Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, right up until they started continuing the series again last year, brought Lucifer back for shenanigans in a sub-par continuation of that comic.

I just pretend it doesn't exist. I think that's the most reasonable course of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

grack posted:

I just pretend it doesn't exist. I think that's the most reasonable course of action.

Wait how does this happen? At the end of the original comic series Lucifer gives all of his power to Maze

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Snak posted:

I'm wondering if he's even in the present.

If they are still randomly munging storylines, then it could be some kind of take off on Lucifer crossing through the realms to get his wings back from Izanami..

Thats a high-budget route though. So probably not.

quote:

Needing his wings back, Lucifer visited Izanami's Hell. Powerless, he entered the house of windowless rooms, outsmarted the various Gods and Goddesses, and got his wings back.

They could compress Chloe into Ellaine (weird, but still...), and bring in Michael I guess... but thats probably was too complicated and a long arc for a show that tries to avoid long complicated arcs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Titan posted:

Wait how does this happen? At the end of the original comic series Lucifer gives all of his power to Maze

I have no idea. I haven't read any of the new series and don't intend to for the very simple reason that it fucks up what is a fantastic finish to the original run.

FRINGE posted:

They could compress Chloe into Ellaine (weird, but still...), and bring in Michael I guess... but thats probably was too complicated and a long arc for a show that tries to avoid long complicated arcs.

I doubt they'll go this route, not because the show is averse to long story arcs (this season proved that), but for the very simple reason that the show and original comic run have very little in common besides names and the odd shout-out to specific events.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

grack posted:

Sounds like a Scrubs situation to be certain. Ruining a high point by trying to drag it on afterwords as a shell of itself and ruining the emotional climaxes set up before.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zebulon posted:

Sounds like a Scrubs situation to be certain. Ruining a high point by trying to drag it on afterwords as a shell of itself and ruining the emotional climaxes set up before.

In this case, it's most likely an attempt to capitalize on the TV series.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Have they even said in the show that Luci is an Archangel? He is just a normal angel isn't he? They haven't mentioned Michael or Gabriel either. Amenadiel seems like a mash up of both Michael and comic version of Amenadiel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Throwing the bits of the sword in with the portal to Mom's Universe: a way of getting rid of them, or setting up the potential for Mom's eventual return when she cuts another hole using it?
I would assume that as she'll have her full power back and appears to be God's equal, if she wanted to she could just make her own sword that can cut through universes. :shrug:

Argue posted:

Hello, I asked in here last year but I am interested in watching this and wanted to know how it's progressed. Is this show largely case of the week like CSI, case of the week with B-plots that delve into bigger arcs like iZombie/Veronica Mars, or is this a Person of Interest deal where it slowly abandons all pretense of being a procedural in favor of doing a story with far bigger stakes?
Person of Interest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I watched a season a half of person​ of interest and it never stopped being a boring as poo poo procedural. I understand at some point that it becomes about something bigger, but in contrast Lucifer is about overarching stories starting in the first season.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snak posted:

I watched a season a half of person of interest and it never stopped being a boring as poo poo procedural. I understand at some point that it becomes about something bigger, but in contrast Lucifer is about overarching stories starting in the first season.

Person of Interest seems designed to annoy literally everyone. If you like the start you'll be disappointed when it switches to something completely different halfway through. If you'd have liked the thing it turns into, you'll be annoyed that you have to watch the first half to get to it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the man character would be more charismatic if he was just played by a cardboard standup.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm a little surprised I even have to ask for this, but can someone make a gif of the maze trixie fistbump?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Titan posted:

Have they even said in the show that Luci is an Archangel? He is just a normal angel isn't he? They haven't mentioned Michael or Gabriel either. Amenadiel seems like a mash up of both Michael and comic version of Amenadiel.

His an archangel just without his wings he doesn't have his powers really

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The show hasn't specified any classes of angels has it? The impression given is that they all grew up like a bunch of siblings, with older/younger siblings being the only real power dynamic.

It would be pretty cool if they had like a weird, eldritch angel as described Book of Genesis next season. Luci could comment that he/she's the odd one in the family or something.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

His an archangel just without his wings he doesn't have his powers really

Not really true? In this show, at least, the angels seem to all be strong/fast/tough and have one unique power. Lucifer can find someone's deepest desires, Amenadiel can slow time, Uriel can act like a whiny poo poo and dress horribly see and manipulate patterns, etc.

