Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a subnautica (Original) question. It says the base scanning range of the Scanning Room is 300 meters, is that radius or diameter?

khy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

2nd question. Is there a maximum length for pipes? I built a floating pump above the really deep cave next to Lifepod 17 (The one with all the big glowing mushrooms) so I could explore it easier but after going down ~150m or so the game won't let me put more pipes on the chain.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Krazyface posted:

I don't know, and I can't find it on the wiki. I never really used them; once you get a seamoth, or the base-building tool, you never really need a deployable to push air downwards.

I use them even though I really don't have much of a NEED to use them. I'm not sure why I like them so much, probably because they remind me of similar mechanics in other games with underwater sequences. They're... reassuring somehow.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The cyclops is almost exactly what I want in a vehicle in any game. Big, customizable, an actual PRESENCE in the world. I love that it's so huge I have to use cameras to properly navigate with it. I love that I can customize the inside with pretty much whatever, and that as I explore inside everything I see is interactive. Too many other games have all their vehicles just like the Seamoth, where there's really no 'exploring' inside them (I know, there really isn't much to explore in the Cyclops, but my point remains). My only gripes is no real weapons and no scanner room.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ikonoklast posted:

Totally agree.

The damage/repair function, where it slowly fills with water, also adds to the feeling of a proper vehicle/submersible.

Not to mention the fact that the controls feel so much more IMMERSIVE. You feel like it's an actual vehicle because it's not all keys you're entering but an actual interface in the world you're interacting with. It's loving huge and unweildy and a bitch to navigate through some areas, but I love it so much. More games really need to take notes, THIS is how a proper vehicle feels. I need something just like it in space.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Well that's the end of a hardcore run I don't feel particularly happy about.

Got to the final alien site, the one with the ion cube generator. Got in my Prawn suit to mine the cubes. Was playing around with the drill arm, and used it on the ground by accident. Suit froze up and wouldn't move whatsoever. No motion, completely stuck. Could look around but couldn't move/jump (Though the jump energy bar DID decrease). Decided to try to save&quit/reload, upon reloading the suit was immediately flung sideways through all the walls and outside of the map. At around 10k or so from the main area I got out of the suit hoping it'd teleport me back or whatever, but instead I drowned.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I also had the bug with the suit getting stuck in the alien base

gently caress playing subnautica hardcore lol. I had a lot of fun with the game but it’s far too janky (especially the obviously rushed second half of the game) for hardcore mode to have any appeal to me at all

I play Hardcore because I feel like if I am stupid enough to forget to watch my oxygen or get eaten by a leviathan I SHOULD have to start over. I've lost about 3 or 4 total hardcore runs, but this was the first time I had a jank issue. Every other loss was me being stupid and diving without watching my timer, so I felt being penalized was A-OK with me. Plus it's made some of the deeper exploration runs where I encounter new areas a LOT more intense. I love intense.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 27, 2020

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

This was the same run where I jumped outside to repair the Cyclops, not realising a leviathan was approaching from the other side. It smashed into the sub- clipping it into me and killing me instantly.

On a hardcore playthrough- I need to start making manual saves for lovely bugs like that.

That hardcore loss doesn't sound like a bug, it sounds like an AMAZING obituary. "Smashed into a fine pulp against the side of his own ship when a sea dragon leviathan crashed into them both"

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

Yeah, but people don't like Epic because they're attached to the ease of Steam. Valve really won the gamble with that one.

Personally I like Epic BECAUSE it's not Steam. I don't get spammed with a thousand lovely low-quality asset flips or 'curators' who recommend lovely hentai games because of cartoon tits.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I thought it did?

They are pretty liberal with free games and they do $10-off-anything coupons which you can chain together by making >$15 purchases. A good spin on ~Steam Sale~.

The last few steam sales were disappointing to me because the AAA games on my wishlist had disappointing discounts and they kept shoving indie games I had no interest in in my face constantly.

Meanwhile the Epic Store's $10 coupon chain was amazing, I got a lot of great games cheap. Including Subnautica. Plus their free game giveaways are pretty decent too; I got Slime Rancher, all 3 Arkham games, Just Cause 4, Killing Floor 2, and quite a few other gems from 'em. Steam was just as good when it was growing, then it got too big and turned to poo poo. Epic may do the same but I'm going to enjoy the 'still good while growing' phase for as long as it lasts.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zesty posted:

...what? I've been using it for over a decade and don't get spammed with anything like that or anything about curators? I literally never encounter curator nonsense? What about it shoves indie games in your face? I have no idea what you're referring to here.

Back when they first introduced the 'discovery queue' I gave it a try and in the first queue it gave me, 2 out of the 12 games were AAA games I already had on my wishlist and the other 10 were indie stuff I had zero interest in. I declined them all and the second queue was about the same. So I gave up on the discovery queue.

A while later when they finally started allowing visual novels and H Games and the like I was in a discussion group with others, some people shared around some really low quality garbage in a 'LOL look what crap is on Steam now' and I looked at it. Steam took my looking at it as interest because for the next week and a half after doing so it constantly threw lovely asset flips and poor quality VN's into the 'recommended' list on my front page.

