Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Rotten Cookies posted:

You can make a giant aquarium in your base, catch some fish, put em in the aquarium. Two of the same fish will populate the whole aquarium. Then if you wanted, you could release all but 2 of them into the wild and repeat.

This is basically what I did to repopulate my starter area. Except I used the really nutritious fish. The Reginalds I think. I made an aquarium that was three multipurpose rooms high and just captured and released everything but two and did it a couple more times.

Of course by the time I repopulated the stater area I found fruit trees and it didn't matter anymore. I even made fruit trees on my cyclops so I have a permanent food and water source! Now I just wish there was a way to attach a nuclear reactor to my sub so I could have infinite power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I started up a new save with the farming update. The fun is gone. I can't for the life of me find any solar panel fragments. Now I've got four or five air tanks and I've been diving to the wreck in the grassy plateau and scan things until I die. I can't find any fragments that would let me add power to my base. All the wrecks besides the one in the grassy plateau just have chairs and desks. The game is way too tedious for me now. They need to move around fragments so you can at least get a base going without having to cheat with respawns or having to run down to a fragment, scan a bit and then scramble back for air.

That's really weird as I didn't have any problems at all with finding piles of solar panel fragments. My biggest issue was finding seamoth fragments and then those drat moonpool fragments. As mentioned already, you basically need the moonpool to get the moonpool fragments in the grand reef unless you load up on air tanks, which really seems counter intuitive to me.

Fantastic game though, I'm really enjoying it and can't wait until the next update.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Seems like a really pointless and unnecessary change to me. I really don't want to waste time waiting around for poo poo to craft in this game.

The responses on those forums to what appear to be rational reasons for not wanting the change are incredible. I wonder what kind of mental gymnastics have to occur for someone to have such conviction about such a stupid and pointless change. What does sitting around for three minutes do for me? Nothing. There's nothing to do while I wait.

I really hope this change doesn't make it into the live version because it would move Subnautica from "game I recommend" to something else. In my experience it's generally not a good thing for the player when devs follow their "vision" without really thinking it through.

Also that EnglishInfidel guy is one of the most insufferable idiots I've seen on forums in a while.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

U.T. Raptor posted:

Vehicles disappear off the face of the earth occasionally, it's a really nasty bug. I lost a seamoth that way (and worse, the maxed out compensator it had equipped), went into a cave looking for quartz and when I came out it was just straight-up gone :iiam:.

Something similar to this just happened to me when I went to explore the Aurora. I parked my cyclops just inside the exploded part of the Aurora and went exploring. When I came back, my interior growbed that had potatoes and fruit trees in it was for some reason completely empty. I'm not really sure how that happened because there were definitely trees in there when I left. Another interesting thing that happened is that I took fire damage from some of those dripping fires so maybe I parked my Cyclops in just the right spot for fire drips to land on (and through?) my Cyclops, burning my trees down? :iiam:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Dyz posted:

Just explored the deep lava and couldn't find a single sea dragon. Warpers everywhere though. They seem to just spawn in the local predators for the biome.

Can warpers harm you if you're inside the Cyclops? My other question (the burning question) is: what are you supposed to do against these things? They warp you out of your seamoth/PRAWN and can't be stasis orb'd, which is regrettably my default method of dealing with hostile sea life and monsters alike.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Kind of weird but it feels like my game only half-updated.

It says I'm on the September build but I can't make the reinforced dive suit. I see that I need that new ore to craft upgrades to my PRAWN suit but can't actually find any of the harvestable nodes in the Lava areas. The Tree Cove also looks almost the same as a streamer's I was watching, except there aren't any rays swimming around.

Anyone else experience these types of things? I verified the integrity of my game and everything seems fine so I don't know what the deal is!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Dyz posted:

Are you in experimental? Sometimes areas don't update and wildlife won't appear. I have the same problem in my save, the ALZ had no creatures in it and thus no Sea Dragon. I was building a base down there right when the update hit, that might be the reason for the bug.

I've also had all predators, including reapers, go silent in a previous save, so you never know what will happen in experimental.