Lucifer didn't lose that power when he cut off his wings, but Amenadiel lost both his power and his wings when he lost faith in himself.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

grack posted:

Not really true? In this show, at least, the angels seem to all be strong/fast/tough and have one unique power. Lucifer can find someone's deepest desires, Amenadiel can slow time, Uriel can act like a whiny poo poo and dress horribly see and manipulate patterns, etc.

Lucifer didn't lose that power when he cut off his wings, but Amenadiel lost both his power and his wings when he lost faith in himself.

Well Amenadiel also used to be able to teleport and stuff, right? Lucifer prayed to him that one time so he'd appear and stop the bullet and he showed up out of nowhere. That seems like the primary ability granted by wings.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

Well Amenadiel also used to be able to teleport and stuff, right? Lucifer prayed to him that one time so he'd appear and stop the bullet and he showed up out of nowhere. That seems like the primary ability granted by wings.

I'm guessing he just, you know, flew?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, he flies at super-speed while in bullet-time. So, to mortals, it's practically teleportation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snak posted:

Also the man character would be more charismatic if he was just played by a cardboard standup.

There's a reason for that, and there is definite growth and development of John, but eh, if the show's not for you it's not for you.

I consider it some of the best TV ever (along with Legion), but like others have said it shows only glimmers of what it eventually becomes during the 1st season which is annoying. I think CBS had far more input and Nolan was going along to get along so he could get at least a multi-season deal out of it. It completely goes off the rails (in a fantastically good way) mid 2nd season and only occasionally does a "Oh yeah, we're a procedural" episode unrelated to the overarching plot.

You can definitely see the seeds of what Nolan does with Westworld in the last couple of seasons of PoI.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like Finch a lot, so I'm basically watching the show for him and the dog.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snak posted:

I like Finch a lot, so I'm basically watching the show for him and the dog.

Any show that makes me cry over the death of a machine is doing it's job 110%. I probably cared more about that drat machine than any of the actual people.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

Person of Interest was cool, might be time for a rewatch.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm a little surprised I even have to ask for this, but can someone make a gif of the maze trixie fistbump?

Your wish, my timewasting...

Dekenai fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 8, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dekenai posted:

Person of Interest was cool, might be time for a rewatch.

Your wish, my timewasting...

Thank you goonsir.

She's a pretty good kid actor, but I love how she's just barely holding it together in that scene.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Argue posted:

Hello, I asked in here last year but I am interested in watching this and wanted to know how it's progressed. Is this show largely case of the week like CSI, case of the week with B-plots that delve into bigger arcs like iZombie/Veronica Mars, or is this a Person of Interest deal where it slowly abandons all pretense of being a procedural in favor of doing a story with far bigger stakes?

If you've seen the show Life with Damian Lewis, it's a lot like that, except they do a slightly better job of occasionally tying the procedural aspect of the show to the main plot.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DivisionPost posted:

If you've seen the show Life with Damian Lewis, it's a lot like that, except they do a slightly better job of occasionally tying the procedural aspect of the show to the main plot.

I loved that show so much. I was devastated when they cancelled it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I loved that show so much. I was devastated when they cancelled it.

Same. I do appreciate that they managed to wrap up the main arc after they got the cancel order.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 3 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nvzqnEtCw
Looks like some of those clips are from the flashback episode when Lucifer first comes to LA.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've also announced Tom Welling joining the cast as Decker's new boss/love interest.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

They've also announced Tom Welling joining the cast as Decker's new boss/love interest.

On one hand I trust this show to crush it, on the other hand noooooooooooope

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

They should do a scene where someone buys him a new suit, and he throws a temper tantrum and refuses to wear it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gently caress that noise

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Counterpoint: you get to watch lucifer tear Welling to shreds with his razor sharp wit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Counter-counterpoint: I'll need to rewrite all of my fanfiction

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Welp, I just lost all interest in the show.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hope they 're not gonna milk this whole romance thing too much. I've been worried it's gonna go the Bones route since day one and be endless seasons of "will they or wont they" when the romance plotline isn't really that interesting compared to THE FREAKING DEVIL

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think you guys and gals are missing the obvious. We get to see Lucifer gently caress with Tom welling for a season. And Dan. This is going to be amazing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm surprised Dan is still alive given that, you know, he banged Lucifer's mom a couple of times.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

grack posted:

I'm surprised Dan is still alive given that, you know, he banged Lucifer's mom a couple of times.

Nah, that was some other woman whose body Lucifer's mom was using.

Basically, Dan raped her and the show is just going to ignore that tidbit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Basically, Dan's a necrophiliac raped her and the show is just going to ignore that tidbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think this show would be great with more Maze as a bounty hunter. Better yet, spin-off/constant crossover.

• Locked thread