Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Finally picked up this game and it is a good game.

Chiming in that the non-lethal approach to weaponry definitely enhances the experience. At first I found it annoying how hard it was to kill things but then I just took on the 'loot and scoot' mentality of picking things up and suddenly the only things I wanted to kill were predators that wouldn't get off my case :argh:
And that apparently is a bug. So that's good.

Also gently caress sea satans. THREE SEAMOTHS. THREE.

gnoma posted:

Escape Pod:
+Knife, O2 Tank, Fins, Radiation Suit, Welder (Titanium x2 , Quartz x2, Creepvine x4 , Creepvine Seeds x6, Salt x3, Crash Powder x1, Lead x2)
This is all you need to repair the Aurora. Going to the Aurora early is good because you can get 4 Power Cells and 4+ Batteries which will save time and resources once you start building your base and vehicles. You can't do anything at the Aurora until it blows up in the middle of the second day, so stick around the shallows and kelp forests until then and gather supplies and scan things for your first base. Crash Powder comes from little guys that chase you and blow up in the caves.

One additional thing about going to the Aurora I've noticed in my many respawn trips there: you'll want to explore up by the prow a bit, either from the inside or through the wreckage from the outside. The key here is to get a message about 'extensive debris fields.' That seems to be a spawn trigger for tons of mini-wrecks around the crash site, where you can pick up more supply boxes. Sometimes they're there beforehand, sometimes they're not, but when you get that message they are definitely there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure when it's exploded and in pieces you can't weld that together. In pieces as in 'it's been grabbed, it's probably at 0, it's exploded... And the reaper is coming straight at me through the explosion.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Repulsion gun, send them on a trip.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Meanwhile I just dealt with a reaper that was phasing through the ground and generally being a menace.
Normally I would have left him alone, but he was guarding freaking 5 box wrecks next to the Aurora :catstare: I wanted that stuff.

Two full-charge pulses of the seamoth's personal defense field later, and I have a bunch of batteries, health kits and a couple of power packs. Absolutely worth it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The limit is per specific piece of tank. If you have a 3-high Large Aquarium, you have a limit of 30.

Also Rabbit Rays might be able to get around the limit somewhat since they lay eggs and I'm not sure the eggs are counted as part of the limit. Once your actual number of rays hits the limit though they should stop laying eggs, but any eggs already out will still hatch.

Or they might ignore the limit, I know I had to clean out my creepvine aquarium of gasopods, stalkers and rabbit rays because holy cow rabbit rays were everywhere in that thing. Moved a whole bunch of them into a single tank (and like, 3 lockers animal sizes are glitchy) and had no problems.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The biggest tip for a completely new player is: don't refine materials until you need to with the sole exception of metal salvage -> titanium. Nothing in the game uses metal salvage, quite a lot of things use titanium. The base materials are very handy to have around.

Crash powder can also be kinda hard to find for a welder to fix the lifeboat. Crash powder can be found in caves where suicidal explosive pufferfish live. They're mainly red with a yellow eye and you'll get a warbly urrrrrr when you're close enough to a crash home for it to activate.
Swim away from the fish until they explode (preferably only one fish) and go back to the shell of their home to find the powder.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Solomonic posted:

I wonder if I could figure out a way to build some kind of skyscraper type setup that rose above the water. One tower should be pretty easy but I gotta figure out how to make more and then connect all the stuff without plummeting a thousand miles into the surf.

I mathed out something like this. For one tower you'll need two 'scaffolding' towers in order to build upward, one being the actual tower of multipurpose rooms, the other being a giant vertical connector for instant ground level resource access, and the third being Foundations that you step out on in order to build upwards. There's even a super-shallow plateau with enough room to pull it off on.

But it will be annoyingly arduous because it's really easy to place things below you and rather hard to place them above you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Section Z posted:

See also: Scanning items that scan fast vs the ones that scan slow. And also how it takes the same time and battery power to build a Multipurpose room, hatch, and fabricator as it does to build a single Medkit dispenser which takes ages to build because ???

