Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have been on a bit of a suvival game kick recently, and I just started playing Subnautica yesterday. Previously I was playing Empryon: Galactic Survival and Ark. Compared to those two this game feel quite a bit more like a "structured" and singleplayer experience, which I am enjoying. The undersea is not your typical barren randomized survival area, its dense with interesting stuff to explore! There is a lot more focus on exploration and movement options in Subnautica, which I like. Small air tanks, flippers, advanced flippers, large air tanks, seaglide, etc. Every upgrade feels like a big accomplishment, and there are lots of them to find. I just built the Seamoth and my ability to explore has grown exponentially!

The music and atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, I love the Alterra AI (like hell I'm paying for that diamond :argh:). So far I have found lots of wrecked pods and stuff, but zero human corpses or living people. I expect I will not be seeing any at all. Corpses would ruin the atmosphere, and I don't expect I will be seeing any living NPCs. That would not fit either. Of course I found some kind of strange huge alien monolith, which I also was not expecting to see so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

They should do that anyway. Having a pilotable vehicle that you can walk around in the interior of is something I never knew I wanted so much in a game. Like, how has no one made a spaceship game like that yet??

AFAIK only Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen (lol) have that as upcoming features

They have, its called Empyrion: Galactic Survival! :D
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkmj3DuDgw

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I go out exploring in my Seamoth and I get another transmission. It turns out a passing cargo ship "The Sunbeam" has heard my call, and all I need to do is meet them at the rendezvous site in 30 min. Looks like I'm getting rescued! :downs: (I know the Sunbeam is hosed, I haven't unlocked half the poo poo in this game no way its ending now). I head over there and arrive with 20 min to spare, so I explore that alien monolith thing. I find a bunch of glowing cubes inside and one orb thing that's going nuts. I scan it and the AI calls it a "Doomsday Device" that can destroy the entire solar system :magical:. I find another machine that tells me I'm infected with some alien plague, and it wont let me shut off the weapon because I am infected?!

I book it back to my escape pod, I'm hoping I can maybe tell the Sunbeam that this planet is hosed and don't land right now? Nope no such luck. I wait for a while but there is no option to talk to the Sunbeam. I head back to the rendezvous site in time to watch the tower thing turn into a giant gun and shoot down my rescue ship. Oh well I guess there will be more titanium salvage around for me to use now? :(

This game is amazing!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meskhenet posted:

As someone that had to turn on cheat codes in order to zip through the tombraider 2 water level (on like a 22'' 1990's tv screen) I think i spent about 8 hours before even leaving the safe shallows.

I had to cheat when I was looting The Aurora. Twice in that place I ended up clipping through the terrain and falling into the "void world". Thank god for the console command that spawn you right outside of the Aurora entrance :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nullEntityRNG posted:

They love metal. Grab a few chunks of wreck and drop them a bit away from the pod. They'll run off together with it, typically.

I intentionally filled the creepvine area near the first escape pod with pieces of wreckage. When they play with the wrecks it makes them lose their teeth, makes for easy tooth farming!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's fixed, it's no longer a positive power loop.

The devs don't seem to mind breaking the laws of thermodynamics with potato reactors though :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They have also shamefully forgotten to model diabetes in their video game by allowing one to subsist solely on melons. MY IMMERSION :argh:

I assume those melons are genetically engineered by The Federation to be nutritionally complete.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just filled one multipurpose room full of potatoes. They grew the fastest so they were the lazy choice. A full room of them is way more than enough to run a bioreactor and feed yourself. It doesn't matter that the food/water ratio isn't balanced, you can just eat more potatoes to make up for the lack of water! :fork:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
These Peepers always look at me funny before I shove them into the replicator. Its making me feel kind of guilty. I am hoping there is some twist ending, like I escape the planet but it turns out the Peepers are sentient lifeforms and I am being charged in Federation court for genocide.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Uhh, have you gotten to the endgame yet?

I don't even know what the "end game" is. I've discovered a bunch of pods and other places (two land islands). I found a few dark secrets, but I am assuming this game gets even darker. Just a hunch. I only have the Seamoth right now at 300m depth, I haven't been able to build the mechsuit or big sub yet. I don't have the blueprints for the big sub, and I am currently looking for gels to make the mech suit.

Am I close to the end game? :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So as luck would have it I managed to find the last piece of the Cyclopes at the same time as I found the Gel pod thing I needed to make the Prawn suit. So far I had been pretty stingy in making my base, so I had a lot of extra resources ready. I had to clear out half a dozen storage lockers but I was able to build both of them at the same time! The suit seems annoying to use compared to the Seamoth, but I don't have any upgrades for it yet so we will see how it turns out.

