Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wolpertinger posted:

This was really stupid and yet somehow strangely entertaining anyway. I'll probably keep watching it.

Same way I feel about Supergirl. And I'll keep watching both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xoidanor posted:

My bad, when I say eccentric genius I mean that specific character archetype which has been re-used a billion times since what, numbers, house and the mentalist set the ball rolling? Police procedural oriented around a white guy with a talent/superpower, who is also a weirdo.

Don't forget Psych!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When Malcolm wakes up, he's going to find out that Chloe has been investigating him for corruption the entire time he was down. It may make things complicated for Chloe, which would serve Amenidiel's purposes by making her less focused on Lucifer.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't think coma cop is gonna be that pissed off. He knew she was watching right before the shooting started. I think he's gonna know a lot more about what really happened and they'll work together to figure out who it was. It was absolutely his partner

Amenadiel comes off as a whiny bitch to me. "You've had to put up with hell for eons against your wishes, but now I've had to do it for five whole years. This is super unfair and you need to take over again."

I think he's more pissed that Luci is going against God's Will, but he feels like he's the one being punished for it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snak posted:

The only Stars original I've watched is Outlander, but it's a very high production value show.

Ash vs. Evil Dead was pretty drat good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WarLocke posted:

So am I alone in thinking that that one quick scene with Maz pulling out a Luci-feather from her little jewel box might imply that she had something to do with the wings being stolen in the first place?

No.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

odiv posted:

I don't think that's what the scene implies, but I do think she was involved in the tip off.

Also, how the gently caress are satan's wings so flammable?

I assumed he had doused them in something.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

odiv posted:

"Hey detective! You need your roots done!"

I thought that's what he said but then I was like, "Nah."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I still want to see Lucifer pick up some dudes. He's the devil, for Christ's sake! He should be sampling from both platters.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dongattack posted:

This show was a pleasant surprise, glad to read it's getting a season 2! Stopped watching somewhere in the middle cause they started downplaying the supernatural and i got the unpleasant taste that they were trying to make Bones 2, but i guess that was a fakeout or they changed their mind cause the last part of the season was very good i thought.

I just hope they don't milk the whole "Chloe is always 1inch from discovering Lucifer is Satan, but naaaaah the devil isnt real, lol lets solve crime" for so long that it gets too stale.

If she didn't make him mortal, she'd already know. Let's see how long they can milk that before explaining it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm just glad that all of the obvious ways that Amenadiel was being even worse than Lucifer in the first season has come back to bite him. I was afraid they wouldn't address his "sins". Lucifer is behaving exactly as God expects, but Amenadiel is supposed to be better than that. He was lying, cheating, manipulating, and eventually loving a demon. Now he must atone. The first step was apologizing to Lucifer's therapist. Also, really glad to see his character come to understand Lucifer better and grudgingly accept him as he is, especially when they were hunting down mom.

The only character who doesn't evolve is Lucifer and that's part of his charm. Even Maze is growing as a person / demon.

Also, Mom seems to have "subtle" down whereas her son, Lucifer is all about being blatant. I still do not trust her or anything she says.

Edit: I was so in to the episode and enjoying it then I was totally shocked when Chloe was on the screen interrogating her daughter. I realized that the show would be just fine without Chloe. The adventures of Lucifer and Amenadiel would be fine.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Would watch a spin-off of just Maze and Chloe as roommates having adventures with the Girls' Night Team.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Holyshoot posted:

She'd just wake up. "teeheehee what a weird dream"

He is mortal around her, so there is that.

Maybe they'll finally explain it this season. :iiam:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How can this show be so good? The acting is always fantastic.

Tom Ellis really sells the not-as-unhinged-as-you-think-hiding-behind-the-wacky-or-am-I role spectacularly. Getting to see him try opening up to his therapist and watching his face as it went from hopeful to "that's what I figured" sort of resignation was great. No words, but you knew exactly how he felt in that moment. Trapped, knowing it would only make things worse, hoping beyond hope that he is wrong, then proving himself right and grudgingly accepting it without anger or malice.

Also, the surprising relationship between Maze and Trixie. Maze is opening up, too, showing a side of herself that nobody else in the show has seen. It showed real vulnerability and humility for her to take that opportunity to put herself on the line and show he true face. It could have gone like Lucifer's reveal (oh my God, everything I believe is wrong), but the innocence of childhood trumps the dogma of professionalism.
Both scenes were tear-jerking in their own way.