Then there's the sales where they keep trying to introduce the awful gimmicks. I don't give a poo poo about whatever collectible system you've introduced in your latest winter sale, all I want is good deals on video games. I have a limited budget and I want to stretch that budget to accomodate as many games as I can. Trading cards, the 'points shop' where you buy animated stickers and emojis and dear god it's all just so stupid. Why do I need all this crap just on a system that I use to buy and play video games?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm on the fence here. The original Subnautica was incredible, albeit a bit frustrating since I never felt like the tools I was given were all that effective against leviathans (I tried to make decoys work but they just never really seemed to). The cyclops continues to be one of the single best vehicles in any game I've played, since so many games never give you the chance to explore inside a vehicle. Either your vehicle is just another map (IE : Mass Effect) or you just hop in and drive and can't really explore it. The cyclops remains the best thing about the game when I think back on it.

So Beyond Zero is giving me temptation for more Subnautica lore (Yes, I actually read all the journal entries and scan entries and poo poo) but at the same time I am a bit worried from what I've heard that it just won't live up to the base game. So is it worth the $30 or should I wait for a sale or what?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

You know how other games often have underwater sections with air pockets/air bubbles/whatever? And how other underwater games have a breath meter? Oftentimes I've found myself, while exploring underwater, always finding a sense of comfort and security with those air bubbles. Good example - Assassin's Creed Black Flag, swimming around the diving bell or the barrels with air inside.

For some reason pipes evoke the same sense of security within me. Even though I can just swim up to the surface or enter a habitat, I often find myself hovering around the end of a pipe because of how I get that same sense of safety from them that I get in other games that have underwater exploration sections. It's bizarrely comforting just because I've been conditioned by all the other games that put air sources in water.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm doing a replay of Subnautica before starting a BZ run.

I always build lots of mini-bases consisting of pretty much just scanner rooms and maybe a charger or fabricator, but I'm trying to decide where I should build my big, sprawling mega base. Any suggestions?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm pretty sure the scanner room DOES find items further away from what is loaded, if you just give it time. It just takes a long time to scan. Hence being given the option to improve speed with chips (But IMO that's really never a better option than simply widening the search area and going out to explore while it scans).

Also - decided to set up base on the big ridge in the NW. I'm bordering underwater islands, the northwest blood kelp zone, the western mushroom forest, and the northwest grassy plateau. A very centralized location for endgame access to the lost river under the blood kelp zone, and in the meantime tons of wrecks to explore nearby while I set up my sprawling hamster habitat.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 21, 2021

khy
Aug 15, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

also whats the best way to do scanning rooms deep under water? solar panel isnt really cutting it anymore

I'm a fan of building a single foundation, an outdoor growbed, a multi-purpose room, and a scanning room. Fill the outdoor growbed with either acid mushrooms or deep shrooms (They injure you when you attack them for seeds in the wild, but the ones in your growbeds they won't injure you when you farm 'em), each shroom is worth like 200 power. You can fit 16 of them into a bioreactor which gives you a dazzling 3200 power per refill. You can also use gel sacks instead of mushrooms, they give roughly the same amount of energy. Grabbing fish and putting them in too works, but it's less convenient than a growbed farm.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Oasx posted:

The scariness of the original Subnautica has been hyped up so much, that people now think of it as a horror game.

I never felt 'scared' during Subnautica, but there were so many times I felt a really amazing sense of suspense and tension. Diving into a tunnel and getting lost, trying to find your way out as your oxygen ticks down. Entering a new Biome where all you can see is odd glowing lights amid pure blackness. The leviathans weren't ever really 'scary' (Except the very first time I went into the crash zone, one came up from behind and grabbed me without me seeing him and to suddenly have the camera twirl around, see a six-tentacled horror roaring in your face then eat you was a jump) but the tension of slowly moving past them in the cyclops with silent running on staring at the yellow dot hoping it doesn't turn red was suspenseful as hell and I loved it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

I once got all the way into the lava zone in my cyclops and went to hop into my prawn suit only to realize I left it in my base.

Also you all are crazy for building main bases in weird spots I have one giant base next to my escape pod / drop pod and MAYBE a few thermal scanning rooms for annoying pickups and fragments.

Doing a run with dozens of massive bases does sound kind of fun though…
The thing is there are some biomes that are so goddamn beautiful (Bulb Zone, Deep Grand Reef) that the moment I got there I immediately go 'gently caress I WANNA BUILD A BASE HERE. Then I spend way too long farming up titanium and quartz and building up a bigass glass base that's horribly lopsided because one end will be multipurpose rooms with tons of reinforcements and then another area that's basically 75% glass.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The cyclops is still the best vehicle because it has the best AI voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HJ4k0lmws

Side question - is there a way to play Survival mode with O2 alerts disabled so it's like Hardcore mode minus the permadeath?

khy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 29, 2021

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In my current replay of Subnautica I kept getting harassed by a reaper leviathan. I was building a thermal plant next to a vent in the biome way to the west of the drop pod, next to the red grass area. A leviathan kept attacking me and wouldn't leave me alone. I used the stasis rifle and the thermoblade to.... dissuade him from attacking me but he kept retreating further and further away from the biome he was originally in and was in like the kelp forests and poo poo. Finally I got so tired of him harassing me I just went full on slasher and killed him. I know the game tries to emphasize avoidance and misdirection over violence but he earned it by NOT LEAVING ME ALONE GODDAMNIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Who's got two thumbs and JUST now found out you can charge up stasis shots? This guy!