The Cyclopes is fantastic. It reminds me of my first Capital Ship in Empyrion: Galactic Survival. I love that its basically a mobile base and you can build inside, and also has a docking port. Its a real shame it only has the one dock, and can't be fitted with a nuclear reactor or something to recharge the power cells. I wish I could take the Prawn Suit and Sea Moth at the same time, it is hard to choose which one is best to bring along :( I am thinking that I will disassemble most of my starter base and transfer it to the Cyclops, leaving only a shell of the base with some food/bio reactor and a power charger for the subs cells. Then I can make additional power stations in remote areas to operate out there more easily.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Prawn is basically the only real choice for the vehicle you dock in the Cyclops. The Prawn benefits immensely from having a taxi.

But its really slow, and it sinks to the bottom of the sea :( I want to take the Cyclops out with the Seamoth in it to gather resources in the remote areas that are far away from my current base (but still above 300m). I used up most of my resources building these things and I would like to replenish the stockpiles. I need to bring the Cyclopes because there is no storage in the Seamoth, I always end up with a full inventory long before I have gathered everything.

I mean I guess I could bring a Seaglide....

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 27, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
OK, I am a big enough man to admit when I was wrong. The Prawn Suit is loving awesome! It is not nearly as slow as I first thought. I was worried about getting trapped in deep holes, but the jump jets (even without upgrades) are very generous. I can easily navigate really deep trenches, and there are usually lots of ledges to jump on. Its actually faster to gather resources in the Prawn Suit vs the Seamoth. Jumping around is also kind of a more fun gameplay experience than just floating around. The fact that I don't have to get out all the time to pick up resources saves a heck of a lot of time, and the extra cargo space is fantastic. I was also able to punch those stalker fish in the face, which was satisfying :black101:

Cyclops + Prawn Suit really is the ultimate. Sea Moths can get lost! It really chews through the power though, recharging the suit and using the fabricator and moving around all the time. I am going to have to make a bunch of power stations around the map. I managed to transfer all of my loot from my starter base onto the sub, which gave me the opportunity to sort it :v: It took me quite a while to get it all into proper containers, I have never missed modded Minecraft so much.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 28, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falken posted:

'sup Mark Watney?

This is basically what I did :v: I did not realize just how productive planters are in this game so I went a little overboard on the potatoes. This is my first starter base. It is only a few meters from my escape pod, but that seemed as good a place as any to build. I was handy when my solar power went offline and I had to use the pod fabricator a few times. It used to be full of lockers, but I disassembled most of them because I am no longer using this base for storage. I have samples of most of the land plants (I think?) lots of them seem useless but I kept them anyway just in case. This base is now just a power station of my Cyclopes :getin:

The Lollipop, a good ship. I moved my entire operation to the ship, all of my lockers and fabricators and equipment! I keep my personal stuff in the sub lockers, and crafting materials in the wall lockers. There is a lot of room for lockers in this sub! I have also filled it with samples of all land plants, with some big gardens for potatoes and melons. Keeps me fed, and makes setting up power stations quicker.

The plan now is to make four power/exploration stations, 1km away from my first base in each cardinal direction (north, south, east, and west). I will set up a power station and a scanning station there and start looking for wrecks. I stopped getting distress calls a while ago, I am now going to have to be more proactive in finding stuff! Searching around randomly is tedious, I would prefer to use scanning stations to find the wrecks automatically. Its also handy to refuel my sub. This is the first one, my northern station. I built it near land because I wanted to see if you can actually build out of the water (you can!) It has two solar panels, a potato reactor, a scanning station, and a power cell charger. I also added some Bilbo Trees for better sustenance. That's it really, my sub does everything else now! :D

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 28, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

I thought I was being smart building my base over the jellyshroom caves entrance, with access to thermal power. Wondering where it would make sense to construct a huge vanity base. Lifepod 5 is basically in the middle of the map, right?

Your bases should be utilitarian only! The Alterra AI wants you about the dangerous psychological effects of treating the emergency shelter as your permanent home. No decorations, no superfluous rooms!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I haven't found that spoiler'd thing and the only things in that cave where the little fish that bite and the blood crab things :(

Ah well, this game is fun and I don't really care. The Cyclops is a pain in the butt to navigate and I wish it had 2 vehicle bays.

