Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

well why not posted:

how's that? next question? Did Alice have superpower at one stage? she was mad with sunglasses about 'her powers' which is hell of a ting to mention offhand.

I haven't seen it, but Alice getting her powers back (she had zombie superpowers at some point, possibly the second movie?) and forced to work with Wesker (who I think was president?) was the cliffhanger of the last movie, but I guess they decided gently caress it and wrote off the whole thing with a single line of dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

how's that? next question? Did Alice have superpower at one stage? she was mad with sunglasses about 'her powers' which is hell of a ting to mention offhand.

Towards the end of the second movie and some of the third movie she is literally Tetsuo from Akira but they decided to switch that to her having an army of clones at her side instead but the decided to switch that to her just being super agile and great at fighting.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think 3 is the only one where she displays super powers beyond super agility etc. She sets a murder of zombie crows on fire, hacks a satellite remotely with her brains, and fights the last zombie with Jean Grey telepathy.

Oh, there's also the end of 2 where she remotely gives a guy accelerated brain cancer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Oh, there's also the end of 2 where she remotely gives a guy accelerated brain cancer.

At the end of The Final Chapter I certainly sympathised.

Neo Rasa posted:

Towards the end of the second movie and some of the third movie she is literally Tetsuo from Akira but they decided to switch that to her having an army of clones at her side instead but the decided to switch that to her just being super agile and great at fighting.

This franchise is chaotic.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The series makes me think of a little kid playing with action figures, or a pre-teen writing lovely self-insert fanfiction (original character; do not steal) where all the regular characters are totally in awe of how awesome this new character is. 'Hmm, all these canon characters are super dull. I know! My superpowered wife teams up with them to save their asses repeatedly, and along the way she's joined by a wise-cracking pimp and a no-nonsense TV reporter. *opens RE wikia* Okay, uh, we'll use Jill, sure, but only for the second mov... Holy moly! She shows up in a game as a superpowered villain in a purple catsuit?! Oh man, using that.'

I don't think I've seen any of them all the way through except the first two. My brother thinks they're great so I've seen bits and bites of the other ones and they're just painfully stupid and bad. An evil Michelle Rodriguez clone (?) punched a guy so hard his heart exploded or something is about the last bit I remember seeing.

And from something I read, a lot of the actors from the fifth movie weren't asked to come back for the sixth movie. Is there some throwaway line like 'We won, but we lost everyone else in the battle', or is it just glossed over with no continuity like pretty much everything else in the series?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Whenever Alice isn't onscreen, characters are asking "Where's Alice?"

Can't wait for Alice to get that time machine.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

And from something I read, a lot of the actors from the fifth movie weren't asked to come back for the sixth movie. Is there some throwaway line like 'We won, but we lost everyone else in the battle', or is it just glossed over with no continuity like pretty much everything else in the series?

Each of their deaths is described in great graphic detail while Alice writes in her journal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It's weird but the only thing bugging me about the 6th movie is that Wesker lost his powers and it went to absoloutly no lengths to explain why. It sorta bothered handwaving why other stuff changed but not that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

They give a few lines that Wesker was lying in the end of 5. Alice doesn't have superpowers, and once all the heroes were summoned, Wesker and Umbrella pulled out to kill them all.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Do they show the super epic White House battle that was promised in The Penultimate Chapter?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Do they show the super epic White House battle that was promised in The Penultimate Chapter?

lol no that's glossed over. oh and she doesn't have her super powers.

still enjoyed it, good finale.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No. The movie starts in the aftermath of that battle in a (admittedly impressive) bombed out DC.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

No. The movie starts in the aftermath of that battle in a (admittedly impressive) bombed out DC.

The completely leveled city was pretty sweet. some solid design work went into that, made for a great setpiece to the opening Alice v Monster fight

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That first fight was where the sound editing really started grating on me, all at once.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

That first fight was where the sound editing really started grating on me, all at once.

Remember any specifics? I tend to only remember sound design when a scene emphasizes it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Perhaps the theatre was to blame for part of it, but the volume that made the dialogue clear made the loud parts painfully loud, and that fight in particular was painfully loud right off the bat. More importantly, whenever the movie does that multiple-jump-scare thing it does whenever there's biting and snapping monsters, there's not just the sound of the monster but some non-diegetic irritating metallic sounds thrown in.

(Why is it that movies with bestial monsters always imagine that they will make screeching noises that are far more aggravating than scary? Alien, I guess.)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Perhaps the theatre was to blame for part of it, but the volume that made the dialogue clear made the loud parts painfully loud, and that fight in particular was painfully loud right off the bat. More importantly, whenever the movie does that multiple-jump-scare thing it does whenever there's biting and snapping monsters, there's not just the sound of the monster but some non-diegetic irritating metallic sounds thrown in.