The strangest thing is that I'm not in experimental! I opted in to experimental and then opted out so we'll see what happens. Despite not being in experimental I seem to be encountering the same situations as you. Very strange.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I reallllly don't like the cyclops being such a wimpy piece of poo poo that can get sunk by stupid bonesharks. Perhaps they could give us a point defence system or a fuckin harpoon gun or something.

I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish here. When I take my cyclops out for a trip I'm generally going quite far away. My reaction to losing my sub would be to either load the game or stop playing entirely. I'm not a fan.

I feel like going and posting on their forums again. Boy did we get poo poo on for that stupid crafting time thing. Time to try again?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

This is definitely the saltest thread I've seen for a chill singleplayer game that isn't even out yet. The possibility of losing your cyclops doesn't mean it's going to turn into some hardcore survival sim. Also I'm pretty sure the devs don't read this thread so venting here is just falling on deaf ears.

From the very video they linked it made it fairly clear that the cyclops was capable of being substantially damaged by three bonesharks. Which then prompts a bunch of busywork to keep the cyclops from sinking. And then they keep attacking while you're trying to fix the boat. What I wasn't clear on was if going to stealth mode halted the attack or not. It kind of looked like it did but I wasn't sure.

I also don't understand why you feel we, for some reason, shouldn't discuss changes to a game we play in a thread about the game. There's clearly people that like the change and don't like the change and we're talking about it, which to me seems to be sort of the point of a thread.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Still really not a fan of the cyclops changes. They make things more difficult, which is fine, but they don't really give good options to mitigate the new changes aside from some busywork type of activities. I still don't see how putting out fires/repairing my cyclops and making decoys and spending power on a 15 second shield actually provide viable methods of defending myself. Especially since the seamoth can defend itself better than the cyclops.

I find it frustrating that the changes made don't really enhance the experience of the game and instead lead to more pointless busywork.

Oh well.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Lareine posted:

Welp. People are already coming into the Steam forums complaining that their Cyclops got damaged without them in it. A dev responds.... by calling them liars and claiming it is impossible.

I had a pretty interesting experience. I haven't played the game since about March of 2016. I loaded the game up today and my prawn was completely gone (it was upgraded with the jumpjets) and my cyclops was sitting in the safe shallows with four damaged bits in it with no powercells.

I'd also somehow forgotten most of my recipes for things like powercell and battery chargers, a stillsuit (even though I'm wearing one) and the cyclops and prawn.

Really weird that my cyclops was sitting there damaged by nothing. I'm not going to say my experience was the same as this person's but it was really weird.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Gave the update a try today and the new icons are nice. I like the sonar thing for the cyclops, it makes navigating caves easier.

On the other hand (and this is a big "other hand"), the cyclops taking damage from everything is very, very tedious. I was going down from blood kelp to the lost river and every time I touched a wall I'd take damage. I could ignore it and continue but the ship would then natter at me to fix my poo poo, or I could fix it and then take damage every time I clipped a wall.

I mean, there's a huge possibility this is because I'm a lovely pilot but man, it isn't fun having to roll around at silent running mode all the time to avoid the critters then still take piles of damage.

I also hope they either decrease the rate of power the cyclops uses even further or somehow give us the ability to generate power on the thing (aside from the power cell charger).

Overall I'm really not loving the new cyclops. It feels like a very tedious and pointless addition.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
It is such a pain in the rear end to have to get out of the cyclops every time you brush a wall (which is really, REALLY hard to avoid when you're moving around the lost river or blood kelp) and have to repair it.

Also, those crabsquids and their EMPs are annoying as poo poo. They don't attack you but they keep blasting their EMPs off if you're near them. Of course, you can't go faster than the silent running or you'll get attacked (and have to repair you ship even more) and if you stay in silent running you'll get EMPd over and over.

Having said that I had fun exploring the precursor base in the mountains and in the lost river. Next - lava castle. though I have no idea how I'm gonna get by that leviathan thing. What did you guys do?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I don't know. I'm not in love with the cyclops changes since it adds more tedium for essentially no reason except for perhaps under some false pretenses of "realism" in a game with dark matter space ships and stasis guns.