Also I seem to have run out of radio transmissions to move me forward in the story. I've found all the lifepods so far, found both islands, and I randomly stumbled on the neon purple giant mushroom cave and the base there. Anything specific I should be looking out for next? I happened upon an area super-heavy with rubies and quartz and farmed that, but I don't remember where it was or how to get back to it with the Cyclops.

This game is like a loving drug.

You are at basically the same point as me. I assumed the game wants you to take a bit of initiative, so I set out exploring the far reaches in the Cyclops. A scanner room in a base can spot wrecks for you, so if you build micro bases around you should be able to scan for wrecks and presumably find some more story hooks. At least thats my theory anyway :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm trying to make a museum in one of my rooms. Got all the basic materials placed but not sure what else to put in. A lot of these items have wonky hitboxes so they don't even sit on the ground properly.

There are lots of unique decorative objects in the game that are otherwise worthless, like the captains tiny model of the Aurora or some nerds science beakers, duffle bags, posters, etc. You should collect all of them!
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Placeable_Items

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

This video really shows how different an experience the Prawn suit is to the Seamoth.

Seamoth needs something to make it stand out. > 900M Crush depth, Silent running (or some sort of active camouflage?) x2 Speed or even emergency speed for escaping Leviathans?

Hell, even a rearview camera so that Reapers can't sneak up on you would be a bonus.

I had not considered a gravity crab, this have given me a lot to think about.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ellipson posted:

So I went looking for games like this since I really enjoyed the survive > explore > tech up > survive gameplay loop, but even trying out some gimmicks resulted in my attempt at a 2nd run... being boring, tbh. Seems like survival games are 80% early access stuff that I'm wary of; any suggestions? The underwater theme was extremely cool, but I'm not stuck on it; just SP survival games with possibly a bit of story driven content, but not necessary.

I could give ARK another try, but I got bored pretty quickly; game seems really focused on multiplayer.

If you like Subnautica you will love Empyrion: Galactic Survival. Its a little more generic than Subnautica, but you can crash land on several different types of planets (some without air, life, covered in water like Sunnautica, etc). The gameplay is quite similar to Subnautica, you start with nothing but an escape pod of supplies and an emergency replicator. You explore around gathering resources until you get the blueprints to make vehicles that let you move faster and gather larger amounts of resources. But Empyrion goes a step further. In Subnautica the Cyclopes is the biggest vehicles you can build, in Empyrion that would be considered a starter capital ship. You can build much bigger. That's the other big difference between Subnautica and Empyrion, once you finish the space ship in Empyrion the game doesn't end. You fly to other planets and keep playing there :D

Of course the graphics/atmosphere is not as well refined, but you can't have it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkmj3DuDgw

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 3, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

+1 for Empyrion. It's a great survival game - it's got a surprising amoutn of content for an early-access game, and it gets updated decently often.

I used to love Space Engineers and I still love building and designing ships in it, but Empyrion has a lot more, well, game. There's a whole solar system's worth of planets, with multiple starter planets with various challenges. Each planet has different biomes and resources available to it, and different enemies (to a degree, they could really do with a little more variety when it comes to alien critters). More importantly, each planet also has so much stuff to explore - the planet maps aren't very big (though the next upcoming patch is making them bigger) but there's always a crashed ship to explore and loot, alien bases to raid, a local village you can trade for food in.. some planets have things like patrolling capital ships and drone bases that release attack drones to try and wreck your bases. It's a lot of fun, especially with a group of friends.

Empyrion also has a fairly decent system for creating custom scenarios. In theory you could recreate Subnautica in the Empyrion engine, with all of the hand placed pod wrecks and PDA dialogs and stuff. There are only a half dozen decent ones available right now, but I expect more as the game gains more features.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

Yeah, and the current engine for water doesn't really model fluid dynamics at all. There's no way to 'pump dry' an underwater grid - hell, if you mine away at the seashore, you end up with a lake-shaped chunk of water floating midair.

Still, it's definitely a game worth looking at!

Well yeah the water physics are kind of an after thought in Empyrion at the moment. But that doesn't mean you can't create an underwater base. There is no pumping system, but if you use the mining drill to fill your base with dirt then take the dirt away it gets rid of the internal water. Also small vehicles work under water, so you can make subs (they will just be flying subs :v:)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As far as resource gathering games go, Subnautica is top notch. I can understand disliking it if that's not your thing, but compared to other types of resource gathering games Subnautica is fantastic. There are no lengthy "mining ores" sequences where you wait for the ore bar to be filled or whatever, you just smash a rock and pick it up. Also all of the crafting recipes take 2-3 exotic materials max, no "gather 50 rubies" or whatever its always one or two. Also, you can find a huge deposits that will set you up for the rest of the game if you look in the right areas.

