Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I've been playing this pretty much exclusively over the last week or so. I've got a strong base, the Sea Moth and a Cyclops, Stillsuit and Moonpool. I have a lantern tree farm setup for easy food, and i just build an alien habitat. I am missing a modification station so I can improve the Seamoth so It can go down to 500 meters. Though That might not be needed if I can ever figure out how to get the Cyclops to dive.

I probably should build a Prawn Suit, but I'm not sure how to get it out of the really deep parts I need to go, as from the videos i've seen, its jump jets don't see to go very high. From what I can tell the best place to find the modification station parts (and a nuclear reactor) is the jellyshroom cavern which is right under the safe shallows.

I have tons of upgrades so getting the Mod Station is my current goal, then I'll work more on the story. I need more air to explore the deep bases from what I can tell, as 2 tanks only gives me 105 air units which lasts about 5 minutes. More with the rebreather but I had to switch back to the radiation suit because needed to farm more titanium and there was more scrap around the Aurora wreck than anywhere else at this point. Unless that stuff respawns.

A question about the alien habitat, if I put debris in the tank with stalkers, will they drop teeth?

My first reaper encounter happened when I was looking for the way into the Aurora. I came at it from the engines and started going around when it grabbed me from behind and all I had was the sea glide. I probably tasted good from all the hoverfish and boomerangs I'd been eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thor-Stryker posted:

The modification station is the hardest blueprint to collect, parts of it are located randomly in the Aurora wreckages at the more 'challenging' locations. I probably spent 3-4 hours just grinding out the wreckages one by one to get it.

As for Stalker teeth, it has to be a full grown adult which can't happen inside the tanks.

That's what I was worried about. The Moonpool was hard to find the right wreck, but once I did, all 3 parts where there. That was actually cool, because I only could reach the one in the Dunes and there's Leviathans there, so I had to sneak by them in the Sea Moth. I really wish there was a map as I keep reading about these locations with vague directions like "SE from Pod 5" which just leads to the Dunes or some other large biome. I have a compass which helps, and I've been dropping beacons on the land masses I find, but dropping them at each biome would clutter up the map too much.

That sucks, but I put my base by a kept forest so they're always teeth laying around.

7c Nickel posted:

Dive is "c". Also works while swimming (always moves you vertically) and in the Seamoth (relative to orientation).

Ah excellent. My Cyclops will be more useful now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thor-Stryker posted:

Only thing I could suggest is that there's at least one wreckage in each of the biomes except the very end-game locations. So you can scout each biome until you find it's corresponding wreckage.

I managed to find the base hidden in the Jellyshroom Caves, that gave me the Mod station, Nuclear Reactor and the water filtration system.

And now i'm stuck in the ground, guess I'll just let myself die.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ambaire posted:

I found the regular mod station just fine in the latest experimental, but I've searched pretty much every single wreck on the surface and the seabase under the safe shallows and can't find the vehicle mod station. Can anyone confirm it's spawning on experimental? It's a bit odd having cyclops/prawn/etc but no mods for them.... prawn is useless without it.

I am pretty sure i found one in the Prawn Bay, but I could be mis remembering. I know i had it long before i had the Moon Pool. And I guess i'll build a prawn suit now that I know how to pilot the Cyclops.

I should probably build a power cell charger aboard it first before i take it on a long journey .

My base started to flood but I have a hull integrity around 90, the hell?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That makes sense, but what does the scanner room do?

I left beacons at the mountain island because there's a lot of useful minerals there, and the floating island. I'm trying to find the great reef at this point, but I'm not sure what kind of blueprints I need at this point. Probably better just upgrading my poo poo now i have the modification station. Maybe I should actually continue the story. Which is something I really like, outside of the sunbeam, you can do everything i've come across at your leisure.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ambaire posted:

The scanner room finds stuff. Get the hud upgrade, 2 speed 2 range upgrades, tell it to find sandstone in the safe shallows and after about 5-10 minutes, your hud will be filled with sandstone markers. As the active markers increase, it also bogs down the inventory system / mouse position detection so interacting with lockers and stuff becomes nearly impossible until you gather the stuff and turn the scanner room off.

e. meant limestone but anything applies, really.

