Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It makes sense from an evolution of mythology perspective. Fire is basically magic to primitive humans, so it makes sense that their mythology would explain its origins as supernatural/divine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Fire is kind of the first step to technology, which would allow mankind to grow to a point where we could be possibly overthrow gods.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
He's all about free will but he has his own sense of morality. You can do whatever you want but you better be prepared to accept the consequences.

He's not quite a true amoral facilitator but he's pretty drat close.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

It makes sense from an evolution of mythology perspective. Fire is basically magic to primitive humans, so it makes sense that their mythology would explain its origins as supernatural/divine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Fire is kind of the first step to technology, which would allow mankind to grow to a point where we could be possibly overthrow gods.

Absolutely, but do any of the mythologies have man come by it "honestly" via approved gifting from the pantheon?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Absolutely, but do any of the mythologies have man come by it "honestly" via approved gifting from the pantheon?

Not that I know of. A cursory Google search turns up nothing. Religions from every continent contain a "theft of fire" myth. There probably is one somewhere, but, it's certainly not any mainstream major mythology.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looks like ol' Ben Franklin was wrong then. Beer is not proof that god loves us an wants us to be happy. That rear end in a top hat didn't even want us to have beer in the first place.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

In the book of Enoch

I've always wanted to use this correctly in a comic thread:

NOT CANON.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

I've always wanted to use this correctly in a comic thread:

NOT CANON.
Haha.

But really, 99% of the mythology about Lucifer and the fall is also not canon, so...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

Haha.

But really, 99% of the mythology about Lucifer and the fall is also not canon, so...

Still more canon than any depiction of Hell itself since the year 5 C.E.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's a reason that I have specifically referred to mythology in this thread, since I'm not talking about the beliefs of any denomination.

There is no existing canon to which this show adheres, so any and all mythology is fair game for inspiration.

But seriously, they need to introduce another angel soon. It feels like the heavenly host doesn't really give much of a poo poo that Lucifer has left hell with a demon and they are messing around on earth. Amenadiel is the only who seems to care, and it kind of seems like the only reason he cares is because he is supposed to be doing Lucifer's job in hell, which he is also shirking.

But it is kind of funny that Amenadiel, some lesser angel that no one has ever heard of, is the only one who gives a poo poo about Lucifer misbehaving.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

But it is kind of funny that Amenadiel, some lesser angel that no one has ever heard of, is the only one who gives a poo poo about Lucifer misbehaving.

I think part of it is that Amenadiel is running Hell right now so the system as a whole is undisturbed. Like maybe God told him "yeah if you can get Lucifer back that'd be cool, but otherwise you're on pain duty".

If you get a situation where Hell starts spilling out in the real world, then you'll see a larger response.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

While there isn't yet enough to really go on in the show, it seems like the angels are a real do what they're told bunch. Amenadiel was ordered to go key an eye on hell and try and get Lucifer back in it. So Gabriel doesn't really care because he's got his own thing god told him to do. Now if Gabriel's task is made complicated by Lucifer not being in hell, then he'll probably want to say something.

It's probably going to come down to how god runs heaven in this imagining. If he's an absentee deity or if he's still there giving orders that only he understands.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I think part of it is that Amenadiel is running Hell right now so the system as a whole is undisturbed. Like maybe God told him "yeah if you can get Lucifer back that'd be cool, but otherwise you're on pain duty".

If you get a situation where Hell starts spilling out in the real world, then you'll see a larger response.

It just seems like Amenadiel isn't actually keeping an eye on hell, either. He seems to be living on Earth under the pretense of being there to get Lucifer to come back to hell. Which is pretty funny to me.

I mean I dig it, it just feels a little lopsided that we have Lucifer and Mazikeen repping the rebellion and Amenadiel by himself being generally ineffectual. Seeing another angel chewing out Amenadiel for failing or something would flesh things out a bit.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's Trixie. Calling it. You guys can quote me when I'm right in season 4.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's Trixie. Calling it. You guys can quote me when I'm right in season 4.

