Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Arcturas posted:

I had no idea how the game handles different power supplies. That's really interesting and explains so many of the problems I'm currently having with my main base. Oh well, guess it's going to be broken until I figure out how to install some mods. Or move to another main base...

Alternatively, is there a good way to see how much power various things use? I mostly just throw more bioreactors and 5% efficient solar panels everywhere until I have some power, but if I'm building in the deep depths I'd like to have a little more detail than that.

Thermal plants got me through everything I cared about having. I didn't do nuclear but apparently it's technically not infinite power but so close as to make no difference.

quote:

One, should I learn to be good at torpedoes? I only have access to vortex torpedoes because I can't figure out where to get gas bags/pods at, and I haven't really tried them. Mostly I've been able to Seamoth away from scary things, or hide from them, or punch them with the Prawn suit to make them go away for a bit. (I like that the game doesn't really let you murder your way through everything?) Maybe this goes hand in hand with not using or getting good at the stasis cannon or repulsion cannon, which are tools I should probably figure out.

I beat the game without ever making a torpedo or anything that could fire them. If you feel like they'd be useful to your playstyle go for it, but they're definitely not necessary. I didn't really use the stasis cannon or repulsion cannon either. The game is pretty good about letting you play the way you want.

quote:

Two, I really miss my Seamoth's sonar when I'm doing literally anything else. Yes, the red grid is ugly and I'm sure I missed out on tons of beauty or atmosphere, but man oh man was it convenient at helping me find giant chasms and actually orient myself. In the Prawn suit I had a really hard time climbing up out of the lost river because I couldn't always see up to the next landing spot in the blood kelp zone.

You mentioned you might be building a Cyclops soon. The Cyclops can transport the Prawn suit if you wish, and there is a Cyclops sonar module available to craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

super fart shooter posted:

A little annoyed I just spent a bunch of time and effort building a base near the leviathan fossils and I just now found the giant tree cove. SO much more scenic, and it's even got thermal vents...

Annoying for sure, but at least you get all your materials back when you deconstruct. Should be fairly trivial to move it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

enraged_camel posted:

you land on another planet, and while you're exploring, aliens steal parts of your ship and you have to find them...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Song of the Deep is another underwater game, from 2016. Loosely a Metroidvania.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

gandlethorpe posted:

Bought this game during early access but never got around to playing until yesterday. I played 6 hours straight until I had to stop because of motion sickness (around the time I got the Seamoth), lol. I've been missing out.

I'm finally at the point where I'm looking to build a base. I don't want to spoil too much or rely too much on guides, but can anyone give vague tips on choosing where to build? I found out the place I started building is called Sparse Reef, and that's probably not a great choice going by the name, even if there's a lot of space. Not too late to relocate.

Don't worry too much about getting the "perfect" place. You will likely have multiple bases -- I had 4 major ones by endgame -- and you can deconstruct base components for a 100% component refund. I'm a bit shocked you didn't build a base in the Safe Shallows. 6 hours is a very long time to go without a real base.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I never had much of an issue with the juvenile in the Lost River. Yeah it can bang you up a little but you can usually avoid it noticing you if you run silent and keep your distance, and if you get noticed in either the Cyclops or the Seamoth it won't do much damage to you. Run for it and it'll leave you alone soon after, and you can get out and effect any necessary repairs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
With the caveat that I really, really did not like Outer Wilds, I definitely do not think it is chill or relaxing in any way. Although the gimmick is neat, the timer is short and you are scrambling to try stuff out to figure out what's going on before everything resets and you have to get back there to keep trying. I put significant time in, almost 20 hours, and it did not click for me at all.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I had the Prawn Suit mobility issues as well, but was able to work around them. They only happened to me in alien bases, starting with the one in the Lost River, and at first I thought it might be intentional. It's not, obviously, and it was a pain in the rear end, but didn't mar my experience too badly, and I loved everything else about it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Good lord that's where mine has been...but I'm just waiting to go to the surface and launch. Probably never will: I can't leave my poor cuddlefish. :smith:

I released mine the morning I launched. There is a "say goodbye" button prompt once you take them out :3: I got a little misty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Valtonen posted:

Magnetite is found on the jellyshroom cave a ton.

This is absolutely where you want to go for it, but be advised that it is very hard to see. I was told it was in there and I still couldn't find it for like 3 trips inside until I finally found a piece and learned what I was looking for.