Overall the game is still fun. I'm just not a fan of the cyclops changes. Increasing tedium for apparently no reason is something I'm not a fan of. My hope is that they give us more options to reduce the tedium by making new pieces of equipment.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

There's a difference between 100% invincible and "have to drive in first gear everywhere to avoid taking tedious chip damage from everything."

Making it vulnerable to massive lifeforms and environmental hazards would be one thing but I see no compelling reason to make it vulnerable to smaller things.

The thing is, the way things are implemented now you are still functionally immune to wildlife (as far as I've seen) as long as you stay in stealth mode. Really all they've done is make you move slower in your cyclops and have to repair the thing every time you run into a rock. If you don't fix your ship it will start to harass you about hull damage.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Did they seal up the entrance to the Inactive Lava Zone that is near the front of the Aurora? I tried to get there in a new game and it just...wasn't there anymore. Nothing but void!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
How are the newest changes to the 'clops? I felt that the combination of damage-able ship + silent running made the changes pointless and irritating.

Now I see that you can activate silent running at any time for a limited duration. Can you still go into a permanent, slow moving silent running?

I'm still kind of unsure how you're supposed to get past that massive leviathan thing near the lava castle - do you still use silent running in your boat or can it detect silent running now?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Jesus christ, the power consumption of the Cyclops is beyond insane, drains it's power generator far faster than the Sea Moth/Sea Glide/Prawn Suit uses it's single battery/power core. And on silent running? Forget about it.

Lol, i seriously don't get their obsession with making this thing as obnoxious as possible, they need to stop eating glue.

Edit: actually it seems that every time the sonar pings it uses up 1% of the total energy, that's the insane powerdrain im experiencing. i still stand by my statement that they are retarded tho

This is super disappointing to read. I haven't played Subnautica since they added the sonar to the cyclops (which I found had varying degrees of usefulness) but yeah even then it drained 1% power per ping which is absurd.

I really don't like hearing that silent running is a constant power drain since, as I understand it, it is the only way to actually make progress past the swarms of bullshit you encounter. And someone else was posting that it doesn't even work against all the aggressive sea life?

Hopefully they'll get their poo poo together and fix the power drain and recharge rate.

At this stage in the game's development, how are you meant to get past the big lava behemoth thing to get ion crystals? That's been a constant question that I've had and I've never seen an answer. I also haven't tried it because I just don't want to deal with the monotony of having to gently caress around with the stupid cyclops any longer.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I'd love to see what this looks like. Do you happen to have a video or screencaps of this spot?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I remember at one point they said all the early access people would get some custom fish pet or something. Did that happen?

Also Admiral Joeslop thank you for those video clips, that looks weird as heck!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Probably a question nobody has an answer to but do you all think we'll be getting a new version of the game on launch day? I want to play again but I don't really want to start a new game if we don't have the launch client yet.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Woo! Launch day! I'm listening to sweet tunes in the twitch right now.

Can't wait to see what the launch version brings!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I love how the timer is counting up. T+ 4 minutes and counting!

Edit: And now the timer has stopped at T+9:59. hahaha

Vasler fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 24, 2018

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Yoda posted:

The stream has started with no sound, it's like they really want us to experience the technical difficulties. Guy picks up glass of wine and technical difficulties screen pops up. Best. Stream. Ever.

I liked how he was being all surreptitious as he grabbed the glass. "Surely they'll have faded the stream by the time I grab the glass.."

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
They looked super excited to celebrate the launch. The team must be really happy :)

I wish I could buy the shirt that director and other guy were wearing. They looked fantastic.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Early game is still a big bummer, it’s just a lot of searching for resources and I can’t even try the scanner room yet cause I still need a bunch of stuff to get along with desperately needing a battery recharger I haven’t found yet.

I had almost the exact same experience as you playing the release version. When you get the scanner room hud the scanner room becomes an incredible piece of equipment. I feel like building a scanner room in every large zone (grand reef, koosh, mountains maybe) to identify and farm the hell out of resources.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Stalker teeth used to be irritating to find - the scanner room completely solves that issue!

