Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to play this more but I gave it about five minutes worth recently and got jump scared really loving bad by the exploding fish. Not sure I'd do so well with the other horrors of the deep :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Like I don't have gently caress THE OCEAN syndrome as bad as some (thinkin of Criken here) but the distant roaring I remember would sure as hell have me on edge more under the sea than anywhere else. :(

I know it's not really that kind of game but how much guidance is there in the main campaign or whatever it is?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well I picked some floaters off of a rock after the (sweet, new to me) intro and the game crashed, taking steam with it, so that's neat

good to only go 15 minutes before discovering there's no autosave, i s'pose

(e) oh, the intro can be skipped, that helps :v:

(e again) jesus christ, twice in 45 minutes? Didn't take Steam with it this time, just unceremonious app closure. Anyone else seen this?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 13, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Will I get a way to recharge batteries anytime soon? I know copper and shrooms aren't exactly uncommon but recharging my seaglide is kind of annoying.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I beelined to the habitat thingy and built a foundation right by my lifepod, a single tube hallway, a solar panel, and like fifty goddamn lockers. Nice having storage space..

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Without a world map I am never ever going to be able to figure out or remember where everything is. I get disorientated enough in 2D space let alone having 3D oceanic space and caves to work out. :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there must have mods for a first time player? Can they be dropped in to a campaign in progress? Only like three hours in so not a big deal if not

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh jeez a creepy alien thing just went 'wtf m8' at me telepathically and i want to stop playing now :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait can stuff like my seaglide not take powercells, why did i build this power cell charger then, it can't charge batteries

wadafuq

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Still no sign of battery charger plans, or laser cutter for that matter which is REALLY cramping my style at this point

I've built a moonpool, bioreactors, food farms for aforesaid, and a seamoth and I can't make a laser cutter? :mad:

(e) That tantalizing sounding scanner room, too, need more fragments for that thing.

(e2) Found a time capsule which was amusing and also had an ion power cell and ion batteries, dunno when I'd get those normally but my seamoth sure ain't complaining :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess I can make a Cyclops now before I can even make a scanner room. Ok????

Gotta figure out how to get stalker teeth though, don't actually have any weapons besides ol' stabby.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I mean I was able to murder one successfully by using a battery in a roundabout way* but I didn't see any teeth or anything anywhere. Wonder if I was supposed to harvest the corpse with the knife a la Monster Hunter.

stabbing a sea predator sounds like my nightmares :cry:

* ramming in seamoth and subsequent repair

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So I just made the Cyclops and now I'm wondering a) what's next and b) can I build more storage into this thing somehow because hot diggity drat a mobile underwater base is cool as heck.

I've got a little minibase I started under my lifepod for growing food and storing poo poo because idk wtf i'm doing, dunno if I should just leave it there or tear it down or what

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 17, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Do you have the prawn suit? Once you have the cyclops and the prawn suit you can start diving deeper into the endgame biomes

Short a couple of lithium and a diamond on that one, but I'm close.

The Cyclops can only carry the Seamoth OR the Prawn, right? Not both at once? What should I use when?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well, now I've got the Prawn :D Not too sure what to do with it, it's just got punchy arms and nothing else, but at least I have it.

gonna go punch that reaper nerd gonna punch him goooood

actually no i'm not that's too scary but idk what else to do at the mo'

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

and i STILL CAN'T CHARGE BATTERIES :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just got a scanner room going. I imagine I want these dotted all around the place, but do I want range, speed or both for upgrades?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I kind of don't want to explore anywhere with the Prawn because of how hard it is to travel vertically in it. Oh god what if I strand that expensive thing in the Jellyshroom biome :ohdear:

Finished looking around there and the Degassi area though, finally made a battery charger, then realized there's no reason I can't have a fabricator and radio in the cyclops and made those, and now the world is my oyster.

Except I've run out of guidance from the radio and I haven't a sodding clue where to explore next. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can the Cyclops recharge energy in its power cells somehow? If not, and I have a power cell charger in it, I assume that's zero sum, right, or are there losses (or am I creating energy from nothingness :v:)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't seen the need or use for silent running or weaponry or similar yet. I imagine I will of course this being a game that loving hates me and wants me to die of cardiac arrest, I haven't been below 300m yet because the dark is terrifying :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

"This ecological biome matches 7 of the 9 preconditions for stimulating terror in humans."

thanks, thanks game

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 18, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tonight's "oh gently caress me it's 2:30 in the morning" whinge: how the hell can i not build a modification station yet, i just KNOW i should have had that a dog's age ago

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Have you been exploring wrecks

