Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This looks like an awesome game. I bought it on sale yesterday, but I'm setting it aside until I get a Rift to play it on, since it looks like they had VR in mind throughout production. Can anyone who's had experience comment on how well this game handles VR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing the game in VR and have never played the game before. I saw my first Reaper while testing out my seamoth for the first time and immediately turned 180 and ran away full speed into a rock and exploded.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Powercrazy posted:

What's the progression like in this game? Do you start out a small insignificant escape bouy and then stay that way, or do you eventually get like a giant battleship and a crew etc? Basically do the mechanics of the game evolve, or is it more end-goal focused where you are trying to get home/figure out the mystery/etc?

Yeah you start off in an escape pod but eventually can build your own subaquatic science fortress and also can build a submarine that you can walk around inside of, which can even carry a smaller personal exploration craft.

My first playthru of this game has been using the Vive and it turned this game from a lighthearted waterworld sandbox to a full-on ocean phobia simulator. When im in deep dark water i have to sit indian-style in my computer chair for fear that something might get my legs

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This game was amazing in VR when I played it on the vive a couple years ago, but there were too many bugs in the VR mode that prevented me from progressing. Anyone have any idea how things are looking on the VR side of things these days?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

For some unknowable reason the UI for renaming your beacons doesn't work in VR and occasionally the neutral position for where you're actually looking tends to drift, but I loved my experience of Subnautica in VR. The limited arc of view even decently emulates the feeling of wearing a diving mask.

I didn't mind any bugs that had work arounds such as the camera drifting and not being able to save (just had to play on hardcore mode where the game saves on exit). But once I got the Cyclops the game started to fall apart. I couldn't dock my seamoth into the Cyclops and also when I was inside the Cyclops the interior textures would become transparent, making walking around the hull impossible. There was some other stuff too, like movement speed while walking inside bases was really slow while in VR for some reason. Sounds like the more game breaking stuff like that is better off now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

I had absolutely none of those issues.

OK, so sometimes docking my Prawn or Seamoth into the Cyclops would launch the Cyclops 20 meters up and leave me sitting in the water where the Cyclops used to be, but as far as I know that's a physics bub and happens without VR, too.

Okay cool, thanks for the info. I haven't touched my vive in a year, and coming back to check out subnautica to play with all the new additions is probably the only thing that would get me back into it. Hopefully the frame rate is still manageable on VR since they did the graphics update. I'm a bit weary of how many on the forums seem to complain about draw distance issues when that kind of stuff isn't just noticable, but pretty obnoxious in VR. Only way to find out for sure if to jump in