progress in the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

The problem is the multipurpose room. You can't get one from the aurora, so your only options are to find the various hidden bases, the easiest of which to actually get to is on the floating island. Without the multipurpose room your base is going to be ridiculous stretched out mess of corridors and you can't even build some stuff in those.

The multipurpose room could probably be added back into the starting set, or possibly could be added to the aurora.

But it's not super necessary, the only thing you're likely to find before the MPR is the bioreactor and assuming you're in the shallows, solar power is quite sufficient.

Everything else you can put in tubes or just live out of the lifepod. Bases are nice aesthetically but there's very little need for one until you start going deeper and are looking to start modifying vehicles. For that the MPR provides space-efficient food options and alternative power sources.