Medkit dispensers take ages to build because they always have a medkit ready to go once they're built. It's to prevent you from deconstructing/building them to stock up on a million free medkits quickly.

I prefer the charge fins to the ultraglide fins because if I need to go somewhere fast I use the seaglide and any time a tool gets low I pop it out and replace it with a full one in the charger. Charge fins keep every tool of mine except the Seaglide and Laser Cutter at 100%. Heavy use of the Repulsion gun tossing annoyances away can chew through power and I haven't stun gunned much but hey, that's four tools. Every charger has four slots. Works out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Got my Cyclops and basically obsoleted every resource in the game, I've been thinking of ways to keep everything relevant and more interesting.

- Fix recharger inside Cyclops so it's power is now finite
- Allow Cyclops to recharge by drawing power from base or trickle solar cells
- The seamoth is way more practical for exploration, so gate it's access to the deep via a different method than crush depth. Give it a deeper crush depth and make it's O2 finite and restored via surfacing, cyclops or moonpool. Maybe the exosuit will fill this niche though.
- Trees should grow fruit slower and/or require water. Maybe they need a high power drawing light to function so you'd only plant them in bases where you have spare power.

The Power Cell Recharger in the Cyclops is likely an unintended oversight (or an intended work-around) since the cyclops has 4 module slots and only 2 (3 counting the pressure upgrade) modules. Seamoth recharging in it seems to be 1-1, even with the power conservation module.
It's likely that it will have the same general gamut of upgrades as the Seamoth and once it gets them they'll probably adjust the power cell thing.

With the addition of the Exosuit and the Cyclops only having one port I envision the Seamoth being something of a base-to-base transport and shallow explorer while the Cyclops will be your deep-sea Exosuit transport and 'HERE THAR BE SEA SATANS' exploration vehicle.

I'm fine the way fruit are currently because while they are an excellent source of food and water, they're not a portable source of it and I'm betting the exosuit is going to have similar storage to the Seamoth, which means you'll need to bring your own stuff. Which means salted fish and big filtered waters for long exploration.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Power Cell charger inside the cyclops keeps it topped up forever.
The charger in your base keeps it going without strenuous use.

The only time I have burned through two cells before thinking to recharge them is with heavy fabricator use and recharging the Seamoth from clearing out the crash site to make a few dozen titanium and plasteel ingots (Seamoth charging was from telling the Sea Satans to :frogout: with point defense,) so even if they fixed the Cell charger right now I would have absolutely no worries with powering it. It doesn't consume enough power as it is, especially since you're given it's power saving mod for free.

There's one main reasons to always come back to your base that you can't replicate in the Cyclops: Water Filtration. It wouldn't surprise me if the end game tech level was based around salted food and big filtered waters rather than the fruit and stillsuit combo that makes it pretty easy. I'm finding myself getting more and more annoyed at stillsuit water as I use the space to stock up on resources.

Then again I also have two shallow bases with thermal power plants and 2-4x Water Filters in them so Big Filtered Waters are getting pretty attractive as a main water source.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 21, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Met posted:

What modules do you guys use for the seamoth?

-Solar Charger
-Max Depth
-Hull Integrity
-Radar

Can't imagine replacing any of those. It's my explorer.
I have two general builds, pre and post cyclops.

Pre-Cyclops:
-Max Depth (duh)
-Power Efficiency
-Perimeter Defense/Storage
-Sonar

Post-Cyclops:
-Max Depth
-Storage
-Perimeter Defense/Torpedo System (if only torps reliably worked on the super electric eels)
-Sonar

Mostly because once I have the cyclops, I drive the cyclops to a location and then use the seamoth for scuttling far away to maximize my inventory space.

U.T. Raptor posted:

First they need to make it so the drat water filtration system doesn't use the base's entire power supply to function.
Use more generators, preferably thermal generators. Here's a quirk I've noticed with how power works that makes sense but isn't immediately obvious: things don't generate power equally.