One question for you all - how do you all get down to the Lost River these days? I used to take the Deep Grand Reef with my Cyclops. I'm thinking I could still use this route but only with the Prawn.

I'm looking to build a base in the area with the best access to the Lost River (for scavenging materials) and then perhaps one in the Lost River.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) What route do you most commonly use to get to the Lost River; and

2) Where do you build your base in the Lost River?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I built a base in the grassy plains and all went well until a reefback, for some reason, decided to basically ram into my base continuously for a few days.

I didn't think anything of it at the time as it eventually went away but my vehicle modification station despawned.

Strange.

Then the same thing happened again except this time I left my seamoth sitting outside my base (was using the moonpool to upgrade my prawn).

I left the seamoth and went to the Lost River. At some point during my journey I noticed that for some reason my seamoth was nowhere near my base AND it was over 5,000 m away from me! That's a huge amount of distance since I think the usable world is maybe 2,500 m?

Anyway, I saved and then set out to seaglide to my seamoth. It took forever and I actually ended up going from the Crash Zone --> Void --> Seatreader Path --> Crag Field --> Crash Zone where my seamoth was. I have no idea how, but I avoided all of the reapers in the Crash Zone and the ghost ones in the void, which I didn't think was even possible.

Now, the interesting thing about this is that I *didn't* actually wrap around the world. My base markers and everything stayed behind me but I was in the zones I mentioned. So, where the hell was I and how did my seamoth get moved 5 km? I traversed the void again back to my base (this time I got attacked by normal reapers but none of the ghost ones).

I wonder what the game zones actually look like? Or what would have happened if I kept going until I reached the safe shallows.

It's like that alternate dimension episode of Star Trek TNG with all the Worfs or something. Except in this case we get infinite dimensions of reapers and reefbacks shoving my poo poo around.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

jboslund posted:

Without having seen it first hand, it reminds me of a certain famous video. (Skip to 11.39 if it doesn't start there automatically.) The idea is that you did travel off the map, but also sort of wrapped around it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A&feature=youtu.be&t=699

I watched this and I have no idea how any of what he discussed actually happened in Mario 64.

Anyway it does kind of seem like that. If anyone feels like having some fun, just pick a direction and swim (in a seamoth). See if you eventually loop past the void like I did. Maybe it was because my seamoth was warped out there? It was definitely an experience.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I'm actually at a point where I don't know how to progress the story. Am I meant to use the radio transmitter to get next steps?

I have been neglecting it and really haven't listened to many entries. I'm pretty sure I know what I have to do (go to the mountain island --> get scanned --> go to the lost river --> not sure at this point) but I don't know how to start this cascade of events.

What did you guys do?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I went and built a base near the tree cove and thought, "I'll try the water purification machine again, it can't possibly use that much power these days".

...my thermal plant wasn't up to the task so I had to build a nuclear reactor. To make water!! I don't even need the water since I have infinite Bulbo plants.

Why? I need a nuclear reactor to purify water? That makes less sense than the existence of aliens and reaper leviathans to me.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
The Lava Castle was incredibly difficult to find. Holy man. I wandered around the Inactive Lava Zone Corridor for what seemed like 30 minutes dealing with those lovely warpers until I found it.

I hate warpers so much. I wish I could kill those shitheads.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Just finished the game. That was a very satisfying experience altogether.

I had a hell of a time finding sea crown. The wiki says you can get it in the dunes so I went looking around for a while. After a few minutes of looking I decided to go look in the aquarium you guys were talking about earlier. Picked a direction to start moving out of the dunes and immediately saw a sea crown! Success!

Great game - can't wait for the expansion (if it happens).

Oh yeah - side note. I hadn't actually built a cyclops the entire game. I was surprised I actually needed to have one to finish the game. Took an extra bit of farming to get all of that titanium.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Misamata was a cool game. Triangulating your location to map out where you were was a neat concept.

On the subnautica topic: I can't wait for the new story mode to come out. I want to play below zero again.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Ossipago posted:

I'm very much in the no map camp (use beacons and keep a notepad to remind what's near each if you need), but in Below Zero hitting the land based section was so jarring it made me want to install a map mod just so I didn't have to spend any more time than necessary wandering around it. Basically when you're having fun exploring the environment you don't really think about a map, but when you're not having as much fun...

