Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Unless something changed recently it shouldn't drift. I built my first ever base just below it when I first started playing and the pod never budged for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I haven't played in awhile, are the other leviathans in yet or just the reaper still?

I actually hope not, the deep dark places are already unnerving as gently caress sometimes.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 17, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

dylguy90 posted:

Not yet and that's a goddamn shame but it's fun to mess with fellow thalassophobes

It's less that I'm the gently caress THE OCEAN type and more that I had a bad experience with a reaper and the idea of bigger poo poo makes me fear for my cyclops' safety. I knew that the reaper would attack the seamoth so I got the idea to get out of it and use outcrops and poo poo to avoid getting eaten.

Except as I swam away the reaper grabbed my empty seamoth, raised it from the seabed and slammed it back down, shattering it to pieces and leaving me in very dangerous waters with no ride. :(

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, their artists are fantastic.

I hope they consider dropping the depth of the shallows and increasing the size of the map somewhat if they're going to add sea treaders, the first few biomes already feel really crowded.

I think I read something about the actual map at release is supposed to be several square km.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 18, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

dylguy90 posted:

I had the exact same experience, I still remember it vividly. Something about the way the Reaper grabbed the Seamoth made me go NOPE and hop out. Fortunately there was a little hole below me that I swam into as the Leviathan swam off with my Seamoth. 10/10 would fear the deep again. Now THAT is the kind of thing they need more of in the game, not sea mushroom farming or whatever the hell they just put in.

Hell I wasn't even in my moth. When he grabbed it. I thought since it was empty and had the lights off he'd focus on me. Instead he was like "lol you idiot fucker its not even moving" and snatched it up to slam onto the seabed like he was spiking a football.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Elderbean posted:

What's the quickest way to get power? I want to get my own base/fabricator up.

Personally I usually only go solar/thermal. But if that's not possible then I go nuke.

E: sorry realize you were prolly talking about your first base. Go solar. I forget where the fragments for it are though, kelp forest maybe? But as far as I know, only solar and thermal don't require fuel, location is important since solar won't work in the deep dark and thermal needs a lava vent.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 19, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Iznogood posted:

Well wadayaknow just found my seamoth! It was burried under the sand. The loving thing almost killed me too when I dug it up. It jumped out of the sand on my head. Now I have two seamoths. Oh well !

If you want to get rid of one it's as simple as going and hanging out with a reaper! He'll give you a great big hug too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If I had to choose one thing to add it'd be the ability to recharge the cyclops via relays. Honestly it just makes perfect sense. It ain't too bad to manufacture power cells but still. I'd totally build bases that're basically recharge/resupply stations with thermal/solar/nuke power, along with small-scale farming and a water purifier.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 21, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Akion posted:

Yeah, I got stuck in this loop. No moon pool =/= can't upgrade seamoth to find moon pool parts.

I just took the moth down to just above it's crush depth over the grand reef and swam from there. I had a repulsion cannon or stasis rifle with me and managed to get what I needed. Got dicey a few times though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lemon-Lime posted:

Incidentally, you can't harvest stuff from inside the Cyclops, right? How are you supposed to grab stuff beyond suit crush depth?

Unless something has changed since I last played, I don't think the player can die from depth. I used to dive well below the record for how deep a human can dive,as well as well below the tolerance of a seamoth packed full of upgrades for depth.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dyz posted:

Had one spawn in front of me while looking for seamoth fragments.

Luckily I ran for cover, *then* poo poo my pants.

Here's a man with his priorities straight.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Found the mod station and filtration units in the koosh! I'm basically set to be "done" for a while once I check out it's recipes.

So here's a question: If you could choose any one material in the game to find a crate absolutely full of, what would it be?

For me, it would be silver, hands down. There's just never enough of it, and it gets used in so many recipes!

Until there's another way of charging the Cyclops I'm gonna say copper due to power cell production.

e: I still want the ability to build mining rigs on deposits of various metals and minerals.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

New update!

Battery and Power Cell charging stations. Also the sea treader is in and produces resource rocks and poops that work in bioreactors. I'm super stoked about the charging stations since hopefully that'll end the never-ending cycle of battery/cell production.

They also made gas torpedoes produced using gasopod fart orbs which I'm hoping will be somewhat lethal.

They also added beds which is cool. I've always set up a room with a small aquarium of fish, potted non-edible plants, a desk and chair, bench etc. Now a bed in there too will make it a proper bedroom. It will no longer seem like you're playing and insomniac that never closes his eyes ever like some kind of freak.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Xanderkish posted:

If I can't use them to kill a Reaper by firing wildly in their general direction while crying, I'm not interested.