Though I have not reached the part where you build a space ship, maybe it takes 10,000 titanium or something? :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

A locker can hold 48 Titanium, and took 2 titanium to make.

An ingot is worth 10 titanium. Let's ignore the lithium in plasteel for now.

Let's see...

Vehicle mod station; 1
Seamoth; 1
Prawn: 2
Cyclops: 3 (Which you will have to make, to fabricate a certain item).
A single moonpool; 1
Seamoth depth modules: 3
Prawn depth modules: 2
Cyclops depth modules: 2
Rocket stuff: 6

21 ingots just in essentials alone along the course of the game. 52 and a half scrap metal worth of titanium. A bit over 4 lockers worth of titanium goes by real fast when you're actually building, well, anything. And you'll need plenty more where that came from for everything else you do in the game.

It adds up if you are not going out of your way to shove scrap metal into your pants every chance you get. More so as items don't stack.

To be sure, OVERALL Subnautica is "Less grindy" on materials than the average game in it's genre. But it's not hard to see why people would feel it's a drag if they were short on materials at any given time, rather than already stockpiled.

Yeah but you find 3-4 scrap wreckage at every crash site you encounter. I am overflowing with Titanium, I have never felt like I needed to go out and get more. I just pick up every piece I come across when i'm out exploring.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

52/53 scrap metal sounds like a lot but I'm pretty sure swimming around the Aurora and cleaning it up will get you that much by itself, maybe cleaning up the Shallows as well.

Or the thing that actually happened, the introduction of crafting time when everything was previously 'it takes as long to make as the animation of it being made does.'

Think the current Titanium Ingot, only 3x as long.

This is a big gripe I have with a lot of crafting/survival games. There is nothing fun about waiting for a progress bar to fill up, what does crafting time add to anything? It is my one major problem with Empyrion.

I am very glad that Subnautica doesn't make you wait to craft things, the same as it doesn't make you dig a hole into the terrain for 5 min before you get some ores.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a tiny bit over the survival aspect (I've definitely console'd in food/water when I got lost or stuck somewhere without), but the biomes and to a lesser extent story have got me hooked.

Bad form! You are just robbing yourself of the best experiences that survival games have to offer: desperately trying to fix things when you gently caress up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah there's really only two good crafting times:

Short/nigh-instantaneous (or based on player input): the player is interacting with the game to make/convert stuff in it and the simpler the process the faster it should be (good crafting minigames fall under this.)

Long (batch jobs that once set up are automatically done): this is putting things on the back burner while the player goes and does something else. Give them a notification when it's done and overall don't make to big a deal of it.

Medium crafting times are bad because then you're falling into the problem of 'crafting components for every single freaking thing oh my god i have to do this EVERY TIME i want to make a thing gosh dang it' or 'alright, i set that on the back burner, time to go do something else for a bit, maybe do some exploring, organize my storage a bit, tend to my anima- DING. or my muffins could be done right now. great. time to queue something else up.'

"Crafting time" could add something to a survival experience if there is a waiting option. So that the actual experience of crafting is instant, it just advances the game clock X number of hours when you craft something. Then you are a bit hungrier and thirstier, and its closer to night time or whatever.

Just don't make me the player wait for things. My time is precious don't waste it!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, there are titanium, lead, silver, and gold all over the place. I was only able to find copper and nickel in there or deeper.

This would be helpful if I could find the drat drill arm! :argh: I have all three tiers of depth modules for my Cyclopes, but I don't want to go any deeper because I keep seeing all these big ore chunks that I can't mine :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

IMO it would be infinitely less annoying if scanning stuff you already have blueprints for gave you anything other than titanium. Maybe it gives you 1 component needed for the item you just scanned? Hell, even make it a random base metal. At least then there'd be a reason to get excited for a new wreck once you have most things.

I also hit the "you need a laser cutter to get into this room with 4 laser cutter fragments" issue and it was really dumb.
:negative:
I finally bit the bullet and looked at a wiki. It felt like cheating but I was stuck at my current place! I had no vehicle upgrade station and no drill arm, so I could not progress past a certain point. Once I got that station boy howdy it took me the next 30 min sorting through all my crap to make all of the upgrades. That stupid station was a huge bottleneck. I had all of the resources I needed to make everything, I just couldn't do it without the station. On the plus side I now have jump jets and grapple arms and drill arms and storage upgrades :D

The upgrade station was in a wreck that was perched on top of a bunch of sea mushrooms. It was near the surface of the water in a normally deep area. If I had not used the wiki coordinate to find it I don't think I would have ever stumbled upon it. The drat thing only poped in when I was 5 feet from it. I was looking around in the correct spot for a while before I saw it due to draw distance.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 7, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

How much do people actually use the beacons. I've had them for a really long time but I feel so stingy with my inventory space that I never use them.