Agreed here. The part of the game with the snowfox was incredibly frustrating. It was a combination with the landscape looking basically the same and the weird jarring motion of the snowfox. It took me so long to find the base or whatever that I was supposed to find with that guy's datalog.

I looked at multiple streams and still found it difficult to navigate. I really hope they change that part.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
This bug chat is fascinating. I experienced the "walking on land underwater" bug and the "fish swimming through my base" bug.

The craziest bug I experienced was when my seamoth glitched out and disappeared, but the seamoth beacon/icon was still visible.

The seamoth was over 3 km away from where I was. "How is that possible?" I thought, "The map isn't that big."

And you know what? The map isn't that big.

I struck out with my seaglide and went towards the icon.

What actually happened was that I ended up in void water. I kept on swimming because I made it this far.

Where I ended up was the "safe shallows", but it was like a creepy version of the shallows. All of the landscape was there, but there was nothing else - no fish, no nodes.

My seamoth was there though! I got in and motored back to real space, from wherever the hell I was.

That was a weird experience. I had no idea that this part of the ocean was roundish and that there could be multiple instances of the world in the same game.

It was weird as hell.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I played this in early access so I know some of the things I'm supposed to do, but I think I'm stuck now.

I have two of the three architect parts and I'm missing the organs. I also have built a snowfox but I don't appear to have anything leading me to any point where the phi station landing pad is.

I know from a previous playthrough in early access that there's a frozen corpse I'm supposed to find, but nothing is guiding me there.

There's also nothing guiding me to the last architect piece.

What am I meant to do at this point in the game? I mean, I know what I'm supposed to do but how am I supposed to find these two things?

I recall the snowfox section was a massive pain in the rear end when I played in early access.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Solutions in spoilers in case you still want to search for this stuff yourself.

Phi Robotics is southeast of the bridge. If you go past the entrance to Phi Robotics and continue on the path you'll eventually get to the frozen leviathan in a cave next to an open area with a bunch of the frozen trees. There will be a big radar tower thing marking the entrance

This one is bit harder to find and I think the hint system is slightly broken pointing you in the right direction. Search the crystal caverns, you can find entrances either in tunnels around Marguerite's underwater base or the area with pink fumaroles and a bunch of lithium everywhere. Crafting the shock defense for your seatruck before heading down there is advisable, as well as maxing out depth upgrades since it's the deepest area in the game.

Thanks for the directions, appreciate it. I have no idea how I missed that cave as I went through the area more than once with my prawn and then again with the snowfox.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Okay, where the hell am I supposed to go from the bridge area to finish the story in BZ? I managed it in beta, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing and nothing is pointing me anywhere that I can see.

I swear I've prawned and foxed all over the place forever. BZ is fun but this above ground snowy area sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

The body parts that you need are located in the following places:

1: Deep in a giant spore filled trench below the lily pad area.

2: At the far side of the snowy tundra area that is accessed by fixing the bridge. If giant worms are attacking your in the right place. Bring your prawn suit to cheese it, gently caress the snowfox. Drop a beacon at the entrance to the area and keep heading as far away from it as possible. Look for green lights that signify architect stuff.

3: Deep in the underwater purple crystal caves guarded by shadow leviathans. Best entrance to the area is located under Marguerite’s underwater pirate base. Hopefully you’ve gotten that far. Look for a central cathedral type area in the purple crystal section.

Once you’ve got all three parts: bring the Ingredients to make the body back to the purple caves and keep exploring till you find the entrance to the red crystal caves. Far at the back of that final area is the facility to make the body. Once you made the body head to the portal behind outpost Zero.

Your optional objective is to cure the frozen leviathan. You get the recipe for that in a hidden robot penguin cave in the area that has the stalkers. All you get is an achievement and a bit of story closure for your dead sister that the writers phoned in…

I was able to find the frozen leviathan in the beta but I can't find it in the release version. This snow area is ridiculous. I'm done with the body part stuff but I wanted to get whatever closure I could before I finished the game.