Dude my reaper philosophy is if the reaper wants it, he can have it. Like I posted earlier in the thread one time I got out of my moth and swam around in tight spaces figuring it'd leave my moth alone. Instead if grabbed my empty seamoth and slammed it into the floor like it was spiking a football, breaking it into pieces, and swam off casually like "lol get hosed bitch."

After that, reapers can have whatever they want in my book.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Three-Phase posted:

Neat game but it seriously needs auto save. Saving when you enter an airlock would be nice.

Does anyone know how long the uranium fuel rods last in the reactor?

A full load of fuel will produce 1000 energy according to the wiki. I don't know it distributes that usage across the four fuel rods though. I'm assuming it burns them one at a time though because I've never had my nuke go completely empty, just needs a new rod every now and then. But basically if a nuke is your only power source and it has a full load, it will last until you use (and thus it replenishes) 1000 power. If it really does burn rods one at a time then it needs one every 250 power produced.

I wish I know what order energy is used in. Like in my main base I've got solar, bio, and nuke built in that order. I'm hoping my base depletes solar, then bio, then nuke, as each power source contributes a portion of your base's capacity. But I don't know. I wish you could see how much power is left in each unit of fuel (bio or nuke) or even better, could manually set priorities when it comes to power usage.

E: lol dude it's like anything nuclear brings us like moths to the flame

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 20, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

That's why I had started bringing the retractable line with me into caves. The problem was when it would fall through the map and I'd end up with a line to nowhere.

I always wondered about that tool but never got around to testing it. Does it help pull you out or is it just the proverbial bread crumb trail?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Three-Phase posted:

On a serious note I have been reading about diving in "overhead environments", basically anywhere where you cannot just swim up to get to the surface. One major killer are silt-outs. A diver kicks up a ton of fine silt even in the entrance area of a cave, cannot see their hand in front of their face, get disoriented (including swimming into a cave instead out of), panic, and run out of air.

If Subnautica added silt-outs that would add a whole new level of danger.

You godamn monster.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

What if we are allowed to develop silt bombs to throw them down and run like a frightened baby Ninja from Reapers?

I already accomplish this by making GBS threads my pants as I flee.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Promontory posted:

There is a lot of satisfaction in getting a Seamoth built and watching bleeders fruitlessly bang their heads against the glass.

The sandy area with the sand sharks and bleeders is still a bit ridiculous though. I still have to jump out of the sub to scan stuff, but I only have a few seconds before sharks and bleeders come after me. Can you build a scanning tool for subs?

Nope. Your best bet is installing perimeter defense on the moth and shocking the piss out of the area before exiting.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

dylguy90 posted:

Oh man you haven't lived until you've got a battery charger and two sets of seaglide batteries. How do you even collect resources?

Yeah I keep eight spare batteries for my tools, including the sea glide. Four are always on a charger and the other four are in my inventory, getting swapped for fresh ones every time I RTB. The sea glide is absolutely awesome and because of its speed I don't even really carry any defensive measures like the repulsion cannon or stasis rifle. I just pull up in the moth, discharge the perimeter defense a bunch of times, then jump out with the glide. The electricity scatters anything around (except shockers) and the glide gives me enough speed to stay out of reach of anything that comes back before I'm done.

The only time I use the stasis rifle is to get past hanging stingers in caves and I never use the repulsion cannon.

Cubey posted:

Crab Squids freak me out a hell of a lot more than the Reaper

Noticed this from earlier and loving yes. I hate those goddamn crabsquids, they're exceedingly creepy and they hit like a loving truck if they get a piece of you. Plus I have a hard time hearing what little noise they make so I find them to be bad for getting the drop on me.

I am also terrified by the upcoming warpers. God they're gonna suck.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Are you guys sure about the multiple O2 tanks thing? Last time I played I didn't see an increase in capacity from having multiples, but I did find that tanks save their O2 level and can be swapped for a fresh one.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

Tank stuff

drat I'll have to look again. When I first played this I used to keep multiple tanks but the last time I played it wasn't working that way. Maybe I was catching some kind of weird bug.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

Plus there are cool things like battery chargers and power cell chargers, which I can't imagine how people got by before they existed.