Solar Panels and Thermal Generators generate power faster, but have low capacity.
Bioreactors and Nuclear reactors generate power slowly, but have tons of capacity.

Here's the kicker: you can combine types of power to get the benefits of both. So 3x Thermal and a Nuke will get you 650 capacity with a recharge of 300 per minute (according to the wiki.)

Water filters drain power constantly until they're full (or you're out of juice.) Thus you either need an insane capacity with downtime (A single Nuclear Reactor can keep two water filters going but is more suited to a small outpost that you visit occasionally) or generation to match the consumption (one thermal generator can run two water filters if you let it build up to capacity first, or supplement with a Solar Panel.)

My main base is 3x Thermal, 2x Solar and 1x Bioreactor with 4 filters and I'm still waiting for the bioreactor to empty so I can shove more dilapidated non-food-fish into it.
My secondary base is 4x Thermal, 2x Solar and has 6 filters going in it, with no problems (unless I fab a bunch of things but uhhhhhh that's always a problem.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 22, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Section Z posted:

EDIT: I admit my mindset is "Even if it works, I'm not comfortable watching my power meter struggle to run a single appliance"

Meanwhile my mindset is 'My power should only be at max when I'm not using it and it should only be near empty when I'm REALLY using it.' It's kinda fun finding a balance like that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

As long as the Hull Integrity remains above 0, you can build whatever structurally unsound monstrosity you want and super-future technology will triumph over the laws of physics and water pressure.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Medkits are free and plentiful. Lantern Fruits are still what they are now (an infinite, inefficient food/water source,) just moreso.

You want more efficiency, gotta salt some peepers/reggies and bring 'em with you. Or mini-aquarium them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Section Z posted:

Well, if just the ones in the screenshot got hatches? 24. That's not even enough to fill a wall locker :shepface:

Counting the glass corridors though?

128 quartz just for that square section. (including the 24 for hatches, 108 spent on the corridors and the window at the end of that t junction.)

Also two lithium bulkheads to support it. (I see 4 on one tower, that's tons of hull integrity for stuff like this.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Solid Poopsnake posted:

You can also do this near the Aurora with a Seaglide, a bunch of extra batteries, two O2 cans, and a lot of patience.

E: And no sooner said than I found two more Seamoth fragments. Yay submersibles!

It's nowhere near the same volume. For example, with the Cyclops and Seamoth (for shooing away pesky reapers/general scuttlebutt) you go to the Crash Site for titanium and all the ingots you need to fully upgrade the dive modules on the cyclops/Seamoth.
IIRC that's somewhere around 300 titanium. (15 plasteel ingots plus a locker or two of titanium, maybe some additional titanium ingots but I forget.) And I only cleaned out the shallow side of the Aurora, I didn't even touch whatever's at the bottom of the sheer falloff on it's south side.

That's how much quartz you can pull from one of the blood kelp zones (and there's TWO zones.)

Edit: Your next step in the story is checking out the signals you've probably picked up from around the Aurora and seeing if they lead you to any abandoned seabases.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

If you upgrade the Seamoth with the defensive system, does it function in a radius around the Seamoth so you can park it and keep an area safe? There's a wreckage where I need to cut open a door but it's guarded by two Stalkers.

Also, I've been to afraid to try, does depth do damage to yourself? I have the depth upgrade for the Seamoth, if I dive to 300 m and get out will I get squished by the pressure? I got out for a short wile at around 200 m once and the depth indicator was red but it didn't seem to do anything.
The Defense System is activated and works as a giant pulse. Holding down the trigger increases the radius and potency of the electric pulse, up to around 25% of a cell for maximum 'gently caress YOU SEA SATAN!'

At the moment there is no depth damage to yourself because your swimsuit is magical super-science. You will take damage by virtue of your Seamoth blowing up but that's it.

