Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just grab the warper in a tactical nelson and crush its head between my pecs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So how many places do you actually need the propulsion cannon for something? I've only ever found one single spot outside the Aurora. I love being able to just banish any cave fuckers that try to nibble on me but it's hard to justify bringing the thing along.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If somebody left that in a time capsule then they're a dick.

there's always one in the Aurora and they don't stack

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think time capsules are random. If you found one it'll be listed in your databank.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Man, medkit dispensers are just a complete waste of time, aren't they? All you need is an armful of creepvine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Advanced wiring kits are never convenient. Not to mention that it needs some creepvine samples regardless. How many of those can you cut and shove into a fabricator while you're waiting for the dispenser to squeeze one out?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bring the forest with you! Plant some creep seeds in grow beds or even alien containment. Then you've got medkits, lube, and rubber. Save on late-game electronics and have a well-stocked deep sea gently caress dungeon.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 11, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You're just jealous of all my rubber.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Where are some really good base locations?

I always like to set up over one of the jellyshroom cave entrances. I'm not sure which one is best if any but they're all right next door to four or five different biomes, and not too far from the safe shallows geyser if you need a little extra power. I call it Jelly Shroom Junction. :kiddo:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In my last game the neighbors dropped like ten of them just playing with salvage on their own. All I had to do was scan.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which door is that?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OgNar posted:

While I am enjoying it, I see that it is as buggy as it ever was.
Yesterday I ran into the same bug I hit like a year ago, in the prawn bay when you go under the water, through the pipes I hit an area where it looks like I can get some air. And it clips me through the ceiling, so I am now between the walls.
The cheat warpforward 10 got me out of it this time. Last time I think I had to go back an hour to my last save.

Just now I finally got my prawn suit built. I load it into the moonpool bay and as I am trying to access the upgrade menu, I just simply get into the suit and it drops me down, through the world and into the jellyshroom caves. Hopefully I can get back up to my base and build a jump upgrade or grapple upgrade and get it back, not sure if the cyclops can get down here.

Still, I do like this game over all. This time I am taking my time to get to big squid lady and just building all the things.
The scanner is a new one for me. Works well finding stuff like quartz, though I did have a helluva time trying to place it connected to my base. It just wouldn't place right.

e: Trying to walk it up this shaft.

The grapple arm should be easier--everything you need can be found above 500m. Can you leave the Prawn Suit there and go get your Seamoth to craft it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GoingPostal posted:

I think I've plateaued in Subnautica at the moment. I got the last breadcrumbs down to the Jellyshroom forest, and nothing after that. Should I go looking for big wrecks to try and finish the cyclops? I think I've gotten everything out of the Aurora, and I think I've been over the floating island.... Have I gotten to far lost in the (sea) weeds and lost the main plot?

Do you have a beacon ping for a sea base at 500m? If not, check the jellyshroom base more thoroughly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As for the Cyclops, I think you're better off searching the sea floor in certain biomes. Cyclops bits are usually rare in wrecks.

When Below Zero is closer to finished, Ice Station Poopsock is going to always be stocked with a dozen of every resource I can find or make.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That one's easy to make, at least--just 10 titanium and 4 quartz (plus all the crap you need for a moonpool and vehicle upgrade console).

Losing the free Cyclops efficiency mod is what would really suck.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oasx posted:

How easy is it to navigate the lava zone with the prawn? That is pretty much the only part of the game I didn't enjoy. Having to constantly stop because of the sea dragon and to peel off those leeches from the cyclops, together with not knowing where to go just wasn't fun.

The Cyclops shield generator, thermal reactor, & sonar are pretty much required for the lava zone. They make it go so much more smoothly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Below Zero is Extremely Unfinished.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WHO THE gently caress SAID POP-IN

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there a "spawn prawnsuit" command?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I managed to get through my entire 2nd (first and only hardcore) playthrough without killing a single animal (holy poo poo why is kelp so utterly devoid of nutrition by the way, why even make it edible if it's that worthless) (barring a couple of unfortunate cyclops windshield splatterings), though I did do a bit of fist-fighting with a few leviathans along the way.

It certainly wasn't easy, given that the aggression AI on pretty much everything that isn't a Stalker is unrelenting and ridiculously terminator-like. It would've been way easier to handle the swarms of bonesharks and ampeels if I could punch them a few times with my prawn suit and drive them off, rather than have them swim 5 meters then circle back for more, especially when there are multiple ampeels crackling all around you, and when they refuse to stop attacking something that can tear rocks apart with its bare metallic hands, hitting them until they stop moving is the only reasonable response (even if it may be possible to behave unreasonably, like I managed with judicious repulsion cannon and stasis rifle usage).

I'm just saying, 3000 hp on an ampeel is ridiculous, supposed pacifistic intent on the developers' behalf or not, when other mid/large non-leviathan predators have nowhere close to that. It's just weird, and makes little to no sense, particularly if they're meant to be an extremely common (dominant, really) species in at least one biome.

turn off your lights

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's only one area above 300m that has magnetite but it's got loving tons of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:eng101: Always follow your signal pings

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scanner rooms only scan for things you've handled or encountered recently, although the requirements for "encountered" can be quite generous.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pssssh stasis rifles are for babies

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you have the Prawn Suit blueprints too?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It sounds like a glitch, but are you carrying any stalker eggs?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Build a growbed instead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pipes would have a use if they were like ten times longer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I think if I had to play again, I would just turn survival mode off. Once you know where salt is, it is pretty much never a problem again.

Yeah, I always played on Freedom because I think the survival stuff just interrupts the real draws--the exploration and building.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Be careful about building a Cyclops in the shallows, too. In fact, just pack up that vehicle bay and drag it out to the grassy plateaux.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Cyclops can be a huge help in the Lava Zone, but it has to be maxed out with shields, sonar, thermal reactor, maybe some ion power cells. So you have to explore the Lava Zone first before you can sail your Cyclops through it. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ssh: the Cyclops shield will instantly dislodge lava larvae

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't guarantee they won't get stuck in the hallways or anything

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UltraRed posted:

NOT ON STEAM NO BUY

Your Loyalty Is Appreciated

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rush to moonpools ASAP imho

Seriously, when you can just stop worrying about your vehicle energy it is a huge game-changer. That should ideally be the very first thing you track down with your shiny new Seamoth.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 8, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I made the Cyclops but it keeps getting attacked by these big worm guys whenever I go further than 0m below the surface so right now I'm just wandering aimlessly trying to find a place where I'm allowed to go down. :shrug:

If they're really big and transparent then you're out of bounds.

You can find places to take your Cyclops down if you look for blood kelp.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warpers only want you to be healthy :kiddo:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I haven't really seen any red kelp.

better dead than red

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

saltylopez posted:

I parked my seamoth inside the Cyclops then went for a journey to Lifepod 13. When I went to hop back in the Seamoth it was just gone. The beacon manager shows nothing (as if I never crafted a seamoth). Is this anything anybody's come across? Frustrating because I had the Mark 3 depth upgrade.

Sounds like the perfect time to craft a Prawn Suit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

So: what are all the fun prawn upgrades?

Grapple arm + jump jet upgrade. Fix those mobility issues forever.

Drill arm is really helpful and something only the Prawn Suit can do, although it does do less damage than the default pinchy arm which might make it less fun.

You're about to head into a big hot zone so the thermal reactor might be nice.