And Amenadiel finally coming to terms with the fact that nobody knows what God wants because God doesn't tell anyone, even the angels, was poignant. He doesn't know that Uriel was so sure he knew exactly what God needed and that he was prepared to smite his own mother for it, but that could have easily been Amenadiel. Just think about what he did in S1 to "fall". He thought he was doing the right thing the whole time.

Every single character is getting developed except Chloe. Even Detective Douche is getting a better arc.
Suits me, she's the most boring person on the entire show.

I never thought a show about sympathy for the devil would be my favorite show on TV, but it is. My second favorite is Supergirl, so take that for what it's worth.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snak posted:

I didn't like it previously, but I liked it here where it looked really sad and sympathetic.

Same.

It looks like someone who was skinned alive, like Frank from Hellraiser sans Larry-skin.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VendaGoat posted:

Another war on Heaven.

Looks like Mom plans to push Lucifer to give in to the knife and murder some humans so he'll get over his love of them and go on the Crusade with her and Amenadiel to "get God's attention" with bloodshed and carnage which can't be good.
At least, that's what I got.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VendaGoat posted:

It obliterates anything, soul and all. So, if you kill Luci his soul goes to hell. Maze's blades can actually harm a demon. Regular knives can not.

The blade basically treats divinity as humans.

The blade also has a desire to kill things that infects the person who holds it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Amenadiel's issues are likely psychosomatic, the result of feelings of guilt.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zebulon posted:

Oh gently caress. Chloe might literally be a scion.

Wasn't that a car by Ford?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
So, even Uriel's annihilation was God's plan? poo poo, that guy really was an unlikable doof.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

JossiRossi posted:

It was interesting, the episode after Lucifer killed his brother there were multiple times a random person would encounter him and say something like, "Oh it's ok, it isn't your fault". Like 3 times in an episode. I wonder if there's been any other instances of "maybe god talking through people"?

You're right! I caught that when I watched it but promptly forgot.
Could be? The writers seem pretty clever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tiggum posted:

On the one hand, yes, but on the other hand, one of the very few bisexual characters on TV is literally the devil...

He's a character we are supposed to sympathize if not empathize with.

And it was so drat affirming to see a bisexual dude on TV who isn't "confused" but just "yep, some dudes are hot; whatta gonna do?" Like, I couldn't shut up about it. I was so happy.

Of course, they immediately, in the same episode have him swear off all other partners for Chloe. So there is that.

But it was still nice.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Coyote Ugly posted:

I am ecstatic they finally got to the kiss at the end there, they've been building up to this all season. Maze is still my favorite character in the show, and I kind of wonder if she might hook up with Dan given how much they like to have her tease him at times. Even if it's just for a fling, it is still funny to me, though, how uncomfortable she makes him.

I have to admit I am still a bit clueless to the whole Chloe being a Miracle and how that is going to help them get back into heaven using Lucifer.

I assume she will somehow help Lucifer restore the divinity he lost when he cut off and burned his wings and help restore his positive emotions like loyalty and duty so he'll want to go back to do his job with his hell-bride by his side.

And Maze is great how she almost gets it and then doesn't. She's doing what Lucifer did in S1 and it's cool to see a different character have a similar arc.

And the kiss, the whole build-up to it was warm fuzzies all over the place. It was like a Rom Com ending and it was silly and beautiful at the same time.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I assumed the case of the week was a heavy handed way of bringing the idea of free will to the forefront. The same thing Mom and Maze tried to exercise before the convenient wall picture. The same thing Luci is now fighting through on a personal level.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Red Oktober posted:

Or not-quite-doing-so-although-you're-expecting-it, as in Final Destination 2.

The last garbage disposal gag I remember was Arsenio Hall in Amazon Women on the Moon.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VendaGoat posted:

Season one did. But your point more then stands for season two.

Tom does all of that acting with his eyes and it is amazing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hallelujah!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tide posted:

Pro tip:
Lucifer is solidly a comedy first...the other two? Not so much

That's debatable. The "Lucifer is solidly a comedy first" part, I mean.

And the Preacher comment. We watched about four episodes. Does it get better?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Echophonic posted:

I see they've opted to be sensitive towards the mentally ill.

:same:

That's some stock Hollywood Mental Illness right there. Appropriate for where it takes place, I suppose, but kind of insensitive and offensive. I still enjoyed the slow-mo walk-through of the chaos.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How are you seeing these a day early?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snak posted:

I like Finch a lot, so I'm basically watching the show for him and the dog.

Any show that makes me cry over the death of a machine is doing it's job 110%. I probably cared more about that drat machine than any of the actual people.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snak posted:

Dan didn't rape anyone. Goddes pulled a Zeus and took over thebody of a mortal dor her own devices. Also, I'm still fuzzy on why she's alive, since the whole reason she was eligible was cvia "heaven can wait" rules, aka "she had just died and no one knew". So the fact that Charlotte is magically alive, despite the fact that Goddess explicitly possessed her corpse, is baffling to me. I

They wanted to keep the actor on the show but were writing out Goddess. They'll figure out a way to make it work, or they will never explain how it is possible at all.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just because "Goddess" was involved doesn't mean the original woman wasn't raped.

Lol. The Goddess took over a dead body and enthusiastically consented. It was not rape. Not in any sense that matters.

We do not live in a world where someone can take over a dead body, have sex as that body, then abandon it and grab the soul from hell / heaven and put it back in the original body returning it to life. Like, there is no legal precedence for that as far as I know.
She wasn't drunk or passed out or unable to consent, bitch was dead and gone. Like someone else said, if anything it was necrophila but even that's not the case because the Goddess was running that body like a regular human body with regular biological processes. I'm sure she ate, drank, slept, pooped, all the things a live person does.

Yeah, it will be incredibly awkward if it comes up, and she will definitely consider it rape because like hell she's going to believe the primordial Goddess was inhabiting her slightly dead body. That doesn't make it actually rape. She doesn't have all the facts. Which are fantastic and unbelievable.

And why am I debating this in a thread about a show where the devil runs a nightclub and solves crimes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pesmerga posted:

Three quarters through the fourth episode and I’m tempted to call it quits. Does this have a new stable of writers or something? Show feels tired.

Edit: although the last two minutes pulled it back somewhat. That’s what I watch this show for.

Same. I am getting pretty tired of Lucifer following the same arc over and over again and the last couple of minutes was the show saying "wow, Lucifer sure is stuck doing the same thing over and over again because he is afraid of growth and change not because we are hack writers."
They aren't hack writers. The stuff with Dr. Linda and Amenadiel last week was inspired. It's like Lucifer is an agent of growth for everybody else while he throws tantrums and whines like a big stupid baby.
Edit: they pointed out that Lucifer has changed. He just won't admit it and accept it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pesmerga posted:

Ugh. Unless there is a massive quality increase over the next few episodes, I could see this getting cancelled. It’s not quite as bad as the first few episodes of the first season, but it’s getting there.

No, the first few episodes were better than this. I am worried.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

wormil posted:

There was the throwaway line about the new LT in the hospital but that could have been shot later. But it doesn't fit into this spot on the timeline. I'm starting to wonder if a few of the episodes weren't re-shot, or maybe scenes from different episodes mixed around, that would explain why Chloe's appearance is different scene to scene. In one scene she's wearing pink lipstick and pretty girl face, in the next her eyes are dark again and lips are a natural color, cheekbones more prominent. Her clothing style switches up. She and Lucifer seem to have completely lost interest in one another. I'm a dude, and if I'm noticing it, it's pretty obvious. I could be wrong and the show has some clever underplot that is yet to be revealed, like Mum is possessing Chloe on the sly, but I doubt it.

Lucifer is still defying God but denying his feelings for Chloe but his guilt at "not being there" belies his true feelings.

Chloe has been patient with Lucifer and his weird play-acting being the devil for two years. He finally says he's going to drop a truth bomb, then disappears, then sits her down all serious and doubles down on the stuff she can't stand. She's over this poo poo. I don't blame her.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

wormil posted:

Yeah, feelings are like that, you just turn them on and off.

Are you not a human being? Have you never just been so over someone's poo poo that you just shut them out and try your best to move on? If she didn't have to work with him, she wouldn't even be doing that. The Bad Lieutenant pretty much forced her to.
And, while you can't "turn them on and off" you can suppress and ignore feelings until they explode out from some minor thing that is only tangentially related. It'll come. Right now, she's hoping if she buries it enough, it will die, but because God ordained it or whatever, it won't.

Their entire relationship is profoundly unhealthy because they are both in denial and honestly, don't really want to be in a relationship with each other.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

wormil posted:

I feel bad for her but she has zero charisma and no on screen chemistry with the cast.

She'd be awesome in a completely different show. I like her and her personality, but it is just as "off" as Lucifer's and he's the Devil.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
That was dark. But still some good TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Sinnerman turned out to be either a dumbass or planned to get arrested just so he could cut out his own eyes in a way that would freak out Lucifer. Was it a power play? Was it the actions of a madman? Was it desperation?
Tune in next week (not this week), I guess.

Edit: still hearing "Sinnerman Toast Crunch" jingle in my head for some reason.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 8, 2017

• Locked thread