Liberal use of the charge fins and near-constant power cell manufacturing. drat kids don't know how good they have it these days! :corsair:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah these days I head for the island really early and go full vegan. Gonna ride this gravy train as long as I can.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

It does seem kind of broken that you can just plant one fruit tree in your base or on the cyclops and that's your food (and most of your water) taken care of forever.

I can't imagine it won't be heavily adjusted eventually. It's not really that hard to keep fish for the same purpose but holy poo poo plants are def gonna be the way to go until they change how that poo poo works.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

double nine posted:

So how do I make a water purification machine, do I need a blueprint from somewhere?

Yup. They're power hungry as hell though. I actually only use mine for the occasional bit of salt, but I've also usually got four different power sources and a huge capacity.

And even the salt is only used until I've got the cyclops. Once I have that I keep plants on board and always have the cyclops nearby as a mobile base. If I'm very deep in (like caves) I build an outpost for recharging/food purposes.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

If you want to get technical the actual best way to solve h20( and food) needs is planting a single hanging fruit tree in your cyclops/bases. The fish in your aquarium are just window dressing for your creepvine seed cluster farms.

This game is very light on the whole survival thing after the first few hours

Pretty much this. Subnautica is only thing that's ever made me consider being vegan a preferable option.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

double nine posted:

So I know everyone hates the reapers but my personal bane of existence are the stupid Crash explosions. gently caress those PITAs.

Stasis rifle works wonders here. Also the seaglide can outrun them.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cyclops cameras are extremely cool and useful. I also like being able to turn off the lights and just enjoy a bioluminescent view every now and then (like the koosh zone). I often wish the lights could be turned on and off in bases too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cubey posted:

Grand Reef is a good place due to the black smokers everywhere. Build a base close to them, build a thermal reactor, and enjoy your limitless free energy.

I found a patch of the koosh zone that's volcanic as hell too. The shockers can be somewhat annoying sometimes but man those kooshes are just so drat cool.

I do like the grand reef though. Those balloon things and membrane trees rule. I wish I could put one of those balloons in my aquarium.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Well with the warpers that're coming I wouldn't say gate travel is entirely beyond possibility. Nothing like it is on the dev roadmap though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Passing through a hatch and back should do the trick, but that requires being able to reach one. It worked for me a long time ago.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

7c Nickel posted:

My current base perched around the rim of an active vent.

I use this exact location for my home base! It's really great. Close to all kinds of useful biomes and that vent rules. You'll need a relay to utilize the thermal vent though. You have good taste in locations, my dude.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I keep floating lockers for one reason: moth modules

When I get the cyclops and start really roaming I keep a couple floating lockers with seamoth modules and torps. When I pull up somewhere to use the seamoth I drop those lockers outside to use as kind of a mobile mechanic bay to tailor the moth for what I'm doing.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

That is a really, really good use for them. And reminds me how much I wish I could access the cargo pods on a Seamoth while it's docked in the Cyclops.

How do you store them when they already have items in them (It's never let me when I've tried. Maybe I'm just misclicking somehow)? Or do you mean you leave them outside in areas you frequent as a stand in for moonpools?

EDIT: *loads game* Oh you mother fuckers. Why wouldn't you ever let me pick you up when I had a bunch of you outside my lifepod :argh:

Lol. I keep them in lockers right near the cyclops hatch. The downside is floating lockers are huuuge so you can only fit one of them in a wall locker.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I want multipurpose rooms shaped like the moon pool.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

Ah ok, they probably changed that when they changed the seamoth fragments to actual pieces of it instead of the grey boxes.

Nah it's been that way as long as I've been playing, which was before large aquariums and planters and poo poo were added.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

While going through the dunes from the sea treader path up to the mushroom forest, I saw three reapers at once.

Yeah the Dunes freak me out. They're lousy with reapers, wide open space, weird freaky stone arches. I felt very exposed out there.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Haven't played since September and man I do like the latest update. I'm noticing a lot more polished flavor bits.

Also I got into a staring match with a mesmer just for the hell of it and son of a bitch it made my suit or PDA or whatever say all kinds of creepy poo poo. gently caress.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The edge where the world drops off to nothing freaks me right the gently caress out. I can't shake the feeling that some nameless horror is going to lurch out of the black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

I got to the mountain on my new save; and man the change to the Seaglide makes life so much easier. I ran into my first warper...who actually zapped me in front of a node with a diamond in it! Thanks buddy! That saves me a lot of

*REAPER OUT OF loving NOWHERE*

:what:

Can warpers teleport stuff as large as reapers? He may have given you a present.