So broken and not really needed.

So with your options, hot knife or diamond knife, still suit or reenforced dive suit?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ambaire posted:

Huh? The scanner room is awesome and essential for finding some stuff. Just has a minor downside one should be aware of.

Also I guess I'm the only person in the thread playing the experimental version. It does away with knife durability so I just use a heated knife for everything.

And reinforced dive suit. The extra physical protection is quite useful. A single desalinator thing produces more than enough water especially supplemented with a melon bed or whatever.

Ah, it sounded like it slowed the whole game down in use, if its just before a certain point its fine.

And yea, that's what I was thinking. With that thing, i've got tons of water just sitting around, and the water from the stillsuit does little more than a few sections of thirst and taking up inventory space.

Though I'm not sure if I need a thermal generator, i have both a bio reactor and a nuclear reactor going, and have 1100 power.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

7c Nickel posted:

The continuing adventures of Baby-Man Shits His Pants. This episode, Warpers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D8w3zsJYAY&t=1404s

I was inspired to play by the Neebs gaming series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMmiTTTUdQs

I got a lot of tips on avoiding early problems watching these, like reinforcing your base and such. Probably best to start with the first video to get the setup and injokes.

Anyways, I realized a scanner room will help me because I am having a bitch of a time finding the gel I need to make the Prawn Suit. Though do I really need one? Outside of the drill for the large nodes, I don't see a use for it yet. My Sea Moth now goes down to 900meters, and I admit, the Cyclops is pretty hard to control, not to mention every aggressive fish attacks it if I get close even with silent running on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dongattack posted:

IIRC there is a story related place you need to go to which is so deep that the Seamoth can never withstand the pressure? I'm not 100% sure tho since it's been awhile and in any case i think you can get away with going there in the Cyclops and relying on lots of airtanks + Seaglide.

Prawn suit is also the best way to fight back in the game since it can just straight up tank and beat the gently caress out of anything that bothers you. Attach a grappling hook and grapple to the fuckers while smacking them in the face for that extra "gently caress you".

Hah, that's awesome. I've gotten all the arms, so I guess Drill and grapple?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah, I had previously just clicked off it when it had come up before because most RP game videos tend to be cringey as heck. This one A. Tries to keep it pretty light and B. Actually has pretty good writing.

Yea, the Neebs crew have all varying degrees of Southern accents, but they use it to full effect. They are also really good at sound editing to fit in the video; echo effects, radio static and so on.

Their Ark, GTA Online and Scrap Mechanic vids are great, and their Battlefield 1 vids are amazing. I love their Death Quiz episodes, becuase crazy poo poo happens in that game.

I spend 2 hours last night running around trying to find Gel Sacks, even ended up at the deep river, which seriously looks like something from Dark Souls, and came up with 1. I ended up just using the console to spawn one.

I need to make the arms for the Prawn Suit, but I'm interested in going back to the deep river or some of the other crazy deep biomes. Like that base with the coffee maker in it, those drat squid crabs are assholes and won't let you near it.

What upgrades are worth adding to the Seamoth or Prawn Suit? Can't have all of them, but some are probably more useful than others. And what food plants are worth it? Lantern Trees are the easiest but it seems the melons are better for hunger.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad I my scanner can't reach titanium, i could use the giant nodes over the scrap.

I want to know where these leaks i keep getting are coming from. I looked on the wiki and it only will happen when you're hull integraty is down to 0, but mine is currenly 120. Looking at the comments, it look like fish can either attack (if agressive) or just swim (if they're not) into the base can that can cause damage.

I'm not sure what to do right now. I have a drill arm and grappler for the Prawn, I modded all 3 to dive to minimum 900 meters. I guess I should upgrade the cyclops to max out its diving depth, but I have no idea where to get nickel from.

Oh wait, I haven't investigated the energy signal inside the mountain base, and I have a purple artifact now. Guess I'll do that next.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
my base as it appears currently

I have foundations everywhere and I have reinforced a lot of the parts I could but I still get leaks here and there.

