Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I haven't played much so I have absolutely no idea where poo poo like the Floating Island is, but after a decent sesh the other night I now have a rebreather, two high capacity oxygen tanks, the radiation suit (and helmet), and some other crap like recharging fins (and made the glide fins too just because) and the repulsion gun. But, I still can't find the goddamn moonpool fragments.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So far the deepest I've been is where the magnetite starts spawning and the nuclear reactor fragments start popping up, but it just seems like even with the expanded 135 oxygen tanks and a rebreather you just don't have enough time to explore thoroughly, and half of your time is a mad panicked dash either back to the Seamoth or the surface.

Direction-wise, I've figured out that "facing directly away from the Aurora" will get me to the deeper areas, and I've started marking spots with beacons.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Any idea why this thermal power plant isn't generating energy? It's right by a vent (I even tried putting it ON the vent) and the temperature is clearly more than enough to support a thermal plant. It reads 33 where I am but where the TPP is placed is ~60C. I figured setting up FOBs in a few places was a good idea but apparently the game doesn't agree.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 27, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

gnoma posted:

For visuals, I like the deep grand reef. Long glass hallways, multiple two-story aquariums, blood vines in external planters and a bunch of tank-bred ampeels released outside. Full on alien weirdness.

I'd like to see pics of this

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oasx posted:

The Seamoth has virtually unlimited power with the solar cells, can go fast and is much much more manoeuvrable, they should just find a way to combine it with the Prawn in sort sort of transformers style vehicle.

That would be awesome.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Met posted:

Foundations look poo poo too. Hull reinforcement wherever possible.

The main thing I've used foundations for is as a solar panel farm, and to make the part of my current "hanging off a cliff" base that is on the seabed.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah I have to agree, the sandsharks are way too numerous at the moment, and make going anywhere near the seabed rather troublesome, especially early on when the seabed is constantly <30 feet away.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My first several games I didn't even think about that.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Agreed. That's a whole lotta time and effort to get oneshotted by a reaper

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"player survival times exceeded halflife of francium-223. Survival tools and equipment debuffed accordingly."

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I haven't been able to get into Ark, and apparently most of the dinos require multi-hour taming efforts yawning into double digits

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

all good ideas.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

why is there no Jack Nicholson nodding eagerly going "yessss" emoticon

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

But having the metabolism of a diabetic hummingbird whose tools are made out of tinfoil and cardboard is the pinnacle of survival game design! :v:

I like the idea of honing a dulled blade. It's just replenishing another (invisibly draining) meter and it's something that people do in the real world but apparently the average survival game player would rather spend all day long doing busywork.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

scuba school sucks posted:

LOL if you can't circle-strafe four sandsharks to death with the basic knife.

username/post combo bonus

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It's still a lovely idea. It's a future submarine, not an 8 foot aluminium kayak

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:same:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

You pretty much summed up my own feelings and reasons for quitting perfectly there.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Truga posted:

Does the game support mods? If yes, you can just set the cyclops hit points to 2**64 and call it done.

Personally, I look forward to a better damage model for the cyclops, but I think repairing it from the wrecked state should only take a welder and a few batteries. Losing a seamoth hurts enough, and cyclops costs 6 of those teeth that are a bitch to get.

Stalker teeth? Feed a stalker a piece of titanium or lure it near a collectible piece of wreckage. Watch tooth fall out. Take tooth. Rinse. Repeat.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Truga posted:

I guess they fixed this finally. Every time I played people told me to do that, but it never seemed to work

Yeah, it can take some faffing around to do, evading it long enough for it to lose interest but not straying far enough that you can't see when/where the tooth falls.

Before I knew about this, in the early days I'd spend ages swimming around a stalker stabbing it in the mouth trying to get one to drop.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

7c Nickel posted:

Bonus fact! In addition to making a fuckload of noise that other subs could potentially pick up, cavitation fucks up the surface of propellers. A lot of sub development is build around avoiding it as much as possible.

This is something I'm glad Subnautica doesn't simulate.

Great, now you've mentioned this it'll end up being a "feature"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My post in the linked steam announcement page might have got a little more meltdowny than I intended but it sums my feelings up well enough. I'm done.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Digirat posted:

wtf they removed durability from the knife, that's awesome.

Yeah that's actually a genuine, for really reals quality of life improvement. I'm stunned.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Section Z posted:

I look forward to BBQ knife being a mainstay of my on the go diet without needing to make a brand new one every five minutes. Though I'm still hazy on what the difference between regular and hardened knife is right now except "It does 0.04 more damage per swing".

Good question. They should bump the damage on the hardened knife or reduce the number of swings required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

JFC posted:

[pure unmitigated filth]

it's so beautiful.