Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dylguy90 posted:

I keep playing this game on hardcore, dying, and then being too slow to savescum before my progress gets wiped. Reminds me of Sunless Sea

I guess I'm saying game is good and I am a sadistic person

I like the idea of perma-death hardcore, but I wish they'd allow the oxygen warnings to be an independent option rather than disabling them entirely. It just seems like an unnecessarily brutal omission that would lead to many, many frustrating deaths for the sake of "realism" in a game that involves creating computers from coral with matter fabricators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The fish can reproduce up until there are 10 in the tank. You can have a lot more but they stop breeding when there are ten. Each stacked aquarium adds another 10 that can be bred. I don't know about the bioreactor thing.

Huh, I've been playing this off and on for the last month and I had no clue you could stack rooms. That said, the absolute most frustrating thing to deal with is the lovely habitat placement interface. It always seems impossible to get corridors/rooms lined up where I want them.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Viperix posted:

I'm very interested in this, but don't normally play betas/demos/early access games. However, this game looks fairly far along and appears to be the right way to do early access. I often replay games I enjoy, and I've been wanting to play a first person survival game for a while now. Can I play it now, or at this point, since it seems relatively close to release, should I just wait?

I'm generally the same way, but I've been casually playing this for the last couple months and haven't felt the lack of story really. Everything is mostly driven by fairly logical self discovery...There's a big crashed ship over there, I should go check it out, oh wait it's leaking radiation, but I can build a radiation suit, etc....

As far as bugs, unfinished stuff, I've been playing on experimental and really haven't run into anything to game breaking (I'm putting some pretty light hours into this though, like maybe 4hr/week). Honestly it's already in better shape than a lot of AAA games on release day. There was one moment where no one could build habitat buildings for couple days right when I finally collected everything I needed to build a moonpool, but that's about as annoying as it got. Major updates do suggest a complete restart, but it's pretty easy to get back to where you were once you "get" how things work.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Bup posted:

Is there actually an endgame and stuff to this now? I played it maybe a year ago and it was fun for a few days but there was nothing to actually do once you had the big submarine aside from looking at the pretty biomes for a while. I also turned off the hunger and thirst since they were completely overbearing.

Would be neat on VR.

They're adding actual content at a pretty good clip right now. The next update is supposedly going to add some areas to the Aurora and they've been adding some of the "End Game" facility over the last several patches. That said, there's no cohesive story at this point.

VR support is kind of lacking at the moment, but that's a good thing, because I'm pretty sure this game may be the first VR game to actually kill someone when a Reaper sneaks up on them for the first time

GreyjoyBastard posted:

More seriously I am trying to work through it, not least because I want to go scuba diving someday.

I guess that's one way to handle a fear....The last thing I want to do after playing this game is go scuba-diving.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 28, 2016

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

Exposure therapy is actually an effective way to deal with phobias. Immersing yourself entirely in your phobic environment tends to make your anxiety go down. I've done it for a few things.

Granted, my exposures did not involve close proximity with giant man-eating sea-assholes, so your mileage may vary.

My anxiety levels while playing this game are directly related to the number of Reapers I see per play period. Sometimes it's chill as gently caress and relaxing...other times I have a desperate need to find an open field with a few hundreds of yards of visibility in every direction to sit in for awhile.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 28, 2016