Spoiler: she is literally the Anti-Christ, the result of a one-night-stand Luci had with some rando chick (probably named Mary or Maria or suchlike) on his first night on Earth. Her mom died when she was born and Chloe Decker adopted her. This would also explain why she resembles neither of her 'parents', but does look a little like Lucifer.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
What if being the "Devil" has to be consensual? :aaaaa:

Like, without the angel's, or whomsoever's, consent you can not reign in Hell?

Maybe being the "Dark lord" of the underworld is a choice and not a punishment?

Maybe that's the message here?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lucifer probably had to sign one of those Scientology SeaOrg contracts that lasts a billion years.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Magicians, it's a better show anyway.
:what:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Boo This Man posted:

I hope that Neil Gaimon is brought in to help write and give the show direction. I would want to see Constatine and the Endless introduced.

Medullah posted:

Please no. They decided to ignore the source material and somehow made a good product. Trying to incorporate the source material back in will lead to disaster.
Yeah they would be better off leaving this as a standalone unrelated thing and save the real Lucifer and Endless stories for some other project.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

I wonder, are the ruling deities in all the pantheons such absolute cocks about fire? Humans getting fire seems to fairly frequently be the result of someone disobeying the divine order.
The ancient alien overlords never intended the slave monkeys to be able to make their own rockets. Obviously.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Snak posted:

. It feels like the heavenly host doesn't really give much of a poo poo that Lucifer has left hell with a demon and they are messing around on earth. Amenadiel is the only who seems to care, and it kind of seems like the only reason he cares is because he is supposed to be doing Lucifer's job in hell, which he is also shirking.

It's all part of God's plan. He works in mysterious ways. ;)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm sure Lucifer will get out of this one with no trouble.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
"You were about to make a sexual joke about putting me in a position, weren't you?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm really enjoying both of these teamups.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
This is a very fun finale, if nothing else. Amanadiel and Lucifer just bro'ing it up while Decker and Maze galpal a little is hilarious.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That was a great finale. Definitely looking forward to next season.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
GUESSES TIME! Who's their 'mom'?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Mum = Lilith right? Not really his mother but can't think of anyone else

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Here I was thinking that we're right back in comics territory with the "Lucifer does a job for God" thing, but "mom" is a giant swerve back away.

My initial reactionary thought was Lilith, but that doesn't make sense for any number of reasons. At least one of which doesn't have to do with the comics, even.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Thoroughly enjoy the whole thing....my reaction to the final part.

Mum. :stare: BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAH! :laffo:

Can't wait for next season.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

VendaGoat posted:

Ditto for us, laughing out loud. So good. Can't wait to see who/what mom is!

Such a fun show.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well THAT's new. Never heard of a "Mom" before. Geez, what did SHE do?!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:laffo: got scorned

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Harry posted:

Mum = Lilith right? Not really his mother but can't think of anyone else

That was my immediate assumption. In the proper mythology Lilith would be the closest figure to a mother I could think of, but even then not really.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Did the Sex and enjoyed it. also wasn't married while so doing.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
It has to be Lilith. She's the mother of all demons, right?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It... well, sort of but the problem is that mythological Lilith was the mother of all demons with Cain. She was the first wife of Adam who wasn't subservient enough and got banned from Eden for being all uppity.

That puts her way past the timeline of when angels were first made.

drat I hope that the whole brother team up bit goes on for a while. These guys have some great chemistry together.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Identical reaction.

I was expecting him to say "Everyone." or something like that, because he didn't see anyone else when he was in Hell. I have absolutely no idea where they are going with this, but it should still be entertaining. This is a bad show, but that is ok.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was betting on Cain cause he had that "We are so hosed" :stare: look, and it fit with his brother's reaction about "whoops, taking responsibility for killing these pesky mortals" speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Titan posted:

It has to be Lilith. She's the mother of all demons, right?

Yes, but Satan isn't a demon. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Locked thread