Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Did they get rid of a big vertically-oriented wreck near a lifepod (I think) somewhat towards the floating island that you would get a message about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

(like seaglide power usage)...(Plans to make the Cyclops 100% vulnerable at all times to everything, and a priority target).

Seaglide power usage was just reduced by 3/4 and the design doc for Cyclops evasion doesn't say anything about making it vulnerable above 450m.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Yes, after a long rear end time being poo poo before finally unfucking it, hence "Bouncing in and out of". Saying that it's finally fixed NOW, doesn't take away what has come before.

As for "They devs never talked about making the Cyclops more at risk!", that's basically been part of their talks about "Cyclops Evasion mechanics" where they want to implement limited silent running modes to justify extra aggro effects from wildlife (Which would, say it with me now "Slow down your gameplay")

I'm sorry that I misused the term "Literally" on the internet, I guess?

EDIT: Oh right, we had that whole conversatoin on the Cyclops subject some pages back too. Where it was generally agreed by those who like the overall concept, that the likly implementation by the Devs would be "Park it hundreds of meters away from your destination. Hope nothing spawns to kill it while you're away from it". Ala seamoths parked inside caves being noclipped to death by reapers while you were gone. Except a lost seamoth is an annoyance, while a lost Cyclops is hours of gameplay plus hours of what you built and stored inside it.

:captainpop:

Have you thought about just waiting until the game is actually released?

Here's a link to the Evasion goals for those who are curious.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lonos Oboe posted:

...incredibly complex system...

If you actually bothered to read the design you would know it's very simple and straightforward. Or is switching to silent running and playing warmer/colder incredibly complex to you?

quote:

Without sounding like a smart rear end.

Too late!

For the normal people who don't feel like reading Trello you should be happy to know the Cyclops is getting a flank speed.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lonos Oboe posted:

No, but the AI and conditions systems they have to implement does.

Well if you're going to start pulling "development expertise" out of your rear end then this discussion is over.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ok, extreme wierdos who who couldn't stand me posting good news about the seaglide and Cyclops! :thumbsup:

In more important news I think they actually fixed the bug that was causing 1+ gig save files and massive performance degradation. Pop-in is still on the to-do list though.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 23, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

SMH if you aren't running up to every squid you find and punching it in the... erm... tentacular plexus with the prawn suit.

It's so relaxing.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nice. One of the devs posted an extensive look at the Cyclops changes at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDqRbTETS8 (upgrades are in experimental but enemy behavior doesn't seem to be) and the lead designer put up some internal feedback here (performance is unsurprisingly the largest complaint).

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Oh good. I really hated having my extremely expensive investment be a genuine mobile safe haven I could explore from. That really sucked and I look forward to having to constantly rebuild Cyclops.

Christ, I wish they'd stop listening to those people.

Uh, listening to who?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

The forums posters on Subnautica's official forums who keep demanding stupid poo poo like 'crafting should take 5 minutes' or 'Small predators should be able to destroy the Cyclops.'

I looked at the suggestions board someone just posted and the only thread I saw about that was "I don't want the Cyclops to be attacked when I'm not in it."

Edit: also there are no crafting timers in the game or any apparent plans to add any.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 7, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

You're welcome.

(I'm the one who lead the fight to get them removed after they were added. Many of the people on their forums do not like me very much anymore, they were very very committed to crafting timers being a good thing.)

Thank you! I didn't see anything bad looking at first couple pages of the suggestions forum so maybe those people aren't around any more (fingers crossed).

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Why would they do that.

They finally put those constant demands to rest.

What are they thinking?

At release yeah, but it's brought up constantly so I'm not suprised Cleveland is fishing for ideas for potential DLC.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Like No Mans Sky?

:captainpop: Yeah this is exactly how Sean Murray teased multiplayer in NMS.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 11, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

A:I is really really fun in VR.

Did they ever officially support it? I know it worked decently at launch, but I thought they quietly dropped any idea of that afterwards.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

I started a new game today and the early game silver issue is muuuuuuch smoother with cpu using gold. You can get pretty much everything you need for all the basic equipment and tools from safe shallows and the kelp forest 100m away now. A+.

The radio explicitly says "go check this lifepod out" and so it's a much more breadcrumb experience to scan wrecks, and the first two make you swim over wrecks with the seamoth and seaglide pieces.

I don't even know what I'm going to do with all of this silver but now I need ALL of the copper. I'm glad that they made the lifepod signals more descriptive but I don't really see the point of limited you to 2 at time now that you can selective hide/recolor waypoints.

edit: also I found a few gelsacks in the crash zone on my way to the aurora.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 30, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Don't be an idiot like me and spend an hour searching for Cyclops upgrade fragments to unlock the Submarine option on the Fabricator because the Cyclops now comes with it's own upgrade fabricator in the engine room (on the starboard side).

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Am I doing this right? I feel like this is the appropriate level of preparation I should be using...

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Okay, rereading it sounds like you're talking Cyclops upgrades ala Moonpool console stuff. So that's an actual pleasant touch of streamlining (Every sale, has been so many confused people trying to deal with the bizarre "Wait, I need to use a fabricator/mod station but it only counts INSIDE the cyclops?" stuff). Even if one that doesn't make up for all the stuff discouraging cyclops use in the first place.

Right, after a 100 hours I'm so used to building a fabricator on the sub right away to build upgrades and I completely whiffed on seeing the fab in the engine room.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

What's progression like atm? I can build a cyclops right now but I still haven't unlocked the moon bay. I feel like I skipped something there.

It's right under your nose. About 300m under the safe shallows.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Carcer posted:

I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure they've done it in part to hide how horizontally small the map is. You can cross the map from one "void" edge to the other in a few minutes using the seamoth (Delays from pop in or bonesharks/reapers not withstanding) and even in the slow cyclops it didn't take particularly long.

Done what? Because it certainly isn't the Cyclops changes seeing as the thing practically flies (relatively speaking) at flank speed. Now getting past the boring part of a trip takes no time at all.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

Speaking of, I've literally never used a dive reel. Is it good for anything at all?

No

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
My latest save is 21mb. :shrug:

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

It would be great if they stayed that way :v: 98% of the save file size is based on you having actually gone anywhere and done anything. Where those folders with fat stacks of 1 kb files starts getting 2000-7000 Kilobyte files liberally sprinkled through them.

Another sign of why they didn't put much thought beyond "Copy/paste = profit". They didn't do the slightest amount of clean up, it copy/pastes EVERYTHING, even poo poo it doesn't need to "help performance". Such as your save specific screenshots folder. Yeah, it copies that over too. While it doesn't really take up all that much space even when taking a billion screenshots, it does increase the feeling of how slapdash this method was.

They probably honestly think "We'll copy everything, even the screenshots folder!" is pro-tier perfection programing life hacks, given they are unironically linking public website articles from 2014 (including mentioning it's from 2014) to back their design decisions. You'd trust The Tech Report™ to program your videogame, right?

Your lunacy is amusing but for anyone who's actually interested my save files with a new game are literally 21mb with the seamoth out to the zones immediately adjacent to the crash zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Teledahn posted:

I would say I haven't explored very much, mostly because I don't know where everything is. I built a cyclops for the first time yesterday. I have visited both islands, taken a terrified trip around the crashed Aurora (on a seaglide!), visited the mushroom forest and the reef full of flat coral trees, been terrified by warpers, spooked by deep caves and made myself a home under the reefbacks of the great plains.

My save game is 1.02 gb? What?

Are you on experimental? I started a new game to check out what the 2.2gb update did since they said it's the start of an optimization pass.