Also be pretty thorough with checking out wrecks. Every instance of cutting open a door I've found simply makes it easier to get around/into and out of a wreck rather than being strictly required. (Sometimes you might need the grav gun to get your other option but there's always another option.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bring a seaglide too since big wrecks tend to have some weird effect on slowing movement down when you're in/near them. I haven't had need of a dive reel (I have good visual memory and navigation skills) but that's what's killed me most when exploring the larger wrecks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

According to that list, this change seems to be one that's for the sake of realism rather than gameplay, all of the minute+ times are on tools and other large items.

It makes sense why it would take a couple minutes to make something bigger but the only gameplay reason it serves is to slow down the whole loop. Especially the 4 minute build time on the constructor. That's just mean.

Fruit nerf at least supports other game systems (curing and filtering big waters) but this is just going to have people run 2 fabs in their bases rather than 1.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Truga posted:

Just build more fabs. :v:
The kick in the junk is that you have to wait 4 minutes before you can build your first fab, or anything for that matter :v:

After that it is suitably irrelevant though.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Craft time changes are loving terrible. Utterly pointless.

Crafting time by itself is becoming more and more a legacy thing that devs seem to throw in there instead of thinking how it can enhance the experience.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Met posted:

You should make a quick account over there and post that. I'll post it if you don't want to but I'd like to have more voices in there where the devs can see it.

I did this when I realized that they already have a good example of using realistic crafting times to aid gameplay: the medkit fab.

So I posted my thoughts and pointed out the medkit fab connection.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One of the big changes of the last content patch was a bed that you could lay down in (while wearing full SCUBA gear still) and stare at the ceiling, so maybe the dev is just nuts and thinks waiting is fun

Even that has gameplay applications in sprucing up your base to make it seem like a place someone would live in/work. Even in minecraft there's a bunch of tricks to make your builds seem like a place to live that have little effect on it's practical purpose.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 12, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

resting bort face posted:

Man, that No Man's Sky game turned out to be a real bust. Time to rub a little salve on my wounds with the better exploration game, Subnautica. Let's see what the devs are up to.

Shoot me in the face.
Stable version is a great experience. Experimental is experimental. Complain, be vocal about it, that's how feedback systems work.

Section Z posted:

It's only fair when THEY do it, after all.

That post (and poster) is so dumb for this stance that this sentence is the only response I deem worthy of commenting about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

I mean the timers don't look that long? The longest tend to be for the high-tech craftables like Seaglide and stasis rifle taking ~4 minutes. The second most complex items are a minute and a half each, and I rarely build more than one scanner/flashlight/welder. Then everything else changed is still under ~8 seconds. Yeah I guess it's pretty inconveniencing for us who have done this before but they probably did it for immersion reasons.

You only build one constructor, but while it is building you cannot build anything else. You can't cook food, you can't purify water, you can't refine materials, you have to wait for it to build.
And a lot can happen in four minutes.

Everything else is immaterial because you can just build more fabs to deal with the increased time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

StrangeAeon posted:

So, uh... do Reapers sound different up close? Like, striking range close?

Because if not I just had a near-brush with something else.

The closest things that sound like Reapers (before you figure out the differences) are Screaming Sharks (Shark Screamers? Something scream in the name.) They're fast but they don't instakill you and they bump harmlessly off of the Seamoth most of the time.

Edit: Bone Sharks! That's what they are technically called.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 19, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is exciting, I wonder how hard it will be to make

I'd be expecting Lithium/Plasteel Ingot(s) as it's main ingredient. I'm more interested in what it can dig up (assuming that's getting put in along with it.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I would think you'd want to do it as soon as possible before you've added even more to the map that needs to be converted over.

Actually the biggest obstacle is in base building. Placing base parts does quite a bit of terraforming so they have to go over each part and remove/decouple the code for it and adjust how they're placed, then test for as many edge cases as they can.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

They have already started on removing it from the game, in the stable version you cannot left click 'dig' in the sand anymore.