And I've investigated all the signals I have, I have no idea what to do. I am trying to find my way back to the deep river where the giant skull is, to market it for when I get another artifact, but other than that, I have zero clue where to go.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zesty posted:

What's the deepest thing you've found? Giant skull?

Yep, and the force field door near it. I scanned it, and now I cannot remember how I got there. I know it was near the Crabsquid cave with the base with the coffee maker, but I search all over there and only found nothingness and a Reaper.

BTW is there any way to get out of their clutches when they lock onto the seamoth?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus christ getting out the Lost River is impossible with the Prawn Suit. You cannot see anything above you once you get into the blood kept forest and there's a Warper hanging out there that keeps pulling me out when I think I'm about to get out.

The Prawn Suit has that thing with jump jets in games that happens where it thrusts, but doesn't actually move.

Oh seriously gently caress YOU stupid warper. Warps me out, prawn suit falls back down, climb up more, warped out, falls down again. Then As I am finally getting out of the deepend, it just straight up attacks and destroyed the prawn suit.

It's like that one warper was designed to purely keep people from getting out of the Deep River.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 25, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Robiben posted:

If you have the grappling hook you can latch onto something above you and when you get a bit of upward momentum hit the jets and it will fly you up pretty high. I found you can get out of the lower areas with a bit of patience. The jump jet upgrade helps a tonne though. Also you can grapple onto warpers and drill them. Makes them teleport away. I still poo poo myself anytime i get warped though.

Oh and a standard hull upgrade chip in your Prawn Suit. Helps!

Had all that. And was slowly moving up the cliff, but I could never get the warper to either die or go away, it always came back just as I was getting close.

I just got fed up after 3 hours of trying to get out and used the console when it destroyed my Prawn Suit. I really hate The Prawn Suit and Cyclops, they're so difficult to control and a real pain in the rear end to get anywhere that's more narrow than the open ocean.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am amused that gold is way more common than copper. It is an alien planet, but it still feels odd.

And that is the one good thing i've found about the Prawn Suit, being able to mine the large nodes helps a lot.

I noticed that the time played on saved games is really low now. I don't know if there was a patch recently that messed that up or something else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like if you loose the cat poster, you can totally be justified in cheating it back in.

A more streamlined story would be nice, as i'm just floundering around looking for stuff and have no guidance right now. Honestly without Hicks in Space i'd have no idea what to do after i got the Auroura meet up point.

Speaking of that, latest episode went up yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtxdpek43I

EDIT: I'm going to have to build a second base near the lava fields, once i find them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I built a second base near the the Lost River entrances near some thermal vents. I feel really dumb bceause I was shuttling resources from my main base to this one using the seamoth, forgetting that the Cyclops has a ton of storage in it.

I really wish I could figure out where I can get an orange artifact I need to get into the lost river base.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Demiurge4 posted:

It's on a desk.

A desk where? I assume one of the older bases, I've only found the 3 ones on the island and the one where the coffee maker is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zesty posted:

You could check the wiki.

Deep Grand Reef Abandoned Seabase on a desk

I felt really dumb because I'd already explored that base. Completely missed the entire section of the base. At least this time I have the electric discharge so I can get rid of the crabsquids.

Steam recomends me other ocean based survival games, specially Landless and Stranded Deep. Worth checking out?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Too bad, they looked pretty neat. Actually, are there any other survival crafting games worth checking out? There's Ark, but that looks like its only good if you have a crew (Neebs has a long rear end Lets play of that they update every saturday too).

The fact I can avoid poo poo in the seamoth makes me dread using the Cyclops or the Prawn Suit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Efexeye posted:

ARK is very bad. The Long Dark is cool if you can accept that you will die at some point.

I'm playing Dark Souls on and off, so that's not really a problem.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i want something that has what Subnautica has, crafting, base building and exploration. That's what I was initially interested in Ark.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Neebs has a whole series where they play Ark. They make it look fun, but that's more because they're dumb and are assholes to each other. Some of the poo poo in that game does look annoying as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1Uou2DWH7IGqPVmuAz1nsUl56c8js20p

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Whats up with all the people playing games that demand them to be as hard and punishing as possible? It was Dark Souls wasn't it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Night10194 posted:

It makes them feel 'hardcore'.