I found beacons useless up until I stopped getting radio messages. Then they become essential. There were a few times I found something cool and wished I had one in my inventory, you will be kicking yourself the first time that happens if you don't carry one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

Is it normal to have not much idea what to do early on? I'm basically just scavenging poo poo so I can repair broken things on my escape pod and make a knife and stuff.

Fix stuff in your escape pod and build equipment. Once you build a repair tool you can fix the radio, it will give you more direction.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

I built a scan room and promptly lost my drones and never bothered to try again.

Protip: If you disassemble the scan room and make it again you will get new drones for free!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

The earliest one is to use a knife to stab the bone looking big coral tubes, to get that specific kind of coral. That +Salt = Two bottles worth 30 water.

Once you have a base hooked up to more power than you think you will need for anything, a water filtration machine will use roughly 2,400 power in the span of 15 minutes, to create two water bottles.

Melons (stab them for the seeds) are also worth a chunk of water along with their food value. Bulbo plant samples you can eat for a small bit of water.

There is a stillsuit that comes way too late in the game unless you get lucky or google it up, which will give you 20 value water bags at a rate still slow enough you will die of dehydration without more sources of water. But it's still better than no free water on the go at all, except when you would rather be using the reinforced suit to not cook yourself alive when welding the holes in your cyclops or prawn suit.

If you have the heated knife you can get all of your moisture by eating fish on the fly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Can you collect the fish that you slam into with the Seamoth or do they just splatter into oblivion?

There should be an upgrade module that collects these fish guts and puts them into the vehicle inventory.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jawnycat posted:

The filtration machine actually makes large water bottles now, which are 50 units each, so yeah, if you can power it your completely set for water.

Bilbo Trees are much cheaper and easier to make. They keep you well hydrated, but you need to eat potatoes too for nutrition.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Modders never asked the original game devs if they can tinker with their game, so they have no right to get butthurt when someone tinkers with their mod. Its all fair.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Legs Benedict posted:

gently caress this sounds good as hell to me

If you want something closer to Subnautica (in terms of a survival game) in addition to custom nutty drilling machines you should check out Empyrion: Galactic Survival! :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

I love Empyrion. It's more of a survival game than Space Engineers is, and more structured as a game - first priority is simple survival on a hostile planet with limited resources, followed by base building, building a little scout ship to find materials on the moon, use said materials to build a FTL ship, start exploring the star system for more rare materials, build bigger stuff, explore alien ruins, punch chainsaw wildlife in the face.. it's a lot of fun. In my opinion if Empyrion had Space Engineers' ship-building engine (I like welding things together, plus the whole conveyor pipe network adds an interesting dimension to ship designs), it'd be a perfect scifi survival game.

Someone even went to the trouble to recreate all the Subnautica vehicles in Empyrion (if you browse around the steam workshop). This includes a working and flyable version of The Aurora with interior. Unfortunately no Prawn Suit as Empyrion does not do mech suits at all. Also the Cyclopes is actually a spaceship :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love the way the Cyclopes drives. A lesser game would have just given you a 3rd person view and called it a day, but not Subnautica. Not quite having a full understanding of your surroundings really adds to the "undersea" immersivness of the experience.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Subnautica should of had a map that you make on your own. Even if its just something that portrays all your placed beacons and scanner rooms in a proper 3D image, it would make the map much easier to navigate while still requiring you to explore and place markers of your own.

Its slightly immersion breaking not to have some kind of map. After all the Seaglide has a built in map, and the scanner room displays a 3D rendering of the area. Why can't your PDA store this data like it can everything else you pick up/scan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

That's a shitload of invisible plankton for wall to wall leviathans to subsist on.

"It's okay because they are territorial" is the same defense people used for horrific blobs of dozens of bonesharks clipping into eachother in their rush to attack the player, so I admit I've lost the ability to take such arguments seriously.

If anything, the game taking place in a massive walled in canyon would be more interesting, and even further increase the tone of isolation than a wide open sky while giving a nice excuse for how small the map is horizintally. But that would involve the need to render such a spectacle on the horizon.

There aern't swarms of them, there are only 3. You just happen to coincidentally run into them any time you go to the edge of the map.