Also, tech is a bit more annoying to find, being relegated to wrecks mostly. Need a grav gun to get into the Aurora, having a hard time finding one in it's usual haunts. Wrecks are also a bit more of a pain to get into: smaller ones you can still generally explore without any tools but for bigger ones some of the green doors have been turned uninteractable. Which means I really need to find the freakin' grav gun :shepicide:

Truga posted:

I've had very little pop in issues in the previous build. Is it bad again or is my PC just almost good enough?
The latter most likely. It's especially egregious when a Sea Satan pops in about 20 meters in front of you because they're apparently last on spawn priority.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've made the anti-radiation suit and started a small base; what should my next step be? Exploring the Aurora, or doing the trek to Floating Island for the base scans there?
Now that you need the grav gun in order to actually get into the Aurora, go to the Floating Island and scan the bases. That'll get you the multipurpose room and while fruit has been nerfed, potatoes are great both for food and bioreactor use. Also if you keep an eye out on the seafloor as you travel you'll probably pick up a couple of Grassy Plateau techs (battery/power cell charger, Water Filtration) that supplement what you get.

You can still go to the Aurora to get the supply boxes for batteries, signals and power cells but that'll be it.

Met posted:

It's gotten harder to make a base. No more Multi-purpose rooms to start. I made a single corridor to stuff lockers in.

I'm not sure if it's because my lifepod happened to be in a different area than my last playthrough, but does the safe shallows seem significantly different to anyone else?
It's your lifepod starting position. The biggest change I've noticed is Crash fish eggs instead of empty (or filled with powder :argh:) crash homes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's also the Scanning Room, though that has it's own issues. Mainly plonking down a base and power supply somewhere in order to get a scan when most of the time you can see as far as it can scan.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You need it to get into there in the first place and there's an area or two where it comes in handy even if you have to finagle it.

Otherwise you should have most of the fire extinguishers you need if you bring the one you got in your escape pod.

Then it's just a welder, a laser cutter, a spare battery, a medkit or two and you're golden. There's so much stuff in the aurora I had to drop my Seaglide and come back for it later in order to get everything I wanted in one run (I wanted some of the silly froo froo items because they're unique in there.)

Oh yeah, in the living quarters there's two locked doorways. There is no code for the farther doorway, don't bother looking. It's to be added.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still wish there was a machine we could feed a bunch of fish or plants into and it all gets processed into those Nutrient blocks that the lifepod has.

Also, I've seen surprisingly little talk of the PRAWN Exo suits so far. Has no one gotten around to building one yet?

They're decently fun so far, I need to play a bit more with them. They really nailed the feel of you being in a suit though with the animations and sounds.

Here's what I do know on details for it:

The Drilling arm basically gives you access to a ton more resources. Everything you can mine will drop around 6-8 items of whatever it is if you mine it all out. Doesn't take that long either.
The Claw arm punches like a mofo and the Exosuit has insane hp. Taking a couple of full charge zaps from the electric eels barely did anything to it's HP and welding it up from 85 or so took about twice as long as it does the seamoth.
The claw arm also picks stuff up, but it's a little slow and janky (because you're in a suit, it's a good slow jankyness.) It directly deposits it into the Exosuits personal storage bin though.
I have the Grappling arm blueprint but I need to find something to make the poly-whatever material it needs. Main concern about the arms is that the drill arm can't pick up stuff, so I'm curious if the claw arm is the only thing that can. That kind of limits your arm options.

Speaking of, you can only install ONE storage module on the exosuit and have it take effect. I tried a few different configurations but you only get one storage module added on to the built in storage, for a total of like, 5x6 storage space IIRC (up from something like 4x5?)
Base dive depth is 900 meters, that's a lot.
Instead of having a solar recharge module it uses thermal energy instead. Haven't had any issue at all though since it rocks out with two power cells to start.
Base jump jets give you a decent amount of movement too, I have the module to buff them but that needs Sulphur.