(Why is it that movies with bestial monsters always imagine that they will make screeching noises that are far more aggravating than scary? Alien, I guess.)

Yeah I don't remember the first fight being overbearingly loud, but thinking back you're on the money with metallic monster sounds

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I saw the movie twice, in two different theaters, and the first fight was uncomfortably loud, both places.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, the beginning of the movie was uncomfortably loud at my theater too. The movie got better as it went, and I felt like I got exactly the movie I was expecting. I enjoyed it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, it did get better as time went on. I wasn't grating my teeth during the big tower fight or anything, just that first fight scene had me bracing myself for the whole film to be painfully loud.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Same here. The first fight was weirdly loud in my cinema too but I assumed it was just bad sound mixing in the cinema or whatever. They always seem to have serious trouble getting it right and in movies like Mad Max: Fury road you could hardly hear the dialogue. It was a good excuse to go see it twice in a different better cinema.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really liked how little effort they went to, disguising semi-rural Australia as apocalyptic USA. They just tinted the picture slightly and threw some more garbage everywhere.

Some of the cars were even Australia-specific models that aren't really sold anywhere else in the world. Didn't realise that Ipswitch was between Washington DC and Raccoon City.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

well why not posted:

I really liked how little effort they went to, disguising semi-rural Australia as apocalyptic USA. They just tinted the picture slightly and threw some more garbage everywhere.

Some of the cars were even Australia-specific models that aren't really sold anywhere else in the world. Didn't realise that Ipswitch was between Washington DC and Raccoon City.

To be fair, Ipswich and Logan are basically an apocalyptic wasteland already so I guess it was just cheaper to film on location.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lots of zombie looking people out there too, makes casting extras very easy when you have meth addicts on tap

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

"THE TRINITY OF BITCHES!" :lol:

I finally saw this, and I think it's the best one of the franchise. The reasons the Umbrella Corporation gave for wiping out humanity were understandable (dare I say desirable? :smug:).

Currently standing at $1.23 billion, when do you think they'll reboot this franchise? A good filmmaker and writer could do something interesting with the present day issues of surveillance, A.I., genetic engineering, and corporate influence that is so prevalent throughout the series. Perhaps they could do a Logan scenario where they consciously distance it from being a video-game adaptation?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

well why not posted:

Irk??

And did you notice that the world isn't really covered in zombies, talk about not realistic!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

504 posted:

And did you notice that the world isn't really covered in zombies, talk about not realistic!

I know the point of your post but this reminds of how the goofiness of how they retconned out the earth being covered in zombies between movies three and four.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Word.

I get unreasonably irritated by reconns that render previous movies meaningless. It's a bigger version of the "it was all a dream" ending

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

well why not posted:

After the apocalypse all countries become Australia.

The only question ever is, how quickly.

:rock:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm consistently impressed by how much The Final Chapter made the previous movie completely and utterly irrelevant with retcons and continuity fuckups. The Red Queen's personality and purpose alone through the entire series is a mindblowing gaffe that deserves some kind of fuckup trophy.

Maybe they can give the reboot of the franchise to Joel Edgerton so he can cast himself as Barry Burton.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I hope the reboot series has a serious tone. They could do a lot of interesting social commentary (in relation to current events) about corporations creating the T-Virus.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DLC Inc posted:

I'm consistently impressed by how much The Final Chapter made the previous movie completely and utterly irrelevant with retcons and continuity fuckups. The Red Queen's personality and purpose alone through the entire series is a mindblowing gaffe that deserves some kind of fuckup trophy.

Maybe they can give the reboot of the franchise to Joel Edgerton so he can cast himself as Barry Burton.
Barry Burton Begins

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love this stupid series. I hope for more with Mila (Milla?).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

RedSpider posted:

I hope the reboot series has a serious tone

What the gently caress

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Zombies that feel bad for eating people and a tyrant that is only violent because of its conflicted feelings about other male monsters.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

RedSpider posted:

I hope the reboot series has a serious tone. They could do a lot of interesting social commentary (in relation to current events) about corporations creating the T-Virus.

The dead rise from the grave and get eaten by people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Astrochicken posted:

Man after all is the real monster.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not gonna lie, if they went Full Blomkamp with the reboot series I'd probably dig it

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What the gently caress

In the vein of 28 Days Later, doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

Well, iZombie just had a scene where zombie soldiers had to fire on rioting humans to protect innocent zombie civilians who were just trying to eat brains in peace.

It's halfway there already, really.

• Locked thread