Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Can't be docked in the Cyclops either.

The little docking bay control console in the Cyclops let's you exchange modules/arms, access the docked vehicles inventory, and reload torpedoes. It's super useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

Can you actually sit in the chair? I had the same idea but it seemed like the desk kept preventing me from sitting down and I couldn't get the placement right.

General rule of thumb I've found with getting chairs to work when placing them where a normal human would, is to stand between the chair and let's say desk, then squeeze it in as close as you can before your own hitbox makes it unplacable. Placing it at an angle rather than head on helps as well, and is nice for that lived-in aesthetic.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

How much do people actually use the beacons. I've had them for a really long time but I feel so stingy with my inventory space that I never use them.

I would keep one or two on me or in prawn/moth when out and about, in case I found any neat points of interest or resource nodes or such. Also would pop down a temporary one at the entrance of every sizable cave I'd go into, cause I was playing with filmic colour correction on so things were dark and getting lost was a real hazard, specially when your in the prawn with it's lovely headlights and can't use the actually super useful wayfinder tool (Mainly cause it's beacons would emit light).

At the end of my latest run I had a good few dozen permanent beacons placed about.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Devian666 posted:

Wilter filtration also makes salt so having a stockpile of tube coral you could get 2 x 20 water + 4 x 30 water. Which should be enough to allow for considerable exploration time.

The filtration machine actually makes large water bottles now, which are 50 units each, so yeah, if you can power it your completely set for water.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

SugarAddict posted:

Does anyone know if hull reinforcement modules stack?

They do, but if if I'm remembering correctly hull reinforcement modules are actually quite shite. They don't make the vehicle more resistant to damage in general, they make it more resistant to damage from terrain collisions only. So, pretty much useless for the prawn, and only useful for the seamoth if your driving is garbo

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My problem with the Epic launcher is when I bought and tried to install Metro: Exodus on it, it would for some reason slowly eat up ALL my ram in the course of the dl/install. After the install finally finished, it'd be corrupted and wouldn't launch properly, and the only option presented to me was to delete everything and throw three more hours at it, during which I couldn't do anything else because it used all my memory. After the better part of a day trying and retrying, I refunded and have refused to touch the thing ever again. When I picked it up on steam recently, it A. Didn't require even a fraction of my memory to download and install and B. worked perfectly.

Like, this is definitely an edge case, but man, worst experience.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I really want a subnautica in space. A particularly matter dense/dark (maybe dark mattery?) region of space about the same size as the subnautica map where an interstellar exploration ship get's wrecked by a micro-blackhole or something sci-fictiony and you have to basically rebuild an escape ship and FTL transmitter from scratch. Instead of oxygen you have to constantly deal with extreme gravity from say an orbiting pulsar, temperature, and suit energy.

There is Breathedge, tho I have not looked at it in awhile so no idea if it's actually good ahahaha. It's tone is extremely comedic tho, for good or ill. It's sitting in my library till it hits 1.0, just like Below Zero.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/738520/Breathedge/

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I've never had an issue with steam recommending me garbage as well, tho I do have the 'anime' tag blacklisted in my preferences hah. The queue is usually half and half stuff I'd be interested in and stuff I wouldn't, with the occasional out of left field oddball that... isn't a bad thing to have show up? And that new-ish interactive recommender has been an absolute godsend for finding games.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Fangz posted:

Unless I guess if you use a whole bunch of spotlights or something.

They removed spotlights for some reason, which has upset me immensely. They were an absolute bitch to place properly but I loved them.

Also yeah, I can't use the big room alien containment, even though you can do neat poo poo with it (like two tanks on lower floor, one on top, all connected) because it's just so facking glossy it hurts my eyes and looks like poo poo and will prolly be such forever. Reminds me of the T section roof windows STILL having texture bugs as well as the windows put on scanner rooms being weirdly cloudy.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Talorat posted:

Only complaint is the Ice Worm mechanics felt a little eh. I think I would have rather it been that the thumpers distract the worm, rather than repel it, or maybe the thumpers have much longer battery life but the worms are way more fatal so you have to build a path to the objective using the thumpers. As it stood I basically would just ride around on my bike until a worm knocked me off, then quickly throw down a thumper and be on my way, which felt cheesy but was effective.

The Ice Worms just suck entirely once you figure out it's not actually a creature and is basically a bunch of func_triggers scattered over the map that play canned animations with timed hurtboxes when you enter them. Standing at the mouth of a cave and watching one do the exact same animation ten times in a row really breaks the illusion quick. As long as you keep moving in a straight line it's basically impossible to get hit since it can't adjust at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Duodecimal posted:

More weird base building chat:

If you stack large rooms, internal walls are very picky about being placed in the same spots on both floors. This affects outer wall intersections all the time it seems.

So, my plan to make a two-floor eight apartment barracks was dashed. Instead, I put in a basement level instead of a 3rd floor, so that my wall-less storage room was between the two apartment layers.

From my experimentation with this same problem, it's somehow the internal doors that cause this; remove the doors then you can place the walls on the other floor no problem, then replace the old doors. Doors won't block placement of other doors vertically, just the wall segments so it all works out in the end, albiet with an annoying order of operations for multi-level stuff.