Unlike the Seamoth it's kind of annoying to access the storage when it's docked to the cyclops because it's a storage 'backpack' and that's too high up to really reach.
Your exosuit lights are always on with no option to turn them off, but they're non-spolights so there's no reason to do that.
Finally, you can rename and recolor it at an Upgrade Station equipped Moonpool.

I need one more fragment in order to get the blueprint for a torpedo arm, but my guess is you'll have two general arm Exosuit loadouts: one for mining (drill arm and claw) one for exploring (grapple arm, claw/torpedo arm.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 29, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sekenr posted:

Is there maybe an up to date starting guide?

As Met said guides kind of ruin the point, but here's a minimalistic outline:

Build your basic tools and equipment (knife, scanner, O2 tank, fins etc.) Fix the Escape Pod so you can use it as a stable landmark. Keep checking Crash Homes even if you see lots of eggs, powder will happen eventually.
Hit up the Floating Isle for everything you can scan, along with some potatoes and maybe a fruit to plant. Seaglide recommended
Build a base. Build a Laser Cutter.
If you want giant aquariums for breeding fish and growing kelp etc. hit up the Koosh Zone wreck.
If you want to hit up the Aurora, build a Propulsion Cannon (mushroom forest wreck) grab your Radiation Suit and Welder and go do that. Seamoth recommended.
After that the Ocean is your oyster, check wrecks for tech, have fun in an Exosuit, find the Inactive Lava Zone, do whatever.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Do you sit in it a lot? I've done a pretty large circle of the map (Aurora, Floating Islands, Crabsquid Central, Koosh Zone) on a single charge and had plenty to get back to my base. This was just putt putting about though, no solar charger, no personal defense field.

The grates are now pretty solidly capped on wrecks and the only doors the propulsion cannon worked on before were the ones you could already open manually and there's significantly less of those in each wreck now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

No, that debris field has always had issues if it's the one I'm thinking of.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's some funkyness with the arm parts. I needed 2 for Drill Arm, 2 for Grapple, 3 for Torpedo arm. Still haven't found my last torpedo arm part and I've searched every wreck on the map, plus all the ones I have searched are now strangely empty even though I know I left some parts behind.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

To get a bit technical, there's one, probably two points where Stalker Teeth spawn: when a stalker picks up metal salvage and when it drops it. So whenever you're around stalkers and metal salvage, keep an eye out for them. When a stalker picks up some salvage, swim down near it and check for teeth.

Now that you know you'll need it, if/when you start a new game you can do this while looking for other things in the kelp forest. Just keeping an eye out during my normal putting around netted me 13 stalker teeth one game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's three things the Seamoth has over the Prawn: Mobility, the Personal Defense Field of Electric Ownage, and the Radar.

Prawn is right fun and drilling stuff gives you a TON of resources though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dyz posted:

I usually ignore them entirely if I have something to do and they haven't bothered me in 99% of cases. In the other 1% they attack me until they decide to use the teleport which usually transports you or them outside of their aggression range.
This is your number 1 goto strategy for dealing with Predators. Generally if you GTF away from them they won't mess with you. When you do have to mess with them, you want to be quick about it (unless you have the tools to deal with them.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

When I'm looking for the last fragment I need to make the Moonpool, 2 Titanium is not a very good consolation prize. It is an ok source of titanium but it pales in comparison to being able to make a key structure/thing.
Especially after the 5th time.

As for the mountain island, it is a neato place but I'm glad there's more to it now. Climbing up it to find nothing I didn't already have a locker full of kind of killed my enthusiasm for it. Especially since the 'sweet view' aspect is only the Aurora, water, and mid-air junk :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Paracelsus posted:

Seamoth is faster and better at getting back up out of places that it has gone down into. There's less point in taking it in the Cyclops, but on its own it's much more flexible.

It's also better for GTFO-ing non electric things with it's defense field. That and it's speed make it great for 'loot n' scoot' runs of whatever you need that it can get to.