Every one I see and can! I keep finding mobile vehicle bay fragment #463 or seamoth and laser cutter fragments because obviously i have both

Think tomorrow later today, jesus I'm gonna go back to the Aurora and start there, I know there's Jerks about but I never thoroughly explored the seabed there, especially near the fore of the ship

(e) god's sakes i've tussled with crabsquid (ended marginally, i got the scan so i claim moral victory) and warpers (fuckin cheaters) and been to a place with green gassy crap on the ground and lots of uranite, and i can't even build good fins or a proper O2 tank :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 18, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so I guess that was the deep grand reef I ran through last nightthis morning where i found the last degasi base? how are people coming up with the names of places outside of the wiki, I wouldn't have called that a reef, more of a spoopy deathzone

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

weird lovecraftian magic hell system.

-every code base i've ever worked on, 2018

Finally found the last modification station fragment by building an outpost near a thermal vent by the fore port of the Aurora and scanning for fragments. gently caress's sake that was convoluted, but at least now I have a proper charging station rather than one driven by solar and rotted fish.

Can I have more than one thermal plant by a vent to transmit more power, or does one plant max it out?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Faaaantastic.

Now that I'm kitted out time to go looking for prawn drill arm fragments because gently caress me i need copperrrrrrrrrrr

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vargs posted:

This game starts out spooky but by the end, you're so accustomed to it all that even Leviathans become a minor, mostly ignorable nuisance that you occasionally need to roll your eyes at and swat away.

Also if you can find a motivational poster to see on your way to another dive, that really helps

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just making sure, the LOD/popin is really amazingly bad for everyone in this game, right? Nothing on my compy is broken?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If you like this sort of thing, Giant Bomb dropped their release Quick Look today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU-6kWo2Yjk

Listening to it in the background while I try to navigate the spooky poo poo and going 'oh if only you knew :allears:' is kinda fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The fear has vanished and been replaced by annoyance, so any advice on making ghost leviathans just kinda gently caress off and go away (or die, if needs must) without torpedoes?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Works for me. Putting critical tears into my cyclops is just annoying because you bet I'm just gonna quit and reload if THAT disaster strikes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Welp 3 hours of lost game time in a power blink means I'm not finishing Subnautica, a game without autosave in TYOOL 2018

Got my 30 hours but wowee did a lot of goodwill just get loving burned in fire

Guess I'll just watch jacksepticeye's full release playthru or something, at least get a touch of closure

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

It really speaks to the strengths of this game that when it decided to eat my 35-hours played save file, I started over instead of uninstalling and telling the devs to go gently caress themselves.

I will admit I considered it briefly

But only briefly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nope, go nuts, you can always deconstruct it and get 99% of your resources back anyway

(100% except the lost energy in your constructor battery)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It says so much about this game that I'm still thinking about playing it despite uninstalling after losing literal hours of progress to a power outage because of no autosave in TYOOL 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Arite I gave up and reinstalled and made up my progress

But now I have a new question, where the gently caress is the magnetite

I found bits and bobs of it in the lost river where i'm plotting to build a big ole base since I can't get the cyclops down there near where the lava zone entrance (I think) is, but I've never seen a deposit of it or a large amount of single items

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

Jellyshroom Caves have both these things, handy enough. You can also get Lithium while you are down there.

Blargh, alright, off on a long journey then

navigating the Cyclops out of the section of Lost River I have it stuck in right now is going to be assholes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeesh made it out, loving ghost leviathans and gross trees, that was annoying

Think the ol' Cyclops is staying out of the Lost River from now on, it can hang out at my (nuclear) base I have at the entrance near where pod 2 went down when I'm down there in the Prawn

But first a trip to Jellyshroom land to stock way the hell up on magnetite and lithium, thanks for the advice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Do you use the external cameras on the Cyclops? Swapping between the keel and conning tower views helps a ton when navigating tight spaces.

Oh god if I didn't know about the camera I wouldn't have even tried :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

It's a longer round trip from a raw distance traveled perspective, but the lost river access at the Northern side of the map blood kelp is what I use these days. Because it's far, FAR less cramped. Like, you could manage with no cameras if you wanted with only a few bumps.

I tried exiting via the bramble sections and I remembered why I don't even bother letting my cyclops anywhere near that leg of the lost river anymore.

Isn't that where I went in, near pod 2? Isn't that the north end?

gently caress, what's at the north end of the map, I don't even

Actually has anyone drawn like a top down overhead map of where all the surface features (and entrances for subsurface) are? Since I'm spoiled anyway that would be super duper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rad, thanks. :cheers: