Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm enjoying the show. Its basically Castle but with magic, but I like Castle so thats pretty much fine with me. Its not a great use of the source material, but its still a fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I knew I recognised Coma-Cop, its the guy who played Devil in Justified.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

evilmiera posted:

Sure, but in less than a week, to a very odd and specific size?

Edit: The only kind of item I can figure them putting in a case shaped like that is a large unfurled scroll of some type, though I think it would be tilted in that scenario to have something for the scroll to rest on and be easier to read.

Its a big flat see through case. You could put literally anything in it that was fairly flat, and you wanted to look at but not touch. Manuscripts, tapestries, swords, knives all spring to mind as things an antiquities dealer might have occasion to display that he could have used the case for. In any case, this guy;

Josh Lyman posted:

This is literally the most ridiculous criticism I've ever seen in TV IV.

has a very good point.

This weeks episode, I was kind of hoping the priest would be added to the supporting cast.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A few episodes ago he was playing "king of pain" on the piano. Which is great and all, but I'd somehow never actually heard "King of Pain", and so I was sitting here wondering "Why the gently caress is he playing Wierd Al's King of Suede?".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Eventually he'll realise that his true wings are all the friends he's made along the way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Binary Logic posted:

I don't know how closely you are watching this show but there is an overarching unsolved crime being investigated that's being very slowly revealed and might not even be resolved or concluded in Season 1.

Then what in the world are you bitching about?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Binary Logic posted:

In this episode, the philanthropist's wife publicly 'confessed' . But she had not been read her rights so the confession would not be admissible in court. She would need to be arrested, offered a lawyer, statement taken, Decker would have to gather evidence, get witness statements, wait for the coroner's report, type up all the notes, etc etc. She'd work on this case for weeks.
However tomorrow (ie next episode) this will all be forgotten and Chloe will be assigned a new homicide case. Because Lucifer. Or because "police procedural". This 'murderer of the week' angle is the weakest, or thinnest, part of the show for me.

I don't know how closely you are watching this show but there is an overarching unsolved crime being investigated that's being very slowly revealed and might not even be resolved or concluded in Season 1.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, he wasn't gonna kill him.

He was going to punish him. Angela can't kill mortals.

Don't mean he can't break various pieces off and make him suffer.

He said that was "dads rules", so I'm pretty sure Lucifer can kill people if he wants to. Its not like he feels a need to stick to his fathers rules.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even if he's able to, I don't think he really wants to. He just wants to punish dudes who deserve it.

Totally agree, I just think it's worth noting that it's probably that he's choosing not to kill people, rather than that he can't.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wait, people are responding to the obvious troll? Seriously? He came into a comic book TV show thread, notable for the show being nothing like the comic and said (After, its worth noting, the sseason has finished) and said that he hoped its nothing like the comic, and also comcs suck. Does that seem like someone who is arguing in good faith to you?

Anyway, if we are giving guesses for "mom", I'm going to stake out left field; "Mom" is a lovely old lady called "Mrs God", and Lucifer is scared because he knows when she catches up with him he is so totally grounded for locking her in hell. No TV for at least a millenia. The bulk of the second season is him contriving ways to sneak out to hang with his friends.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, considering you apparently need a body to jump into when you leave hell (or heaven too, maybe), maybe it will just come up as human blood since the guy Lucifer hopped into was human.

I'm only halfway through the episode, but they have said Lucifers mom doesnt have a body, but she isnt an angel or demon. I dont think they've said that Lucifer took a human body. In fact, that wouldnt make a lot of sense because of him having to cut off his wings/having the scars from the wings.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rappaport posted:

That All Along the Watchtower thing was the most obnoxious troll :haw:

Honestly his overenunciated singing is one of my favourite things in the show. I laughed for probably about 15 straight minutes at his version of "Sinnerman". If they released a "Tom Ellis Overpronounces the hits" album I would buy it day one, no questions asked.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I really liked the "You have no idea who I am, do you? Well I'LL SHOW YOU!" <cut to one helluva party>, because I'll be honest it faked me out and for a split second I thought he was going to go all devil-face, so the reveal totally blindsided me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Snak posted:

It hasn't really been established that they would recognize eachother in new bodies. Lucifer only recognized his mother because of what she said and hoe she acted.

So yes, I don't actually think she's Azrael, that would be really dumb. But, people keep saying "Lucifer would recognize X" and I don't think that's really been established.

Didnt he recognise Uriel immediately, from across the street, or am I misremembering? Not to mention that Amendiels body now on earth looks exactly as he looked as an angel running hell in S1, and lucifers body is the body he had as an angel (literally the same, he has the scars from cutting off his wings). Has it at any point been said in the show that Angels need new bodies on earth, or are people assuming thats the case because it is in other shows/media (cough Supernatural cough)?

Edit: His mum needed a new body obviously, but that was explicitly commented on, and she isnt an angel.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

muscles like this! posted:

Guess who's showing up when this comes back in May? Timothy Olyphant! He'll be playing a man who has been institutionalized because he is claiming he is God.

Wrong Deadwood alum; Timothy Odmundson, Lassiter from psych/Cain from supernatural/The king from galavant, not Olyphant (Raylan from Justified).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DoggPickle posted:

This is something that I feel more shows are starting to understand or WILL be doing shortly.. I mean, you need the individual character backgrounds and their particular pre-conceptions, but I don't NEED 10 episodes for the "gang to get together" when it's quite obvious that this is going to be a gang.

You watched Preacher too, huh?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aleph Null posted:

That's debatable. The "Lucifer is solidly a comedy first" part, I mean.

And the Preacher comment. We watched about four episodes. Does it get better?

Sort of I guess, but also kind of not. Like, by the end of the season the characters are all lined up for the show to actually start (eg they are where they should have been since like episode 2), but it felt like a long trek to get there. In essence Preacher season 1 is a drag with a few good bits, but at least by the end its got its ducks in a row for Preacher to actually start. While both are based on Vertigo properties that take liberties with their source material, Lucifer is an example of a great cast lifting the material they are given. Preacher is an example of a great cast being given nothing to do for huge stretches of time. While I'm fine with Lucifer keeping the base concept and nothing else I felt like Preacher should have either kept more of the source (the comic has Jesse blowing town pretty much immediately rather than hanging around moping for-loving-ever) or less (there is a show that could be made about Jesse sticking around bumfuck texas, but that would require him to not have one foot out the door the whole time and them eliminating his motivation from the comics).

Its possible preacher marathons better than it watched week to week, there were a lot of odd structural decisions watched weekly (a friend of mine who wasnt familiar with the comic was REALLY loving confused when one episode opened with stuff set in the old west, only not to be mentioned or referenced for I think two weeks after that. If you are going to do that I think it would have been better if it had been done in small chunks but every week rather than "A bunch of cowboy stuff that I hope you remember a month from now when some of it becomes relevant").

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Amenadiel can slow down time, so maybe he'll have to collect 3 craps that can restore/boost Amanadiels powers then persuade him to help.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I think whatever they do will involve at least partially restoring Amendiels powers; He has time stuff, he has brought Dan back from the dead before, and it gives the writers "What do you MEAN you wont help me do the thing, Brother?" drama to mine. Probably also collecting and assembling the mcguffin.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So uh, not sure if it's a spoiler or not: He was supposed to reveal himself to Chloe this episode. Did that actually happen? I only finished season two, and it's getting annoying.

I like the show a bunch, but tbh if you cant get past "when is he going to reveal himself to Chloe" you are in for a bad time. I dont think that will ever happen, it'd be too big a departure from the status quo. I could be wrong, but no matter how long the show runs I think we'll still be discussing how they faked out/backed out/walked back Lucifer showing Chloe that hes the real devil. Her catching a glimpse of the devil face in a reflection early S1 is probably the closest we'll ever get, and she... I dont remember. Probably persuaded herself she had imagined it?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

KIT HAGS posted:

See also: Sleepy Hollow, also by Fox.

I was gonna say, that was hands down the biggest drop in quality from season one to season two that I have ever seen. While there has been a drop in quality, I'm still enjoying Lucifer okay (although I'm a couple of episodes behind), and I kind of feel that S1 wasnt as good as S1 of Sleepy Hollow, and this season isnt as bad as S2-3 of sleepy hollow.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was on the whole doing a bit better than my last terrible show I wanted to live but didn't. RIP Sleepy Hollow, we will never see a Lucifer crossover.

The first season of Sleepy Hollow was So drat Good. I have literally never seen such a rapid drop-off in quality as that show moving into season 2.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

I can't believe someone considered this worth saving. 3 seasons was way more than enough.

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ijyt posted:

Huh, wonder what that means for the UK, as Amazon had rights to it here. Conversely, Netflix had rights to The Expanse in the UK and now Amazon owns that.

I'm curious about that too. Will the first seasons disappear from amazon and show up on netflix, or will you need amazon prime to watch old seasons and netflix to watch new?

• Locked thread