Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Once on a load my scanner room somehow lost all its upgrades and I was so flummoxed I just gave up on the base.

This was the same run where I jumped outside to repair the Cyclops, not realising a leviathan was approaching from the other side. It smashed into the sub- clipping it into me and killing me instantly.

On a hardcore playthrough- I need to start making manual saves for lovely bugs like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Zesty posted:

cost per hour of playtime to 100%

I keep running into this idea more and more lately- how is this not considered the most antithetical to fun concept to ever exist?

Like the very notion of judging a game on a how long it takes to finish all the [CONTENT] makes me not want to play it at all.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Truga posted:

you wouldn't want to pay a normal price for a movie ticket if the movie was 13 minutes long either.
This is a bad comparison- Movies are the length they are because it roughly takes that long to let a story develop and breathe at a pace most audiences can take in.

You cant really compare a 13 and 90 minute movie to a 2 hour and 40 hour on average game. You can have a satisfying experience in a "short" game that doesn't feel rushed.

Theres a big difference between knowing a game is a longer or shorter experience and judging it's worth sight unseen based on how long that proposed experience "should" take.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

This game is a loving master class in slowly dropping bomb after bomb on you on top of the easy-going base building and resource collecting. Just gotta get me some nickel and figure out how CURE MY SPACE RONI.

I like how I know precisely where you are -physically- in this game based on what truth bombs you know.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Feelin a bit salty about this game.

Got killed by a leviathan through a cave wall on a hardcore run. Just jumped out of the prawn to grab a crystal, heard a scream and that was it.

It's my own fault for trusting the buggiest section of the game.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Because I'm a dumb stupid idiot and cannot learn basic lessons such as making manual saves for known buggy sections.

It's my nine hour run to throw in the garbage because of something out of my control I guess.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

As angry as I am I actually just want to start over and try again already.

I wasnt really speedrunning or anything but surely I can get to the same place in much less time.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Question: Where is your favorite place to setup a base?

Wrong answers only.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I miss the terraform gun.

Also, I haven't tested this in a while, but can you still build items near or partially in the terrain to create tunnels? I think they took that out with the terraform gun.

Fun fact- in a previous version of the game, the Aurora was buggy enough that you could hop off the ship geometry to access the control room on the far side of the prawn hanger bay. There are actually a few rooms back there and had batteries and crates present. When I go to the Aurora now I wonder if the items are still up there.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Well, I finally beat hardcore mode- didn't even have to revert a save like I was prepared to do in case of a bugged death. I actually did the whole game without building the cyclops until the very very end. Because it's required, come to find out. Which sucks. I actually highly recommend it- taking a Prawn full up on storage modules hiking to set up deep bases was super enjoyable, and didn't feel like I had a big fragile baby to watch over. Also mastering the grappling hook to get fairly fast travel speed was a good challenge.

It was super interesting to see What happened if you turned off the gun prior to the Sunbeam entering orbit.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 2, 2020

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yes, the message from the captain is what I was alluding to with the spoilered text.

It's nice that they thought of that- but yeah if you shut the gun off after the ship begins its countdown timer the animation for the gun will still proceed.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yes maximum vehicle depth is incredibly important to keep an eye on.

Also killer fish.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

gently caress sea lockers.

Just drop your poo poo in the sand and hope for the best.

dont do this actually

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Good job!

Also do yourself a favor and make a scanner room if you can- it makes finding hard to locate items SO much easier.

I tend to make my bases at the crossroads of three biomes so a single scanner can find whatever I need- though its rarely pretty.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

CyberLord XP posted:

While I would love them to have BZ stuff in the first game, they've made clear that they are not cool with anyone taking content from BZ and inserting it into the first game.

Well heres the thing about Mods for a single player game...

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Well, one of three entrances anyway.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I absolutely adore most of the fauna models you encounter in this game, but I really wish the Sea Dragon Leviathan model was replaced with something else. It's clearly a first draft of...something else in that area that they left in.

It shouldn't have arms like that, is really what I'm saying. Bring back the guy who made the Ghost Leviathan.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Oh yeah- way before. Different artist too.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah theres a lot to love about the game but you have to be willing to work past some poo poo.

Like look at my own posts- I got killed when a sea dragon killed me through a wall without even seeing it.

On iron man mode.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Wow these bug accounts are making me rethink how I feel about it to be honest.

Game....bad?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah the very fact that you used :rip: for the console release kinda proves my point here.

By comparison the console releases of bethesda games are downright stable should tell you something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Real downer of a thread this is shaping up to be.