Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Sooo, was using a PRAWN in the lost river, and ran out of power. Annoying, but I’ll respawn in my base and get my Seamoth from the moonpool to collect stuff and get them both back eventually.

Except.

I woke up in a tiny, unpowered tube, an aborted base in the middle of the lost river, a long way away from my unpowered Prawn, and from the surface. Much, much too far to swim. What do I do now? Seems somewhat against the spirit of the game to “lose” and have to restart, but I can’t see any way to not just keep on dying if I can’t get back to the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Away all Goats posted:

deconstruct the tube and die again?

D’oh! Of course. Thanks

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

I’d have loved to see bigger creatures at the end of Subnautica. Give me creatures 30, 40, 50 times bigger than the reaper. Thats all I want. Darkness and huge, horrifying monsters in it.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I've heard the engine probably can't handle that. Given how much the game changed from their original plans, would be nice if for a follow-up (by them or someone else) they switched to something more fitting.

That would be good. I mean, the game is great and I love it, but for me the feeling of looking at/moving around the big creature at the end of the game is unnerving even though it is friendly. Imagine that feeling on something that size or bigger that is hostile. Or having to travel to a separate volcano island a few 1000m away through the void, and you hear huge things moving through the blackness...

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

My thoughts on BZ after playing it properly for a few hours last night:

Pros: seems to run better than the original, nice & smooth
I like the oppressive atmosphere of the dark snowy nights in particular, and the ice blocking you from going to the surface occasionally
The plot seems pretty good, even if I preferred the lonely survival of the first game
The main biome, with the tentacles, is interesting and looks good

Cons: every other biome seems somewhat underwhelming
The entire sense of progression is gone. The joy of subnautica was doing increasingly dangerous dives to get a scrap of info - the best bits of the game for me were when you had to leave your seamoth lights trained on a wreckage because it was below crush depth, jump out, and make a dive down in dangerous waters in the hope of getting a module or, if you were really lucky, a bit of the blueprint for a moonpool or Cyclops. In this game, you scan instructions for a multipurpose room and observatory in the first hour from visiting a base, and a moonpool is just sitting out at one of the early plot locations too. It all feels unearned, and the progression feels utterly underwhelming. The few things you have to find bits of to scan feel extremely safe & easy in comparison to the original too.

I think I’m going to leave it until it officially releases, play through once to see the story, and leave it there. Don’t see any reason to play through more without the end when the original still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

brainwrinkle posted:

I’m about 10 hours into my first play through on PS4 and I still haven’t found any Beacon fragments. I just raided the 250m Degasi habitat and have a decent little base going.

Beacon fragments are in the safe shallows at several places - scout a ring around the shallows and you should find some.