Also, they have the idea that the relaxing fish-touching game is actually really scary and brutal.

Its the kind of people who complain that in single player games that there are weapons that are too strong

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It seems okay to complain about the developers making a necessary part of the game incredibly unfun and difficult to deal with.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Latest Hicks in space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6BETexAZ0

I honestly wonder how many others didn't realize you could fix the Aurora's reactor until fairly late? I know I didn't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GlyphGryph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDmbZu1dWso

Example of the biggest performance problem (pop in) and also something really awesome happening.

That's hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lord Zedd posted:

While I wait for 1.0 to play this again, are there any other survival games similar to subnautica out there to play in the meantime?

I was going to grab Stranded Deep as its on sale right now, but reading reviews, the crafting system just sounds silly. Literally dump everything on the ground. Landless looks like it has more potential, but its too expensive to risk on an early access crafting game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

7c Nickel posted:

In a way, I think when you're thinking about "games like Subnautica" you should almost focus more on survival/crafting/exploration games that have a narrative and a goal rather than just the water/underwater part.

Funny thing, i was thinking of exploration/crafting games, just the 2 I'd been looking at besides Ark are also sea based.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I built my first base near the creepvines, because the resources I needed for the early stuff was all close by, and I could go between it and the lifepod pretty easily before I made a fabricator nearby.

I built a second near the crabsquid cave as I found a cluster of vents. Though a 2 level room, a fabricator, a plant bed, water processer and a moonpool was too much so I had to scrounge for another nuke plant to provide enough power.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was wondering today, can you get pure water from bleach?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Interesting that is one of the most glaring sci-fi BS in the game. Getting water from fish is a known survival technique, as many fish have fresh water in their bodies, often right behind their head.

I don't feel so bad cheating to get the resources to build my little base near the crabsquid cave, as I did scrounge up everything to build my main base. It took forever to get enough titanium to build it, I'm pretty sure I denuded the entire map of scrap doing so.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OneTwentySix posted:

Agreed. Pure water isn't good for things like embryos (I raise dart frogs and distilled water can kill eggs and isn't good for tadpoles), but a small amount of other material makes it not pure anymore - I use tadpole tea (boiled oak leaf extract) to fight fungus and that makes it safe for extremely sensitive amphibian eggs (or I just use spring or drinking water - distilled is easier since I have it on hand for my misting systems). I can't think of any situation where ultra-pure water would be harmful to humans - you'd drown long before you'd have any negative effects.

I am legitimately interested in why you raise dart frogs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They need to add a base module that you can put food into that produces food cubes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

U.T. Raptor posted:

Hell, those already exist (those nutrient bars in your pod at the beginning), just give us a way to make them!

That's exactly why I thought that. It seems like they've added processors for most of the basic needs. Foods from the trees and melons are okay, but they make you vomit blood if you eat too much. The food cubes seem to more effective.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was playing in early access but I stopped when the Cyclops was made unusable and couldn't progress. I assume you don't actually need the it anymore as you can make the Seamoth go to 900 meters with its Mk3 depth mod. I've gotten as far as building a base and explored everything I can get in the Aurora. It's just finding stuff like the battery and power cell chargers and setting up a food and water supply at my base. Also setting up a bio reactor and nuclear reactor.

Something I noticed is they changed the location of where materials spawn in some cases. I remember the Island with the gun on it you could find diamonds and lead, but now they aren't there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Found all the stuff in the caves on the Gun island.

Yea it took me forever to find enough laser cutter fragments. The main thing i've been digging around for are the chargers. I though at least one would be in the Aurora, but nope. I am amused how early I had the seamoth though, before the Sunbeam contacted me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel the route is repair tool- knife - scanner - improved fins and O2 tank - seaglide - radiation suit - lasercutter - propulsion cannon which will let you loot the Aurora and explore around it asap. Though fixing the engine room should be your goal once you can get inside.

Though your milage my vary depending on what you find early on. As I mentioned, I had a seamoth before I got a lot of other stuff as I found mobile vehicle bay and seamoth parts long before I had the lasercutter.